Noob Question - Swapping ROM's on a Rooted N1

Guest ChrisSpera

Guest ChrisSpera

First, I apologize for the noob question. I'm new to Android phones (I'm a WinMo expert, as I'm certain some will attest to).

I have a unlocked and rooted N1 and am currently running Paul's r18 FroYo ROM. I flashed r18 over r17 this morning on the train ride in to Chicago. Here's the noob question -

(I'd research the answer if I could, but I'm at work (a Sr. Consultant), and I don'thave a lot of time to poke around the forums, or else I would find the answer on my own...)

What issues, if any, will I bump into in swapping Paul's Desire ROM with the r18 FroYo ROM? I am assuming I full Nandroid Backup and wiping of the phone and ALL caches will be recommended and required.

If its possible to easily bounce back and forth between these ROM's that would be very cool.

Thanks in advance for any help and for the understanding of the noob question.

Guest kyle16
What issues, if any, will I bump into in swapping Paul's Desire ROM with the r18 FroYo ROM? I am assuming I full Nandroid Backup and wiping of the phone and ALL caches will be recommended and required.

You won't run into any issues going back and forth - at least I haven't! Just do the NandBackup and full wiping. I have been going back and forth just playing with them over the past week or so.

Edited by kyle16

Guest charronegro1971
First, I apologize for the noob question. I'm new to Android phones (I'm a WinMo expert, as I'm certain some will attest to).

I have a unlocked and rooted N1 and am currently running Paul's r18 FroYo ROM. I flashed r18 over r17 this morning on the train ride in to Chicago. Here's the noob question -

(I'd research the answer if I could, but I'm at work (a Sr. Consultant), and I don'thave a lot of time to poke around the forums, or else I would find the answer on my own...)

If its possible to easily bounce back and forth between these ROM's that would be very cool.

Thanks in advance for any help and for the understanding of the noob question.

You won't run into any problems at all. I'm running Paul's Desire Rom (my favorite) and his FroYo Rom. I practically flash my phone from one Rom to the other as often as a teenager texts and drives! And YES.....I even flash my Roms while I'm driving!

Guest kyle16
You won't run into any problems at all. I'm running Paul's Desire Rom (my favorite) and his FroYo Rom. I practically flash my phone from one Rom to the other as often as a teenager texts and drives! And YES.....I even flash my Roms while I'm driving!

LOL! Yes I do that too sometimes.

Edited by kyle16

I vaguely remember some people having issues with the video camera or other apps when going from Froyo to Desire... And IIRC the solution was to flash the older radio image too, to replace the one that came with Froyo.

Gotta search the threads to confirm.

Guest DrQuantum

Thats awesome... say, what do you do about all your apps? when you do a full wipe, doesn't that blow out all the Applications? or do you just use something like Appbrain to restore them all?

That is the only question keeping me from trying anything other than CyangoenMod..

Guest Chief Gribbler
Thats awesome... say, what do you do about all your apps? when you do a full wipe, doesn't that blow out all the Applications? or do you just use something like Appbrain to restore them all?

titanium backup. Well worth purchasing as well, the guy deserves it and needs his poutine.