22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ragflan
I just installed R3 as followed:

Install stock JG5 -> factory reset -> cleared cache -> installed modaco rom r3 -> run MCR scripts

All seems to work nicely but I'm getting superuser pop-ups all the time. It seems like superuser does not recognize its setting (yes i selected to remember).

Anyone know how to fix this?

select a type of notification in the super user app preferences. Theres a thread about this issue.

Guest gzero
select a type of notification in the super user app preferences. Theres a thread about this issue.

I found that thread but that's not a working solution for me. Even if i tick no pop up it will still show many pop ups. Maybe i should just to root it again. Maybe that fixes it.

EDIT: after rooting the issues disappeared.

Edited by gzero

Guest mirkor77
You don't put it on the external sdcard... you put it on the internal sdcard of the phone.. take the external card out to avoid confusion.

plug the phone into your pc, copy over the update.zip in explorer over to the phone, then try it.

Please help me.

I have the same problem but as my phone do not reboot properly I can't see the internal SD via mycomputer.

How can I copy the update.zip inside the phone??

Guest ragflan
Please help me.

I have the same problem but as my phone do not reboot properly I can't see the internal SD via mycomputer.

How can I copy the update.zip inside the phone??

Use Awesome Drop or WiFi Sharing app to copy files from the computer to your mobile. Make sure to place them in the root directory of your internal SD card.

If you have 2 sdcards, the internal sd card is at : /sdcard and the external card is at: /sdcard/sd

Guest ragflan
Use Awesome Drop or WiFi Sharing app to copy files from the computer to your mobile. Make sure to place them in the root directory of your internal SD card.

If you have 2 sdcards, the internal sd card is at : /sdcard and the external card is at: /sdcard/sd

Question to Paul or anyone capable of answering me. Samsung GS has almost 2GB for the ROM for installing apps. Today I ran into the Database storage low problem. I understand that with R3, as I read in previous posts, the lag fix that which is applied through MCR Scripts helps speed up the phone by using the NAND - which is much faster. The apps are still being installed to the ROM but only the data is going into the /dbdata which is what is full and giving me the database storage low notification. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

My question is: Is the lag fix temporary, or is it a permanent flaw of the phone that needs to be addressed with each new ROM flashed? Meaning, even with Froyo, does lag fix need to be applied?

Related question: Why do Android phone manufacturers insist on making phones with no inbuilt memory and when they do have it, they use some crappy internal sd card? I feel like we're being shortchanged when it comes to hardware. Any reasons for manufacturers not building solid storage options into the phones like Apple do?

I thank anyone for answering me.

Guest X-pro

flashed with 512 pit and repartition

New samsung navigator but only with russian maps and 30 day licence.

A russian app I can't id but think it's some kind of market

Seems more responsive than jm2.

Languages all there. "those which normally are included"

Thanks for the tip BomG

Edited by X-pro

Guest seraphine

Ahh after trying every firmware all the way till JP3/2.2 I've come back to your ROM Paul. Fast, stable, reliable.

Thanks for the effort mate. I'm gonna have to make a donation at this rate...

Guest masi0
Ahh after trying every firmware all the way till JP3/2.2 I've come back to your ROM Paul. Fast, stable, reliable.

Thanks for the effort mate. I'm gonna have to make a donation at this rate...

This is because Paul is not experimenting with its firmwares nor making a wish list from it as well :)

Been using MCR in Desire and found them most stable. Now waiting for new release for Galaxy :D

Guest seraphine

I have a question -- after having used the LagFix script, what is the proper way to un-LagFix it?

I've seen a few solutions to this, mostly moving the dbdata back, but I am not sure since there's more than one lag fix...

Guest DistortedLoop
I have a question -- after having used the LagFix script, what is the proper way to un-LagFix it?

I've seen a few solutions to this, mostly moving the dbdata back, but I am not sure since there's more than one lag fix...

open the lag fix script (it's in the ASE folder on your sdcard I believe) and you should be able to figure out which method you've read that applies to that particular script. You basically want to reverse flow the steps used to make the fix in the first place, something along the lines of break the symlink, then mv the data back to where it belongs.

Guest seraphine

Looking at the script, it appears to be the same as mimocan's fix, except using internal memory instead of external memory card?

open the lag fix script (it's in the ASE folder on your sdcard I believe) and you should be able to figure out which method you've read that applies to that particular script. You basically want to reverse flow the steps used to make the fix in the first place, something along the lines of break the symlink, then mv the data back to where it belongs.

Guest dimitris_gr
Haven't noticed anybody wondering about the language, but i bet my phone will turn into an English one, .. ?

can we find the HTC_IME MOD for galaxy?

thanks

Guest DistortedLoop
Looking at the script, it appears to be the same as mimocan's fix, except using internal memory instead of external memory card?

Yes, that's my understanding of what Paul does to fix lag with his script. Just reverse the steps *should* work. You could check the mimocan thread for where I laid them out step by step to undo his fix if you want a little bit of a guide. If Paul does the same thing (that is to say that Mimocan did the same as Paul, only with ext instead of nand) then the steps should work just by substituting the appropriate dir and symlink names. I haven't tried this, obviously. I'd have a good nandroid backup in place before monkeying with it...

Guest Mitty

Using this rom atm with LauncherProPlus and I have to say its amazing no lag, stalls or anything its just beautiful and shows what this phone is really capable of without touchwizz and saumsungs s*** on it.

Guest unfitguy

Hi All

Been a long time Android user and used of flashing via update zip, I have stock uk Rom and have downloaded JG5 and my PreBake. Is there a guide on how to install JG5 I keep seeing the phrase Odin but have no idea, if someone could help that would be great.

Guest ragflan
Hy my name is lucan. i have a samsung i9000 galaxy s.

my question is: my device must be rooted to instal Your custom rom?

No. the rom will give you root access. But you need to be on jg5 firmware.

Guest unfitguy
No. the rom will give you root access. But you need to be on jg5 firmware.

I've downloaded JG5 from the first page any idea how do I install it?