UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest Daniel.z
hmmm going thru the responses here regarding Quadrant, I wonder if there is some bug in the benching routines, especially the i/o parts.

Does real world usages really reflect the speediness? espeically after using it for a while and not just after a fresh reboot. Beware of placebo effects too :angry:

Not to pour cold water...if it's true, it's really something to be happy about :D

Certainly!

The phone is very fast

especially in navigation menus and opening apps.

Sometimes some apps late to open but seems nota a phone problem

Guest NeidRider
to fix market issues:

busybox mv /system/media /disk/

busybox ln -s /disk/media /system/media

reboot

btw, there seems to be something wrong with this (perhaps it's been noted before, but I haven't read the whole thread just for this):

The mv fails, because it's a cross-filesystem move, so you have to do:

busybox cp -rp /system/media /disk/

busybox mv /system/media /system/media.bak

reboot

Right? => if so, please fix the instructions in the first post.

Edited by NeidRider

Guest Kilack

I also think the first post should contain the exact commands to reverse the procedure and move everything back to originally how it is..

Guest Kilack
hmmm going thru the responses here regarding Quadrant, I wonder if there is some bug in the benching routines, especially the i/o parts.

Does real world usages really reflect the speediness? espeically after using it for a while and not just after a fresh reboot. Beware of placebo effects too :angry:

Not to pour cold water...if it's true, it's really something to be happy about :D

Yeah I have to wonder if these scores from quadrant are meaningful at all if after it takes 10 minutes to get through a I/O test that normally takes seconds its still giving scores out of 1600+

seems a bit crazy...

If the lag in the phones is caused by I/O which we assume it is because all the work we are doing is trying to speed I/O up and if quadrant is taking ages on the i/o tests then its a bit worrying..

Is it a case of cheap & nasty SD cards causing issues?

We need some real i/o benchmarks instead of this one score from quadrant that covers everything that really obviously isn't giving very reliable information back....

and yes, everyone does their quandrant test straight after a reboot im sure cause they want to post a big score.... where as usually the lag and black screens creep in after a day of useage etc...

Edited by Kilack

Guest Fredrich
Yeah I have to wonder if these scores from quadrant are meaningful at all if after it takes 10 minutes to get through a I/O test that normally takes seconds its still giving scores out of 1600+

seems a bit crazy...

If the lag in the phones is caused by I/O which we assume it is because all the work we are doing is trying to speed I/O up and if quadrant is taking ages on the i/o tests then its a bit worrying..

We need some real i/o benchmarks instead of this one score from quadrant that covers everything that really obviously isn't giving very reliable information back....

and yes, everyone does their quandrant test straight after a reboot im sure cause they want to post a big score.... where as usually the lag and black screens creep in after a day of useage etc...

Why don't we use Softweg Benchmark and look at the total file system score? I have very random results there, ranging from below 100 up to 290. Before the fix I had maximum 230 so there is definitely a I/O speed up albeit a bit random.

Guest FerdiBorbon

bleh even if the benchmarks are close to double of stock G5, honestly the speed still feels the same... nothing too amazing in my experience...

maybe the high benchies are making our minds think it is faster :/

Guest amir_rafie
That's so crazy *g*

i think i've made a new highscore:

post-336755-1279245286_thumb.jpg

The system isn't a clean installation and could be much higher...

It's a very cheap SanDisk 8GB Class2 SDHC with a 1,5GB EXT4 partition.

This device is the best and fastest one, that i have ever seen before.

Thank you Samsung for this great device!

Thank you mimocan, for this great kernel-patch

I think that we can break the 2000 points with Froyo (Android 2.2)

seems a bit crazy...

Androidandme take a benchmark with quadrant pro that isn`t in the market now, they download it from SlideME

this is the result of memory test:

quadrant-pro-memory-510x237.png

and this is the result of I/O test:

quadrant-pro-io-510x196.png

and they said that if we do a lag fix with the hint of this topic , the result of I/O test is far better ,

this version of quadrant has many differece from the current quadrant that you use , just see the result of I/O test for Droid X , in previous version of the result is about 1200 but now it is about 3000 !

Guest AndyCr15
I also think the first post should contain the exact commands to reverse the procedure and move everything back to originally how it is..

I agree. I'm getting some strange things happen now. E-mail is force closing, as does Tapatalk. Foursquare wont let me log in and JuiceDefender wants to run setup each time I open it...

Hmm, I just rebooted and everything's fine. I've rebooted after I did this fix already though. Oh well, works for now I guess!

Guest DistortedLoop
I cant find any partitioning SW that I understand. That Gpart stuff makes no sense and the free version of Paragon doesnt let you apply the changes. I guess will wait till there is a more simple way to do it.

Did you try the gparted live cd with a graphical interface? Not to be mean, but if you can't figure that one out, you probably shouldn't be messing with this. Just size the current partition's bar with the slider, then add a partition (ext4) at the free space at the end. ;-)

Here's a

that demonstrates using the app, but not precisely what you want to do. When the dude in the vide makes the second partition he makes it extended, you want to make it primary and ext4.

VERY EASY to use and doesn't even destroy your data on the drive (but I'd still back up). even works with VMware on a mac if you point the virtual machine to the iso file for installation.

Guest tanzhjoash
Does anybody else see an increase in battery consumption after this fix?

YES... the battery consumption has been really really bad.. like 1 percent every 5 mins of normal use.

but then again, its just my first few hours since applied the fix. Shall see how it turns out after everything "stabilises" if that even makes sense

Guest DistortedLoop
It was charging, but the battery display just didn't work because the data was on the sd card instead of phone's own memory. After re-flashing JG5 back it was working again like it used to be.

Small price to pay for the massive speed improvements this seems to provide! As long as the battery actually charges I can live without the big pretty battery icon on the screen. :D

Any word on sideeffects with the increased read/write access to the microSD? There have been reports of failing cards with Apps2SD, and we're doing something similar here, aren't we?

I'm really dubious about those reports unless they were using cheap cards. How long after using apps2sd are they failing? The internal memory on our phones is basically the same technology as the sdcard isn't it? Seems phones would be failing if this were a real problem.

Reads should never decrease the life of an sdcard, and if I remember articles I've read correctly, it takes a crapload of writes to start wearing out flash memory.

It's still a valid question, though.

For me, sdcards are cheap enough, even a Class 6, that I wouldn't mind replacing it every year or two if necessary, but that's a moot point for me in terms of this "fix"; I doubt I'll keep the Galaxy S long enough to worry about this - there'll be some hot new superphone out in the next 6 or 8 months that will have enough drool factor

Definitely NOT the placebo effect here. 24 hours after applying this fix and my phone still flying…not a single slowdown or black screen. Granted I am on JG5 and maybe Samsung fixed it, not this hack, but on JG1 I'd see random slowdowns throughout the day.

Hmmm…i just ran Quadrant on my phone and got 1457, which is the 2nd highest of the four scores I've gotten on the phone. My phone has not been re-booted since I installed the fix 24 hours ago. The phone got heavy use yesterday with tons of market app installs and updates applied, podcasts downloaded and played, ADW launcher installed and configured, emails read and sent, wallpapers changed, google voice messages sent and received, phone calls made, music app used, web pages browsed, etc. Hardly a benchmark ran on a fresh booted system! ;)

bleh even if the benchmarks are close to double of stock G5, honestly the speed still feels the same... nothing too amazing in my experience...

maybe the high benchies are making our minds think it is faster :/

Oh, I disagree very much. The phone has not stalled, black screened or taken anything but the blink of an eye to open my apps since yesterday's application of the fix. There is definitely something good going on here with my phone.

Guest DistortedLoop

[

Good idea. Maybe you should write them. :angry:

I agree instructions to undo would be nice, but on the other hand, if you're doing this kind of stuff you really ought to have some idea of what you're doing, and if you understand what you're doing, shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to undo. Break out the Google and brush up on mv and symlinks in linux commands to see what to do. Basically you want to break the symlink, then mv the database back to the original location.

The following should work, but I haven't tried it and I am far from a command line expert, follow my lead here at your own peril:

adb shell

su

busybox rm /data/data

busybox cp -rp /disk/data /data/

busybox rm /data/data.bak

busybox rm -r /disk/data

The first command puts you into the command line on the phone.

the second line gives you root access

the third line removes the soft symlink that we created in the original instructions

the fourth line copies the stuff from your ext partition back to the phone

the fifth line deletes the backup of your original data partition you made

the sixth line deltes the data partition on your ext partition - this is optional step and BE SURE your cp in line four was successful first.

We could alternately just mv the /data/data.bak back to /data (busybox mv /data/data.bak /data/data) after removing the symlink, but that would put your /data/data folder back to where it was before you started, so any app changes you made while residing on ext partition would be lost.

Use the same procedures to undo the market fix stuff.

If I wanted to undo the fix, I'd certainly try this myself, but no reason to mess around with a good thing.

Hopefully someone with better command line skills than I have will give this the thumbs up or down.

reason for edit: added the rm-r step to delete the no longer used /data folder on the ext partition.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest truemagic

Sorry to ask some noob questions.

Because I had already created partition fat32 and ext4 (1Gb) in my transcend 8gb class 6 sdcard.

Then power off my phone and inserted the sdcard.

I started my phone in download mode, flash the kernel patch V4 (ext4) with ODIN (only use PDA)

after it rebooted, I applied these commands:

adb shell

su -

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox mv /data/data /data/data.bak

busybox ln -s /disk/data /data/data

everything "seems" ok although there are some lags, until a reboot then my phone just don't wake up! (black screen).

Then I use "adb logcat" to check what happens, eventually all the data could not be created under /data/data (which is /disk ?)

Can you tell me whether I did the installation steps wrongly???

Pls help I really want to try this..............Thanks!!!

Edited by truemagic

Guest Sincci
Sorry to ask some noob questions.

Because I had already created partition fat32 and ext4 (1Gb) in my transcend 8gb class 6 sdcard.

Then power off my phone and inserted the sdcard.

I started my phone in download mode, flash the kernel patch V4 (ext4) with ODIN (only use PDA)

after it rebooted, I applied these commands:

adb shell

su

busybox rm /data/data

busybox cp -rp /disk/data /data/

busybox rm /data/data.bak

everything "seems" ok although there are some lags, until a reboot then my phone just don't wake up! (black screen).

Then I use "adb logcat" to check what happens, eventually all the data could not be created under /data/data (which is /disk ?)

Can you tell me whether I did the installation steps wrongly???

Pls help I really want to try this..............Thanks!!!

Yes, you did.

Here are the correct commands:

The first one copies data from your /data/data folder into sd card, the second creates a backup of it in case you'll need to revert the changes and the third links the /disk/data folder into /data/data so that the files can be found by the OS.

Really don't understand why you deleted the /data/data folder and the backup and copied /disk/data into /data. Of course it won't boot after that since you just nuked the whole folder.

Guest kalpik
to fix market issues:

busybox mv /system/media /disk/

reboot

What Market issue is this supposed to fix? I haven't done this and everything seems to work fine!

Guest truemagic
Yes, you did.

Here are the correct commands:

The first one copies data from your /data/data folder into sd card, the second creates a backup of it in case you'll need to revert the changes and the third links the /disk/data folder into /data/data so that the files can be found by the OS.

Really don't understand why you deleted the /data/data folder and the backup and copied /disk/data into /data. Of course it won't boot after that since you just nuked the whole folder.

OOPS....sorry I meant I did this (copied the wrong steps)

adb shell

su -

edited my msg above to avoid confusion.....I did follow the first post here:D

Guest nop56773
What Market issue is this supposed to fix? I haven't done this and everything seems to work fine!

I would also like to know which is this bug.

Also, i've run the benchmark and only get around 1060 points. Also, when I run the other benchmark, I get very fast write times like this (i have a 16gb class 2 sdcard):

samsung GT-I9000 Samsung/GT-I9000/GT-I9000/GT-I9000:2.1-update1/ECLAIR/XWJFB:user/release-keys

Processor ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l) Linux BogoMIPS 797.90

Memory RAM 333796 Memory SWAP 0

Graphics

Total graphics score 30.982.748

Draw opacity bitmap 9.433.441

Draw transparent bitmap 9.516.728

CPU Whetstone

Total CPU score 7.655.361

MWIPS DP 56.915.195

MWIPS SP 60.096.157

MFLOPS DP 7.329.522

MFLOPS SP 9.219.621

VAX MIPS DP 39.484.966

VAX MIPS SP 39.659.855

Memory

Total memory score 635.026

Copy memory 57.703.406

Filesystem

Total file system score 17.380.739

Creating 1000 empty files 0.557

Deleting 1000 empty files 0.316

Write 1M into file 3.717.472

Read 1M from file 312.5

SD card perfomance

Creating 250 empty files 9.404

Deleting 250 empty files 10.66

Write 1M into file 2.967.359

Read 1M from file 29.411.765

I know the release shows JFB, but I think that's due to the market enable patch. I'm supposed to be running everything from JG5.

Guest Bizzie

We move the Media dir because off the /system partition which can be running low on space. So you can't download anything when the /system partition is full. With the Media moved to the external SD card you get an aditional ~25 MB of extra space which is enough for Market to function properly.

Guest kalpik
We move the Media dir because off the /system partition which can be running low on space. So you can't download anything when the /system partition is full. With the Media moved to the external SD card you get an aditional ~25 MB of extra space which is enough for Market to function properly.

Ok.. So should this be done always? Or only if I'm facing issues with market?

Guest lexmeister2

One thing I was thinking of today, when Samsung finally roll out the 2.2 update, will I need to undo everything that's been done before updating? Or will the update automatically just reset everything and not cause any damage to the phone?

Guest DistortedLoop
One thing I was thinking of today, when Samsung finally roll out the 2.2 update, will I need to undo everything that's been done before updating? Or will the update automatically just reset everything and not cause any damage to the phone?

The update might very well get rid of our symlink to ext3/4. Probably wise to undo the moves befoe updating until someone brave enough to try it with the fix in place reports back with success.

I'm not holding my breath for an official Samsung Froyo for a month or two at least...when do you think it will come out?

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest Bizzie
Ok.. So should this be done always? Or only if I'm facing issues with market?

Only when you have very low free space on /system. Check with the command "df" and see how much space your /system has left.

Or when you know what you are doing, you could remove some stock apps from /system/app.. But like I said, only if you know what you are doing. If you mess up you could be stuck with a dead phone (partially :angry:)

Edited by Bizzie

Guest lexmeister2
The update might very well get rid of our symlink to ext3/4. Probably wise to undo the moves befoe updating until someone brave enough to try it with the fix in place reports back with success.

I'm not holding my breath for an official Samsung Froyo for a month or two at least...when do you think it will come out?

Oh yeah I'm not expecting anything anytime soon either. Don't mind if it removed the link, just don't want it to mess the phone up - you're right, probably best to reverse the changes before the update goes through.

Guest truemagic
OOPS....sorry I meant I did this (copied the wrong steps)

adb shell

su -

edited my msg above to avoid confusion.....I did follow the first post here:D

update: Yay, finally I did it successfully.

However, I would like to know how to mount sdcard on windows?

After I select mount, it only shows internal sd (G:), although F: (supposedly is external sd) is shown but it's not accessible?

so that means my 6Gb (FAT32) of external sd is not usable?

Operating system: windows xp