27/Jul r3b MG Custom Rom for pulse mini

Guest gforums

Guest Danh2122

can someone copy and upload everything that's on the Virtual CD drive when you plug in the phone via usb, can't seem to get then original ROM to flash properly.

Anybody know a way to remove the Clockwork Recovery to send it back the original recovery? OR A way to install the Stock ROM using Clockwork Recovery

UPDATE: Wait I've done it Yey :(

Edited by Danh2122

Guest Simon O

Nice to see Pulse Mini development coming along fast. Thought I'd offer some info if it's at all useful

Are you using the old a2sd or the newer Darktremor A2SD? Personally I think the Darktremor version is a lot better and doesn't suffer from any issues like the old one did. This should work fine on the pulse mini but the kernel init.rc will need to be slightly edited so the part which calls busybox runparts is moved higher up (below the raccoon part).

Whilst you are in init.rc you can make some nice changes to the memory management to speed things up. Oh and remove the Superboot folder from the kernel ramdisk. Isn't needed any more.

A lot of the edits I made to the kernel init.rc were to speed things up a little on the big Pulse which doesn't have as much ram. As the mini pulse has more ram and a faster CPU the fixes should actually make it perform even better. And I'm fairly sure that JIT may even run for you guys properly.

If you want either add me on google talk or send me a PM about this. I can share my configs for the pulse kernel if you want something to base yours on. So far I've not seen much differences between the two kernels so Huawei are really lazy.

I still plan to buy a Pulse Mini for development one day :(

Nice to see Pulse Mini development coming along fast. Thought I'd offer some info if it's at all useful

Are you using the old a2sd or the newer Darktremor A2SD? Personally I think the Darktremor version is a lot better and doesn't suffer from any issues like the old one did. This should work fine on the pulse mini but the kernel init.rc will need to be slightly edited so the part which calls busybox runparts is moved higher up (below the raccoon part).

Whilst you are in init.rc you can make some nice changes to the memory management to speed things up. Oh and remove the Superboot folder from the kernel ramdisk. Isn't needed any more.

A lot of the edits I made to the kernel init.rc were to speed things up a little on the big Pulse which doesn't have as much ram. As the mini pulse has more ram and a faster CPU the fixes should actually make it perform even better. And I'm fairly sure that JIT may even run for you guys properly.

If you want either add me on google talk or send me a PM about this. I can share my configs for the pulse kernel if you want something to base yours on. So far I've not seen much differences between the two kernels so Huawei are really lazy.

I still plan to buy a Pulse Mini for development one day :(

I would be very interested for info on your kernel changes, I tried to download your latest pulse rom earlier to take a look but I couldn't download it for some reason. Good to know about the a2sd changes, I put the code right at the end of init.rc script. I'll change that for the next boot.img release.

Thanks,

Mike.

Guest Simon O
I would be very interested for info on your kernel changes, I tried to download your latest pulse rom earlier to take a look but I couldn't download it for some reason. Good to know about the a2sd changes, I put the code right at the end of init.rc script. I'll change that for the next boot.img release.

Thanks,

Mike.

It was a weird fix. Having the runparts at the end of the init.rc worked with the older a2sd but it caused Darktremor to sometimes not even work right. Moving it up the file allowed it to work correctly at all times. I don't see any reason why it won't work the same for the mini pulse.

Anyway my init.rc changes:

# Define the oom_adj values for the classes of processes that can be
# killed by the kernel. These are used in ActivityManagerService.
setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_ADJ 0
setprop ro.VISIBLE_APP_ADJ 1
setprop ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_ADJ 2
setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_ADJ 2
setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ 1
setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MIN_ADJ 7
setprop ro.CONTENT_PROVIDER_ADJ 14
setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_ADJ 15

# Define the memory thresholds at which the above process classes will
# be killed. These numbers are in pages (4k).
setprop ro.FOREGROUND_APP_MEM 1536
setprop ro.VISIBLE_APP_MEM 2048
setprop ro.SECONDARY_SERVER_MEM 4096
setprop ro.BACKUP_APP_MEM 4096
setprop ro.HOME_APP_MEM 4096
setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 10240
setprop ro.CONTENT_PROVIDER_MEM 12800
setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 15360

# Write value must be consistent with the above properties.
# Note that the driver only supports 6 slots, so we have HOME_APP at the
# same memory level as services.
write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj 0,1,2,7,14,15

write /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory 1
write /proc/sys/vm/min_free_order_shift 4
write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,2048,4096,10240,12800,15360[/code] Those are tweaks to the memory management to keep most essentials services in memory for longer as well as provide a little speed boost. The values are based on the "moderate" settings in Autokiller app. 'setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ 1' is useful as this keeps the current launcher in ram at all times. A2SD fixes: You need to look for 'class_start default' and add two lines above it so it looks like
[code] start userinit
on property:cm.filesystem.ready=1
class_start default
then move the userinit part from the bottom to below "service racoon"
service racoon /system/bin/racoon
socket racoon stream 600 system system
# racoon will setuid to vpn after getting necessary resources.
group net_admin
disabled
oneshot

# Execute files in /etc/init.d before booting
service userinit /system/xbin/busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d
disabled
oneshot

service mtpd /system/bin/mtpd
socket mtpd stream 600 system system
user vpn
group vpn net_admin net_raw
disabled
oneshot[/code]

That will allow A2SD to work correctly.

then you just need to download Darktremor from http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtap...pf4a-signed.zip and extract the zip moving the files into the rom. Remember to remove all older a2sd files including the startup scripts.

These are only small changes which make a difference but the best thing is to get compiling the pulse mini kernel source and add compcache, swap and overclocking :(

and I still want to know how you edited Fancy Widget so it defaults to Celsius and alarm clock. APKtool wouldn't re-compile the apk for me :(

Edited by flibblesan

Guest gforums
and I still want to know how you edited Fancy Widget so it defaults to Celsius and alarm clock. APKtool wouldn't re-compile the apk for me sad.gif

oh well for sure apktool re-signes apks for me.

But in this case, I just included fancy widget settings from /data/data in the rom :(

Guest pz8l8t

hi guys. thanks for your work on the mini so far. if your going to be messing around with the kernel, can you see if you can get it to support netfilter (iptables), so it would be possible to use android-wifi-tether? I have problems with barnacle which means it doesn't work for me (see thread "barnacle wifi thether problems"). thanks in advance.

Guest fredfox_uk

Thanks for you help in getting my first Android flash to work :(

After the flash, all the settings for my Google account, Wi-Fi and unlock pattern are remembered ? How's that done given this is a flash of a new ROM and I'm using a new SD card ?

Guest Gjole86
ok guys,

r3 is online!

Now with a2sd, a working gallery and improvements on the boot.img

downloading atm, flashing after dinner. expect deep review soon :(

Guest gforums
After the flash, all the settings for my Google account, Wi-Fi and unlock pattern are remembered ? How's that done given this is a flash of a new ROM and I'm using a new SD card ?

Well the rom doesn't overwrite the whole system. If you didn't "wipe data/factory reset" within the recovery, parts of the rom (Userdata) aren't deleted.

So if you don't have any problems with the rom, that's fine. Otherwise I recommand doing a wipe, but only when you encouter trouble.

downloading atm, flashing after dinner. expect deep review soon smile.gif

Enjoy your meal :-) I hope I can enjoy your review then ...lol

Edited by gforums

Guest gforums

Just follow the step in the first post to create a second (ext2) partition on your sd card.

A2SD automatically moves your installed apps and their cache onto the ext2 partition from your sd card.

You can see it's working either when inserting your sd card on a linux system or by navigating with "root explorer" to /system/sd and see if there is a app and a app cache folder...

A2SD has no programm icon or any configuration options...

Guest Mental_Atom

ah yes it seems to be working.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but the headphones fix script seems to force close for me, dunno about you

Guest Gjole86

As i (kinda :D) promised to do some deep testing this is my results so far:

- faster response in every aspect, surfing speed, menus ...

- faster bootup time (thx god, and u ofc :()

- not much what to say, phone is like reborn.

- got SC card speed decreased. SDSpeedTest app reported class6, now reports class4. but it is expected as a2sd is live and kicking :P

Now few negative things:

- Managed to get FC! :D Contacts->Menu button->Manage contacts-> Copy from SIM card. U see none but there are contacts on SIM card (163). Do Select all. boom. android.process.acore FC without the wait option.

This i would rate 5-6 / 10 star bug coz i transfered contacts over SC card. But as most maybe will do Data Wipe they will be contact-less :P

- Another FC i got at gallery app (this 1 u included). there were few FCs but i guess its normal, seems like minis dont have that much processing power B)

Now im tesing wifi, gps and multimedia parts, also still waiting for market to show more apps (it can take up to 24h when changing fingerprint afaik)

So far so good, gonna report more as i go :D

PS: im not under 3G cover so that i leave to some1 else to test :(

Guest gforums

Gjole86,

I'm happy to see that most things seem to work.

I also get the FC when trying to move sim contacts over to the phone. I'm not sure wheter I'll be able to fix this. Gonna try it yourself :-)

Concerning the Gallery I'm actually happy to at least have a gallery that is working. I didn't get any FCs with it yet. As I don't know what was causing the standard gallery to crash everytime, I'm very limited in doing improvements here.

Don't forget, I'm still a newbie and nerver cooked a rom before. Therefore I'm already d'accord with what we have for now.

Still my whish that other people will join the pulse mini club :-)

Guest Gjole86

nah i know that u are newbie, i try to mod ur mods too :( mainly i wanted to port BlueS or ogiogi's cyan v2 framework. as time i have is rly short i rly appreciate ur work. and its very well done.

about contacts i managed to sent em properly. also fixed my main contancts prob. some contacts have 2-3 or more numbers. when stored to sim card they get apart and when copyed to pulse i had like 4 contacts with same name, but diferent numbers. lucky i still have this old nokia 6630 working, so i sent all contacts over bluetooth. now lets rock :(

Guest mac_d4di

thankyou very much for this rom, so far the best of the bunch I think. could any of you clever people tell me how to use the script files as they seem to FC.

Guest Mental_Atom
thankyou very much for this rom, so far the best of the bunch I think. could any of you clever people tell me how to use the script files as they seem to FC.

This is indeed a brilliant ROM its so fast and better looking than the other one that comes as stock you have done a brilliant job thanks!

I also would like to know how to use the script files as they do indeed force close for me too.

Guest gforums

will remove script files in a next release. ASE r25 is not working on the pulse. I heart r20 would do, but I don't get it either to run...

ah and yes...please someone is keen enough to restart the phone?

Did that now and getting a lot of core FC. Is that the same on your phones? Hopefully not :/

Edited by gforums

Guest Mental_Atom
will remove script files in a next release. ASE r25 is not working on the pulse. I heart r20 would do, but I don't get it either to run...

ah and yes...please someone is keen enough to restart the phone?

Did that now and getting a lot of core FC. Is that the same on your phones? Hopefully not :/

Restarted here, still working fine for me