oClock Custom ROM

Guest oclock

Guest Vonacid
Maybe someone else can guide you through the steps of how to partition your sdcard for a2sd? As I said, I did everythin manually (because I am used to it :lol:), but I understand that others might have some problems with this. I think there must be an easier fool-proof way to partition your sdcard.

However, if you want to follow my steps, then you just need "adb" for widows, so that you can connect to your phone (google is your friend!).

If you have adb running, you can follow my steps exactly as I wrote them. You will understand each step in the moment you do it. The force is with you, Luke :-)))

oC

edit:

I just found this thread in this forum. maybe it helps:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...-card-for-a2sd/

BTW: You can search also this forum by yourself and find these helpful threads ;-)

Hi oC!!! Thanks for your reply!

I tried following this step:

1. Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button.

2. You will see HBOOT on the screen.

3. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

4. You will now see a red triangle on the screen, at this point plug your phone into your PC via your microUSB cable.

5. Double click on recovery-windows.bat inside the pushfiles_windows.zip folder you unzipped as part of the root process.

6. Using the optical trackpad select Partition sdcard > Partition SD

7. Select SWAP=0, EXT2=512 and allow the rest to be FAT32.

8. Select the SD:ext2 to ext3 option in this menu.

9. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select Reboot system now. While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.

10. And thats it! You now have a rooted Desire with apps2sd. Get in!

But after i go in... i dunno if i have successfully have apps2sd... my phone still uses all the apps on the SD card and i still dun hav an option to move to SD Card in the Application Settings.

I've also tried using ADB Shell using Windows.

I go into my command through cmd and opens the command prompt

>cd..

>cd..

>cd androidSDK\tools

>adb shell

At this point, i have a # in front for typing... and i tried to follow your method:

>su

but it says "su: not found"

Can i know why?

I tried to carry on by typing:

>fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0

But it says "The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1936. There is nothing with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could in certain setups cause problems with:

1> software that runs at boot time <eg., old version of LILO>

2> booting and partitioning software from other OSs <eg., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK>

Command <m for help>

I continued by typing:

>n

and it says

"Command action"

"e extended"

"p primary partition <1-4>"

so i type,

>p

and it says "Partition number <1-4>:"

and i typed:

>1

But it says "Partition 1 is already defined, delete it before re-adding

I'm really confused now.... can anyone pls advise me now???

P.S: I tried deleting the partition by:

>d

>1

>d

>2

Then i key in +1500M for the first cylinder for partition 1 but its asking for how much to input for Last Cylinder for Partition 1. What should i put? for now... i put in +1500M as well...

And the adb shell does not understand the command > <RETURN> as well...

Sorry for being such a noob :D

Edited by Vonacid

Guest oclock
I've also tried using ADB Shell using Windows.

I go into my command through cmd and opens the command prompt

>cd..

>cd..

>cd androidSDK\tools

>adb shell

At this point, i have a # in front for typing... and i tried to follow your method:

>su

but it says "su: not found"

Hmm. Did you already flash "Six-oClock-AM.zip"?

If yes, then I don´t know what is wrong, else it should exactly work as you described it.

"su" should be in /system/xbin on your desire (in fact, it *is* when you installed my ROM)

So, frst you should flash the rom, then partition the sdcard as described and then install the a2sd update.

>fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0

But it says "The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1936. There is nothing with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could in certain setups cause problems with:

1> software that runs at boot time <eg., old version of LILO>

2> booting and partitioning software from other OSs <eg., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK>

This is because the first method you described to partition your sdcard does some strange things. Basically it is only an information for you. Don´t worry :lol:

I continued by typing:

>n

and it says

"Command action"

"e extended"

"p primary partition <1-4>"

so i type,

>p

and it says "Partition number <1-4>:"

and i typed:

>1

But it says "Partition 1 is already defined, delete it before re-adding

I'm really confused now.... can anyone pls advise me now???

Because you already created partitions before on your sdcard (and even a new sdcard has one partition), you cannot just overwrite them, but they must be first deleted. I forgot to mention this in my post on page 2. Howerver, intuitively you did the correct thing afterwards:

P.S: I tried deleting the partition by:

>d

>1

>d

>2

This was perfectly right! Good!

Then i key in +1500M for the first cylinder for partition 1 but its asking for how much to input for Last Cylinder for Partition 1. What should i put? for now... i put in +1500M as well...

This is wrong.

In my post on page 2 I wrote:

> n

> p

> 1

> <RETURN>

> +1500M
So, after you deleted the partitions, you have to type > n (to create a new partition) > p (to say it is a primary partition) > 1 (to say that this will be partition no. 1) > <RETURN> (here you just have to press the RETURN key on your keyboard, because fdisk already preselected "1" as the first cylinder. It is wrong to write +1500M here!!! Just press return.) > +1500M (Here you say that from cylinder one on you want 1500 MB space on this partition. Of course, if your sd card is bigger, then you have to make this value bigger, too. For example, if your sdcard is 8GB, then write +7500M here -> ~500MB will remain for the second partition ) That´s it for the first partition. Now you have to continue with the second partition:
> n

> p

> 2

> <RETURN>

> <RETURN>

Here you do not have to type the size of the partition. Just press two times return, because fdisk automatically suggests the correct values.

And the adb shell does not understand the command > <RETURN> as well...

<RETURN> is not a command, but you just have to press the RETURN key on your keyboard.

Sorry for being such a noob :D

You are not a noob. You are learning. Good luck!

oC

Guest Vonacid

Thanks alot for your reply oC! hehe!!!

Hmm. Did you already flash "Six-oClock-AM.zip"?

If yes, then I don´t know what is wrong, else it should exactly work as you described it.

"su" should be in /system/xbin on your desire (in fact, it *is* when you installed my ROM)

Yes, i'm on Six-oClock-AM by using Windows-recovery and flash the zip. I've also downloaded the one with a2sd update.

But what do you mean by installing the a2sd update? do i flash it like i do for the Six-oClock-AM rom? and must it in done in a sequence like u mentioned?

i.e: Flash rom > partition sdcard > install a2sd update.

So, frst you should flash the rom, then partition the sdcard as described and then install the a2sd update.

This is because the first method you described to partition your sdcard does some strange things. Basically it is only an information for you. Don´t worry :lol:

Because you already created partitions before on your sdcard (and even a new sdcard has one partition), you cannot just overwrite them, but they must be first deleted. I forgot to mention this in my post on page 2. Howerver, intuitively you did the correct thing afterwards:

Yes, i'm on Six-oClock-AM by using Windows-recovery and flash the zip. I've also downloaded the one with a2sd update.

But what do you mean by installing the a2sd update? do i flash it like i do for the Six-oClock-AM rom? and must it in done in a sequence like u mentioned?

In my post on page 2 I wrote:

> n

> p

> 1

> <RETURN>

> +1500M
So, after you deleted the partitions, you have to type > n (to create a new partition) > p (to say it is a primary partition) > 1 (to say that this will be partition no. 1) > <RETURN> (here you just have to press the RETURN key on your keyboard, because fdisk already preselected "1" as the first cylinder. It is wrong to write +1500M here!!! Just press return.) > +1500M (Here you say that from cylinder one on you want 1500 MB space on this partition. Of course, if your sd card is bigger, then you have to make this value bigger, too. For example, if your sdcard is 8GB, then write +7500M here -> ~500MB will remain for the second partition ) That´s it for the first partition. Now you have to continue with the second partition:
> n

> p

> 2

> <RETURN>

> <RETURN>

Here you do not have to type the size of the partition. Just press two times return, because fdisk automatically suggests the correct values.

<RETURN> is not a command, but you just have to press the RETURN key on your keyboard.

You are not a noob. You are learning. Good luck!

oC

If my SD card is 16Gb, i'll type +15000M for my partition one?

Guest oclock
Thanks alot for your reply oC! hehe!!!

If my SD card is 16Gb, i'll type +15000M for my partition one?

1. Yes, the a2sd update must also flashed from the recovery console.

It is important that you first flash Six-oClock-AM.zip and then, after you partitioned the sdcard, Six-oClock-AM-a2sd-update.zip.

2. If you have a 16GB sdcard and you enter +15000M then the size of the 'normal' sdcard partition (for pictures, music and so on) is 15 GB and 1 GB (16-15=1) for the a2sd partition, where apps will be installed.

If you need so much space for apps, then it is perfectly okay.

Best wishes,

oC

Guest Vonacid
1. Yes, the a2sd update must also flashed from the recovery console.

It is important that you first flash Six-oClock-AM.zip and then, after you partitioned the sdcard, Six-oClock-AM-a2sd-update.zip.

2. If you have a 16GB sdcard and you enter +15000M then the size of the 'normal' sdcard partition (for pictures, music and so on) is 15 GB and 1 GB (16-15=1) for the a2sd partition, where apps will be installed.

If you need so much space for apps, then it is perfectly okay.

Best wishes,

oC

That means partition one is for "Normal" sd card partition where i put my pics, music and files while partition 2 is for a2sd (apps installation)?

If that's the case, i will make it +7000M for partition one as i dun have much music and pics to put in and the rest i will use it for apps~ bcoz i will like to have alot of games and applications!!! hahaha~

And how do i check if i have successfully done the A2SD?

Edited by Vonacid

Guest Vonacid
Now my issue is with finding su... i've already updated to 6'oc-AM but still i can't find su

Oh no Oc!!! Help!!! I tried to start everything again by flashing my rom to 6'oC-AM. But after flashing, i cannot start up my phone!! it kept on repeating the White HTC logo quietly brilliant!!! HELP!!! :D

P.S: Oh no... i tried flashing into 5-oC-AM but still the same :D

EDIT: Finally managed to solve the repeat boot problem by wiping and then flashing to 6-oC-AM .... i also shocked myself to death!!! :lol:

Edited by Vonacid

Guest oclock
Oh no Oc!!! Help!!! I tried to start everything again by flashing my rom to 6'oC-AM. But after flashing, i cannot start up my phone!! it kept on repeating the White HTC logo quietly brilliant!!! HELP!!! :D

P.S: Oh no... i tried flashing into 5-oC-AM but still the same :D

EDIT: Finally managed to solve the repeat boot problem by wiping and then flashing to 6-oC-AM .... i also shocked myself to death!!! :lol:

Hehehe :-))

I know how you feel. Once at my Android-Hacking beginning I had same problem and was scared to death :-)

Now, I´ve learned that nothing can really destroy this phone so fast. So, if something went wrong there is almost always a way back to normal operation. Don´t worry so much :-)

And forgot this "su" stuff. Just do it without su.

Good luck,

oC

Guest oclock
That means partition one is for "Normal" sd card partition where i put my pics, music and files while partition 2 is for a2sd (apps installation)?

If that's the case, i will make it +7000M for partition one as i dun have much music and pics to put in and the rest i will use it for apps~ bcoz i will like to have alot of games and applications!!! hahaha~

And how do i check if i have successfully done the A2SD?

Yes, the first partition is the "normal" one.

The second partition for apps.

I´d say that 1 GB is far more than enough :lol:

After you did everything, you can check if adb works like this:

>adb shell

#su (this time su can be found, trust me ;-))

#ls -l /data

you should get a similar output then what I have shon in my post on page 2:

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-27 20:53 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-27 20:53 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-27 20:53 app -> /system/sd/app

The arrow "->" means that these directories are just pointers to another place, namely /system/sd/xyz.

"/system/sd" is a mountpoint for the a2sd-partition on your sdcard.

If you see this, then everything seems to be fine :-)

oC

Guest Vonacid
Yes, the first partition is the "normal" one.

The second partition for apps.

I´d say that 1 GB is far more than enough :lol:

After you did everything, you can check if adb works like this:

>adb shell

#su (this time su can be found, trust me ;-))

#ls -l /data

you should get a similar output then what I have shon in my post on page 2:

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-27 20:53 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-27 20:53 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2010-06-27 20:53 app -> /system/sd/app

The arrow "->" means that these directories are just pointers to another place, namely /system/sd/xyz.

"/system/sd" is a mountpoint for the a2sd-partition on your sdcard.

If you see this, then everything seems to be fine :-)

oC

Hi oC!!! Thank you very very much for your help!! I managed to get my A2Sd done up!!! hehe...

Btw, i have about 5.51GB A2SD Storage and 5.04GB are free... does that means i haven't really used it? Instead i realised i've used alot of my internal memory~ Did i miss out something? maybe there's a step i need to take to move applications into SD?

Guest oclock
Hi oC!!! Thank you very very much for your help!! I managed to get my A2Sd done up!!! hehe...

Btw, i have about 5.51GB A2SD Storage and 5.04GB are free... does that means i haven't really used it? Instead i realised i've used alot of my internal memory~ Did i miss out something? maybe there's a step i need to take to move applications into SD?

0. Congratulations! :-)

1. What do you mean with "i haven´t really used it?" ?

You used ~500 MB. I don´t know what you have installed, but it seems to be alot :-)

2. Which internal memory? How do you know what you have used? How much is used? How much is free?

3. applications are automatically copied to your a2sd partition the first time you boot your phone after you flashed a2sd-update.

I don´t think that you have missed something if "ls -l /data" shows you what I have described.

You can also try this:

> adb shell

# su

# ls -l /system/sd/app

Now you should see all apps that you have installed.

BTW: If the next one ask here how to install as2d, then I expect that you help him with your new knowledge!

Edited by oclock

Guest Vonacid
0. Congratulations! :-)

1. What do you mean with "i haven´t really used it?" ?

You used ~500 MB. I don´t know what you have installed, but it seems to be alot :-)

2. Which internal memory? How do you know what you have used? How much is used? How much is free?

3. applications are automatically copied to your a2sd partition the first time you boot your phone after you flashed a2sd-update.

I don´t think that you have missed something if "ls -l /data" shows you what I have described.

You can also try this:

> adb shell

# su

# ls -l /system/sd/app

Now you should see all apps that you have installed.

BTW: If the next one ask here how to install as2d, then I expect that you help him with your new knowledge!

I used Quick System Info Pro to see all the available storage used/left for SD Card, A2SD, Internal storage, System storage and etc~ its a really nice application!!! hehehe.

I'll try my best to help whoever needs help on this!!! :D

Now i'm only 1 step away from having my "dream" rom, i.e able to type chinese and korean on my phone!!! or is there any great applications like SIMEJI (Japanese) that can type chinese and korean? :lol:

Guest willy792003
I used Quick System Info Pro to see all the available storage used/left for SD Card, A2SD, Internal storage, System storage and etc~ its a really nice application!!! hehehe.

I'll try my best to help whoever needs help on this!!! :D

Now i'm only 1 step away from having my "dream" rom, i.e able to type chinese and korean on my phone!!! or is there any great applications like SIMEJI (Japanese) that can type chinese and korean? :D

and 2 more things please, zip-aligned and de-odexed rom for theme-ing support. thanks for ur work oC :lol:

Edited by willy792003

Guest oclock
and 2 more things please, zip-aligned and de-odexed rom for theme-ing support. thanks for ur work oC :lol:

I already have a de-odexed version at home. I plan to provide the de-odexed (and zipaligned) files as a separate download for all those who wish to use my ROM as a basis for own modifications.

However, for a normal user it makes no sense to install a de-odexed ROM, because dalvik creates again odexed files and stores them on the /data partition. In my tests this 'costed' approx. 50 MB of precious space. For those with a2sd it does not matter, but for those who do not want to use a2sd (like me) it has more disadvantages than advantages.

But you are heard and we´ll find a way :-)

Best wishes

oC

Guest willy792003
I already have a de-odexed version at home. I plan to provide the de-odexed (and zipaligned) files as a separate download for all those who wish to use my ROM as a basis for own modifications.

However, for a normal user it makes no sense to install a de-odexed ROM, because dalvik creates again odexed files and stores them on the /data partition. In my tests this 'costed' approx. 50 MB of precious space. For those with a2sd it does not matter, but for those who do not want to use a2sd (like me) it has more disadvantages than advantages.

But you are heard and we´ll find a way :-)

Best wishes

oC

totally fine with me. i don't mind flashing another zip files for de-odexed and zipaligned as long as i don't have to wipe data+cache. just like ur a2sd option zip file :lol: thanks oC!

Edited by willy792003

Guest Vonacid

Hi guys, i realised that even with A2SD the internal storage still deplete fast, becoz as we install and uninstall, there are still some space taken out even after uninstalling. I've tried removing the cache but still the same... any solutions?

Guest Lollylost100

I hope you upload it soon :lol:.

PS. How to remove T2S and T2W?

Edited by Lollylost100

Guest oclock
I hope you upload it soon :lol:.

PS. How to remove T2S and T2W?

I am busy right now with football and private life :-) And before I upload the de-odexed files for public use, I´d like to test it on my device, to be sure that nothing is broken. But right now, I need my phone as a workhorse. Be patiened, please.

Remove T2W: in \system\usr\keylayout\bravo-keypad.kl (remove WAKE_DROPPED in the DPAD_CENTER line)

Remove T2S: not possible without flashing a new kernel (and no, i will not build one :D )

Why do you want to remove T2W & T2S? You don´t have to use the trackpad and it should also not interfere with normal operation.

Best wishes

oC

Guest Vonacid

Hi oC,

I know u're pretty busy but i can't help it but to ask u haha.

Someone has mentioned before that i can take the Asian Stock rom's SUU chinese input and shift it over to OC-AM.

Do you know how to do it? Can teach me? Hee :lol:

Guest IceSpec
Hi oC,

I know u're pretty busy but i can't help it but to ask u haha.

Someone has mentioned before that i can take the Asian Stock rom's SUU chinese input and shift it over to OC-AM.

Do you know how to do it? Can teach me? Hee :lol:

To write chinese, you can try this

http://www.plzon.com/article/20100527/340.html

Just download and flash...

Edited by IceSpec

Guest Surfinette

Hi OClock,

Congratulations for the great football game today against Argentina! :D :) :) :)

I successfuly updated from 4OClock to 6OClock with A2SD :D

The issue is that with 4OClock I had used a UVOC Kernel (here post 43) to be able to use SetCPU with your ROM

I've installed 6OClock with your kernel and SetCPU won't work anymore... I guess this is because your kernel is not modified to use UVOC (I too noob to do more than guessing :lol: )?

If I load the UVOC kernel I used with 4OClock but this time with 6 OClock, what functionality of 6OClock will I loose?

Do you think you could build a kernel with UVOC to work with 6OClock... so that 6OClock would then reach perfection :D

Surfinette

Guest oclock

out: yes

soon: cannot promise

I have several deadlines in the next 4 weeks that are quite important for me.

However, development on my ROMs has *not* stopped. I got my new WiFi-N router today to test if WiFi-N in my ROM is broken (and to be able to correct it and then of course to have WiFi-N for myself at home :)).

Next ROM will contain:

-ext4

-uv (not sure if I will support "oc")

-connect your desire to other ad hoc networks

-deodexed files (as a separate download)

and maybe some small changes here & there.

I´ll try to do my best and announce progress reports on twitter (http://twitter.com/kdre).

oC

Edited by oclock

Guest yolkah

thanks for the awesome rom. Am currently running 5oclock and I want to remove peep and stocks from the desire. don't use them. is it possible to do it via adb ? TIA

Edited by yolkah