"HTC Hero and Samsung Moment frozen in Android 2.1 forever"

Guest JamieGrossman

Guest JamieGrossman

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/...21_forever.html

i only got my hero 6 months ago! considering we've now (hero owners) have been left in the dust once again considering most of the world still don't officially have android 2.1 for their hero's, is it possible to have most of the features from android 2.2 ported over? hopefully Paul can impliment some of the better features of 2.2 into his next modaco rom, or am i dreaming here?

Edited by JamieGrossman

Guest winhhh
This article says "Sprint" which correct me if I'm wrong but that only means the CDMA Hero not necessarily the GSM version?

Wishful thinking mate, wishful thinking.

Here's hoping, anyway.

I guess, Hero is there, where it's supposed to be with a one year old hardware. I'm glad we got 2.1 officially from HTC. There's no reason for HTC to go further and invest engineering resources with no financial return. I will use it as is, and if it's time for more, then based on newer and more powerful hardware ...

Guest Dan Mullen
I guess, Hero is there, where it's supposed to be with a one year old hardware. I'm glad we got 2.1 officially from HTC. There's no reason for HTC to go further and invest engineering resources with no financial return. I will use it as is, and if it's time for more, then based on newer and more powerful hardware ...

+1

Actually, it has been confirmed (by Rogers Canada, and SFR (Vodafone) France) that Magic, which is older than Hero, will be updated to Froyo... well, Magic doesn't have Sense, but...

Edited by Oum

Guest TeaSea
@TeaSea: why, do other manufacturers support their phones forever? I don't think so.

See below:

Actually, it has been confirmed (by Rogers Canada, and SFR (Vodafone) France) that Magic, which is older than Hero, will be updated to Froyo... well, Magic doesn't have Sense, but...

HTC takes an additional six months on top of their initial release date to release an update for the Hero, and then scraps further updates in favour of devices both older AND newer? Not a company I particularly want to buy from if that's the case.

Admittedly other companies have bad track records as well... and that's why i'm not buying from them either.

Unless something amazing comes along by next January my next phone will probably be a Droid 2 or Droid X.

Guest Alastyr

Yes it does, latest official update from HTC contains Sense. :-)

I can't remember where, but HTC has officially said that Hero will not get 2.2 - don't get your hopes up at all. :-)

HTC takes an additional six months on top of their initial release date to release an update for the Hero, and then scraps further updates in favour of devices both older AND newer? Not a company I particularly want to buy from if that's the case.

You should not compare apples with peaches.

HTC (a company) will bring Froyo for devices who hit the market this year, that's committed.

Google (an independent company) might bring out Froyo for Magic, which Google consideres an Android development device like the Nexus One.

So, if Google releases Froyo for Magic, its for experienced people who know what they're doing and what they can expect from their devices.

It's nothing for people who cry like angry babies for toys like live wallpaper, 3D gallery, 720p videos and so on ...

Edited by hpk

Guest TeaSea
You should not compare apples with peaches.

HTC (a company) will bring Froyo for devices who hit the market this year, that's committed.

Google (an independent company) might bring out Froyo for Magic, which Google consideres an Android development device like the Nexus One.

So, if Google releases Froyo for Magic, its for experienced people who know what they're doing and what they can expect from their devices.

It's nothing for people who cry like angry babies for toys like live wallpaper, 3D gallery, 720p videos and so on ...

The fact that the Magic is considered a development device is something I didn't know. If it's google releasing it not HTC then that nullifies my argument somewhat.

Nevertheless, the whole thing with the Hero 2.1 update just made me rather jaded about HTC. That's why i'd like to look further afield.

And are you insinuating that I am one of these people? If not, ok, if so, then frowny face!

My main beef behind the delays on the 2.1 updates and why I would like to go for a manufacturer with a better update track record is two fold:

1: Not (necessarily) because of the toys such as live wallpapers, 3D gallerys, etc (Otherwise I would be raging about their lack of appearance in the Hero 2.1 release :lol:), but because Android is progressing so rapidly, there becomes a point where older releases are simply not privy to the scope of functionality available, and in one case functionality has actually been LOST due to new versions. I'm speaking of beebplayer which was, correct me if i'm wrong, pulled from the market because of a combination of Froyo having flash in and the BBC supposedly making an (so far unreleased) Android iPlayer app? Or the tl;dr version: You might not be able to get the apps you want.

2: Good old fashioned nerd envy! Two of the guys at work got Desires and the env-o-meter went through the roof! Especially when the boss looked at my Hero running 1.5 and was like "Yeah your phone's pretty much a pile of crap in comparison isn't it?"

I guess we'll see more about track records come the end of the year when we discover whether HTC has delivered on their Froyo statements, and whether other companies start to plan to update their phones to Gingerbread.

Guest ndall

HTC's record of failing to meet commitments made about Hero updates will leave many not feeling particularly reassured by this. The Hero was HTC's flagship Android phone released less than a year ago. It languished on an old version of Android for most of its life, will receive one OS update over half a year after an update was first scheduled, and after this update will be considered a legacy device.

I'm not really criticising HTC for its limited updates to the Hero. It is understandable with the current pace of Android development. But I do think it's legitimate to criticise their honesty about their ability to keep the Hero up-to-date. But hey, they're in the business of selling phones.

Basically this is the flipside to having extra Sense bells and whistles on top of vanilla Android. It looks more attractive and helps entice more buyers, but 8 months down the line those buyers' phones will probably have less functionality than older devices running vanilla android without a flashy skin. Magic is being upgraded because it's stock android and therefore much easier and cheaper to do. I bet the Nexus One will be receiving updates long after the Desire is superceded by newer models. Take home message: Sense is great, but if you're buying a skinned Android phone from any manufacturer then do so for what it does now, not for what you hope it might do in the future.

2: Good old fashioned nerd envy! Two of the guys at work got Desires and the env-o-meter went through the roof! Especially when the boss looked at my Hero running 1.5 and was like "Yeah your phone's pretty much a pile of crap in comparison isn't it?"

Ouch - that hurts ;-)

You should go for a development phone like Nexus One or Droid X (not 100% shure), then you will get updates fast and for quite a long time, as they are supported by Goggle directly ...

Guest TeaSea
Ouch - that hurts ;-)

You should go for a development phone like Nexus One or Droid X (not 100% shure), then you will get updates fast and for quite a long time, as they are supported by Goggle directly ...

I'm totally put off the Nexus One because of the hardware issues I keep hearing about. Droid X would indeed be a good one to go for, but only if it'll have a Gingerbread upgrade. Check dis an ting:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/android...-living-on-for/

Either way I reckon that my next phone'll have an SGX graphics chipset because I know someone who works on the drivers, hence I can bitch to him if they screw up :lol: