03/August r2 - XXJP3 (Froyo) pre-rooted / insecure boot / ClockworkMod recovery for Odin

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest arunachalam

Dear Paul,after removing other usb divices I installed this rom.other things fine except default browser.It is not co operate with flash player 10.1.after opening a flash site It is forcely closed.xscope light browser ok.Thank you.

Guest Xoneso
Updated with insecure boot image for pushing straight to system and to enable adb shell straight to superuser and now with clockworkmod recovery by Koush built in. :)

This is quite different to what has gone before, so feedback is welcome.

P

First thing first... Thanks Paul :D

and now then..

Just tested clockworkmod to apply a update.zip and it gives me an error:

-- Installing: SDCARD:update.zip

Finding update package...

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0 (or mmcblk0p1)

(Device or resource busy)

E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip

Installation aborted.

So you might wanna get koush to look that over :D

Edited by Xoneso

Guest Mike Beecham

I notice that a lot of people are experiencing problems with this rom (JP3), and I thought I would add my experience in...I hope it helps someone:

I originally flashed JP3 when it hit the samsung-firmwares website....Froyo was good, but it lagged way too much. There was significant lag in the opening and closing of some applications, and the general feeling about the day to day running of the phone was "sloppy" at best. However, I then flashed the rom again, this time with a clean and full wipe....internal SD card, clean partition and factory settings.

Wow...all of a sudden the phone is significantly better than it was...smooth handling, apps opening and closing as they should. I even get decent wifi and reception.

Now, I know that this did not cure all the issues, as some (i'm sure) is down to the architecture of Froyo right now. However, it IS way better than it was and very much a day to day useable phone now.

Guest DistortedLoop

Yes, a clean wipe of everything is always a good way to start out with a completely new ROM, at least with the internal ROM space. Odd that formatting the internal FAT32 sdcard makes a difference, though, in my opinion. Perhaps it's something to do with buggy media scanning on a "dirty" card?

I notice that a lot of people are experiencing problems with this rom (JP3), and I thought I would add my experience in...I hope it helps someone:

I originally flashed JP3 when it hit the samsung-firmwares website....Froyo was good, but it lagged way too much. There was significant lag in the opening and closing of some applications, and the general feeling about the day to day running of the phone was "sloppy" at best. However, I then flashed the rom again, this time with a clean and full wipe....internal SD card, clean partition and factory settings.

Wow...all of a sudden the phone is significantly better than it was...smooth handling, apps opening and closing as they should. I even get decent wifi and reception.

Now, I know that this did not cure all the issues, as some (i'm sure) is down to the architecture of Froyo right now. However, it IS way better than it was and very much a day to day useable phone now.

Guest miker71
this is great, downloading now, will flash later.

i am currently using non-root JP3 as my day-to-day ROM with no absolute showstoppers (read-only external sdcard bugs all there of course, but Air Disk gets around that)

been looking for a lazy person's JP3 root and Paul has supplied it, many thanks :-)

reason I now want root on JP3 is try this, noted from XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=370

the JIT being flaky is consistent with my experience on JP3 so hoping this helps stabilise (at the expense of raw performance) ...

i used Root Explorer to edit the /system/build.prop as above and ... so far so good. need to run it a day or two to notice if it made things more stable for me ... the browser certainly seems less laggy (but still not as good as Eclair/JG5 and nowhere near as fast as N1/Froyo)

if JP3/rc2 is otherwise stock i've no reason to believe anything else will have changed (eg read-only ext sdcard when mounting on PC)

thanks for the Odin root work Paul

Guest aeo087

I think it's awesome that you're doing this Paul. I know a lot of people hate odin, but it's quick and easy... I'd give this a try if JP3 wasn't so buggy, I used it for a couple of days and it was driving me insane.

Guest HackDown78
First thing first... Thanks Paul :)

and now then..

Installation aborted.

You need to install ROM Manager from the Android Market to get this fully working :D

Nandroid Backup working fine, Wipe etc commands :P

Have fun and thanks Paul :P

Guest ascito

Why I always am not able to use adb??? I'm using SDK r.6, but I get always device not found on adb remount...

:)

Edited by ascito

Guest HackDown78
Why I always am not able to use adb??? I'm using SDK r.6, but I get always device not found on adb remount...

You can push and pull any file, system is rooted

Guest ascito
You can push and pull any file, system is rooted

Ok but adb should detect my device in order to do this, but it doesn't...

Edited by ascito

Guest DistortedLoop
I think it's awesome that you're doing this Paul. I know a lot of people hate odin, but it's quick and easy... I'd give this a try if JP3 wasn't so buggy, I used it for a couple of days and it was driving me insane.

It's not the we hate Odin per se, it's that we hate that we have to find a real Windows box to use it. Wouldn't be an issue for me if Odin worked in VMware...and no, I'm not interested in using Boot Camp, but thanks for the thought. :)

:D

Same problem here; usually unlpugging the phone from USB and re-plugging it in lets "adb devices" work as expected. The obvious question is do you have debugging mode enabled? Assuming you do, but never hurts to double check. Otherwise the advice to just try pushing something whether devices command brings it up or not couldn't hurt. Maybe try "adb shell" and see what you get. That's what I'll try next time it happens to me.

we all have this "problem" but adb works fine, try before crying!

Be nice. It is a problem, not a "problem" if the Samsung behaves differently than every other Android phone you plug in and is instantly recognized with the adb devices command. It's not crying to say you have an issue or something you're just not getting right. :D

Guest Xoneso
You need to install ROM Manager from the Android Market to get this fully working :)

Nandroid Backup working fine, Wipe etc commands :D

Have fun and thanks Paul :D

Before you get up on your high horse this error has nothing to do with rom manager as it's out in the recovery and another point i do have rom manager even had it when i first tried after flashing this version from Paul.

You can use the recovery without rom manager.

Guest IBTECH
First thing first... Thanks Paul :)

and now then..

Installation aborted.

I am having the exact same issue with recovery and i have rom manager installed.

I was able to nanadoird backup once. after that it refuses to let me do anything via recovery with the above message.

there is something going on with the recovery here.

I don't have any issues with recovery when using it the regular way on JM2 (i.e. booting into regular recovery and then to clockwork).

Guest Tribaal

EDIT: Yeah, backing up and restoring (basically using the recovery mode) actually doesn't work, as noted (cannot mount the sd card).

Works a treat :)

Removing all theses nonsense applications is a "pain" though (shame on Samsung for their Calculator app), and I had to push fancy widget to it :D

Keep up the good work Paul! Thanks a lot!

- Trib'

Edited by Tribaal

Guest Archer13

Paul, is it possible to integrate Swype from JP1 (more languages) to your next release? It works on JP3, but require more space in /system partition. Also, full APN list (apns-conf.xml) will be useful for many users. Thanks!

Guest DistortedLoop
Did anyway try JG8 africa firmware? I'm using it right now and its really really good, fast and no GPS problem

What were you on before? Anything missing from JG1 or other Euro versions...?

Guest dudeldei

Thx for this!

Just got a new Galaxy S from vendor. Had HW fail with backlight.

This was an easy and quick way to get a new ROM from stock with root.