Back up SMS?

Guest kerbitroy

Guest kerbitroy

I own a HTC Desire, and HTC issued a Firmware update last weekend. The update installed fine, but it caused problems with the Android Market, in that when I went to download something, the status bar would just continually say "Download Starting". I contacted HTC about my problem and they informed me that I would have to perform a factory reset of my phone. However, in doing this, I will lose any SMS messages saved and applications that are installed. The applications can be reinstalled, but my SMS messages will be lost. I have seen that there are apps that can backup SMS messages, but as I cannot install any apps due to my Market problems, is there any other way of backing my messages up?

Cheers in advance,

~Kerb

Guest rhedgehog

or instead of hard resetting, try a few things first.

have you by chance recently changed your google account from @googlemail.com to @gmail.com? if so, change it back. this will solve the market issue and allow you to backup your SMS. then you can change it to Gmail again if you really want to and then hard reset.

if you haven't done that, then try going to settings > applications > manage applications

find and clear cache/clear data and force stop Market, download manager and google talk

that often helps with the 'starting download' thing.

Guest kerbitroy
or instead of hard resetting, try a few things first.

have you by chance recently changed your google account from @googlemail.com to @gmail.com? if so, change it back. this will solve the market issue and allow you to backup your SMS. then you can change it to Gmail again if you really want to and then hard reset.

if you haven't done that, then try going to settings > applications > manage applications

find and clear cache/clear data and force stop Market, download manager and google talk

that often helps with the 'starting download' thing.

Man I wish I had seen this before hard resetting. Yea I had recently changed from @googlemail.com to @gmail.com

Thanks anyways!

• 2 years later...