Flash now your Samsung Galaxy S

Guest DDmen

Guest joejjeman
Can't load rom,keep on getting ( can't open serial (com) port ) USB drivers are installed.

I got the same problem.. and i cant start it any more either.. =(

Guest jUsT2eXy
Still no luck, I will try windows 32bit asap, otherwise its back to samsung

hey .. what happened in the end..

i have the same problem as you... its all messed up :lol: :D

did it work for you..if so how... please help me thanks

Guest jUsT2eXy
Dammit Oh I wish I never read this advise...bad advise i think! I ticked re-partition. And now I've been sitting looking at:

<ID:0/007> Added!!

<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..

<ID:0/007> File analysis..

<ID:0/007> Set PIT file..

<ID:0/007> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

odin3failed.jpg

For the last 30 minutes almost !!!!!!!! does it take this long, I don't think so... Did I just brick it? The phone is still on and in Downloading mode. I will just leave it. But can I recover from this and how?

This is the exact problem I am having right now...

It has been doing this for a while... ( I ticked repartition box as I tried without but still nothing.. so I thought I'd give this a go)...

What do I do now?

I had I9000XXJF3 on my UK Sim Free Galaxy S... before flashing JF5 (so I could use Modaco ROM) .... but now I keep getting force closes which prevent me from using the phoen at all so I wanted to reflash my original rom but I9000XXJF3 isn't on samsung firmwares so I am trying to reflash JF5.. but its not working

Helppp

Edit: I restarted my pc and odin has started working again... I hope my phone is ok after this.. I will tr modaco again without clearing data... phew...

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest Denny.Wong

I have managed to flash the firmware to JFB on both PDA and PHONE and installed the MRC, my firmware now show:

PDA: (empty)

PHONE: I9000XXJF5

CSC: (empty)

is that normal?

Guest us1111

I don't get it... Running windows7 32-bit, just installed KIES..

1. Downloaded the 3 files from Samsung Firmware:

CODE_I9000XWJFB.tar

CSC_I9000SERJF3.tar

MODEM_I9000XXJF5.tar

2. Startup Odin and connected the phone:

0:[COM6] appears in Odin

3. Selected the PID files and the other files

4. Start

Now Odin is haning in the "File analisys" item?? Tried 2 times, including a reboot, but no further than this??

What's going on?

Guest Denny.Wong
Now Odin is haning in the "File analisys" item?? Tried 2 times, including a reboot, but no further than this??

What's going on?

I have exact same problem before, reboot machine fixed mine.

Guest us1111
I have exact same problem before, reboot machine fixed mine.

Yup... Rebooted the phone and PC and now (for some mysterious reason) the thing works!

Guest lolecborec

<ID:0/003> Added!!

<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..

<ID:0/003> File analysis..

<ID:0/003> Can't open the serial(COM) port.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any ideas?

Guest AndyCr15

How long should it take?

I seem to be stuck at about 25% -

<ID:0/003> factoryfs.rfs

The green bar is still 'flashing' so to speak on Odin3, but nothing's moved for 5 or 6 minutes. Am I being paranoid? Is it just transferring the rather large tar file?

What happens if I pull the cable at this point?

Guest Fuglestad
<ID:0/003> Added!!

<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..

<ID:0/003> File analysis..

<ID:0/003> Can't open the serial(COM) port.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any ideas?

Restart your machine and your phone. Did the trick for me...

Guest Andrew Luecke
Restart your machine and your phone. Did the trick for me...

If it messes up half way, and the COM is no longer detected after restarting ODIN, you can also just plug the cable into another USB port

Guest Gary Crutcher

Anyone know why I get a recovery screen on reboot after flashing? Then a reboot, the logo and a blank screen.

I am trying to flash JG5.

I flashed JG1 successfully.

Edit: Have to use the 512 PIT file with JG5

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest shammi

Hi Everyone. I am very new to all this. I had been using Nokia all along since last 10yrs. And i still feel there is nothing better than Nokia E90. Found SGS as an exception. I was planning to go for Iphone 4 but when i compared everything with cost this was any time much better.

Well what i wanted to ask you all is that my new SGS has I9000DDJF3 version and i am currently in india. What is the latest version that i can flash and is it advisable cause i will have to do it on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Andrew Luecke

I've tried a few firmwares, and to be completely honest, there isn't much difference between them at the moment (unless you have a branded one like the Singtel ones which come with stacks of preloaded crap that only works in Singapore). Using later versions might help if you are having swype problems, but overall, the benefits are still very limited between the stable ROM's I feel. For performance freaks, there are some JIT roms available, however, there has been reports that funny stuff happens with them. For now, I'd recommend that you simply pick something which works, because Froyo is due soon, which will lead to an epic improvement in performance and usability. Probably the best stable option is the Modaco ROM R2 + the JG1 rom. It seems to be comparable to the other firmwares, is pre-rooted and has a few patches (such as lagfix) included to help make things work better.

With R2, if creating it from the kitchen, I recommend:

1) ALL Core apps EXCEPT Maps,Voice Search (because they are available in market anyway)

2) Swype from 3rd party apps. Select any of those except Aldiko (because its available on market)

3)Modaco Additions: Any of these (ASE definitely, but the other two are up to you. Only add WaveSecure if you plan to buy a subscription, because I recall it gets in the way).

The reason why you shouldn't bother with stuff on market, is that it just makes more sense to install them directly from market, and if you build them in kitchen, you can't remove them later easily. Some stuff you may want to install from market later:

Layar,

Maps,

Barcode scanner (Get used to using QR codes bro)

Aldiko ebook maybe..

appbrain

When flashing, flash CSC/MODEM AND PDA. Many people seem to sometimes only flash PDA/CODE, which can cause problems. That being said, I haven't heard of a single report of a permanently bricked Galaxy S due to broken firmware uploads. Samsung has designed their mobiles VERY well (clearly though if you go and overclock things though, this may cause issues, although, components such as the CPU may be able to protect themselves against overheating too). If you use JG5, you need the older pit file (refer to XDA-developers), and I recommend always repartitioning.

Finally, be aware that some people here seem to excessively get into benchmarking, hacking and nitpicking at stuff. You need to ask yourself if you want to fiddle with your phone or just have it work. Remember, Samsung is probably pouring its development resources into Froyo currently, so I'd be guessing that bug fixing Eclair is not a priority for Samsung, and this is actually a VERY good thing. Once Froyo is released, my prediction is that bug fix development will pick up steam at Samsung.

Things you shouldn't expect the current versions of later ROM's to fix vs JG1:

1) The GPS

2) Screen orientation dodginess

3) The speed. It's unlikely new official eclair roms will give significant speed improvements. JIT roms will, Froyo will, but JG1->JG5 I doubt very much will do much there..

Things they MIGHT fix:

1) If you are using foreign languages, support may be slightly improved

2) Swype problems

3) Potentially some responsiveness issues.. But this is questionable.

That's just my thoughts though. Just be aware that with software development, jumping to conclusions is very common with intermittent problems, so really, all you can do is make up your OWN mind. Try them all out, and get an idea of what works for you. But for now, I'm planning to return to JG1/Modaco, upgrade to later Modaco releases and Froyo next.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ragflan

Please help, I am flashing the firmware JG5 on my Galaxy S using ODIN and it's stuck at factoryfs.rfs.. What should I do now? Please help

<ID:0/005> Added!!

<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..

<ID:0/005> File analysis..

<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..

<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..

<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..

<ID:0/005> factoryfs.rfs

Nothing happens past this point...

Guest ragflan

Please help, I am flashing the firmware JG5 on my Galaxy S using ODIN and it's stuck at factoryfs.rfs.. What should I do now? Please help

Guest DistortedLoop
I've tried a few firmwares, and to be completely honest, ...

Andrew, that's probably the best thought out post I've read about ROMs in quite a long time. Well done.

Guest DistortedLoop

Did you resolve this?

Remember you phone must be simlock FREE!

Is that true? Sound wierd for me. I flash my i8000 many times and it have simlock. So, can I flash i9000 with orange simlock to get rid off branding?

Guest amir_rafie
is it safe to upload European firmware to a phone bought in Asia?

it`s my question too ...

the current version is XXJF3 and I want to install the african rom , is there any problem ?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...