Desire A8183 turning into A8181?

Guest jipped

Guest jipped

Hi I'm brand new here as I got a brand new Desire.

I purchased the A8183 since I'm on Rogers in Canada and their 3g is on 850/1900

After rooting my desire last night using this guide "14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support"

I noticed in my About Phone menu that the model number was reading A8181. I can't connect to mobile internet.

Any thoughts? Do I need a different rom or a different root/flash method?

Guest macdat
Hi I'm brand new here as I got a brand new Desire.

I purchased the A8183 since I'm on Rogers in Canada and their 3g is on 850/1900

After rooting my desire last night using this guide "14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support"

I noticed in my About Phone menu that the model number was reading A8181. I can't connect to mobile internet.

Any thoughts? Do I need a different rom or a different root/flash method?

Did you get an answer to this ?

Am curious to know if the difference between and A8181 and A8183 is software only or if there are hardware (for different 3G bands) too.

I need a phone to work in US and UK on 3G and (so far) think I need the A8183 to do that.

Guest ash aus
Did you get an answer to this ?

Am curious to know if the difference between and A8181 and A8183 is software only or if there are hardware (for different 3G bands) too.

I need a phone to work in US and UK on 3G and (so far) think I need the A8183 to do that.

The difference is in the hardware: A8183 works on the 850/2100 bands for HSPA/WCDMA. The A8181 works on the 900/2100 bands for HSPA/WCDMA. Both phones are quad band GSM though.

You should buy the phone that works on the two UMTS (HSPA/WCDMA) bands your network provider supports. You can buy the phones 'stock' without any carrier specific software and they will work fine, including mobile internet once the APN setting are entered - provided of course you bought one that supports your carrier frequencies. If you buy from the carriers themselves there may be specific software changes made by them to put preferred apps etc... hence rooting/loading custom roms to 'clean' the phone.

In Australia a few people have bought the A8183 and wonder why it doesn't work properly on their network... all networks except one (Telstra - which has exclusive right to the HTC Desire) run on 900/2100 so the phone is essentially useless in rural/regional areas.

If your phone can't connect to mobile internet it will be because of the APN settings. I have an A8183 and in a previous ROM it was showing as A8181... ,mobile internet worked fine. If it is still not working look for a custom rom on Modaco by Muskie for Telstra.... it has the correct user agent string to display your phone as an A8183. It doesn't have any Telstra specific software (I don't think) just a couple of bookmarks...

Guest macdat
The difference is in the hardware: A8183 works on the 850/2100 bands for HSPA/WCDMA. The A8181 works on the 900/2100 bands for HSPA/WCDMA. Both phones are quad band GSM though.

You should buy the phone that works on the two UMTS (HSPA/WCDMA) bands your network provider supports. You can buy the phones 'stock' without any carrier specific software and they will work fine, including mobile internet once the APN setting are entered - provided of course you bought one that supports your carrier frequencies. If you buy from the carriers themselves there may be specific software changes made by them to put preferred apps etc... hence rooting/loading custom roms to 'clean' the phone.

In Australia a few people have bought the A8183 and wonder why it doesn't work properly on their network... all networks except one (Telstra - which has exclusive right to the HTC Desire) run on 900/2100 so the phone is essentially useless in rural/regional areas.

If your phone can't connect to mobile internet it will be because of the APN settings. I have an A8183 and in a previous ROM it was showing as A8181... ,mobile internet worked fine. If it is still not working look for a custom rom on Modaco by Muskie for Telstra.... it has the correct user agent string to display your phone as an A8183. It doesn't have any Telstra specific software (I don't think) just a couple of bookmarks...

Thanks

UK 3G band is 2100 and AT&T in the US uses 850/1900, so having 850/2100 on the A8183 will get me 3G in both places.

I am hunting for an A8183 to buy in or ship to the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest primo.i

What a relief, I was looking for a good description for a few days but I just could find generic answrs, Really thanks for the detailed and helpful answer .

Cheers.

Guest tigris666

I have the original problem as the OP. I bought the desire from Telstra (I'm not on a telstra sim though) here in Australia. It was an A8183 originally when it had the telstra branding on it. When I first rooted and flashed the 2.1 ROM onto it, the phone identified itself as an A8181, yet mobile internet etc still worked here in the CBD (i'm with 3). Will I struggle in rural areas now that i've flashed away the ability to use that 900 band?

Now I'm running WIP r8, the phone doesn't identify itself at all, it just says HTC Desire, no version number.

When I turn "syncing" of accounts OFF, i still notice the HSDPA icon flashing every now and then. Is there a way I can tell what is using data? I have a huge plan so I am not in danger of reaching limits, I'm just curious is all, in case I did want to stop using data completely.

• 1 month later...
Guest billlangworthy

I'm new at this so any help you can give I would be so grateful!!!AT&T in the USA is my provider. I bought the HTC Desire A8181 unlocked 5 months ago in the UK. Originally I had T-Mobile as my provider however company changed providers to AT&T and I cannot get the phone to access the internet. I am not sure if I have the APN settings correct. Can anyone assist with them? Thanks so very much!!! I love the phone hwoever unless I am home an use my WiFi network - I cannot access the internet. (I also cannot send or receive text messages either). Thanks so very much!! Best regards, Bill

Thanks

UK 3G band is 2100 and AT&T in the US uses 850/1900, so having 850/2100 on the A8183 will get me 3G in both places.

I am hunting for an A8183 to buy in or ship to the UK.

Guest apatas
I'm new at this so any help you can give I would be so grateful!!!AT&T in the USA is my provider. I bought the HTC Desire A8181 unlocked 5 months ago in the UK. Originally I had T-Mobile as my provider however company changed providers to AT&T and I cannot get the phone to access the internet. I am not sure if I have the APN settings correct. Can anyone assist with them? Thanks so very much!!! I love the phone hwoever unless I am home an use my WiFi network - I cannot access the internet. (I also cannot send or receive text messages either). Thanks so very much!! Best regards, Bill

T-Mobile US uses 1700/2100 bands, which is similiar to the EU band of 900/2100, well at least 1 of them is, so you can connect to the 3G. Whereas AT&T uses 850/1900 which shares no European band for 3G. So A8181 is capable with T-Mobile US, and A8183 is capable with AT&T and T-Mobile and Europe. Not fully tho.... You can always use 2G, as the phone is quad-band.... Try changing APN to AT&T and use GSM only not WCDMA only in Mobile Network settings. For the sms check the settings for it in Messaging app.

Edited by apatas