Force voice via 2G? 3G call drop problem

Guest Ruud S

Hi all,

With my current provider (Vodafone NL) I'm experiencing a lot of dropped calls while at home, even if signal strength is 2-4 bars. Calls are only dropped in 3G (WCDMA) mode, not in 2G (GSM) mode. So my question is, is it possible to change some settings on the Omnia (for example via the *#...*# menus) such that either:

1. The device always switches to 2G (GSM) mode for voice calls (but remains on 3G whenever no call is in progress).
  2. The device switches to 2G earlier if the signal gets worse, preventing 3G drop-outs.
This problem is not specific to the Omnia II, it is reproducable on my HTC Kaiser as well. On other networks (e.g. T-Mobile NL) I do not experience these drops, but they seem to automatically switch to 2G earlier due to reduced signal strength. Even though this is a network problem, Vodafone is not very eager to help, so if possible I want to fix this on my device.

Manually switching to 2G (or leaving the device on 2G all the time) is not an option; I can't quickly switch when a voice calls comes in, and I use 3G internet much more often than voice calls. I've tried WMLongLife to leave the device on 2G unless data is needed; this works alright but it takes too long to set up a 3G data connection if I quickly want to look something up on the internet.

Anyone any ideas?

Kind regards,

Ruud

Edited by Ruud S

Guest Thac Vinh

I've the same problems here when i surfing 3G espcially in HSDPA/HSUPA mode selected, i can't make call or receiving call. The only option the avoid this is uncheck HSDPA/HSUPA mode in OMNIA SETTING. Of course, you mobile broadband run at lower speed.

Guest asfaijk

i have the same problem! only with me my gsm connection drops everytime (even when no calls ) when it reaches the 3g status icon. then it gets the G icon and reception again, until it hits 3G and it repeats the process. I also live in the netherlands. Could It be whe need a special Eboot, csc file, phone file or pda file?? i to got band selection set to grps...but internet is crap with this setting!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sahalan

I've been looking for a solution to forcing 2g to conserve battery. Aftre much searching and trying for example different comm manager programs and wmlonglife, bandswitch, all which don't work i found this:

in keypad type in *#1546792*# this brings up admin mode and from there you will see network and you can manually change to "gsm" which makes it run in 2g!