2.1 release due in July 2010

Guest hecatae

Guest PaulZero
Will the update make the GT540 faster? Mine is painfully slow and regularly reboots itself.

The Wikipedia article on Android claims that 2.0/2.1 featured "optimized hardware speed" and a "revamped UI". It is possible these will speed up our phones somewhat, although I'm not aware of the specifics.

Ooh, is HTML 5 support in eclair? I want to be able to use one of the flash packages too (like flash lite or some such).

In other news, I just got curly whirly chocolate all over my GT540. D'oh.

Guest PaulZero
Ooh, is HTML 5 support in eclair? I want to be able to use one of the flash packages too (like flash lite or some such).

Yep HTML 5 support as well as a new browser UI are amongst the features. Native Flash support is 2.2 only, not heard of any third party packages but I'm all ears.

Not sure increased resistance to confectionery is on the improvements list though. :lol:

Guest Jedipottsy

hmm, sorry to dissapoint, flash lite is HTC sense only, and full flash is 2.2 and requires an ARM7 cpu, such as a snapdragon or hummingbird processor. The GT540 is out of luck there, although 2.1 should be quicker and there are OpenGL improvements which makes the phone feel snappier, although even on my HTC desire, live wallpapers will bog the phone down and chew up ram.

Will the update make the GT540 faster? Mine is painfully slow and regularly reboots itself.

I'd like to ask the opposite: will it make it slower?

Mine is quite fast. And has never rebooted itself, nor did it show any OS problems. Thus I'm hesitating whether I should upgrade, once upgrade becomes available.

Guest AerospaceMango

Mine is quite fast. And has never rebooted itself, nor did it show any OS problems. Thus I'm hesitating whether I should upgrade, once upgrade becomes available.

I'd agree with this.....

I've had no trouble with mine, in the 3 weeks I've had it, and have just about fallen in love with it!

Apart from a dodgy battery life, this phone does everything that I want it to.

(I'll still update to 2.1 though!!!)

Guest he6rt6gr6m

Battery's always been good with me. I don't get what some of you are doing to it to have it run out so quick!

Lasts about 2 days with me, if I'm using the WiFi frequently during the day.

Guest Jedipottsy

Doubtful, the only reason 2.1 was slow on some phones is down to poor drivers, G1/Magic being a good example. However the Legend has the same chipset as the GT540 and thats a very smooth phone.

Guest AerospaceMango
Battery's always been good with me. I don't get what some of you are doing to it to have it run out so quick!

Lasts about 2 days with me, if I'm using the WiFi frequently during the day.

Hmmmm....I've still got the "pick it up and play with it, all the time!" bug! That means it runs the battery into the ground.....so I pop it on charge, each evening, and in the morning it is all ready for the next days play!!!

Guest PaulZero
Hmmmm....I've still got the "pick it up and play with it, all the time!" bug! That means it runs the battery into the ground.....so I pop it on charge, each evening, and in the morning it is all ready for the next days play!!!

If you want to keep your battery topped up, leave it plugged in all the time whilst constantly checking for updates. :lol:

Guest he6rt6gr6m

I didn't have that. I love the thing, but knowing it's not going anywhere keeps my mind at ease.

Guest PaulZero

Now that's strange. I load the page on my GT540 and the "coming soon" is gone. I get to my desktop PC, load it again, and it's back to how it was, even after I clear my cache.

To think I got out of bed for this... There's not even any update.

Guest HGeorgiev
Now that's strange. I load the page on my GT540 and the "coming soon" is gone. I get to my desktop PC, load it again, and it's back to how it was, even after I clear my cache.

To think I got out of bed for this... There's not even any update.

I loaded this page only on my desktop PC and there are "coming soon" script on the top of the page.

I guess this is some 'working version' of the documentation about update...

See the link - the document is in the folder, named 'popup', and he name of the document is help_management_view.jsp

Guest PaulZero
I loaded this page only on my desktop PC and there are "coming soon" script on the top of the page.

I guess this is some 'working version' of the documentation about update...

See the link - the document is in the folder, named 'popup', and he name of the document is help_management_view.jsp

I had noticed that. To be honest upon reloading there was the old familiar "coming soon" even on the GT540's browser. So either LG are fiddling with it or I'm seeing things as a result of being ill... I know which option I'm going for. :lol:

Edited by PaulZero

I got that too when I filled the poor thing to the brim with apps. Don't know if it was a particular app or so, but I removed some of them and the phone was back to its snappy self.

And, yes, "even" 2.1 will make it a bit faster. Keep in mind also that LG actually ported stuff from 2 into the 1.6, so IF they have ported stuff from 2.2 into the new 2.1 that would be great.

Also, I think it is quite a good sign that LG will not release something buggy but fast just-to-be-first *Cough HTC Cough Samsung*. Several of my mates have had really bad updates for their phones and I for one vote for a bug free release even if that makes it later.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Also, I think it is quite a good sign that LG will not release something buggy but fast just-to-be-first

That'll be a first.. :lol:

Some of their tv firmwares leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest qwerta369
I got that too when I filled the poor thing to the brim with apps. Don't know if it was a particular app or so, but I removed some of them and the phone was back to its snappy self.

And, yes, "even" 2.1 will make it a bit faster. Keep in mind also that LG actually ported stuff from 2 into the 1.6, so IF they have ported stuff from 2.2 into the new 2.1 that would be great.

Also, I think it is quite a good sign that LG will not release something buggy but fast just-to-be-first *Cough HTC Cough Samsung*. Several of my mates have had really bad updates for their phones and I for one vote for a bug free release even if that makes it later.

Thanks, I think you're right. I hard-reset my GT540 last night and then reinstalled most apps (but not the crap), and now it's zippy again.