30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ndall

Finally got off my backside, registered for adfree and installed r5. Tis well worth it. Been playing all evening, installing all those 2.1-only apps I've been missing out on.

Think it may be marginally slower than the silky-smooth MCR 3.2, but I guess it's doing more and it's still early days. Could just be a couple of those extra apps I've installed running in the background. Also haven't figured out how to turn off weather widget animations yet, so that might be slowing things down a bit.

I've noticed that if I'm in an app for a while and I return to the home screen, I quite often get a loading message for a few seconds. This happened only very rarely on 3.2. Anyone know if this is to do with the ROM, Eclair, or something silly i've done to cause Rosie to crash? Perhaps related to me restoring too much from Titanium Backup (SMS, Wifi access points, browser bookmarks etc)?

Also, I've just discovered that although that although Voice Input is in the OS, you can't access it from the Sense keyboard, which seems like bit of a missed opportunity. You can switch to the vanilla android keyboard but that's a bit rubbish compared to Sense in other ways so isn't ideal. Is it worth looking into adding a modded keyboard to the ROM? Just installed this and it seems to do the trick. Don't know if there are others. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=663608

Guest MbmC

I have two issues.

I've tried installing from the kitchen, all variations including and excluding A2SD/A2SD+, with and without the new radio. Have used 3 different SD cards, partition'd with Gparted or Amon's recovery. Full wipe everytime as well.

But it always goes into a boot loop...

On the other hand, installing Paul's prebaked ROMs. I have no trouble at all. What gives?

I usually include HTC_CIME in ROMs from the kitchen. Is this a possible cause?

Also, when or which of the prebaked ROMs include Chinese input?

Guest enemywithin
I've just upgraded my HTC Hero 1.5 (offical 1.76.405.6) to 2.1 (modaco r5 with additions with radio image 3.32.405.1). I restored my SMS datas, HTC Mail datas and all user apps/data with Titanium Backup.

I have 3 troubles :

- The standard "Manage application" force close when it is loaded from the Android menu. It loads well when it loaded from Titanium Backup but force close when I change the sort type.

As mentioned, I had the same problem, plus missing widgets, migrating from the Taiwaneese repack. Solved by a wipe and then restoring from MyBackup Pro rather than Titanium Backup.

However there were still other issues, such as invisible applications (couldn't launch nor uninstall while Market said it was installed; solved by adb install -r) and seemingly unmotivated restarts of the Sense home screen. I finally downgraded to the Taiwaneese repack, which works like a charm. As mentioned in that thread, a European repack would be great - a kitchen perfect.

Guest samosan

Paul, thanks a lot for the great ROM! It's working a treat!

I've got one issue so far though: The GPS doesn't seem to be picking up any sats anymore after the flash. I've wiped, flashed ROM, then flashed radio in that order, is there anything else I should have done as well?

I've been checking it via the app GPS Status and Google Maps.

Again, great ROM, and thanks!

Guest TheMrMay
Did you wipe AFTER flashing the ROM?

P

I did, but then I reflashed the r5 ROM, as the first time I kept getting bootloops. I haven't wiped after this current ROM i'm using though, should I?

Guest miammiam9

Great Rom, but Clock on Sense(Desk Clock, World clock, Alarms, Stopwatch and Timer) are English Only!!!!!!

And sometimes wheather animation don't stop when i lauch the application panel...

Guest tiekenei

I'm experiencing another weird issue: the browser won't load pages when on EDGE or 3G, only on wifi.

Anybody got a clue as to what this might be related?

Edit: Never mind, seems like the APN settings weren't completely correct after auto-detection. Other apps worked fine though (e.g. Twitter for Android, Market, ...), only the browser wouldn't work.

Edited by tiekenei

Guest saintadam

I had a strange issues upgrading from r4 to r5. Did a straight update, no wipe, etc and it seemed to go in first time.

Everything was there and working fine. Checked out the software, where it said REBOOT REQUIRED, so I did. When it booted I had lost ALL of the HTC widgets, both from the scene I was using AND from the list of ones that could be added!!

Tried a full wipe, etc but nothing. Have gone back to r4 as I do not want go back through the fag of having to repartition my SD card AGAIN, having doen it when moving to MCR3.2.

Are there any other solutions out there?

Guest Benkeeper
I've got one issue so far though: The GPS doesn't seem to be picking up any sats anymore after the flash. I've wiped, flashed ROM, then flashed radio in that order, is there anything else I should have done as well?

Hi,

Try to switch on the phone with an active GPS.

Turn on the GPS, switch off and switch on the phone.

I don't remember where I read this trick, but it seems that it can solve this kind of GPS issue.

(and try it outdoor of course, to avoid bad satellite signal troubles).

However this rom is really good and stable, but did someone encounter data connection problem ?

I sometimes lost data connection without any reason, I have to manually turn off and turn on data connection to make it work again.

Is there any problem of this kind with the new radio image ?

(I'm on Orange french network)

Guest Shaulian
I encounter the same issue first time I boot the phone with the new ROM, my GPS was unable to synchronize. I powered off/on the phone with activated GPS and now it works like a charm :D

Worked also for me.. :)

Thanks !!

Edited by Shaulian

Guest chalten07
However this rom is really good and stable, but did someone encounter data connection problem ?

I sometimes lost data connection without any reason, I have to manually turn off and turn on data connection to make it work again.

Is there any problem of this kind with the new radio image ?

(I'm on Orange french network)

Hello,

I also experienced similar problems with r5 plus radio update => I am also in France with SFR

I have changed the radio to this one => 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 (ftp://xda:[email protected]/Hero/Radio-ROMs/update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26-signed.zip)

It seems far better now !!

Guest gynoide
You can get rid of those funny characters by entering:

alias ls='ls --color=none'

Cheers,

Dan

It is solved. Thanks a lot Dan !

How to configure this alias in the phone in order to not use this command at each adb shell connection ?

As mentioned, I had the same problem, plus missing widgets, migrating from the Taiwaneese repack. Solved by a wipe and then restoring from MyBackup Pro rather than Titanium Backup.

However there were still other issues, such as invisible applications (couldn't launch nor uninstall while Market said it was installed; solved by adb install -r) and seemingly unmotivated restarts of the Sense home screen. I finally downgraded to the Taiwaneese repack, which works like a charm. As mentioned in that thread, a European repack would be great - a kitchen perfect.

Thanks for your advice enemywithin. I will consider to reinstall my firmware without Titanium Backup. :)

Regards,

Guest BoogWeed

I've been using Modaco since 1.4 with no problems and upgraded to MCR r5 yesterday and everything is great except:

1) Market is SUPER slow (already tried running the Market script)

2) A2SD doesn't seem to be working. Looknig at the first post again, it looks as if A2SD is only available through the online kitchen.

Is this the case?

If not, is there any reason it's not working for me?

I did a wipe before I upgraded and also wiped the EXT partition on the SD and then re-formated that and upgraded it to EXT3.

Thanks in advance! :)

Guest BoogWeed
I'll include that [A2SD] in the next round of prebakes.

P

Ok, just saw this which answers my question... :)

Any idea when this might be?

Also, Will I just be able to update the ROM and then move the apps to SD or will they have to be re-installed to the SD?

Thanks

Edited by BoogWeed

Guest sambartle

Anyone else having problems with Blutetooth Media after applying Modaco v4 or v5?

I've just connected up my headphones which worked fine in Modaco 3.x ROMs and most others and I can use them for phone and audio fine, but the controls on them for track skipping no longer work in this ROM.

I've also tried my in car connection and have the same problem.

I've tried a clean wipe and reinstall and still have the same problem.. Is it just me or is it broken in the 2.1 based ROMs?

Thanks,

Sam

Guest saintadam
Anyone else having problems with Blutetooth Media after applying Modaco v4 or v5?

I've just connected up my headphones which worked fine in Modaco 3.x ROMs and most others and I can use them for phone and audio fine, but the controls on them for track skipping no longer work in this ROM.

I've also tried my in car connection and have the same problem.

I've tried a clean wipe and reinstall and still have the same problem.. Is it just me or is it broken in the 2.1 based ROMs?

Thanks,

Sam

I understand, from having Bluetooth problems since moving to early MCR4 releases, that there are issues with Bluetooth stack in all 2.1 ROMs. My issue is that my Hero will now only connect to BT Audio on my Pioneer AVIC D3 and not the Bluetooth telephone audio. I am not bothered about the BT Music Audio as I have an MP3 player attached to the car via a hard control that I play music from.

I am hoping that a future 2.1 release (MCR4) will fix this issue.

Guest anderneo

Hi guys,

Haven't been on the forum for a while, it wasn't necessary :). However, my phone seems awfully slow. From ChompSMS to the browser, everything just feels.. slow.

I'm on R5 and never had any problems that I couldn't fix. This just gets annoying.. Is there anyone who can suggest a 'this could be ...'?

Thanks

Guest anderneo
I understand, from having Bluetooth problems since moving to early MCR4 releases, that there are issues with Bluetooth stack in all 2.1 ROMs. My issue is that my Hero will now only connect to BT Audio on my Pioneer AVIC D3 and not the Bluetooth telephone audio. I am not bothered about the BT Music Audio as I have an MP3 player attached to the car via a hard control that I play music from.

I am hoping that a future 2.1 release (MCR4) will fix this issue.

Will try using my old bluetooth headset. If I don't forget it, I will post tonight whether it works :)

Guest toxic-hero
From ChompSMS to the browser, everything just feels.. slow.

I'm on R5 and never had any problems that I couldn't fix. This just gets annoying.. Is there anyone who can suggest a 'this could be ...'?

could be some poorly written application or widget eating your memory. i would search the market for some app that will analyze memory consumption off running applications...