[HOWTO] Flash a Permanent Recovery Image with UnrEVOked

Guest 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys

HOWTO: Flash a Permanent Custom Recovery Image With UnrEVOked

WARNING!

ROM Manager does work after you have used this, and has been confirmed by koush (The guy who makes ClockworkMod) but because the app uses flash_image to flash the recovery, if it dosen't have enough memory then it will fail & you will have no recovery so will not be able to boot your phone! (This can be recovered using an RUU in fastboot)

Because of this, it is Highly Recommended that you kill all your apps before using ROM Manager to flash or just avoid it.

Why?

It enables you to have a custom recovery image installed (like Hero or G1) so that you can have access to Recovery anywhere. (& Backup SD EXT)

Can I get Back?

You can get back very easily by using an HTC RUU for your network which you can find here. Or use one of my OpenRUUs for Linux & Mac users. (See the link in my sig)

Requirements:

A Rooted Desire

Patience!

A PC, Mac or Linux (Linux or Mac recommended because you will have no problems with drivers or HTC Sync.)

Downloads:

The correct file for your computer at unrevoked.com/recovery

Instructions:

Windows: (Thanks to BlackLine7)

1) Install the HBOOT driver (take a look at the guide in the zip you just downloaded)

2) Unninstall HTC Sync (leave HTC Driver Installer)

3) Reboot

4) Take your Desire and go to Settings - Connect to PC - Default connection type - Disk drive and remove check from Ask me

5) Connect your Desire

6) Start the reflash.exe in Admin mode

7) Wait (it should take about 1-2 minutes)

8) Done

You can then reinstall HTC Sync if you need it.

If you have problems check you have the drivers installed, or if you really can't get it to work use an Ubuntu live CD from www.ubuntu.com

Linux:

1) With the phone on goto Settings > Connect to PC -> Default connection type -> Disk Drive

2) Uncheck 'Ask me' option then goto Home

3) Download this, extract and double click on Unrevoked.sh and click 'Run in Terminal'.

4) Wait for it to finish...

No messing in terminal required! ;)

Mac:

1) With the phone on goto Settings > Connect to PC -> Default connection type -> Disk Drive

2) Uncheck 'Ask me' option then go back to Home

3) Just run it.

*Looking to expand on Mac, if anyone did it please let us know what you did.*

Check it works:

Power off device.

Load HBOOT ( VOL DOWN + POWER )

Wait for the image check to complete.

Press VOL DOWN to highlight 'RECOVERY' then press POWER to accept.

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.0.1.0 should load.

Or run 'adb reboot recovery' if you know what that means :(

Donate:

If you would like to donate to the developers, click here: https://secure.eff.org/site/Donation2?df_id...36oudi2.app209a

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest Subject Delta

Another piece of the root puzzle solved at least, now all we need is write access to system and custom SPL flashing.

Guest Enemydk

Can anyone elaborate a bit on what the benefits of having a permanent recovery image is ?

The current method (fake-flash) seems to do the trick ?

Also is there any way to revert this?

Guest Subject Delta

Yes, flashing an official RUU would overwrite this with a stock recovery I believe.

I guess the best answer I can give you as a non-dev is that having it on the phone gives you a process that is a little less convoluted (you don't have to press so many buttons, or wait for it to flash) and as it is on the phone internally, probably a bit more stable as a full solution.

Oh, and I guess another way for devs to show they can triumph over HTC's lockdowns

Edited by Subject Delta

Guest spammyspam
Oh, and I guess another way for devs to show they can triumph over HTC's lockdowns

Thanks for that. I think I'm fine with the fake flash for now, unless this can bring in some new functionality over that.

What would the difference in usage be? Just press a button and turn on?

Guest aballads

Everytime i try to install the HBoot Drivers and direct the device manager to the SDK USB Drivers or the drivers that come with unrEVOked, it will say, no drivers found..... I removed HTC Sync

Can someone give me a little insight to what i am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Guest Kevin Ye

flash reboot flash reboot.... no less than 15 times

but finally I got the awesome recovery working .

HOWTO: Flash a Permanent Custom Recovery Image With UnrEVOked

Why?

It enables you to have a custom recovery image installed (like Hero or G1) so that you can have access to Recovery anywhere. (& Backup SD EXT)

Can I get Back?

You can get back very easily by using an HTC RUU for your network which you can find here. Or use one of my OpenRUUs for Linux & Mac users.

Requirements:

A Rooted Desire

A PC, Mac or Linux (Linux recommended because you will have no problems with drivers.)

Downloads:

The correct file for your computer at http://unrevoked.com/recovery

Instructions:

Install the HBOOT Drivers

Follow the instructions in the application.

I will give more detailed info when I have actually done it.

Donate:

If you would like to donate to the developers, click here: https://secure.eff.org/site/Donation2?df_id...36oudi2.app209a

Guest BlackLine7

Just reposting what i posted on XDA.

Worked for me in the 3rd try on Windows 7 x64.

I did it like that:

1) Install the HBOOT driver

2) Unninstall HTC Sync and HTC Driver Installer

3) Reboot

4) Install HTC Sync

5) Take your Desire and go to Settings - Connect to PC - Default connection type - Disk drive and remove check from Ask me

5) Connect your Desire

7) Wait, wait, wait

8) Done

All drivers were reinstalled automaticaly for me during the procces!

Thanks for this and bye,

Black

Guest akashkotak
Just reposting what i posted on XDA.

Worked for me in the 3rd try on Windows 7 x64.

I did it like that:

1) Install the HBOOT driver

2) Unninstall HTC Sync and HTC Driver Installer

3) Reboot

4) Install HTC Sync

5) Take your Desire and go to Settings - Connect to PC - Default connection type - Disk drive and remove check from Ask me

5) Connect your Desire

7) Wait, wait, wait

8) Done

All drivers were reinstalled automaticaly for me during the procces!

Thanks for this and bye,

Black

hOW DO I INSTALL THE DRIVER ... CAUSE WHEN I DO AS THE WEBSITE WITH THE BUNDLE MENTIONS ... ITS SAYS NO DRIVERS FOUND .

Guest DariWari
hOW DO I INSTALL THE DRIVER ... CAUSE WHEN I DO AS THE WEBSITE WITH THE BUNDLE MENTIONS ... ITS SAYS NO DRIVERS FOUND .

â– Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down

â– Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen

Then install the driver. That's it.

Guest Chura

why 2.0.1.0 when 2.0.1.4 is out ? :lol:

Koush, maybe now you will add partition tools to the recovery ? (partition SD and formats ?)

Thanks !!

Guest DarthOps
why 2.0.1.0 when 2.0.1.4 is out ? :lol:

Koush, maybe now you will add partition tools to the recovery ? (partition SD and formats ?)

Thanks !!

I was wondering how we are supposed to update the version of the recovery using unrevoked, anyone know?

Guest bhups

I've got the HTC Desire, but the software reads it as:

Device: *Passion

* is not supported at this time

How comes?

Im using r17 Froyo, could this be the case?

Installed the r19 24/06/10 16:30 GMT and its all working well now :lol:

Edited by bhups

Guest 42turkeys
I've got the HTC Desire, but the software reads it as:

Device: *Passion

* is not supported at this time

How comes?

Im using r17 Froyo, could this be the case?

Yeah, passion is the code name for nexus one so flash mcr 3 back on and be happy!

Guest 42turkeys
Can we make this application so it can let us download the latest ClockwordMod and flash that instead of the 2.0.1.0?

Thanks!

You can use rom manager to update it but make sure you read the warning in the first post.

Guest StuMcBill

Just installed this by following your guide on Windows 7 x64, no problems at all, fantastic guide!!

I have one question though, if I press "Reboot Into Recovery" from within Rom Manager, will it boot into fake-flash or my newly flashed unrEVOked recovery?