The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide

Guest Azurren

Guest salamanov

Hi, I have a problem with Returning to the Official 1.5 Update. I downloaded the Official 1.5 downgrade file put on SD card, go to settings -sd card & phone storage - software update, and when the update is done the phone is shutting down, when I turn it on it's still with 2.1 HU.

Help please.

Guest Epic-Emodude
Hi, I have a problem with Returning to the Official 1.5 Update. I downloaded the Official 1.5 downgrade file put on SD card, go to settings -sd card & phone storage - software update, and when the update is done the phone is shutting down, when I turn it on it's still with 2.1 HU.

Help please.

I think its a thing that resets something allowing you to then flash an official 1.5 rom. So try flashing the December updated after the downgrade thing.

Aaron

Guest Azurren

Help please.

I think its a thing that resets something allowing you to then flash an official 1.5 rom. So try flashing the December updated after the downgrade thing.

Aaron

Exactly. You have to follow the entire guide to downgrade :(

Guest krfan

Hello everyone!!

Just last week, my uncle came back from Hong Kong and brought back 4 units of T-mobile Pulse (one unit for each of my family member) that he bought from ShenZhen, China (and as for how the Chinese got the Pulse, I was told that they parallel imported it from another country). According to my uncle, the Chinese seller claimed that these phones are running on Android 2.1 and i believe this is true as the ''Firmware version'' is ''2.1-update1'', as obtained from ''About Phone'' under ''Settings'' (Please correct me if i'm wrong).

And what i was surprised about was that all four phones had different applications inside it. After learning more from reading forums such as this (modaco), i realised that the Chinese sellers must've rooted these phones as one phone had Built number "u8220v100r001c85b815", while another phone had a different Built number "FLB Mod v1.0".

You see, this is the thing: After much reading, i mostly came across ways of rooting the phone from it's stock firmware. However, as for my case, i do not even know what's the stock firmware as the phone has already been rooted before.

So the question is, from where i am now with the already-rooted-phones, where do i begin from? My intention would be to install custom roms such as the FLB Mod (the one i'm having, i believe, is outdated) and some Google Apps (eg. Android Market, Voice Search etc..). I have even read about the Nandroid and Amon Ra but i really must be very stupid because both programs still seems to be the same to me.

Also, there's been another question that's been bugging me: My Pulse has been unlocked when it was handed to me. Unlocked by who, that i don't know. So i was wondering that if i install a custom rom/revert it back to it's stock firmware, will it be re-locked??

And finally, the reason why i thought that i'd relate my story above is because i thought it'd be best that you understand my condition first.

For starters, here is some important info that you might need about one of the phones (obtained from ''About Phone''):

Model number: Pulse

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 6383

Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf huawei@localhost #2

Built number: u8220v100r001c85b815

Please tell me if you need any other info about my Pulse.

Please don't flare me; i'm such a newbie :( And thanks for all your help out there!!

Edited by krfan

Guest Azurren
Hello everyone!!

Just last week, my uncle came back from Hong Kong and brought back 4 units of T-mobile Pulse (one unit for each of my family member) that he bought from ShenZhen, China (and as for how the Chinese got the Pulse, I was told that they parallel imported it from another country). According to my uncle, the Chinese seller claimed that these phones are running on Android 2.1 and i believe this is true as the ''Firmware version'' is ''2.1-update1'', as obtained from ''About Phone'' under ''Settings'' (Please correct me if i'm wrong).

And what i was surprised about was that all four phones had different applications inside it. After learning more from reading forums such as this (modaco), i realised that the Chinese sellers must've rooted these phones as one phone had Built number "u8220v100r001c85b815", while another phone had a different Built number "FLB Mod v1.0".

You see, this is the thing: After much reading, i mostly came across ways of rooting the phone from it's stock firmware. However, as for my case, i do not even know what's the stock firmware as the phone has already been rooted before.

So the question is, from where i am now with the already-rooted-phones, where do i begin from? My intention would be to install custom roms such as the FLB Mod (the one i'm having, i believe, is outdated) and some Google Apps (eg. Android Market, Voice Search etc..). I have even read about the Nandroid and Amon Ra but i really must be very stupid because both programs still seems to be the same to me.

Also, there's been another question that's been bugging me: My Pulse has been unlocked when it was handed to me. Unlocked by who, that i don't know. So i was wondering that if i install a custom rom/revert it back to it's stock firmware, will it be re-locked??

And finally, the reason why i thought that i'd relate my story above is because i thought it'd be best that you understand my condition first.

For starters, here is some important info that you might need about one of the phones (obtained from ''About Phone''):

Model number: Pulse

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 6383

Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf huawei@localhost #2

Built number: u8220v100r001c85b815

Please tell me if you need any other info about my Pulse.

Please don't flare me; i'm such a newbie B) And thanks for all your help out there!!

Whoo long post :(

So does each one have a different rom / update? As they were bought from Hong Kong they may have compatibility issues if you were to flash the wrong official update but seeing as one has already had the FLB mod flashed they should all be able to flash it with no problem whatsoever :P

Now, just to clarify a few things.. "Nandroid" is a back-up tool to back-up pretty much everything so if something were to go wrong you could restore it and bring your phone right back to what it was.

"Amon Ra" is the custom recovery image, it's the tool that allows you to install custom roms and make backups :(

Right then. To update your FLB mod on the device with 1.0 just follow http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1318836 from Step 6

To install FLB mod on the other devices follow http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1318836 from Step 1

Installing, removing, factory resetting or anything software wise will not re-lock your phone. So no worries :P

Hope this helps

Guest krfan
So does each one have a different rom / update? As they were bought from Hong Kong they may have compatibility issues if you were to flash the wrong official update but seeing as one has already had the FLB mod flashed they should all be able to flash it with no problem whatsoever cool.gif

To be precise, i now currently have 3 phones. The remaining one is not of our concern lol (as the remaining one is no longer in my hands). And as to answer your question, two phones are currently on the the "FLB Mod v1.0", while the other being "u8220v100r001c85b815" (and can you enlighten me about this "u8220v100r001c85b815" ROM? It sounds like to me, that it's a stock rom, well i'm just guessing).

Now, just to clarify a few things.. "Nandroid" is a back-up tool to back-up pretty much everything so if something were to go wrong you could restore it and bring your phone right back to what it was.

So i'm supposed to do a Nandroid back-up, of all things, first? Say that i bricked the phone or something really went bad, will Nandroid be my saviour? Haha :(

"Amon Ra" is the custom recovery image, it's the tool that allows you to install custom roms and make backups smile.gif

Now this gets a little confusing. You mentioned "backups" in both "Nandroid" and "Amon Ra" :/

Right then. To update your FLB mod on the device with 1.0 just follow http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1318836 from Step 6

To install FLB mod on the other devices follow http://android.modaco.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1318836 from Step

I hate to say this but... whenever i open these links, they direct me to the main page "http://android.modaco.com/"??

Installing, removing, factory resetting or anything software wise will not re-lock your phone. So no worries wink.gif

Thanks a bunch!! This should be like... the mother of all questions, LOL!!

And once again, thank you so much for your help!! (Goodness, i really thought no one would bother replying my really noob post)

Guest Azurren

Okay instead of following the links just find this guide on the 1st page

"Installing A 2.1 Custom Rom"

I'm not sure about that rom number (I don't know any rom number :() but as long as it is a 2.1 rom (update one) you can follow the guide to installing the FLB mod.

Nandroid is just the name of the backup (for lack of a better word)

And Amon Ra in layman's terms is just a menu, with the option of backing up (Nandroid) and flashing custom roms.

Hope this clears everything up :(

Edited by Azurren

Guest krfan

Azurren, thanks for your great replies, i really appreciate it :(

After reading your replies yesterday, i went about reading on the guides you posted about "Installing A 2.1 Custom Rom" on page 1 of this thread, this time, understanding it much better than before :( Then i came across the dreaded driver installation problem everyone seemed to have encountered and took a couple of good few hours to find a solution to it. By that time, it was already very late, so i went to sleep...till i just woke up now lol.

Was thinking before i slept yesterday, probably a question that has been answered: Does installing a custom mod (i was thinking of Flibblesan's FLB Mod) include those important Google Applications such as Voice Search, Android Market and so on??

Thanks again!!

Guest Azurren
Azurren, thanks for your great replies, i really appreciate it :P

After reading your replies yesterday, i went about reading on the guides you posted about "Installing A 2.1 Custom Rom" on page 1 of this thread, this time, understanding it much better than before :( Then i came across the dreaded driver installation problem everyone seemed to have encountered and took a couple of good few hours to find a solution to it. By that time, it was already very late, so i went to sleep...till i just woke up now lol.

Was thinking before i slept yesterday, probably a question that has been answered: Does installing a custom mod (i was thinking of Flibblesan's FLB Mod) include those important Google Applications such as Voice Search, Android Market and so on??

Thanks again!!

Yes :(

But voice search is limited (As in you can search by voice but "voice to text" is not included)

Guest krfan
Yes smile.gif

But voice search is limited (As in you can search by voice but "voice to text" is not included)

That's wonderful to know!! Voice-to-text..seems redundant to me as for now, so i don't think i'll be needing that anyways, haha :(

Anyways, i'm currently in the process of "Installing A 2.1 Custom Rom" using Flibblesan's "v1.2 - 29th July 2010" ROM, which is found here: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...om-with-tweaks/

Everything seems to work great, until i got confused in Step 7, which i will quote from your guide:

Step 7: Select the Option "USB MS Toggle" and plug your phone into your computer. Download a Custom ROM of your choice and place the ENTIRE ZIP (Do not extract it) onto the root of your SD card.

By "Root" I mean do not place the file in any subfolders

This is how i translate it (please correct me if i'm wrong):

1. Download a Custom ROM.

2. Place the entire ZIP file of the Custom ROM into the Root of the MicroSD card.

3. Insert the MicroSD card into the phone.

4. Select the option "USB MS Toggle".

5. Plug your phone into the computer.

6. [This step is your Step 8]

Step 8: Return to the Custom Recover Main menu and select the "Backup/Restore" option. Choose a standard nandroid backup and let it run it's course

Am i right to say so? :(

Guest Azurren
That's wonderful to know!! Voice-to-text..seems redundant to me as for now, so i don't think i'll be needing that anyways, haha :P

Anyways, i'm currently in the process of "Installing A 2.1 Custom Rom" using Flibblesan's "v1.2 - 29th July 2010" ROM, which is found here: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...om-with-tweaks/

Everything seems to work great, until i got confused in Step 7, which i will quote from your guide:

This is how i translate it (please correct me if i'm wrong):

2. Place the entire ZIP file of the Custom ROM into the Root of the MicroSD card.

4. Select the option "USB MS Toggle".

5. Plug your phone into the computer.

6. [This step is your Step 8]

Am i right to say so? :(

Ahhh :P

The "Toggle USB" option in the custom recovery menu allows you to plug your phone in via usb and access the micro sd card. (Instead of using a Card reader)

If you want to use a card reader then follow

Then continue to step 8 :(

Edited by Azurren

Guest krfan

(Sorry for the late reply, i went out for dinner and just only came back to continue on this)

Ah, i see! And so i'm now in Step 8 where i'm supposed to...

...Choose a standard nandroid backup and let it run it's course

Well, there appears to be 5 options after i selected the "Backup/Restore" option:

- Nand backup

- Nand + ext backup

- Nand restore

- BART backup

- BART restore

The "standard nandroid backup" you mentioned, could it be option one which is "Nand backup"??

(I'm sorry that i have to ask so many specific questions, because i'm afraid that if this whole rooting process fails, my mom and my uncle will skin me alive :()

Guest Azurren
(Sorry for the late reply, i went out for dinner and just only came back to continue on this)

Ah, i see! And so i'm now in Step 8 where i'm supposed to...

Well, there appears to be 5 options after i selected the "Backup/Restore" option:

- Nand backup

- Nand + ext backup

- Nand restore

- BART backup

- BART restore

The "standard nandroid backup" you mentioned, could it be option one which is "Nand backup"??

(I'm sorry that i have to ask so many specific questions, because i'm afraid that if this whole rooting process fails, my mom and my uncle will skin me alive :()

Yes just a Nandroid Backup

Guest krfan

Azurren!! Thank you so much!! I did the custom ROM and it worked!! Yays!! :)

P.S. Probably it's just that i'm not used to this new ROM, because i feel that it looks weird to me, haha. I mean, visually weird.

P.S.S. Now the next (unrelated) question begins to dawn me: I'm aware that Android 2.2 is out, and the HTC's are getting it. Does the Pulse stand a chance for an Android update, too?? I done numerous searches but none of my findings answered one fundamental question: Does T-mobile does the update, or does the Android Google company does the update for us?

Edited by krfan

Guest Azurren
Azurren!! Thank you so much!! I did the custom ROM and it worked!! Yays!! :D

P.S. Probably it's just that i'm not used to this new ROM, because i feel that it looks weird to me, haha. I mean, visually weird.

P.S.S. Now the next (unrelated) question begins to dawn me: I'm aware that Android 2.2 is out, and the HTC's are getting it. Does the Pulse stand a chance for an Android update, too?? I done numerous searches but none of my findings answered one fundamental question: Does T-mobile does the update, or does the Android Google company does the update for us?

Shot answer.. No.

People are trying to port it to the pulse here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-2-development/

But unless the Pulses source is released it will never be. Even if they do make a break through, honestly, it will never be usable :)

Guest krfan

Hey guys, i can't seem to revert back to Android file. I keep getting stuck on the "Restarting..." part where it never restarts. I waited for a couple of minutes, took out and put back the battery, press the power button and my Pulse boots back into 2.1 No sign of it reverting back to Android 1.5 :/

Please help me?

Guest Azurren
Hey guys, i can't seem to revert back to Android file. I keep getting stuck on the "Restarting..." part where it never restarts. I waited for a couple of minutes, took out and put back the battery, press the power button and my Pulse boots back into 2.1 No sign of it reverting back to Android 1.5 :/

Please help me?

You have to follow the entire guide :)

The "Time machine" just reparations the device to allow the December update to be installed.

Guest krfan
You have to follow the entire guide :)

The "Time machine" just reparations the device to allow the December update to be installed.

I did follow the guide. In fact, i'm rereading it and redoing it a bajillion times, but to no avail. Perhaps i could outline my situation to you?..

Currently on flb v1.2 and according to your guide, i have to download the "Official 1.5 downgrade file" which i did. Everything is well, until step 5:

Confirm that you wish to update and allow the device to run it's course. The phone may get stuck on "Restarting" if so wait a few minutes then remove and re-insert the battery

Indeed, my phone got stuck at "Restarting...". I did wait a few minutes, then removed the battery, and inserted the battery, boot it up, but the phone still boots back into my android 2.1 flb v1.2 No signs of it going back to 1.5

I've been refreshing every few mins and waiting for replies in this forum and flibblesan's since hours ago. Getting really worked up already. Sighs.

Guest Azurren
I did follow the guide. In fact, i'm rereading it and redoing it a bajillion times, but to no avail. Perhaps i could outline my situation to you?..

Currently on flb v1.2 and according to your guide, i have to download the "Official 1.5 downgrade file" which i did. Everything is well, until step 5:

Indeed, my phone got stuck at "Restarting...". I did wait a few minutes, then removed the battery, and inserted the battery, boot it up, but the phone still boots back into my android 2.1 flb v1.2 No signs of it going back to 1.5

I've been refreshing every few mins and waiting for replies in this forum and flibblesan's since hours ago. Getting really worked up already. Sighs.

Step 5: Confirm that you wish to update and allow the device to run it's course. The phone may get stuck on "Restarting" if so wait a few minutes then remove and re-insert the battery

If your phone "Fails to Update" Please refer to the FAQ [here]

Step 6: Download the "December Update" from here:

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/library/TMOB...th_Userdata.zip

Just flash the December Update.

The downgrade file just prepares the Pulse so it can downgrade to 1.5

Guest Azurren

Complete overhaul!

• Guide now based on official UK 2.1
    Known bugs updated
    Easier to follow steps
    Old, no longer being updated, custom roms removed
    FLB Mod links updated
    Frameworks Updated

Better late than never I guess :)

Guest twrock
Complete overhaul!
  • Guide now based on official UK 2.1
    Known bugs updated
    Easier to follow steps
    Old, no longer being updated, custom roms removed
    FLB Mod links updated
    Frameworks Updated

Better late than never I guess :D

Thanks for keeping this up to date.

IMHO, it would be nice to have a guide labeled "How to do your very first backup". I know it's all in there in other places already, but the complete noob can't even get that far. (I couldn't when I got started.) Maybe just a link right near the top of the first post to some other thread?

Incidentally, just to show how confusing it can be, Paul's instructions for installing and using the AmonRA recovery image still say this in the first post:

"We haven't yet found the key combination for starting recovery mode from power-off on the device,...."

I know the description of how to do it shows up later in the thread, but it would be nice to have it all simplified. And since you are so good at that, ....... :D

Guest Azurren
Thanks for keeping this up to date.

IMHO, it would be nice to have a guide labeled "How to do your very first backup". I know it's all in there in other places already, but the complete noob can't even get that far. (I couldn't when I got started.) Maybe just a link right near the top of the first post to some other thread?

Incidentally, just to show how confusing it can be, Paul's instructions for installing and using the AmonRA recovery image still say this in the first post:

"We haven't yet found the key combination for starting recovery mode from power-off on the device,...."

I know the description of how to do it shows up later in the thread, but it would be nice to have it all simplified. And since you are so good at that, ....... :D

I know that is hilarious ;)

I would like to break the guide into more sections but would that help or confuse newbies?

I tried to keep it in steps so that if and when people get stuck they can point to the exact step which confused them.

If it were broken into multiple guides for different steps then it would get a lot harder for people to follow and for people to help them :D

Apps2SD is broken into a separate guide and that has confused a lot of people.

But thanks for the feedback. I will try to see if I can make this guide more simple :D

Guest Evil Panda

Sorry for this but I'm a noob at this, I install the UK official 2.1 fine and wanted to intsatll the custom rom. But I got up to step 7 and it missing alot of the thing in there. At the top it say Android sytem recovery <2e> it only have reboot system now, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. Please someone help me.

Edited by Evil Panda

Guest Azurren
Sorry for this but I'm a noob at this, I install the UK official 2.1 fine and wanted to intsatll the custom rom. But I got up to step 7 and it missing alot of the thing in there. At the top it say Android sytem recovery <2e> it only have reboot system now, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. Please someone help me.

It sounds like something went wrong at Step 5:

Open the "install-recovery-windows.bat" (Windows) or the "install-recovery-mac.sh" (Mac) or the "install-recovery-linux.sh" (Linux)

This will open and close very quickly. There is no visible indication that anything has happened on either the computer or the phone. If you get a "waiting for device" or an error refer to the FAQ [here]

Did the BAT file complete and close itself without giving any error? It could be a driver problem.