Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest l1nuxfre4k
That's it for now... enjoy... i'll update this post as further advances are made. If you'd like to support Koush's work, consider buying 'ROM Manager Premium' from the Android Market.

P

So rom manager works fine on Desire?

Guest Koush
e:cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2(no such device)

could not mount sd-ext

skipping backup of sd-ext.

error while generating md5 sum!

with new update

Here's another potential fix for the md5:

http://www.droidaftermarket.com/koush//test/update-test3.zip

REMEMBER TO RENAME IT TO update.zip BEFORE PUSHING TO YOUR /sdcard

Edited by Koush

Guest HTC Desire Owner

could not mount sd-ext

error while generating md5 sum!

with new update

Device node isn't there, just need to create it in /sbin/mkfstab.sh:

if [ ! -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 ]; then

mknod -m 600 b /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 179 2

fi

By the way, do we need sbin/[ and sbin/[[ in the zip?

Edited by HTC Desire Owner

Guest dread123

fi

lost me there pal..any chnce of very plain english please hahaha

using xp -so not very good with command prompts

Guest Koush

fi

The device node missing is benign. The issue was that nandroid-md5.sh was not executable. That should be fixed in the newest zip I linked above your post. And no, those two don't need to be in the zip. I will remove them.

Guest Koush

could not mount sd-ext

...but it did say generating md5 sum...backup complete :)

Yep! That looks right. It tries to mount your apps2sd, and if it can't, it just skips it, rather than failing. The stock recovery kernel (which is not replaceable) doesn't have ext support... so there's not gonna be any a2sd backup available. However, froyo will not use ext for the apps2sd! So it will work on that...

Guest Koush
Any chance of adding "USB Mount" to that recovery? I loved that feature.

It should be already there. Check under partitions menu. There's a lot of stuff hidden under the options.

Guest l1nuxfre4k
It should be already there. Check under partitions menu. There's a lot of stuff hidden under the options.

hey Koush^^

Are you adding Desire to your Rom manager? if its possible somehow so it flashes it at a reboot and boots in to recovery

cant do anything with it at the moment hehe

Edited by l1nuxfre4k

Guest Koush
hey Koush^^

Are you adding Desire to your Rom manager? if its possible somehow so it flashes it at a reboot and boots in to recovery

cant do anything with it at the moment hehe

Yes, I will be. The update.zip works, so I can have it boot into stock recovery, apply the update.zip, which gets into CW recovery, which then does it's magic :)

Guest Koush
Nandroid working thanks ..will ext ever be supported? Nice work :)

no, the stock recovery kernel doesn't have ext. Read up on my previous comment about ext support and apps2sd.

Guest HTC Desire Owner
Yep! That looks right. It tries to mount your apps2sd, and if it can't, it just skips it, rather than failing. The stock recovery kernel (which is not replaceable) doesn't have ext support... so there's not gonna be any a2sd backup available. However, froyo will not use ext for the apps2sd! So it will work on that...

Hmm, looks like my Desire is special:

cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext

ext3

ext2

/ # cat /etc/fstab | grep sd-ex

cat /etc/fstab | grep sd-ex

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext ext3 rw

/ # mount -r /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

mount -r /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

/ # mount | grep sd-ext

mount | grep sd-ext

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext3 (ro,errors=continue,data=ordered)

/ # ls /sd-ext

ls /sd-ext

app		   app-private   dalvik-cache  lost+found

/ # uname -a

uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.29-97da29ed #1 PREEMPT Mon Mar 15 20:17:52 CST 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux

Rooted with r4 package (0.75 hboot).

So in my case it didn't mount originally due to ext4 entry created by mkfstab.sh and missing /sd-ext.

Edited by HTC Desire Owner

Guest l1nuxfre4k
Yes, I will be. The update.zip works, so I can have it boot into stock recovery, apply the update.zip, which gets into CW recovery, which then does it's magic :)

cool :)

will be waiting hehe.

Guest spammyspam

I think this is all running away a bit too fast. I've been following these forums since before Paul's root method came out and have no idea what's going on here or why this is useful.

Hate to be a pain, but it would help me (and I presume others) if the first posts of these stickies actually explained what was going on and why these things are useful. For instance, what does it mean to have a test image installed? If I'm running an MCR, does that count? Are you supposed to keep the update.zip on your SD card permanently? If so how do you flash new roms? Alternatively some kind of tutorial or glossary would rock. I appreciate the time that goes into these things, but this is all getting a bit frustrating.

Sorry for being thick.

Edited by spammyspam

Guest StuMcBill
I think this is all running away a bit too fast. I've been following these forums since before Paul's root method came out and have no idea what's going on here or why this is useful.

Hate to be a pain, but it would help me (and I presume others) if the first posts of these stickies actually explained what was going on and why these things are useful. For instance, what does it mean to have a test image installed? If I'm running an MCR, does that count? Are you supposed to keep the update.zip on your SD card permanently? If so how do you flash new roms? Alternatively some kind of tutorial or glossary would rock. I appreciate the time that goes into these things, but this is all getting a bit frustrating.

Sorry for being thick.

This is a way of running recovery from your phone without having to have usb connected.

Yes you do have to keep the update.zip on your SD card, but when you flash other updates they can be named anything.