UPDATED : Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem

Guest mimocan

Guest Xoneso
good question.

I thought about it though. But this method you suggested implies you need to reflash your phone, and then right after the flash process without booting the phone apply the kernel fix.

I can incorporate the kernel into firmware so that you don't need to do this step but then it will be firmware dependent.

hmm true...

would make a kernel myself but atm they end up with a size off 2.7mb or so and just goes into bootlooping :angry:

but can also see a problem now when you reflash phone with another firmware later with this method... you would have to format the 2nd part on the sdcard again before doing it... might be abit to much

Guest Shinili

still getting

can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system
:angry: formated my card about 10 times with Paragon Partion Manager 10 Server... 2 times with gparted live.... (on 2 different computers) tried v3 with ext3 and v4 with ext4... still same msg... :D would be pretty awesome if somebody could help me... sitting here for about 5hours <.<
......\adb-windows>adb shell

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

$ su -

su -

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

mount: Invalid argument

# busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system

# mount

mount

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc

harset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha

rset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar

set=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset

=utf8 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=

1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s

hortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard/sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,g

id=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-

1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

#

posted this on xda, too... hoping somebody can help me :/

Guest mimocan
still getting

:angry: formated my card about 10 times with Paragon Partion Manager 10 Server... 2 times with gparted live.... (on 2 different computers) tried v3 with ext3 and v4 with ext4... still same msg... :D would be pretty awesome if somebody could help me... sitting here for about 5hours <.<
......\adb-windows>adb shell

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

$ su -

su -

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

mount: Invalid argument

# busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

busybox cp -rp /data/data /disk/

cp: can't create directory '/disk/data': Read-only file system

# mount

mount

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,ioc

harset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocha

rset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iochar

set=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset

=utf8 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=

1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,s

hortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard/sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,g

id=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-

1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

#

posted this on xda, too... hoping somebody can help me :/

first partition should be fat32, the second one ext4 (v4) ext3 (v3).

your partition table is not correct.

Guest Shinili

oh it is.. I'm not that noobish ^^

card is 8gb class 6, ext3 is 999gb, fat32 is about 7gb

fat32 is 1.

ext3 is 2.

and yes, both are primary :/

Edited by Shinili

Guest mimocan
oh it is.. I'm not that noobish ^^

card is 8gb class 6, ext3 is 999gb, fat32 is about 7gb

fat32 is 1.

ext3 is 2.

and yes, both are primary :/

can you then try:

mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

Guest Arnon
still getting

For me the problem was trying to use the SGS as the card reader. Once I used a real card reader the partitioning went through and everything is working now

Arnon

Guest lexmeister2

I hate to ask such a noob question but I've spent a few hours now and can't work the last part out. I've flashed to JG5 (which is a huge improvement in itself!) and I've partitioned the SD card and applied the zip file from the first post - but I'm stuck with the busybox stuff.

What is it and how do I install it, and then how do I apply the commands? Is it through the windows command prompt? Please help as I can't believe I've got this far and then got stuck at the part that is obviously the simplest as there haven't been any questions about it! I'd be really grateful if someone could point me towards a guide or something of what I need to do.

Thanks in advance :angry:

Anyone that is on JG5 and with this fix that has huge problems with speed on MassStorage? Mine is so slow that send few megs from pc to sdcrad take like 30min+ :angry:

Guest bratfink

Just a few quick fixes..

For the person who is having the write errors i had the same problem, what i did was open root explorer (great app) and pressed mount as r/w at the top. Everything then went perfectly.

For all the people that are having trouble installing busybox you can download an app for it on the market place, im pretty just its called 'install busybox' but just type in busybox and it will come up, alternativly download titanium backup and press the problems button and this will install the latest busybox aswell.

Hope these help!!

Guest DistortedLoop
Anyone that is on JG5 and with this fix that has huge problems with speed on MassStorage? Mine is so slow that send few megs from pc to sdcrad take like 30min+ :angry:

I just read in the JG5 thread here that JG5 appears to have fixed the problem and that the phone is running faster with just JG5 then Paul's fix method.

I wonder if Mimo's method is necessary if JG5 fixes the issue. I'll post over there and ask the guy to run the benchmark (Quadrant's what you guys are using, right?). But I also saw someone here post a 1633 with JG5 and v4 kernel. it would be interesting to see what JG5 alone scores. I want to believe that the internal memory has to be faster than an sdcard, no matter what class the sdcard is.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest delarock

Hallo,

i have still one bad wifi issue:( a flashed clean FW G1 as was written.Than R2 update everything ok.but than i flashed kernel and made this fix but wifi is still just obtaining adress??? how can i solve this problem.Strange is that i flashned clean fw and make fix and still have a problem...... pls help :angry:

Edited by delarock

Guest Kilack
Hallo,

i have still one bad wifi issue:( a flashed clean FW G1 as was written.Than R2 update everything ok.but than i flashed kernel and made this fix but wifi is still just obtaining adress??? how can i solve this problem.Strange is that i flashned clean fw and make fix and still have a problem...... pls help :angry:

Yeah I had the same issue.. never worked out what caused it.. I had to start from the beginning.

Seems to be different issues each time :D, that is what you get for playing with new kernels and firmwares though..

Guest bigbuffalo2009

This is fantastic. Samsung is flying. JG5 and that V4 Kernel using ext4 on my Sandisk 32GB Class 2 and get benchmark of 1710.

post-643458-1279152976_thumb.png

Guest delarock
This is fantastic. Samsung is flying. JG5 and that V4 Kernel using ext4 on my Sandisk 32GB Class 2 and get benchmark of 1710.

kilack so. what should i do. Flash new firmware than flash R2 addition than new kernel and make that fix???? still problems with wifi.

Anyone any idea????

Guest Kilack
kilack so. what should i do. Flash new firmware than flash R2 addition than new kernel and make that fix???? still problems with wifi.

Anyone any idea????

I wiped, flashed jg1, then r2 then this kernel, seemed to work fine..

but definitely something in this kernel or some combination of things that causes wifi to stop working... just sits there forever saying obtaining IP.... but anyway try again, second time lucky :angry:

Guest iLiquid
I wiped, flashed jg1, then r2 then this kernel, seemed to work fine..

but definitely something in this kernel or some combination of things that causes wifi to stop working... just sits there forever saying obtaining IP.... but anyway try again, second time lucky :angry:

My Wi-Fi is working without any problems. Using JG5 + ext4 kernel.

Guest Kilack
My Wi-Fi is working without any problems. Using JG5 + ext4 kernel.

Did you sort out the problem of quadrant getting stuck?

I struck the same issue on another galaxy so was wondering what you did to fix it?

Guest iLiquid
Did you sort out the problem of quadrant getting stuck?

I struck the same issue on another galaxy so was wondering what you did to fix it?

Hi Kilack.

When trying to find a solution something went wrong with my microSD. I recovered it but now I can only make one large FAT32 partition on it.

I've got another microSD and this time all went well. Also I flashed the new G5 firmware and the kernel with ext4.

Now I have the device running without a problem.

P.S. There was something I did different this time. I used Paragon to make the partitions and it seems I was always creating the ext3 partition in the first place and locating it to the right side of the available space. I was doing this without thinking guiding me visually. When committing the operations (creation of fat32 and ext3 partitions) paragon should be creating the ext3 as the first partition.

The microSD that gave me problems is a Dane-Elec 8GB class 4 (media market)

Guest Shinili
for me it helped to first format the card with the HP format utility and then repartition it again.

hmm where can i get die utility?

can you then try:

$ su -

su -

# mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

#
For me the problem was trying to use the SGS as the card reader. Once I used a real card reader the partitioning went through and everything is working now Arnon
did it in 2 different computers... built-in card reader EDIT: just tried

again, but with busybox in front of it... lol ^^ seems like it worked.. benchmark showing 0,446sec for writing and 0,265sec for reading <3

Edited by Shinili

Guest mimocan
hmm where can i get die utility?

$ su -

su -

# mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /disk

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

#
did it in 2 different computers... built-in card reader EDIT: just tried

again, but with busybox in front of it... lol ^^ seems like it worked.. benchmark showing 0,446sec for writing and 0,265sec for reading <3

if manually mounting the drive works then it went wrong while flashing the new kernel.

Guest delarock

I have one question.Can i flash JG5 firmware than R2 update from modaco and than this kernel? will something happend? Modaco has written on page to use it only with JG1.bud tried this someone??bigbuffalo post that he has this kernel and JG5.How did you obtain SU withou update from modaco ?

EDIT: i flashed JG1(re-partition) flashed R2 addon from modaco and than flashed kernel and make fix.but still wifi problems.What could be wrong :/ previosly i thought that problem was with that JIT addition but it doesnt work with R2:( too

Edited by delarock

Guest mimocan
I have one question.Can i flash JG5 firmware than R2 update from modaco and than this kernel? will something happend? Modaco has written on page to use it only with JG1.bud tried this someone??bigbuffalo post that he has this kernel and JG5.How did you obtain SU withou update from modaco ?

EDIT: i flashed JG1(re-partition) flashed R2 addon from modaco and than flashed kernel and make fix.but still wifi problems.What could be wrong :/ previosly i thought that problem was with that JIT addition but it doesnt work with R2:( too

1- flash whatever firmware you want

2- flash the kernel

3 - apply the update.zip attached to this post

4- follow the procedure to move the data.

hope this helps.

update.zip

Guest jdomnia
1- flash whatever firmware you want

2- flash the kernel

3 - apply the update.zip attached to this post

4- follow the procedure to move the data.

hope this helps.

Hi mimocan,

very noob here,

please help me to solve my problem. i have flash your kernal with JG5 + v4 + ext4 on sd card. manage to run the terminal app in the phone.

i have use mount r/w from root explorer, then start writing in the terminal as follow :

su -

cp -rp /data/data /disk/

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /disk/data /data/data

reboot

after reboot, the phone passed the galaxy s welcome screen but the it become blank with light on the touch sensitive.

can some one guide me on the adb or actual command in the andriod terminal. my phone is rooted and installed busybox.

p/s: I assume the partition of the sd card is ok since no more read-only error massage?

thank you,

jd