Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest p-slim
You can scroll with the trackpad too but the response it not so good. (yet?) :)

the evo has no trackpad, how are you guys selecting the options? the power button as select is turning off the screen. nevermind i just figured this was for the desire. Someone posted this thread in the Evo section.

Edited by p-slim

Guest timothydonohue

thanks a heap, paul and koush!

looks like toastcfh is going to try and modify your method to work proper for the evo, so

we can select options :)

WOOT!

Guest Koush
Hi,

Everything worked as they should , copied the latest update, did a nandroid backup, md5 ok; But when I tried to apply a custom rom zip, what CW recovery showed me from my sd card was every folder but no zip (I have 7 zips in there update included)

Anybody have an idea , I'm running Froyo on my Desire and sd card is only FAT, don't use A2SD

Thanks

Try moving the zips into a folder maybe? I've heard about issues where the files cant be seen. Also try renaming the files?

Guest Koush
thanks a heap, paul and koush!

looks like toastcfh is going to try and modify your method to work proper for the evo, so

we can select options :)

WOOT!

Already done! :)

Guest smarty213

@Koush: could you (or somebody else) provide some information on how one would get his fingers on this ClockworkMod of yours?

This is my first post - I got a Desire some time ago and was following as a total noob all the crazy things happening here and xda. Managed to flash my Desire brickfree from MCR R1 to 3.1. Kind of tricky to keep up with all the slang, but I managed that as well. UNTIL NOW. Now people have started to talk about this clockwork-recovery, while everybody was just using either Paul´s, or the Amon-recovery. Could you please provide at least a link or something where one could read some more about this Clockwork-Mod / HTC Desire?

Thanks!

Guest DerZombie

Great work!!!!

I flashed one Mod and it was sooooo easy :)

Thank you very much!!!

Edited by DerZombie

Guest Koush
@Koush: could you (or somebody else) provide some information on how one would get his fingers on this ClockworkMod of yours?

This is my first post - I got a Desire some time ago and was following as a total noob all the crazy things happening here and xda. Managed to flash my Desire brickfree from MCR R1 to 3.1. Kind of tricky to keep up with all the slang, but I managed that as well. UNTIL NOW. Now people have started to talk about this clockwork-recovery, while everybody was just using either Paul´s, or the Amon-recovery. Could you please provide at least a link or something where one could read some more about this Clockwork-Mod / HTC Desire?

Thanks!

Yup, just get ROM Manager for free off the Market and try it out. It all works automagically. It won't change anything on your phone.

Guest Loccy
Hi,

Everything worked as they should , copied the latest update, did a nandroid backup, md5 ok; But when I tried to apply a custom rom zip, what CW recovery showed me from my sd card was every folder but no zip (I have 7 zips in there update included)

Anybody have an idea , I'm running Froyo on my Desire and sd card is only FAT, don't use A2SD

Thanks

Scroll down. It's not showing you EVERY folder on your SD card - just the first dozen or so! Your zips will be below the folders one or two screens down. I had the same "problem" :)

Guest StuMcBill
Okay, but what is it? And does it still exist after you flash with an MCR or rooted ROM?

Perhaps this isn't the right thread for this?

I don't know exactly what it is, but yes, if you rooted using pauls method and have an MCR running, then yes you still have it on your phone.

Guest encrypt
Maybe try formatting the FAT partition?

I did and now it works... somehow the recovery corrupted the FAT partition of my SD card... very strange. gparted showed problems to unmount the partition.

Nevermind, the fake flash now works and I'm happy! :) Thanks for your work

Guest jcdz92
Scroll down. It's not showing you EVERY folder on your SD card - just the first dozen or so! Your zips will be below the folders one or two screens down. I had the same "problem" :)

Working good , scrolling down I see me zips now : thanks

Thanks Kouch and Paul wor great works

Guest ph0rce

I just installed the ROM Manager from the market place, after a couple of Force Closes the program managed to flash the ClockworkMod Recovery ok. I don't seem to be able to backup my current ROM though, is that feature currently not working or do I have to have installed my current ROM via the ROM Manager in order to back it up?

Guest gaeng4665
Regarding the A2SD partition. Even if ext3 support is present in the kernel (my Desire has it), the backup still fails because recovery tries to mount A2SD partition as EXT4. I made a quick hack to enable A2SD backup and it seems to be working on my Desire.

can confirm it backups sd-ext as well :)

quick question, do i have to apply the zip u provided every time i make a nandroid backup or is it sufficient to apply it once and it works ever after?????

Edit: Have to apply the zip every time.

lol answered my own question..

anyway thx

maybe it could be implemented to the recovery, or does it solve the problem if i upgrade to ext4?

Edited by gaeng4665

Guest ph0rce
I just installed the ROM Manager from the market place, after a couple of Force Closes the program managed to flash the ClockworkMod Recovery ok. I don't seem to be able to backup my current ROM though, is that feature currently not working or do I have to have installed my current ROM via the ROM Manager in order to back it up?

And while I'm at it, rebooting into Recovery Mode ( from the ROM Manager ) doesn't seem to do anything either?

Guest snear

Could you include HTC owners hack into rm? Nice one all!

Ps what kernel are you using HTC owner?

Edited by snear

Guest gaeng4665
And while I'm at it, rebooting into Recovery Mode ( from the ROM Manager ) doesn't seem to do anything either?

just turn off your phone, and press back+power select "recovery" and the magic will happen.....

Guest ph0rce

So the button isn't actually supposed to reboot the phone into recovery mode then, like it implies?

I know how to do it manually, I assumed this was a button which would automate the process or at least do something. It seems an odd design choice to have a button for nothing!

EDIT

All working great now, there's a guide on XDA for replacing the standard reboot executable with, I guess, a ROM Manager friendly one.

Edited by ph0rce

Guest xTc is loVe

Is there a changelog? Seems that exit wipe is NOT working after update... -.-

or do i need ext4?

Edit: Launching NOT possible with ROM Manager from market ;-) "old" Method works...

Edited by xTc is loVe

Guest dread123

mine is exactly same.