30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Musicmannetje

I have tried severalr ROMS in the past few weeks, and I keep coming/going back to Modaco 3.2 (indeed, the 1.6 version). This is the fastest, most stable and longer battery life rom of all!

I think we are just spoiled by this one great release and so no other rom compares to this one.

Guest toxic-hero
Have been using froydvillain for a while - and it's lightening fast, stable - brilliant rom. However, the battery life is terrible, same with villainrom12 (also a great 2.1 rom). So it's up to you. I'm currently coming back to modaco (as I end up doing every time) because no other rom compares in the battery life dept. For example, with villainrom - within an hour, it would have used 20/30% of my battery, without me even using the phone. With modaco, my phone lasts a good couple of days without needing a charge. But try it out - as I said, the rom is brilliant. If the battery issue could be sorted, I wouldn't look back.

that's strange. i don't have those battery issues. with froydvillain my battery lasts the same as with r5 - approx. 1 full day (moderate usage).

Edited by toxic-hero

that's strange. i don't have those battery issues. with froydvillain my battery lasts the same as with r5 - approx. 1 full day (moderate usage).

Agreed, my battery was suffering quite badly on froydvillain but a few settings and tweaks later i have it around the 1 day mark which is fine by me....the fact that they are releasing almost weekly updates has also led me to stick with the villainrom for now as it can only get better!

Guest volatile_ink
I have tried severalr ROMS in the past few weeks, and I keep coming/going back to Modaco 3.2 (indeed, the 1.6 version). This is the fastest, most stable and longer battery life rom of all!

I think we are just spoiled by this one great release and so no other rom compares to this one.

Agreed. IMHO, MCR 3.2 is the best rom for the Hero. Rock solid, fast, reliable, great battery life. Tried others and keep regretting wasting my time installing them! Going to stick with MCR 3.2 until I upgrade in Sept. 2011.... Hope MCR is still on the scene and producing great roms then!

Otherwise I might try an iPhone :huh: ;) :(

Guest toxic-hero
Agreed. IMHO, MCR 3.2 is the best rom for the Hero. Rock solid, fast, reliable, great battery life. Tried others and keep regretting wasting my time installing them! Going to stick with MCR 3.2 until I upgrade in Sept. 2011.... Hope MCR is still on the scene and producing great roms then!

mcr 3.2 is great but android 1.5 isn't. having such a good (expensive) phone and not be able to install latest apps and follow the development/improvements is not good enough for me. i chose an android device because of the open source software, so it doesn't need to get frozen in time after just one year.

Guest volatile_ink

It is a business after all. New hardware to run the new software.... Can't wait to see what's going to be out when I do upgrade in 12 months!!

Edited by volatile_ink

Guest ScreamerBG

Otherwise I might try an iPhone :P :) :(

MCR 3.2 is fast and reliable indeed, though it uses the old Android API and some apps don't support it anymore.

The official release of Android 2.1 for Hero was a major step for the whole Android community (due to phone popularity) and most of the developers now use the Android 2.1 SDK for their apps, making their apps incompatible with MCR 3.2 & Android 1.5. Some of the big examples is the Facebook app/widget, which since version 1.3 can only be installed on Android 2.1 and up.

I still keep a nandroid backup of my fully configured MCR 3.2, though i doubt i'll ever use it again - i did few steps to improve MCR R5 and i'm glad with the effect.

Here are the steps:

1. Change the kernel - try FlyKernel 09, though now FlyKernel 10a is released and might work even better.

2. Change the kernel's cpu scaling governor to minmax (only available in FlyKernel) and set the frequencies to min 176, max 528

3. Use dalvik2cache script i've posted in this topic by which you will get around 20MB more space on your internal memory

4. Use compcache script i've posted in this topic if you are using memory-hungry programs. Keep in mind that having over 70MB free ram is pointless. 70MB is enough for every Android app i've seen.

5. Use some task killer if you have unwanted apps running from start (they may be at background). Advanced Task Killer with autokill frequency 15min is good. Do not put the Advanced Task Killer in the ignore list - it should be killed too. Though the program does what it says, it eats around 3-8% CPU time while your display is on. Remember to add the applications you need to the ignore list so they won't get killed.

6. Use startup manager like Startup Manager and disable all the apps you have installed and are running at start. Some of the apps add a startup service which checks for updates & etc (even Adobe Photoshop...). Disable what you might think is useless. DO NOT touch the system services/processes.

7. Get Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher. HTC Sense might look "sleek" but its weather service, Rosie (that's the launcher) and other crap just sucks up your battery - especially the full screen weather effect. As weather replacement i'd suggest using the Fancy Widget, which was banned from the market because it looks EXACTLY as the HTC weather widget and of course works :( If you can't find it over the net - send me PM and i'll put it on rapidshare.com.

8. Disable Facebook for HTC Sense auto sync - Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Facebook... do sync it manually once a week or when you have added new friend in Facebook. You don't need it syncing every 2 hours for status updates while you have better Facebook widget on the market.

9. Diasble Weather auto sync if you did listen to my advice about the launcher and you are now using Fancy Widget for the weather - it's on same location as Facebook

9. Use 2G if your 3G reception is bad. You can check the quality in Settings -> About Phone -> Network. See the Signal Strength? The higher is better - note, the values are negatives. -50 is higher than -120 :(

Here are few tips:

1. Do NOT overclock. It's stupid - this is a handheld device relying on battery, if you recharge the battery often then that's not very "mobile", isn't it? Get a PSP/Nintendo if you are too much into games.

2. Do underclock. Especially when using GPS navigation software or digging the facebook/twitter from your phone. Those apps do way too many CPU cycles to refresh your screen for nothing. For GPS you won't see much difference between 352MHz and 528MHz, except that you lose the "sleek" effect. Though you get over 20% better battery life, which in term of hours is 1 more hour using the navigation software.

3. Do use CPU "friendly" apps. Unfortunately "shiny" and "sleek" means less battery life.

5. Do use effective GPS apps if you use GPS at all. I'd recommend Sygic & Navigon - simple, but they do their job perfectly (even with speedcams support and etc)

6. Do NOT use different CPU governor other than 'minmax'. You might read somewhere that 'ondemand' or 'conservative' is "cool" and "l33t", but NO, it's not. Those governors switch both the main bus and the memory bus speeds and that requires battery power due to different clock generator multipliers and internal sync procedures, but no need to go further in details.

Now i'm using the phone at least 2 days without recharging, mostly doing calls. I'm having Facebook widget sync on every 2 hours, Gmail sync on every 30 minutes, and HTC email sync on every 15 minutes and i'm receiving around 10-20 important emails each day.

Cheers

Edited by ScreamerBG

Guest Björn_de

i tested modaco for my hero as a free member.

i found the rom great so i decided to become an ad-free member to donate pauls work.

so, the hero dies and still there is no final android 2.1, only a beta-version.

there are now to ways to think about:

a.) live with the buggy 2.1 beta from Modaco

or

b.) wipe it like beckham from my hero and change to the darker side of the rom-world.

we will see...........i still don´t give up hope that paul will release a final..........but the time

shows that this will be a dream ........... far far away.........

Guest ScreamerBG
i tested modaco for my hero as a free member.

i found the rom great so i decided to become an ad-free member to donate pauls work.

so, the hero dies and still there is no final android 2.1, only a beta-version.

there are now to ways to think about:

a.) live with the buggy 2.1 beta from Modaco

or

b.) wipe it like beckham from my hero and change to the darker side of the rom-world.

we will see...........i still don´t give up hope that paul will release a final..........but the time

shows that this will be a dream ........... far far away.........

R5 is not buggy at all. It's based on original 2.1 release by HTC.

It has 2 faulty scripts - dalvik2cache and compcache.

Other than that i has less problems than VillainRom 12 (used it for 2 weeks to see how it goes).

Also if you change the kernel it goes even better :P

And about Paul - seems like he's more busy with Desire releases and I doubt he will continue his work on Hero.

Same as you did, I've become an ad-free member to support his work on MCR r5 and Android 2.1/2.2, though i got disappointed.

Edited by ScreamerBG

And about Paul - seems like he's more busy with Desire releases and I doubt he will continue his work on Hero.

Same as you did, I've become an ad-free member to support his work on MCR r5 and Android 2.1/2.2, though i got disappointed.

Likewise & as a result I've switched away from MCR to Vanilla Eclair. However I don't regret donating to MCR. It was always a donation for work existing, not a payment for future development. I probably wouldn't have donated if it wasn't for the anticipation of new releases but that's by the bye. If Hero MCR sees no further development I can't blame Paul. In his position I'd be playing with the latest & best gadgets.

Guest ScreamerBG
Likewise & as a result I've switched away from MCR to Vanilla Eclair. However I don't regret donating to MCR. It was always a donation for work existing, not a payment for future development. I probably wouldn't have donated if it wasn't for the anticipation of new releases but that's by the bye. If Hero MCR sees no further development I can't blame Paul. In his position I'd be playing with the latest & best gadgets.

This is your POV. Mine is different.

For me MCR means:

* standard HTC rom with least modifications

* rooted

* busybox, superuser

* optimized kernel

* compcache (ramzswap), vpn & other kernel modules

* kitchen (optionally)

The effort put for releasing the unofficial Android 2.1 for Hero were much more than modding (with bugs) the official Android 2.1 which is the current R5 :P

The kernel for R5 is either standard or the sloppy Teknologist 2.0b which init scripts doesn't even work (no compcache or full dalvik2cache), neither have overclock/underclock, nor idle code optimizations.

On the other hand single individuals like erasmux@xda-developers can offer "ad-free" or "donation free" kernels that practically work on EVERY HTC rom out there, including Froyo 2.2 and FroydVillain 2.2.

And there you have the VillainRom series which unfortunately for me mod their releases way too much, but at least that shows some progress and effort to make it work.

Once i decide to move on to Froyo i won't have a reason to visit this forum and try to be useful to its community by fixing simple bugs which the developers refuse to.

Disappointed? Hell Yeah.

Edited by ScreamerBG

Guest toxic-hero

well, as you can see this forum (i mean the hero part) is already nearly abandoned, so no need coming back. a day has 24 hours and a week 7 days, to few for a single person to make roms for any device available. i'm grateful to paul for what he did for the hero community and will gladly come back if/when i'm having a shiny new device whatever it's name will be. i'm sure he'll be showing his magic for it just as he did for hero and as he's doing for desire or nexus. until than i'll be on another forum where great stuff is happening daily with our good old heros. no need for disappointment... time to move on... :P

Guest volatile_ink

Well, I've tried other ROMs and MCR 3.2 IMHO is the best. Seeing as support for 3.2 is over and 4 won't get past RC stage. It's good bye from me and it's good bye from him! I'm sticking with 3.2 on my Hero as that's what works best for my cars infotainment system and is rock solid with everything I throw at it.

Hero was my first Android phone and won't be my last. If this experience has taught me anything it's not to get into a contract over 18 months and to buy something other than an HTC android when I do upgrade in Sept. 2011.

Last post on here. Have a good one!

Volatile_Ink.

Guest kotsergy

Seeing lately no bug reports in the thread, I thought It might be my time to speak up. That is if anyone cares.

1. After running the camera app (which sets the screen brightness to max) the brightness level fails to return to the previous level and stays at 100% even after you have finished taking photos. No exact reproduction procedure here, it just happens from time to time.

2. When toggling on mobile data connection (using default htc widget), it may take ages to actually activate data connection. The only solution is to reset APNs to default, otherwise no data connection. Again, it just happens.

3. Not so long ago I experienced the first and hopefully the last, random reboot on my Hero. I don't have the slightest clue what might have triggered it, as there was just music playing in the background.

Guest Clouseau

Hi,

have the r5 running on a hero.

Kernel 2.6.29-063c4d24

Radio: 63.18.5506PU_6.35.15.11

First Mail Account is a Google App account, now I want to set up a second google account, a normal google account, for the market. But I cant set up the account, even an existing or a new one. I got the message that the network connection maybe not stable. It doesn't matter if I use mobile network or wifi.

Does someone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you for your help !!!

Hi,

have the r5 running on a hero.

Kernel 2.6.29-063c4d24

Radio: 63.18.5506PU_6.35.15.11

First Mail Account is a Google App account, now I want to set up a second google account, a normal google account, for the market. But I cant set up the account, even an existing or a new one. I got the message that the network connection maybe not stable. It doesn't matter if I use mobile network or wifi.

Does someone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you for your help !!!

It seems to be a common problem, irrespective with the Rom.

Have a look at these threads:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/andr...2f29f&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmai...e916d&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Goog...ba982&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/andr...d72b9&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/andr...84ecc&hl=en

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/andr...2f29f&hl=en

Apparently you can do one of the following:

1. Try again at different times, in different networks.
  2. Wipe the phone and add the accounts in the initial screens.
  3. Create a youtube account, link it with the gmail account you want to add and logn via the phone's Youtube application.

Option 1 worked for me after toggling flight mode on and off and logging into goolge talk.

Option 3 seems to be quite successful in forums.

Hi guys

, Anybody having issues with hero g2 tmobile with the 3g data not loading and even the market sometimes works like lighting and suddenly it just stops till i disconnect and connect again any replys Thanks

Guest Smitty944

Hi, Probably a really stupid question but do I need to upgrade to 2.1 before I can put R5 on my Hero?

If yes can anyone tell me where I can download it from please.

Thanks

Edited by Smitty944

Guest toxic-hero
Hi, Probably a really stupid question but do I need to upgrade to 2.1 before I can put R5 on my Hero?

If yes can anyone tell me where I can download it from please.

Thanks

no, you don't need. r5 IS 2.1. but you need to root your phone first.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Smallguy17

Hi!

Im still running the r4 since it worked fine but now I think its time to update ;)

I have some sound problems when calling so I was wondering if I just sould download the one with the radio image?

Does that work fine when I live in Denmark?

Guest toxic-hero
Hi!

Im still running the r4 since it worked fine but now I think its time to update ;)

I have some sound problems when calling so I was wondering if I just sould download the one with the radio image?

Does that work fine when I live in Denmark?

i think it should work in any european country.

Guest Operaatoors

Hello, my fellow friends!

I just installed this latest version, which I found in first topic entry, and, there comes my story:

I have the same 3G problems as others have here. Using unlocked UK Orange phone at Latvia, operator Bite (Vodofone).

And I tried to find solution, and then I gave up, and finished reading at 20th page, and didn't find any working solution.

I'm on Android system recovery Build: RA-hero-v.1.6.2.

Wiped everything, then made new partitions (Swap 96MB, Ext2 128MB), then upgraded Ext2 to Ext3.

Then thrown via USB downloaded zip (r5 with additions with radio image - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: c1796fe810bb27582738520907f050ab), and flashed it. It booted like a charm, entered my PIN, done all starter settings, and found this terrible thing, that mobile network is not working.

It keeps saying that "Connection failed due to incorrect APN settings", unless I compared those setting to my brothers Wildfire (he is using the same operator, of course).

So, I'm here to ask for help in the name of my self, and others, who suffering without tweeting while going by bus... :)

But seriously, is there any chance to get it working?

If yes, then please, devote those 10 minutes for us, and make step by step tutorial, how to do it right.

Thanks a lot,

Rob.