UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest mimocan

I have made a custom kernel to mount an ext3 partition on the sdcard at the boot time.

to be able to use it:

-- you need an external sdcard: partitioned as follows:

- partition 1 (fat32) / for your storage needs

- partition 2 (ext3) / for program database

This implies that instead of making a symlink to the /dbdata directory, you will make a symlink to the ext3 partition on the sdcard.

Advantages:

-- you have the freedom of creating that partition for your needs.It is reported that you have market download problems if you make it too big, ie larger than 2gb. ( mine is 1gb)

-- after applying the lag fix posted on the forum I still had that lagging after a while, but now my phone is flying

If I am allowed to post it here I will do that. Maybe Paul can shine on this.

And here it is:

Prerequisites:

-- an external sd card partitioned in 2

-- the ext3 partition must be the 2nd one, otherwise this won't work, so Partition 1 ishould be fat32, and partition 2 ext3

-- use gparted or paragon hard disk manager to make the partitions and format them (just google how to do this)

How to:

-- download the tar file attached to this post, this includes the modified kernel which supports ext3 and automounts the ext3 partition when you restart your phone

-- put the phone in download mode, just like updating the firmware

-- fire up Odin and attach the phone to the USB

-- choose only the PDA section and put the downloaded tar into there ( do NOT choose repartition or something else otherwise you will use settings)

-- it should finish within 5 seconds and wait till the phone is booted

when booted (assuming you already have busybox)

adb shell

su -

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox mv /data/data /data/data.bak

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/data

to fix market issues:

busybox mv /system/media /disk/

busybox ln -s /disk/media /system/media

reboot

when booted you should see your 2nd partition of your external sdcard is mounted on /disk and your program database in residing in it.

If you do it like this you won't loose any personal data or settings.

Remember this does not depend on any specific firmware, so you are free to try it to on any firmware

If you want to try out the kernel with ext4 support I have attached it below. The same steps should be taken to mount the 2nd partition as ext4, but create the partition as ext4.

My personal experience and benchmark results are showing ext4 is faster than ext3. But ext3 is there for many years and ext4 is stable stated from kernel versions 2.6.3x.

Download v3:

http://www.multiupload.com/5QAVQBU6GB

Download v4 (ext4) support:

http://www.multiupload.com/Z8TGXRRNCS

gr, Mimo from Holland

Edited by mimocan

Guest bratfink

If you upload it to multi-upload you could just put the link up. I look forward to downloading it. Could you also post instructions of exactly how to do so... damn these things would be so much easier with an decent recovery image on our devices....... anyone care to make one :)?

Guest aeo087
I have made a custom kernel to mount an ext3 partition on the sdcard at the boot time.

to be able to use it:

-- you need an external sdcard: partitioned as follows:

- partition 1 (fat32) / for your storage needs

- partition 2 (ext3) / for program database

This implies that instead of making a symlink to the /dbdata directory, you will make a symlink to the ext3 partition on the sdcard.

Advantages:

-- you have the freedom of creating that partition for your needs ( mine is 1gb)

-- after applying the lag fix posted on the forum I still had that lagging after a while, but now my phone is flying

If I am allowed to post it here I will do that. Maybe Paul can shine on this.

gr, Mimo from Holland

This sounds very interesting. Please share when you can so we can test this out; if this is works that means buying a fast SD-card would directly benefit your phone's speed!! :) That would make it worth the investment....

I do have some questions, however:

How is this different to what Samsung did having the data in a partition of the internal SD card?

Aren't the lags more related to access-times than memory speed?

Guest Kilack

What kind of card did you use? class 6? class 10?

and maybe paul can add this into the kitchen if it indeed works :)

Edited by Kilack

Guest Kahnmao
What kind of card did you use? class 6? class 10?

and maybe paul can add this into the kitchen if it indeed works :)

need edit init.rc when bootting auto mount sdcard\sd\ P2(ext3)

(but it wil restore at next reboot )

so...can't do that

Guest mimocan
need edit init.rc when bootting auto mount sdcard\sd\ P2(ext3)

(but it wil restore at next reboot )

so...can't do that

This is why I made my own custom kernel to ensure it gets mounted when you reboot.

Guest speedofheat

Looks very promising. Thanks a ton mimocan.

Too bad I need to root my phone for this. I flashed my first firmware yesterday from that sammy FW site but am still too chicken to try rooting my beauty. :)

Guest mimocan
Looks very promising. Thanks a ton mimocan.

Too bad I need to root my phone for this. I flashed my first firmware yesterday from that sammy FW site but am still too chicken to try rooting my beauty. :D

you don't need to root your phone to do this, rooting is already provided in the kernel :) but you need to have the busybox tools...

Edited by mimocan

you don't need to root your phone to do this, rooting is already provided in the kernel :) but you need to have the busybox tools...

a few questions:

1) is this based off first source code or later source code posted recently?

2) planning to expand the work to include custom kernel mods? like OC/UV stuff?

3) can you provide rooted adb?

Edited by rasp

Guest torsten2010

Runs really smooth. But i get when i want to install something from market the error "not enough space for the installation". can reproduce this on 2 mobiles.

Guest speedofheat

Thanks.

Now to install busybox.

Guest Bizzie

Sounds like a great solution, but what will happen when you connect the Galaxy to USB ? Normally the internal and external SD will be dismounted for USB access. Isn't that a problem?

Edited by Bizzie

Guest torsten2010

So testet now on 3 phones. There is definttily a bug with this fix & market-you get a error not enough space for isntallation and it won't install any app.

The Problem i think is the write permision on /disk

if you compare this to the /data/data permissions.

Edited by torsten2010

Guest mimocan
So testet now on 3 phones. There is definttily a bug with this fix & market-you get a error not enough space for isntallation and it won't install any app.

Ok.

I think I know what the problem is. There is not enough room in the /system partition.

we will make some room there, here it goes:

adb shell

su -

mount -o remount,rw rootfs /

mv /system/media /disk

ln -s /disk/media /system/media

this should fix the bug.

did you try to move /data/data/com.android.vending out from ext3 to mmcblkp02?

Guest oxylos

What firmware version is the kernel based on or it is independent?

Do you have to rebuild the kernel every new firmware is released?

Guest dherrero

I ve installed this fix and all works very smooth. No problems with market. My system directory has 220 MB free.

ThanksĀ”

Dani

Guest kanzlr
I ve installed this fix and all works very smooth. No problems with market. My system directory has 220 MB free.

ThanksĀ”

Dani

you do see protected apps like Zenonia full, etc?

Guest dherrero
you do see protected apps like Zenonia full, etc?

mmm, I think I see the same as before. Dont really know how a change in partitions could modify this behaviour. I guess the file build.prop is the one you ve to modify to see all the aps...

Dani

Guest Kilack

ThanksĀ”

Dani

What class card are you using?

Guest Kilack
Sounds like a great solution, but what will happen when you connect the Galaxy to USB ? Normally the internal and external SD will be dismounted for USB access. Isn't that a problem?

A very good question, I connect the phone quite regularly.. is this going to cause problems?