"Refreshing Sim Data" annoying pop ups

Guest DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

Cross posted this at xda, but things tend to get lost in the noise over there, and hoping someone here has thoughts:

I've got an unlocked Singapore i9000 with the European JG1 firmware installed and using it on AT&T in the US.

The phone frequently pops up an annoying message about "refreshing sim data". It pops up, then fades away on its own.

Other than the obvious, what does "refreshing sim data" mean, and why does it do it so often? This is the only phone I've owned that does that.

Any idea what's going on behind the scenes (either on the phone, or at AT&T) when the phone pops up that "refreshing sim data" message? What's refreshing on the sim or the phone, and why does it do it so often?

On an interesting related note. The sim I am using is from my iPhone account on AT&T and is grandfathered in with the true unlimited data plan. What's interesting is that usually when I put the sim into another phone, like say my old Razr, the AT&T website almost instantly reflects that I'm not on an iPhone with that sim at the moment; with the i9000, the sim's been in it non-stop for almost a month now, and AT&T still reports me as an iPhone.

Guest DistortedLoop
you're not using an antique or a newer micro simcard, cos they have special/different voltages .. could be the case =/

It's a one year old SIM out of my iPhone 3G. That crossed my mind that it might just be the SIM, but seesm like it's a pretty standard sim. I should put my T-Mo sim and see what happens over a period of time.