Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jUsT2eXy

as soon as I put some large apps back to there original location I get the stalling issue back.

Oh man :lol:

Any proper fixes for the big files ?

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest IBTECH
as soon as I put some large apps back to there original location I get the stalling issue back.

It is not really related to the size of the app.

Apps that require more disk i/o will make the device slower. Move your email client, market and other apps you think might be using disk i/o in the background to NAND and you not have this problem.

Just moving email (Touchdown) and Market to NANDsolved the problem for me.

All my other 58 apps are on the SD location.

Guest mbr01

Remember radiogirl83: She addressed the stalling issue in a youtube film and based on that her local (Belgium) Samsung HQ invited her to examine it together, as they were rather surprised to see the phone stalling.

http://www.youtube.com/user/radiogirl83#p/u/1/cB1b0UrX9e0

She took the invitation and went there, which lead to a positive result already. In the follow-up film on youtube, with a reviews of de Galaxy S, she says there is new firmware on it's way to fix the stalling. It's supposed to be on the Belgian Galaxy's that are due to release at the end of july. She actutally says the phone she reviewed has this new firmware and it doesn'nt have any stalling problems. Good news!

She reviews phones by the way, gets samples sent by manufactures to review, so she knows what she's talking about. Maybe someone can get here to post that firmware here...

And could people please call it the /dbdata folder or /data folder if your talking about it, and don't call it NAND. Why? It's just one big chip of MoviNAND that is soldered in the phone, so all the memory we speak of is NAND. It's just partioned in different chunks.

Full morherboard: http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/...assembly-12.jpg

Zoomed in on the flash/NAND memory: http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/...assembly-14.jpg

Edited by mbr01

Guest IBTECH

Just wondering if anyone here is running the XXJF7 firmware and still has the lag?

Or are we all running XXJFB or XXJF5?

Please state your firmware version you are running if you are experiencing this issue.

Guest bambibio
Just wondering if anyone here is running the XXJF7 firmware and still has the lag?

Or are we all running XXJFB or XXJF5?

Please state your firmware version you are running if you are experiencing this issue.

XXJFB a.k.a XXJF5 is newer than JF7.

Guest IBTECH
XXJFB a.k.a XXJF5 is newer than JF7.

not so sure about this. Just because someone said it on the Samsung firmware forums does not make true. Regardless i am trying to see if this is happening on a certain firmware or on all of them.

Guest bambibio

Mmkay.

Well I had minor stall issues on XXJF3, but I'm running MoDaCo R1 now and FWIW has no stall issues with the stall-fix.

Guest droidz

hi guys,

I did a du on /data/data and another du on its backup in /sdcard/downloads, but the size of both are different...which one should i trust? :lol:

Edited by droidz

Guest zenkinz

I have created a script that will only move the core folders (com.android and com.sec.android) to the /dbdata folder. This will ensure new third party apps able to install w/o worrying about the disk space constraint.

beware this script assume you have not done the stall patch yet (i.e. all the folders are still in /data/data). if you have already done that, make sure you reverse the origianl patch before applying this script.

patch.zip

Edited by zenkinz

Guest zenkinz
And could people please call it the /dbdata folder or /data folder if your talking about it, and don't call it NAND. Why? It's just one big chip of MoviNAND that is soldered in the phone, so all the memory we speak of is NAND. It's just partioned in different chunks.

Zoomed in on the flash/NAND memory: http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/...assembly-14.jpg

Thanks, this really clears it up. I have always confused when people keep saying moving the files to the NAND when it's already in it. I think it might be the way how the data/data partition is being created on the same physical NAND chip, as compared to /dbdata

Guest KUNG_C
I have created a script that will only move the core folders (com.android and com.sec.android) to the /dbdata folder. This will ensure new third party apps able to install w/o worrying about the disk space constraint.

beware this script assume you have not done the stall patch yet (i.e. all the folders are still in /data/data). if you have already done that, make sure you reverse the origianl patch before applying this script.

Thx, but how to use it? :lol:

Guest ObsceNeJesSter

What firmware version should we be looking for? The one Radio Girl was talking about that supposedly fixed the lag issue.

Guest oxylos

Thanks for the work! Is there maybe any busybox command needed to start or inside the script?

Guest vaioboy

Hi everybody

I partitioned my SD card to a FAT32 and a EXT2 partition. But I don't know how to:

- mount the ext2 partition. What command should I use? (It's positioned on /dev/block/vold/179:10)

- mount the ext2 partition on startup.... init.d seems not presented and I don't know any alternative solution.

Thank you in advance.

Guest zenkinz
Thx, but how to use it? :)

my bad. unzip and copy the script to your device and then run it when you are at the /data/data directory.

e.g.

PC$adb push patch.sh /sdcard/patch.sh

PC$adb shell

$su

$cp /sdcard/patch.sh /data

$chmod 755 /data/patch.sh

$cd /data/data

$/data/patch.sh

that's all is needed.

Thanks for the work! Is there maybe any busybox command needed to start or inside the script?

it uses cp so you should have installed busybox first before running this script.

Edited by zenkinz

Guest rasp

im not sure this is entirely true because /data and /dbdata is not on the same stl device block... /dbdata is on /dev/block/stl10 while /data is on mmcblk

i can agree /system /cache /efs /dbdata is in one nand chip with different partitions but /data is way off on internal mmc flash memory.. if they are on the same NAND just different partitions, we wont hv this problem do we cos they will all be on the same speed

Edited by rasp

Guest vaioboy
im not sure this is entirely true because /data and /dbdata is not on the same stl device block... /dbdata is on /dev/block/stl10 while /data is on mmcblk

i can agree /system /cache /efs /dbdata is in one nand chip with different partitions but /data is way off on internal mmc flash memory.. if they are on the same NAND just different partitions, we wont hv this problem do we cos they will all be on the same speed

yes I agree with you. "/data" is actually a portion of internal SD. It's much slower than /dbdata /system /cache... which are located on NAND

Guest zenkinz

since physically there's only one nand chip, I would subscribe to the viewpoint that /dev/block/stl10 and /dev/block/mmcblk are all partitions of the same physical chip, maybe with different setting.

Guest KUNG_C
my bad. unzip and copy the script to your device and then run it when you are at the /data/data directory.

e.g.

PC$adb shell

$su

$chmod 755 /sdcard/patch.sh

$cd /data/data

$/sdcard/patch.sh

that's all is needed.

it uses cp so you should have installed busybox first before running this script.

but it shows

/sdcard/patch.sh: permission denied

Guest rasp
since physically there's only one nand chip, I would subscribe to the viewpoint that /dev/block/stl10 and /dev/block/mmcblk are all partitions of the same physical chip, maybe with different setting.

ok, lets take a closer look:

179 0 16056320 mmcblk0

179 1 14090208 mmcblk0p1

179 2 1966080 mmcblk0p2

Looking at the stripped galaxy s photos and from samsung website:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/sem...s_MoviNAND.html

16GB KLMAG8DEFD-A301 x8 1.7~1.95 2.7~3.6 Max. 52MHz 169FBGA 12x16 MMC4.3 MP <- closest to what we hv

now, we know where the 16GB moviNand coming from? /data and /sdcard

138 3 6400 stl3

138 6 1280 stl6

138 9 304640 stl9

138 10 111104 stl10

138 11 32000 stl11

the stl blocks add up to 455MB, so its another chip of probably 512MB in size?.. and its DEFINITELY faster, may it be NAND or NOR memory but not on the same moviNand with different partitions

Guest gravityz3r0

e.g.

PC$adb shell

$su

$chmod 755 /sdcard/patch.sh

$cd /data/data

$/sdcard/patch.sh

that's all is needed.

I get "Permission Denied" error at the final command /sdcard/patch.sh

Edited by gravityz3r0

Guest johoe
I get "Permission Denied" error at the final command /sdcard/patch.sh

copy patch.sh to /data/data, then do the chmod again, after that it should work...

johoe