30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest toxic-hero
I was seeing this with the stock 2.1 kernel too, and have heard from others that they do also. It's most common when "backing out" of the browser but can seemingly occur at random with just about any app.

leave your feedback about it here. it's happening to many of us.

Guest ninja95

Hi Paul,

This ROM is great and I don't have any issues so far, but I was wondering... do you think you'll ever bake a Froyo ROM with sense for HERO like you did for Desire?

Thanks for the good work :angry:

I flashed the FroydVillain rom last night, everything works fine and fast except the camera and the 3d gallery(super slow).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=729076

maybe Paul should skip this 2.1 rom and go straight to modaco 5

If you like the FroydVillain rom, why should Paul do another 2.2 rom? i'm happy with 2.1 for now and i'm happy to see updates for this one coming (especially since everything works more ore less good)

Guest James_Lin
If you like the FroydVillain rom, why should Paul do another 2.2 rom? i'm happy with 2.1 for now and i'm happy to see updates for this one coming (especially since everything works more ore less good)

I like the FroydVillain because I can see 2.2 can be working nearly perfectly on HERO, and I suggested Paul to do 2.2 rom because I think he can do better than FroydVillain rom.

Also I can see that 2.2 is more responsive than 2.1 with JIT enabled. So why not???

There are ppl happy with 1.5 as well, why should Paul do 2.1??

Edited by James_Lin

Guest toxic-hero
There are ppl happy with 1.5 as well, why should Paul do 2.1??

he doesn't DO 2.1. he just roots and optimizes the stock 2.1 (and does that very good). since there is no stock hero 2.2 i doubt we'll see a 2.2 based modaco. modaco roms are also well known for their stability but not so feature rich as some other roms that are more experimental and unstable.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest James_Lin
he doesn't DO 2.1. he just roots and optimizes the stock 2.1 (and does that very good). since there is no stock hero 2.2 i doubt we'll see a 2.2 based modaco. modaco roms are also well known for their stability but not so feature rich as some other roms that are more experimental and unstable.

Yeah, I said he does 2.1 meant tweaking it...

I am not sure the history/principle of modaco roms, like you said, it seems to me that modaco only tweaks on stock roms? Or could paul grab one of the fully working 2.2 custom kernel and build it from there?

Edited by James_Lin

I added tecknologist / freeasabeer's 2.0a TCK custom kernel as an option to the kitchen! :(

I also updated the kitchen to use the new load balanced infrastructure.

P

Guest okdac

Hi P,

As I saw you were giving some fresh news, I immediatly tried a new bake but here's the message I got :

[snip]

Wooops. Is it dangerous Doc ?

Thx

Okdac

Guest descenpet
hi paul!

will this "load balanced infrastructure" do something about this issue.

from what i understand, load balance infrastructure is for the servers hosting the kitchen. kitchen will be hosted across multiple servers and will automatically choose the server with lowest load so that users can cook roms with faster download speed, lesser wait time etc... it has nothing to do with the issues of any rom hosted.

Guest NutsPT

Paul,

Great work, just having 2 problems:

- Java always FC in loop when I try to open. I really need a Java App :(

- Facebook takes forever to update contacts photos (maybe facebook for htc sense problem.. anyone else?)

Muchas Gracias

Regards

Guest Lucky Thirteen

Howdy

First of all, THANK YOU to all whom made this possible. Still a noob at all this, but did manage to install easily the MoDaCo 2.1 Custom Rom for my Telus HTC Hero.

Again Thank you!

Now, is there a way that I could uninstall WaveSecure from my phone ? I don't want to use this feature and don't want to re-install everything again on my phone to get rid of this, it keep asking me to register for a service that I don't want, so can I remove it FOR GOOD?

How?

TIA

Guest venturerider

I've been running the original version of this ROM which is ODEX'd. I'm wondering if this r5 version, which is not ODEX'd, will run faster or slower.

Guest uk786

@Lucky Thirteen

Download an application called titanium backup, and then through the app you can un-install any apps from your device which you don't want, e.g. footprints.

Hope this helps.

Guest Lucky Thirteen

Thanks UK!

I just manage to uninstall it via SDK

Very easy..

- Connect the phone to the PC

- Clear WaveScure's cache on the phone (via Managed apps)

- Open a command prompt on your PC

- Go to cd \path_to_SDK\tools (Enter)

- Then run these 2 commands

adb remount (Enter)

adb shell rm /system/app/*wsandroid* (Enter) be carefull to each space!

This should remove WaveSecure from your phone. Well, it did on mine!

I will try Titanium thanks for the tip!

Edited by Lucky Thirteen

Guest digifoto

Thanks for the great work!

But I have a problem...

In the People/Contact application when I try to use Edit, there is no Social Network group (no Facebook, no Flickr).

Even if I try to use the Update/Events part, I can see the button for the Facebook profile linking, but

it comes up with no names either.

I have set up the Facebook account sync, of course.

Can you tell me what I have made wrong?

(I have tried different versions from the kitchen as well as the normal versions as well.

By the way I can install any new image only after full wipe, without wipe almost nothing works).

Best regards

Guest BekiPe

Hi Paul!

I have built an r5 ROM in the kitchen without checking the JBED apps checkbox, as I don't need it at all. Still it is included and I can only get rid of it by removing Java app with Titanium backup. (Not too experienced on where I can get a 2.1 compatible adb for my Ubuntu 10.4 64bit.)

I also noticed the Sense restarts quite often, and looks like it is mainly triggered by how many, and how large apps I am using pointing to memory management issues.

Anyways, I was waiting for the 2.1 update from HTC for months and I am really glad I can stay with an MCR version. Keep it up!

Peter

Guest BekiPe
Thanks for the great work!

But I have a problem...

In the People/Contact application when I try to use Edit, there is no Social Network group (no Facebook, no Flickr).

Even if I try to use the Update/Events part, I can see the button for the Facebook profile linking, but

it comes up with no names either.

I have set up the Facebook account sync, of course.

Can you tell me what I have made wrong?

(I have tried different versions from the kitchen as well as the normal versions as well.

By the way I can install any new image only after full wipe, without wipe almost nothing works).

Best regards

+1,

Except for Flickr, which syncs fine. I had no luck with the Facebook sync since my upgrade from MCR 3.2 after wipe. When I go to Photos and check the Facebook icon, I see all my Facebook contacts with their pictures and photo albums, but in People/View my Facebook group shows 0 contacts and when I try to link any of my Google contacts to a Facebook profile I don't get any contacts on the appearing list.

Removed and re-added my Facebook account several times. It connects well, shows my full name. Even the "My contact card" shows my Facebook profile picture and my latest Facebook status message, but noone else from my Facebook contacts, even the ones that were already linked with 1.5 version of Android don't seem to be linked now.

I also noticed, that if I go to Settings/Accounts & sync and change the update frequency for either Facebook or Flickr, it changes the very same setting for the other. Is this normal behavior?