sense reboot in modaco r5

Guest toxic-hero

Same problem here. Not FC, but Sense is restarting whenever I return from almost any program. Same is true for other apps, but this is the most annoying one. Having the browser restart on every occasion is annoying, but having to wait for the launcher all the time is rendering the phone almost useless :-/ Any hints on how to improve this are most welcome.

Applying the 'Teknologist' kernel seems to have removed or at least vastly reduced the frequency this behaviour! Will report results after testing a few days.

Guest toxic-hero
Same problem here. Not FC, but Sense is restarting whenever I return from almost any program. Same is true for other apps, but this is the most annoying one. Having the browser restart on every occasion is annoying, but having to wait for the launcher all the time is rendering the phone almost useless :-/ Any hints on how to improve this are most welcome.

sense restart and FC's of other applications may not be the same issue. many people here (including me) are experiencing sense restarts but not a single FC of browser or other apps...

in the case of other applications wipe and reflash could probably help.

sense restart and FC's of other applications may not be the same issue. many people here (including me) are experiencing sense restarts but not a single FC of browser or other apps...

in the case of other applications wipe and reflash could probably help.

Sorry if I was unclear: I'm not seeing any (almost) FC's, but since installing r5 Sense has been restarting ever so often. This is the main problem. However, apart from Sense restarting, which really shouldn't happen, my impression is that other apps are closed by android more often than before. That leaves me with the impression is that the android system is much more greedy than before when it comes to closing apps, which also affects Sense. I have wiped and reflashed, several times. (Without wipe, Sense would constantly FC, about once every 2-3 seconds. Much less useful that way :angry:)

Installing the kernel mentioned above seems to have helped a little, but does not solve the problem.

Guest Dr Hotdog

I think popq is right, seems the Android 2.1 system is taking up more RAM than 1.5 did, which means less space for apps, which means important background apps (like Sense) are getting killed much more often. Maybe HTC did have a good reason for all the delays to the Hero update afterall...

One thing I have done that has reduced the frequency of Sense restarts considerably was to remove a few of the apps I had running as a service. When I looked in the Astro process manager I noticed there were several apps I rarely used that started on boot and ran as services (e.g. Autodis), and each of these services was using about 15 MB of RAM. As far as Android's built in process killer is concerned services have higher priority than other background apps and so this would definitely have been contributing to Sense restarts. After uninstalling/disabling the services I didn't really need there was a noticeable improvement, though I still get the occasional Sense restart when the phone is under resources stress (installing a big bunch of app updates from the market pretty much guarantees it, for example).

I'm also using the Teknologist kernel now but I'd already gotten a big improvement from just pruning services down to the ones I really needed first.

Guest theFRAGGLE

The restart of Sense happened to me several times a day. Mostly after using the Market (which restarts, too).

After updating the new kernel AND removing some widgets and background processes everything is smooth now.

No sense restart in the last two days...

Guest Eddie1506

I've had problems with Sense restarting three or four times a day. No FC, just shuts down and restarts. I've read on some forums that Sense music app can be the cause of it if the SD card is somehow corrupted.

So I took out my SD card, copied all data from it, did a full format, restored data and not a single restart since then.

PS. Not using A2SD.

Guest toxic-hero
I've had problems with Sense restarting three or four times a day. No FC, just shuts down and restarts. I've read on some forums that Sense music app can be the cause of it if the SD card is somehow corrupted.

So I took out my SD card, copied all data from it, did a full format, restored data and not a single restart since then.

PS. Not using A2SD.

interesting! how long has it been since you've done that (how many days without a sense reboot)?

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest mmorselli

Same issue here, but on latest R4 (it's so stable and fast, why upgrade ? I have done a lot of system personalizations :( )

not particularly annoying, I allways think that Android have killed Sense to free some memory and boost application I use in foreground :(

It occours no more than two or three times a day

Guest toxic-hero
5 days now at least.

hey, this looks promising!!! i also reformated my sd card yesterday and haven't had a sense reboot since...

Guest Skyr (ger)

*sigh* Same problem here: Sense UI occasionally restarts, apps disappear without warning (or force close notification).

A file system check of the sd card revealed some problems (differences in boot sector), but fixing them didn't resolve the problem. The Teknologist made the situation worse (magical movement of the trackball to the right).

Any ideas? Any way to narrow down the problem?

Guest toxic-hero
*sigh* Same problem here: Sense UI occasionally restarts, apps disappear without warning (or force close notification).

A file system check of the sd card revealed some problems (differences in boot sector), but fixing them didn't resolve the problem. The Teknologist made the situation worse (magical movement of the trackball to the right).

Any ideas? Any way to narrow down the problem?

reformating SD card is our latest hope...

Guest Skyr (ger)
Did you only format the FAT32 partition or the complete card?

I just fixed the problems using fsck.vfat. I have no MicroSD adaptor, and I didn't dare (yet) doing that using the phone as card reader... I'll try that tonight (using nandroid to make the sd card accessible).

Guest toxic-hero
5 days now at least.

not working for me. i had a few reboots yesterday... :-(

anyone else tried?

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest Skyr (ger)
I just fixed the problems using fsck.vfat. I have no MicroSD adaptor, and I didn't dare (yet) doing that using the phone as card reader... I'll try that tonight (using nandroid to make the sd card accessible).

Ok... no good news. Reformatted the SD card - no effect. Tried another ROM (VillainROM12) - same problem, the symtom of disappearing apps ist not limited to MoDaCo. I replaced the Rosie/Sense with Zeam... haven't experienced a single restart of Zeam, but other apps (I'm using Seesmic and FRITZ!App a lot, so I'm experiencing the problems most of the time with them) still disappear even while running (especially annoying while phoning or typing a tweet). Installed Autokiller and tried different settings - no success either.

I'm slowly running out of ideas...

Guest Skyr (ger)

I just managed to capture the log output of a Seesmic "crash". The crash happens at 10:09:13:

07-29 10:09:08.835 W/InputManagerService(  754): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4525b0e8
07-29 10:09:08.845 D/AK8973 ( 728): Compass Start
07-29 10:09:09.215 I/ActivityManager( 754): Start proc com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor for broadcast com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor/.StartupReceiver: pid=4469 uid=10095 gids={3003}
07-29 10:09:13.455 W/ActivityManager( 754): Invalid packageName: com.imdb.mobile
07-29 10:09:13.465 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process com.htc.htctwitter
07-29 10:09:13.465 D/ActivityManager( 754): Force removing process ProcessRecord{45367818 4227:com.htc.bgp/10007} (com.htc.bgp/10007)
07-29 10:09:13.465 W/ActivityManager( 754): Scheduling restart of crashed service com.htc.htclocationservice/.AutoSettingService in 5000ms
07-29 10:09:13.485 I/Process ( 754): Sending signal. PID: 4227 SIG: 9
07-29 10:09:13.535 W/ActivityManager( 754): Invalid packageName: com.wsandroid
07-29 10:09:13.545 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process com.google.android.apps.maps
07-29 10:09:13.565 W/ContentService( 754): binderDied() at ObserverNode name footprint
07-29 10:09:13.565 D/ActivityManager( 754): Received spurious death notification for thread android.os.BinderProxy@453685e0
07-29 10:09:13.565 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process com.htc.socialnetwork.facebook
07-29 10:09:13.575 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process tv.studer.smssync
07-29 10:09:13.585 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process com.seesmic
07-29 10:09:13.585 D/ActivityManager( 754): Force removing process ProcessRecord{44fc6228 4241:com.seesmic/10099} (com.seesmic/10099)
07-29 10:09:13.635 I/Process ( 754): Sending signal. PID: 4241 SIG: 9
07-29 10:09:13.645 E/ActivityManager( 754): fail to set top app changed!
07-29 10:09:13.665 D/Sensors ( 754): close_akm, fd=154
07-29 10:09:13.675 I/UsageStats( 754): Unexpected resume of org.zeam while already resumed in com.seesmic
07-29 10:09:13.705 W/dalvikvm( 754): disableGcForExternalAlloc: false
07-29 10:09:13.705 W/ContentService( 754): binderDied() at ObserverNode name 0
07-29 10:09:13.705 I/WindowManager( 754): WIN DEATH: Window{44ff3018 com.seesmic/com.seesmic.ui.Space paused=false}
07-29 10:09:13.725 D/ActivityManager( 754): Received spurious death notification for thread android.os.BinderProxy@452c7e10
07-29 10:09:13.735 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process com.htc.music
07-29 10:09:13.805 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process de.avm.android.fritzapp
07-29 10:09:13.815 D/ActivityManager( 754): Uninstalling process com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor
07-29 10:09:13.825 D/ActivityManager( 754): Force removing process ProcessRecord{451f1228 4469:com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor/10095} (com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor/10095)
07-29 10:09:13.825 I/Process ( 754): Sending signal. PID: 4469 SIG: 9
07-29 10:09:13.855 D/ActivityManager( 754): Received spurious death notification for thread android.os.BinderProxy@452f7348
07-29 10:09:13.985 W/InputManagerService( 754): Got RemoteException sending setActive(false) notification to pid 4241 uid 10099
07-29 10:09:14.355 D/AK8973 ( 728): Compass CLOSE
07-29 10:09:18.485 I/ActivityManager( 754): Start proc com.htc.bgp for service com.htc.htclocationservice/.AutoSettingService: pid=4475 uid=10007 gids={3003, 1006, 1015, 2001}
07-29 10:09:18.645 I/ActivityThread( 4475): Publishing provider com.htc.dcs.provider.utility: com.htc.dcs.service.utility.UtilityProvider
07-29 10:09:18.665 I/ActivityThread( 4475): Publishing provider com.htc.htctwitter.Users: com.htc.htctwitter.FriendProvider
[/codebox]

The PIDs being killed (4227, 4241, 4469) were:

[code]07-29 10:07:02.865 I/ActivityManager( 754): Start proc com.htc.bgp for service com.htc.htclocationservice/.AutoSettingService: pid=4227 uid=10007 gids={3003, 1006, 1015, 2001} 07-29 10:07:14.735 I/ActivityManager( 754): Start proc com.seesmic for activity com.seesmic/.ui.Welcome: pid=4241 uid=10099 gids={3003, 1015} 07-29 10:09:09.215 I/ActivityManager( 754): Start proc com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor for broadcast com.vesperaNovus.app.StartupAuditor/.StartupReceiver: pid=4469 uid=10095 gids={3003}[/code]

Any ideas, anyone?

Guest ndall

I was having this problem too. Have switched to VillainRom 12 for now. Surprisingly, it seems more stable and faster than MCR at the moment and doesn't suffer from this problem.

Guest Skyr (ger)
I was having this problem too. Have switched to VillainRom 12 for now. Surprisingly, it seems more stable and faster than MCR at the moment and doesn't suffer from this problem.

May I ask which Radio ROM you use?

I suspect it has something to do with the radio (or more specific: With WLAN). I don't remember experiencing any problems with networkless apps. I've been using the GSM phone app without problems, and I downloaded a couple of games without network privileges (man, not that easy, everyone's embedding ads) and have been toying around for more than half an hour without any problems. The applications where I experience most crashes are Rosie/Sense, Seesmic, and the FRITZ!Box phone app - all of them use an internet connection. My new launcher, on the other hand, has no network-enabled widgets enclosed, which would explain why it doesn't cause any more restarts.

Besides, when the crash occurs, I see both the FRITZ-app and Seesmic disappear at the same time.

Unfortunately, testing several Radio ROMs hasn't improved my situation yet :(

Guest Skyr (ger)

My mystery seems to be solved! The solution was *cough* embarrassingly simple. The culprit was the "Startup Auditor" app, which I reinstalled after all my ROM upgrades (hey, I paid for it, so I'll install it ;-) ). According to the logs it seems that the Startup Auditor was sporadically triggered - and obviously it killed a bit too much.

Guest toxic-hero
My mystery seems to be solved! The solution was *cough* embarrassingly simple. The culprit was the "Startup Auditor" app, which I reinstalled after all my ROM upgrades (hey, I paid for it, so I'll install it ;-) ). According to the logs it seems that the Startup Auditor was sporadically triggered - and obviously it killed a bit too much.

i don't use startup auditor or any similar app but i get sense reboots.

I've got the same issues - makes using the phone rather tiresome. Teknologist Kernel and Autokiller didnt change a thing. Will try the format thing when I've got time and report back the results.

Guest sionyboy

My girlfriend's Hero has the same problem on VillainRom 12, several times a day Sense will close and restart, which involes a lot of waiting around for the phone to become useable again. Most annoying. Not sure what to do about it, other than install either a generic Hero ROM or go for a vanilla 2.1 rom (any good ones out there?)

Guest milko9000

Even on Modaco, installing LauncherPro as default homescreen manager works really nicely. I guess I have some useless Sense stuff on the phone now but I don't notice it.

Guest trigrou
Even on Modaco, installing LauncherPro as default homescreen manager works really nicely. I guess I have some useless Sense stuff on the phone now but I don't notice it.

I have started to use this instead of sense and it seems a lot more responsive, I will give feedback in few days. Just for information I have installed the kernel mentioned in previous post, it did not change my user experience. I have hope now with LauncherPro.

Wait and see