Can Paul confirm when MCR4 will be released?

Guest valerebel

Guest valerebel

@Paul

Can you confirm when MCR4 will be released for us eager Hero owners? I'd rather wait for the version based on the 2.1 Euro release, so I am guessing that is what you are waiting for too.

Regards

valerebel

Guest toxic-hero
I'd rather wait for the version based on the 2.1 Euro release, so I am guessing that is what you are waiting for too.

why are you waiting so eagerly for the final version when r4 build 3 rocks already? it's very stable and really quick, even a bit quicker than mcr3.2. i also doubt we'll see much difference in euro version of 2.1, apart from some added european languages...

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest lupinehorror

yeah the r4 build 3 is excellent. speedy, stable...no reason not to go with it (as far as i'm concerned). got rid of the clutter i didn't want in the online kitchen and have been using it since it's first day of release. top notch.

Guest valerebel
why are you waiting so eagerly for the final version when r4 build 3 rocks already?

Because it's a Work In Progress and not a full release! But I must admit that I am tempted if MCR4 based on the Euro version does not appear soon.

valerebel

Edited by valerebel

Guest toxic-hero
Because it's a Work In Progress and not a full release!

i've never used all those leaked hero 2.1's from the past just because i want a stable release for every day usage. and this one really is stable.

i don't have any idea how much more "magic" we can expect from paul in the future for r4 to become completed but i'm more than satisfied with this so called work in progress.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest Da Tiga
yeah the r4 build 3 is excellent. speedy, stable...no reason not to go with it (as far as i'm concerned). got rid of the clutter i didn't want in the online kitchen and have been using it since it's first day of release. top notch.

But it doesnt work on my Hero.

I installed it at first without a wipe = boot loop on "htc - quietly brilliant", the restart, wipe, reflash = same problem...

whats up with it?

is it couse my apps²sd?

i think so, but i dont know what is to do against this problem.....

i still waiting on an final release too

;-)

Guest toxic-hero
can anyone say how it compares to villain 6.0.2 ROM?

i've never tried villain in the past because of all those complains on forums about lags and FCs but i expect paul's r4b3 to be far more stable than villain 6.0.2 because it's based on official htc 2.1 not on a leaked alpha version (like 6.0.2 was).

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest toxic-hero
But it doesnt work on my Hero.

I installed it at first without a wipe = boot loop on "htc - quietly brilliant", the restart, wipe, reflash = same problem...

whats up with it?

is it couse my apps²sd?

i think so, but i dont know what is to do against this problem.....

i still waiting on an final release too

it probably is a2sd. maybe you should also reformat your sd card.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest Dan Mullen

I'm also waiting for MCR4.0 based on the Euro GMS ROM. I've read a few people's reports of niggling little issues with this one, plus it is only a WIP.

I've waited long enough, think I can hang on another week or so ;)

Guest valerebel
I'm also waiting for MCR4.0 based on the Euro GMS ROM. I've read a few people's reports of niggling little issues with this one, plus it is only a WIP.

I've waited long enough, think I can hang on another week or so ;)

Hi Dan

Well I bit the bullet about an hour ago and installed R4 Build 3 and I must say that I am impressed. I was running MCR3.1 and it seems more responsive but I am yet to come across any issues and I have been playing non stop since.

I'll report back with my findings tomorrow.

valerebel

Edited by valerebel

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi Dan

Well I bit the bullet about an hour ago and installed R4 Build 3 and I must say that I am impressed. I was running MCR3.1 and it seems more responsive but I am yet to come across any issues and I have been playing non stop since.

I'll report back with my findings tomorrow.

valerebel

Cheers mate, appreciate the report! My biggest concern at the moment is A2SD, as a few people seem to be complaining about that. If it's working OK though, maybe I'll jump in! ;)

Guest ShiDi
I am wondering how many ppl are using a2sd and a2sd+

which one is recommended?

cheers

James

Yeah! What's the difference b/w those 2? Thx in adv!

ShiDi

Guest Dr. dre
Yeah! What's the difference b/w those 2? Thx in adv!

ShiDi

In A2SD+ the Dalvik Cache is also moved to the SD Card and in A2SD the Dalvik Cache is on the Phone Memory.

It's also mentioned in the MCR 4.0 thread.

Guest James_Lin
In A2SD+ the Dalvik Cache is also moved to the SD Card and in A2SD the Dalvik Cache is on the Phone Memory.

It's also mentioned in the MCR 4.0 thread.

cheers, I know the differences, but which one do you guys recommend? In the first post, it was mentioned A2SD+ (old style), does that mean we should pick A2SD instead?

cheers

James

Guest mystique1

For you guys with the bootloop problem,

I've flashed mine 3 times now and discovered the easiest fix is to just re-partition the card to Ext2 and it works straight away ;)

Guest patts

I also got a boot-loop with the a2sd+... Then i made sure i got a ext3 partition and the rest fat 32. Then i installed a a2sd (not +) and it worked just fine! ;)

The big question here is when is HTC gonna release 2.1, not when paul is gonna.. :( The WIP works just fine...

Guest Dr. dre
cheers, I know the differences, but which one do you guys recommend? In the first post, it was mentioned A2SD+ (old style), does that mean we should pick A2SD instead?

cheers

James

I personally use my Phone memory to install apps, I don't know exactly which one is better but I think A2SD is a bit faster than A2SD+

Guest shokka9

Guys...

As the title suggests, release 4 build 3 - WIP (Work In Progress), is exactly that.

I think (and assume) Paul is waiting for full official Euro GSM version from HTC before releasing a FINAL MCR 4.0.

@ Dan Mullen.

The r4B3 release is very usable, everything works, just make sure you fully WIPE everything, re-partition your SD card, and good to go.

You have to remember you are coming from Android 1.5 to 2.1, so the FS (File System) is not the same hence the requirement to fully WIPE & Repartition SD card.

It is worth it, there is not much difference in performance between MCR3.2 and this build. However if you have waiting this long, then you may aswell wait for the MCR4.0 too.

Unfortunately for me, i am selling my Hero, so i will miss MCR4.0. However i will be on a new Android device by the end of 2010 (maybe even early 2011).

My Blackberry will see me thru, and maybe even a new iPhone 4 next month or not long after?????

Guest englishpunk

The only reason i'm now waiting for the next release is there is obviously an issue with A2SD in the ROM, everyone appears to have to repartition to get it to work. Personally i don't want to have to go through the hassle of doing that, thus losing all my applications, especially as obviously even if i use Titanium Backup, i'd need to take the files off the SD, then put them back on, then restore, etc. etc.

The whole idea of zipping the ROMs is to make upgrades easy, obviously there's still a bug in the WIP version causing A2SD not to work in the upgrade, even though the previous MCR releases did. My SD is FAT32 + EXT3, nothing fancy, so i'll leave it until the bugs are ironed out of the process, and hopefully there will be an Orange UK 100% compatible radio out with the European edition too.

Guest valerebel
@shokka9

You have to remember you are coming from Android 1.5 to 2.1, so the FS (File System) is not the same hence the requirement to fully WIPE & Repartition SD card.

Although I wiped the phone, I did not wipe the SD card. So is it best to re-flash and wipe the SD card too? If so, what exactly do I need to do to the SD card?

Thanks.

valerebel

Guest Dr. dre
Although I wiped the phone, I did not wipe the SD card. So is it best to re-flash and wipe the SD card too? If so, what exactly do I need to do to the SD card?

Thanks.

valerebel

Format your SD Card and repartition it, that will be the best.

Guest Dan Mullen
@ Dan Mullen.

The r4B3 release is very usable, everything works, just make sure you fully WIPE everything, re-partition your SD card, and good to go.

It is worth it, there is not much difference in performance between MCR3.2 and this build. However if you have waiting this long, then you may aswell wait for the MCR4.0 too.

Thanks. My only other issue is with the new radio as I'm on Orange, although I suppose I don't have to flash that. I'll probably do a nandroid then give this a go, although I'd rather have the European GMS 2.1 as a base. I assume upgrading to the full MCR4.0 will be seamless from this WIP?