i920 Owners Read This.

Guest fire3element

Guest WhoTheHellAmI

and as noted above by a few people, the only thing Droid doesn't come out of the box doing better than our omnias is swype. you can still download that just fine if you really like it.

and as noted above by a few people, the only thing Droid doesn't come out of the box doing better than our omnias is swype. you can still download that just fine if you really like it.

The Droid X is the only droid right now that comes with the "official" Swype. What is available on the android market are knock-offs. A coworker uses them. They're ok, but notas fast or as accurate as the real thing.. Oh and the key buttons are much smaller. :-) don't settle for less.... Get the real deal.

The Droid X is the only droid right now that comes with the "official" Swype. What is available on the android market are knock-offs. A coworker uses them. They're ok, but notas fast or as accurate as the real thing.. Oh and the key buttons are much smaller. :-) don't settle for less.... Get the real deal.

The Samsung Fascinate has Swype and considered a Verizon "Droid" phone.

Guest WhoTheHellAmI
The Samsung Fascinate has Swype and considered a Verizon "Droid" phone.

They haven't stamped it with the "Droid" tag yet, so it's just an Android phone. But I've heard good things about it.

Then again, with what Samsung did to us with the Omnia 2, would you really want to buy another samsung?

It appears the Fascinate suffers from certain problems as well. You can see it here.

The real Fascinate dealbreaker...No Google on a Google Phone!?!?! What were they thinking?

Edited by WhoTheHellAmI

Guest urphonesux

i agree that if i went this route i would have to get a FREE upgrade. Not just some guy tricking me into paying more money and calling it customer service. Also being forced to use Bing on a google phone is atrocious

They haven't stamped it with the "Droid" tag yet, so it's just an Android phone. But I've heard good things about it.

Then again, with what Samsung did to us with the Omnia 2, would you really want to buy another samsung?

It appears the Fascinate suffers from certain problems as well. You can see it here.

The real Fascinate dealbreaker...No Google on a Google Phone!?!?! What were they thinking?

Hmm... I wonder why Verizon decided to skip the "Droid" tag on the Fascinate. They sent a ton of money licensing the name from Lucas Films to brand their line of Android phones, then drop in off certain models after less than a year?

In regards to the Fascinate, the reason I would take it over an Incredible is primarily the camera. I have two young daughters, and having a GOOD digital camera/camcorder always on my hip is invaluable. I realize that the Incredible has a 8MP camera, but it still not as nice at the 5MP on my O2 and the files take up less space. Also, compared side by side, the screen on the Incredible looks like garbage (as does the O2 screen). It's a nice size... bigger than the Incredible but it doesn't require cargo pants if you want to put it in your pocket like the Evo. The Bing issue is an unnecessary hassle, but it's already being addressed by Verizon and Samsung in the Android 2.2 update. Which brings me to why I would buy another Samsung phone after the Omnia 2 mess... it's a matter of consumer demand. When the Omnia 2 debuted with Verizon in early December of 2009, there were no ads or promos. The sales people didn't know anything about the phone, it wasn't even sold in most authorized Verizon dealer locations, and with two months the price was dropped to half the original price. It was one of the last of Verizon's Windows Mobile 6.x phones and it showed. All of their advertising money was going into the Droid campaign, and the resulting sales of the Omnia 2 reflected that. Just take a look at the number of customer reviews on Verizon's site. The Incredible has 2885 reviews, the DroidX has 2346. The Fascinate has only been out a couple weeks and it already has 150. Ten months after it's release, the Omnia 2 has 538.

If 2500 consumers complain about a product, it gets fixed. We're just a speck on Verizon's customer service radar. Yes... we did get screwed by a falsely advertised product and Verizon should compensate us, but they aren't going to pressure Samsung for a fix the way they would with a high profile product like the Fascinate.

Finally, within a day of the Fascinate's release, the guys at XDA Developers had it rooted (meaning it was cracked to modify it's most basic functions). If you don't like something about the phone, it's very likely that someone at XDA feels the same way and has developed a patch. From what I understand, the Motorola Droids can now be rooted, but they haven't been able to customize the ROMs yet. Meanwhile, it seems that the same kind of bloatware free ROMS we enjoy here will soon be available for the Fascinate. All in all, it seems to have the benefits of my O2, with a better screen, better hardware and a rapidly glowing developer base. If it doesn't crash whenever someone calls me when my GPS navigation app is running, it's a HUGE upgrade for me.

Edited by ED2O9

Guest fire3element

Hi guys. I just got off the phone with Samsungs ECR Dept. The lady I spoke with gave me the "middle finger" so to speak. She was nice at first, until I wouldn't accept the regular spill they always throw out. I told her I wanted more info about what was being done, but she kept telling me that no more info was going to be given. I got a little agrivated after she kept telling me that there was nothing more that would be done. She told me repeatedly to deal with Verizon on the issue. I told her that I had already dealt with Verizon Executive Dept. and that Verizon could do nothing more until Samsung made a move. Nothing I said made any difference. She was quick to get me off the phone. At this point I was Angry. I asked her if Samsung was saying "screw you" to the customer over the issue. She would not comment (smart girl). Then I told her about my expeience on the 52" TV. She didn't even apologize for the issue with that. At the the end of the conversation, I informed her that there are several people considering a law-suit. Now, she must have been mad. She kept trying to interupt me to ask me if I had any more questions. You know the part they have to say at the end of every phone call before they hang up. At the end she said "Thank you for calling Samsung-CLICK". She almost didn't finish the company name before the phone slammed the reciever.

So there you have it ladies and gents. The response from Samsung. Oh and the guy that told me he would contact Verizon Executive... yeah he never called back. Oh you want his info?

Samsung Customer Relations

1-800-552-7341

Option# 7 Ext#10592 - Greg

Leave him a message. And don't stop there. Call the number and voice your displeasure with whoever you reach. Don't let them transfer you to their Cellphone Dept. Be persistent, but don't lose it.

Oh and as a side note, the lady I spoke with read off the internal spec sheet for the i920. Guess what the RAM specs are? They still say it has 64mb+64mb PDA. So that is 128mb. So the website is subject to change, just not the actual spec sheet.

So take it FWIW. I am done with Samsung. I will now focus on making sure that EVERYONE KNOWS how they operate. I think I am going to make a YouTube video describing the problem and what Samsung has done about it. I am also going to talk about how my 52" TV became a cheap chinese knock off after I had the screen panel replaced due to bad pixels. And no the first panel in my TV was not the 3rd party chinese panel that it was replaced with.

So, there it is. Do with it what you will. I have done all that I can do. I hope that my efforts were not in vain.

Good Day.

Hmm... I wonder why Verizon decided to skip the "Droid" tag on the Fascinate. They sent a ton of money licensing the name from Lucas Films to brand their line of Android phones, then drop in off certain models after less than a year?

My theory is that Verizon will only brand a Verizon US exclusive phone a Droid. You can pick up a Galaxy S variant on any major US carrier, thus it's like being able to get that Droid anywhere. Why is the LG Ally not a Droid? Probably because it's lower end (which begs the question, why was the Eris a Droid?)

Hi guys. I just got off the phone with Samsungs ECR Dept. The lady I spoke with gave me the "middle finger" so to speak. She was nice at first, until I wouldn't accept the regular spill they always throw out. I told her I wanted more info about what was being done, but she kept telling me that no more info was going to be given. I got a little agrivated after she kept telling me that there was nothing more that would be done. She told me repeatedly to deal with Verizon on the issue. I told her that I had already dealt with Verizon Executive Dept. and that Verizon could do nothing more until Samsung made a move. Nothing I said made any difference. She was quick to get me off the phone. At this point I was Angry. I asked her if Samsung was saying "screw you" to the customer over the issue. She would not comment (smart girl). Then I told her about my expeience on the 52" TV. She didn't even apologize for the issue with that. At the the end of the conversation, I informed her that there are several people considering a law-suit. Now, she must have been mad. She kept trying to interupt me to ask me if I had any more questions. You know the part they have to say at the end of every phone call before they hang up. At the end she said "Thank you for calling Samsung-CLICK". She almost didn't finish the company name before the phone slammed the reciever.

So there you have it ladies and gents. The response from Samsung. Oh and the guy that told me he would contact Verizon Executive... yeah he never called back. Oh you want his info?

Samsung Customer Relations

1-800-552-7341

Option# 7 Ext#10592 - Greg

Leave him a message. And don't stop there. Call the number and voice your displeasure with whoever you reach. Don't let them transfer you to their Cellphone Dept. Be persistent, but don't lose it.

Oh and as a side note, the lady I spoke with read off the internal spec sheet for the i920. Guess what the RAM specs are? They still say it has 64mb+64mb PDA. So that is 128mb. So the website is subject to change, just not the actual spec sheet.

So take it FWIW. I am done with Samsung. I will now focus on making sure that EVERYONE KNOWS how they operate. I think I am going to make a YouTube video describing the problem and what Samsung has done about it. I am also going to talk about how my 52" TV became a cheap chinese knock off after I had the screen panel replaced due to bad pixels. And no the first panel in my TV was not the 3rd party chinese panel that it was replaced with.

So, there it is. Do with it what you will. I have done all that I can do. I hope that my efforts were not in vain.

Good Day.

And THAT ED209 is why most of us won't go back to Samsung. This isn't a rare example of Samsung's support... it is par for the course. I don't think Samsung gives a crap about their 'customers'... they just want to make something flashy enough that people will buy it... and then they are on to making the next piece of crap they're going to try to get people to buy.

Fire3element... I feel your frustration! Talking with Samsung usually resulted in getting my blood boiling... your post definately had my blood pressure up. Before you take off from the board... In the beginning of this thread you had mentioned a big 'plan' you had that you were going to do... I've been curious this whole time.... what were you scheming... and can we help?

My time is going to be coming to an end on this board... I've had my new phone for some time now and love having a phone in which everything just works!! My advice to everyone left on the Omnia II board... use all the GREAT information in this thread before communicating with Verizon... know what you're talking about and just keep in mind that you were LIED to. False advertising! I believe we have more than one law in the U.S. about companies advertising one thing and selling another. Don't fall for Verizon's offer of having to pay for another phone and re-up your 2-year. You already paid for a phone (and you're giving it back!) To me it just makes sense that if you bought a phone at the $199 price, you should be able to put that towards a phone they are currently selling @ $199.

Fire3element... thank you for starting this thread! It has help quite a few of us get out of the i920 and I'm sure it will help many others. To all the others... don't give up... don't let them get away with it.

Edited by livebig

Guest fire3element

I am happy to hear that I was able to help. I hope that everyone reading this thread uses the information to resolve their issue. I don't think Verizon wanted to replace all the i920, but they will to keep their customer. Me and my family have been with Verizon for about 11 years. Our bill is over $300 a month, so I am inclined to believe Verizon would like to keep our business. Now each case is going to be different, so take livebig's advice and know the facts before you call. And for the record, I did not start this thread for people looking for a free new phone. I have a legit complaint that existed before I knew about this thread and its info (speaking from someone else point of view). If you are just trying to up your hardware because you saw thia thread, please go away. I do not mean to offend anyone, but this thread was not created for that purpose.

As for my plan, I want to make sure that everone is aware of Samsung's business practices. First I plan on making some YouTube videos to open everyones eyes. Then I want to contact every major Tech Electronic website and magazine to make them aware of Samsungs disregard for the customers concern. After I get enough attention, I plan on going to the local news stations here in Houston. After that goes over, hopefully the larger news groups will pick it up. At that point, I think that the damage to Samsungs reputation will be greater than any lawsuit could bring. This is not what I wanted to do, but Samsung pushed it there. I tried my best to resolve the issue, only to be pushed aside and swept under the rug. I have had enough. I would hope that this will get their attention, but if it does not... SO BE IT SAMSUNG !

Your sales will reflect the truth.

If anyone wants to help out, then you can do the same. I might start a new thread for pushing forward with this effort. If you have made any moves of action, please post your progress here.

Guest AdamAsater
As for my plan, I want to make sure that everone is aware of Samsung's business practices. First I plan on making some YouTube videos to open everyones eyes. Then I want to contact every major Tech Electronic website and magazine to make them aware of Samsungs disregard for the customers concern. After I get enough attention, I plan on going to the local news stations here in Houston. After that goes over, hopefully the larger news groups will pick it up. At that point, I think that the damage to Samsungs reputation will be greater than any lawsuit could bring. This is not what I wanted to do, but Samsung pushed it there. I tried my best to resolve the issue, only to be pushed aside and swept under the rug. I have had enough. I would hope that this will get their attention, but if it does not... SO BE IT SAMSUNG !

Your sales will reflect the truth.

Hey Im 100% behind you on this but from my past experiences, A citizen vs corporation, Yea you might get to sue them and get money blah blah, but let me tell you, you wont even put a dent in their financial profits..But hey as long as you get what you want from the company who cares right? Goodluck buddy and hope for the best (Y)

Ps if i sound like im being rude..im not, im just saying suing a multiBILLION dollar company wont do much damage.

Oh 1 more thing that might be of consideration, You might want to rally up some people in houston (or whereever live, i assume houston because u said that XD) and launch a class action law suit. That might put a dent in them..MIGHT

Good luck :lol:

Im here to help if you need legal advice :)

Guest fire3element

I appreciate the advice AdamAsater, but if you reread some of my posts, then you will see that I am not interested in a lawsuit. I am not interested in money, unless Samsung wants to refund me for my phone. If you had read my last post, I made myself very clear. I am not interested in ill gotten gain, but I am interested in a larger company taking advantage of its customers. Not really "taking advantage" as much as it is selling a lie. I want people to know who they are buying from.

Just take for instance this situation with the Omnia 2. I happen to have a decent understanding of tech design. If I was a regular old Joe Blow, then I would have no idea that the i920 suffered from low RAM. Instead, I would believe all the regular spill from Verizon and Samsung and convince myself that I had made a bad decision for a phone. Now I am stuck with a crappy phone due to my mistake. However, now that I have an understanding of how a cellphone decice works, I now know that the specs that were advertised were not in the phone I paid for. So what about all the less fortunate people that bought a product from Samsung? Just cause they do not understand how their $2000 TV or $200 cellphone works, it is ok that they are not aware that they have a major problem with their purchase? It is ok to screw the customer as long as they do not know they are being screwed? I don't think so, and I bet everyone here (that isn't employed by Samsung) agrees with me.

And for the record, my TV never was fixed. The local Sears I bought it from was so kind to allow me to exchange it for another model. My new TV had ZERO problems and remains trouble free 3 years later. No matter how or who I talked to at Samsung, it was "Sorry, that's all we can do". This issue over the phone was the last straw. I plan on uncovering the truth behind Samsung so other are not taken advantage of.

And for anyone out there saying, "Samsung's products are too good, you will never put a dent it their sales". Mabe not, but I am going to do my best. I have mentioned this before, and will do so again. Remember Dell? Were not their products great at their peak business time. What happened? Repeated bad customer service finally caught up with them, did it not? Samsung will be no different it they don't cut the B.S.

Well, despite multiple contacts, and confirmation from a support tech of the disparity between advertised ram and actual, verizon refuses to do anything. According to the executive relations department, the issue is "under investigation." This is ridiculous. I had already filed an FTC complaint. I just filed a BBB complaint. I don't know what else to do. I get the impression they're worried about this becoming a wide spread issue and have issued a company-wide hold on any resolutions related to this. The woman from executive relations was extremely cold and was unwilling to discuss anything. I'm about to just cancel my contract and move on if this doesn't get resolved within the week.

I take back "not willing to do anything". They offered me a refurb droid 1 or an eris. The Eris was obviously a joke, and if I wanted a droid I would have purchsed one as it was available when I got the O2. The incredible is the most similar handset (same screen size and type, same internal storage, tv-out capable, touchscreen only), but they refused to even sell me one at a discount.

Edited by Somnia2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tedkord

Not to stir this pot any more, but I think I found some more info. The fellow who dissected his i920 was on the right track, but just got some of the OneNAND flash ID wrong. The part number for the 512 muxed OneNAND is KFM1216Q2B, not KFM1216028. Here's a .pdf on it, and a google search of that part number turns up oodles of links.

Samsung KFM1216Q2B .pdf

Google Search

It shows that, though it is flash memory, it has write protection on boot/shutdown. I'm now convinced that this 512mb flash chip is split between RAM and ROM, or as Samsung more accurately calls it, Program Memory and ROM. Flash isn't RAM, it's write times are slower. Sounds like a Samsung cost corner cut.

Edited by tedkord

I realize it's pretty late in the game, but my Verizon Executive rep kept me hanging on for a couple weeks before calling with the verdict this morning. After numerous call and emails (the vast majority of which were ignored) the South-eastern Executive rep informed me that they've looked into the matter and the information displayed on their website (208MB) is correct and any discrepancy is a result of RAM being used by the operating system. She said that based on the information available to her, she was declining my request for an early upgrade and as she put it "The matter is closed.". I politely explained that even Samsung acknowledged the problem by changing the amount of RAM on their site to 140MB (and I had screen shot as proof), but she refused to budge. I requested her supervisor's name and contact info, but I seriously doubt it will make a bit of difference.

Simply put, no problem exists if you choose to ignore it and Verizon is clearly sweeping this one under the rug.

Edited by ED2O9

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fire3element

Well back again guys. I have an update in the form of "Official Position" by way of Verizon Corp.

Yesterday (10/23/10), I received a call from the lady I had been dealing with in the Main Verizon Corporate Office somewhere in Atlanta, GA. Verizon's Official position on the "matter" is that the specs listed on the VerizonWireless.com website are correct. They refuse to take any action, regardless of all of the customers that were shafted. I am out over $300 for the phone, over half a year in time that I never used the phone, and the countless hours of time that I spent on the phone with both Samsung and Verizon. Oh and don't let me forget all the airtime minutes that I wasted on the phone. Think I will get those back? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

I will now move ahead with my plan to make a spectacle of Samsung for this nonsense and previous BS that I had to put up with. I currently do not have a FaceBook page or a Twitter account, but I will create them to aid my efforts to make know what under-handed, back-stabbing tactics Samsung practices in business. Verizon might very well catch some flak form this, but so be it. They have had their own foul intentioned practices that landed them in hot water long before this issue arrived. Don't forget the 5gb Data plan limits that were implemented after they sold you the UN-limited data package, and a multi-million dollar lawsuit followed. Verizon chose to not take any action in the i920 matter, and I spare no heart for their lack of concern.

For those who would like to voice your opinion to Verizon, they can be reached here:

1 Verizon Pl, Alpharetta, Georgia

678-339-4000

Now that is the main number. You will reach the operator by calling this number. Each important employee or department has its own number. The 678-339 is the same, but the last 4 digits are different. So 678-339-XXXX, where XXXX is replaced with a proper extension. Extensions do seem to be volatile, as many of the direct numbers I had have been changed in the last 1-2 months.

I do have the direct numbers to the employees that I dealt with, but as I promised, I will not reveal those #s or identities. I hope that this is well understood, as if you were in their position, you would not like to lose your job.

My current plan is to do a YouTube video, along with FaceBook and Twitter entries. I urge everyone here to do the same.

If we cause a big enough ruckus, there is sure to be a stirring in the sales camp of Samsung.

I did not come this far to be sit down and shut-up. I will make know what tactics Samsung uses to sell their products.

Edited by fire3element

Actually. This is a verizon issue. If you recall, Samsung had the ram advertised at 104 MB, and it wasn't until this was taken up with Verizon that they changed it to 208 MB. Obviously Verizon contacted them and at that point the change was made.Not to mention, Verizon sold the device But like you said, they've considered it case closed. Good luck.

In regards to the Fascinate, the reason I would take it over an Incredible is primarily the camera. I have two young daughters, and having a GOOD digital camera/camcorder always on my hip is invaluable. I realize that the Incredible has a 8MP camera, but it still not as nice at the 5MP on my O2 and the files take up less space. Also, compared side by side, the screen on the Incredible looks like garbage (as does the O2 screen). It's a nice size... bigger than the Incredible but it doesn't require cargo pants if you want to put it in your pocket like the Evo. The Bing issue is an unnecessary hassle, but it's already being addressed by Verizon and Samsung in the Android 2.2 update. Which brings me to why I would buy another Samsung phone after the Omnia 2 mess... it's a matter of consumer demand. When the Omnia 2 debuted with Verizon in early December of 2009, there were no ads or promos. The sales people didn't know anything about the phone, it wasn't even sold in most authorized Verizon dealer locations, and with two months the price was dropped to half the original price. It was one of the last of Verizon's Windows Mobile 6.x phones and it showed. All of their advertising money was going into the Droid campaign, and the resulting sales of the Omnia 2 reflected that. Just take a look at the number of customer reviews on Verizon's site. The Incredible has 2885 reviews, the DroidX has 2346. The Fascinate has only been out a couple weeks and it already has 150. Ten months after it's release, the Omnia 2 has 538.

If 2500 consumers complain about a product, it gets fixed. We're just a speck on Verizon's customer service radar. Yes... we did get screwed by a falsely advertised product and Verizon should compensate us, but they aren't going to pressure Samsung for a fix the way they would with a high profile product like the Fascinate.

Finally, within a day of the Fascinate's release, the guys at XDA Developers had it rooted (meaning it was cracked to modify it's most basic functions). If you don't like something about the phone, it's very likely that someone at XDA feels the same way and has developed a patch. From what I understand, the Motorola Droids can now be rooted, but they haven't been able to customize the ROMs yet. Meanwhile, it seems that the same kind of bloatware free ROMS we enjoy here will soon be available for the Fascinate. All in all, it seems to have the benefits of my O2, with a better screen, better hardware and a rapidly glowing developer base. If it doesn't crash whenever someone calls me when my GPS navigation app is running, it's a HUGE upgrade for me.

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. Good summary.