Samsung Galaxy S Problems

Guest AntonyW999

Guest AntonyW999

Is anyone else having trouble connecting their Galaxy to a PC? I don't know whether mine is faulty or not. Downloaded the Samsung Kies software but when I plug in the Galaxy Windows is unable to find a MTP USB device driver and the phone refuses to connect. This happens on both XP and Windows 7. Also the Galaxy has a complete fit and keeps flashing between the home screen and MTP application screen while it's connected. And I don't get the usual Android option to mount for file transfer. Am I missing something?

Guest hawrai68
Is anyone else having trouble connecting their Galaxy to a PC? I don't know whether mine is faulty or not. Downloaded the Samsung Kies software but when I plug in the Galaxy Windows is unable to find a MTP USB device driver and the phone refuses to connect. This happens on both XP and Windows 7. Also the Galaxy has a complete fit and keeps flashing between the home screen and MTP application screen while it's connected. And I don't get the usual Android option to mount for file transfer. Am I missing something?

Not sure if it helps but I mentioned in another post of major initial problems connecting either Windows or Mac ...

For Windows, turn off phone, plug usb in to PC, then turn on while plugged in.

For Mac, goto Settings, About phone, USB Settings, Turn ON USB Debugging.

Guest mickangel
For Mac, goto Settings, About phone, USB Settings, Turn ON USB Debugging.

Unfortunately USB Debugging doesn't play well with Doubletwist. Let's hope a more permanent fix comes up.

Edited by mickangel

Guest Airwave11

I have the same problem, could you confirm that you are using Windows 7 64 bits? MTP USB driver issues seems to be current with 64 bits OS...

Guest TMW597

I'm not having a problem connecting technically, but but once connected I get the prompt that says, "This device does not support this service." As you can see it recognizes the device though. That's a start.

post-723040-1277486118_thumb.jpg

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

This is with Kies_1.5.1.10062_42_2

Firmware version 2.1-update1

Baseband version I90000XXJF3

I would really like to get my Outlook sync working.

Edited by TMW597

Guest bushrat

I solved this problem (Win7x64, JF3) Try unmount and remount internal SD then try to connect to KIES. If not then unmount and format internal SD.

I have really no idea how this helps but it solved my issues (My first android phone haha)

Hope this helps :S

Also there is a '64x samsung USB driver' floating around. I'm using that atm but I'm not sure if it really helped as it gave me the same problem untill I formatted the internal SD. I would try first without changing driver. Goodluck.

http://www.2shared.com/file/y_XR2tT9/usb_d...alaxyS_x64.html

Guest Tyxerakias

I've had no issues whatsoever to connect, after installing Kies and the x64 drivers a few posts up, (Kies also updated itself), I connected the phone in mass storage mode, it loaded some drivers and I could access it from Windows. Disconnected, enabled USB debugging mode, reconnected, it installed more drivers. adb works fine. Unmounted and disconnected again, and turned off USB debugging mode. Reconnected and this time chose Kies. Again installed more drivers (MTP drivers), I started Kies, it found the phone, connects with no problems and all functions work fine.

adb, mass storage, debug, kies, you name it, it all works great.

Windows 7 x64, XXJF3 firmware. (just got it today, so happy)

Guest yuszairi
I've had no issues whatsoever to connect, after installing Kies and the x64 drivers a few posts up, (Kies also updated itself), I connected the phone in mass storage mode, it loaded some drivers and I could access it from Windows. Disconnected, enabled USB debugging mode, reconnected, it installed more drivers. adb works fine. Unmounted and disconnected again, and turned off USB debugging mode. Reconnected and this time chose Kies. Again installed more drivers (MTP drivers), I started Kies, it found the phone, connects with no problems and all functions work fine.

At first im also like everything doing fine with kies..but after 3days I start having problem like others.

Btw, what's gonna happen if unmount n format internal sd card?

Edited by yuszairi

Guest bushrat
At first im also like everything doing fine with kies..but after 3days I start having problem like others.

Btw, what's gonna happen if unmount n format internal sd card?

Lose stuff like music, pics vids(if saved to internal).. also some app stuff, eg downloded extra skins for clock widgets, downloaded maps, podcasts etc.

Guest KneoK

Having the exact same problem, though I can connect it as a mass storage device and mount the drive. When I choose Kies as the connection method the MTP application pops up and then closes over and over again. It worked a couple of hours ago, then installed a few apps and copied some stuff to the SD card and troubles began.

So far I've tried to unmount and mount the internal SD card, reboot the device and my pc (Windows 7 x64) without USB cable attached, rebooted device with USB cable plugged in with USB setting set manually to Kies and tried the option to let me select the connection method and choosing Kies. Seems like the only solution is to format my SD card as bushrat tried ?

Edit: it was indeed the solution. I've copied some important files from the SD card to my pc (media files, gestures for Dolphin HD, themes for Beautiful Widget, my ebooks etc.) and then formatted the SD card. Then I rebooted the phone, connected it with the Kies option and the MTP application didn't flash anymore, the device driver installed just fine. Unplugged the Cable, started Kies, replugged and I was synced to Kies in a couple of seconds. Then copied back all the files I backed up and everything is fine again. Didn't even have to reboot to enable the themes for Beautiful Widget or access to my ebooks. Just locked an unlocked and it's working like a charm once again.

I just hope this won't happen again.

Edited by KneoK

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kindred Interactive

Yes i can confirm that formatting the internal SD card also worked for me. I was already on the latest firmware and kites app from samsung. Just backed up via USB mount to HD and then formated, restated and connection was ok again.

Hope this dose not happen again grrrrrr.

Thanks for the advice above

Edited by Kindred Interactive

Guest just_myself
Yes i can confirm that formatting the internal SD card also worked for me. I was already on the latest firmware and kites app from samsung. Just backed up via USB mount to HD and then formated, restated and connection was ok again.

Hope this dose not happen again grrrrrr.

Thanks for the advice above

After days of debugging the issue, I finally nailed it. The MTP application flashes when you have too many mp3 files (most probably other media files also but I am not sure). In my case, I have installed a language learning software that downloads thousands of mp3 files on the internal SD card (for words and phrases in different languages). I have deleted all the languages I did not want and I was left with about 800 mp3 files. It was still not working so my next step was to change the extension of those files so they are not recognized as mp3 files. A phone reset later everything was working fine. Just to confirm it, renamed the files back to mp3 extension - not working again, renaming back to different extension and restart - working.

I hope this helps everyone. I will also submit the details to Samsung support and hopefully they will forward it to technical department and do something about it.

Guest gortsleigh

Thank you, thank you Tyxerakias!!

I had been unable to install the ADB drivers on Windows XP SP3. I have no interest in Kies at all, but following the above steps for Kies magically enabled ADB support as well. The ADB USB driver must have some dependency that is resolved by the setup of Kies.

Thanks again,

-gortsleigh, an even happier new Samsung Captivate owner

Guest Master_Axe

Is this problem no longer relevant? Interestingly enough, after having it work (following the steps above, posted in multiple forums by now!), it quit on me again. Until i formatted and ran debug mode again. Aggravating...

Guest upp3rd0g

I finally managed to figure out what is going on... the Windows MTP driver cannot handle the extra sd-card-partitions. Several people report they have to unmount/remove their external sdcard, but I have to unmount my internal sdcard to get it to work (I don't have an external sdcard.). What may be of influence is that I have the "special" version of Galaxy S which has 16GB internal memory, instead of 8GB. After unmounting the internal sdcard Samsung Kies could suddenly connect properly to the phone.

So in my opinion the trick to get it working is: unmount your sdcards, either internal and external.

Guest Jared S

Hey all, I was having the same problem with my brand new Galaxy S today. I fixed it by plugging it into a USB port on the back of my computer instead of using one of the front. Give that a try!

I believe it may have something to do with the phone trying to draw too much current through the case's USB ports. The ports that are right on the back of the motherboard should be able to provide more current.

Edited by Jared S

Guest Arnie753

Arggg... i am having this problem too... and nothing works. I've tried resetting drivers, reinstall them, unmount/mount internal sd, startup with usb plugged in...

But still, still im getting a switching screen between connection screen and home screen, so frustrating... This phone is amazing but when it comes to pc connectivity it really loses from all other manufacturers *sigh* :(

Can someone pleasehelp?

EDIT: I have made a video from it @ youtube ==>

Edited by Arnie753

Guest Jared S
Arggg... i am having this problem too... and nothing works. I've tried resetting drivers, reinstall them, unmount/mount internal sd, startup with usb plugged in...

But still, still im getting a switching screen between connection screen and home screen, so frustrating... This phone is amazing but when it comes to pc connectivity it really loses from all other manufacturers *sigh* :(

Can someone pleasehelp?

Did you try my suggestion? Have you tried it in a USB port on the back of your computer?

Guest ragflan

<ID:0/005> Added!!

<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..

<ID:0/005> File analysis..

<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..

<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..

<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..

<ID:0/005> factoryfs.rfs

<ID:0/005> cache.rfs

<ID:0/005> dbdata.rfs

<ID:0/005> boot.bin

<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin

<ID:0/005> param.lfs

<ID:0/005> zImage

<ID:0/005> modem.bin

<ID:0/005> cache.rfs

<ID:0/005> Removed!!

<ID:0/005> Completed..

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

I get that in ODIN but SGS is just showing boot logo. Nothing's happening...

Edited by ragflan

Guest Michael Ames

Greetings. I had this problem and went through all the forums and advice about formatting cards, resetting to factory defaults, etc. In my case, I discovered that the this was unnecessary -- the only problem was an invalid filename created by Foursquare. In the /foursquare/cache folder there was a filename that clearly should have had a .jpg extension, but did not, resulting in a filetype of something like ".%FFIEJ2_VS%20"

Deleting that file fixed the problem. My hypothesis is that the MTP application scans the SD cards for files, looking at file types, and when it comes across that nasty filetype, it crashes... restarts... crashes... forever.

My suggestion is to look into your SD card files (start with Foursquare!) and see if you have any unusual file extensions. Removing those may resolve your problem.

-Michael

Guest DistortedLoop
Greetings. I had this problem and went through all the forums and advice about formatting cards, resetting to factory defaults, etc. In my case, I discovered that the this was unnecessary -- the only problem was an invalid filename created by Foursquare. In the /foursquare/cache folder there was a filename that clearly should have had a .jpg extension, but did not, resulting in a filetype of something like ".%FFIEJ2_VS%20"

Deleting that file fixed the problem. My hypothesis is that the MTP application scans the SD cards for files, looking at file types, and when it comes across that nasty filetype, it crashes... restarts... crashes... forever.

My suggestion is to look into your SD card files (start with Foursquare!) and see if you have any unusual file extensions. Removing those may resolve your problem.

-Michael

Good tip! And another reason not to bother with FourSquare! LOL

Guest David.m
Is this problem no longer relevant? Interestingly enough, after having it work (following the steps above, posted in multiple forums by now!), it quit on me again. Until i formatted and ran debug mode again. Aggravating...

hi i have sorted this problem load kies plug in galaxy when the windows mtp driver box comes up go to install from file or drive then browse to the folder you installed kies go to usb and in that folder you will see symbian usb download drivers click on that and press ok the mtp drivers will install and the galaxy s will connect to kies. SORTED.