[RESOLVED] HELP please...r5 ROM was working very fine...until yest night...now it won't boot, won't restore...

Guest sean singh

Guest sean singh

Hi,

I am a noob (at least for flashing ROMs to my mobile). I rooted my HTC hero 2 weeks back and installed this ROM (r5-update-hero-modacocustomcustomrom-withadditions-signed) an I must say it was an incredible imporvement over my stock 1.5 that the phone shipped with. Thank you Paul for making this available to everyone. It was fast, snappy and had a better feel. And it didnt reboot on its own 25 times a day randomly like it used to . . .

I was very happy with it but yesterday evening after 2 weeks of using it I simply rebooted my hero . . . because I was not able to get the GPRS connection to start.

After the reboot it was stuck at the white 'HTC Hero Quietly Brilliant' splash screen for what seemed like a long time. After a few minutes the screen went blank and again it showed the 'HTC Hero Quietly Brilliant' splash screen and was again stuck there for a long time . . . this has been going on all night.

I tried rebooting with the Home and back key pressed and did a hard reset . . . but no difference. Its still stuck at the 'HTC Hero Quietly Brilliant' splash screen and wont go further.

And all this without any apparent reason.

Can anyone who knows please tell me what could be going on here and whats the best solution ?

Do I have to use the update.zip and install the ROM again ?

In that case whats the process for me ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sean.

PS: BTW must tell you that I didn't need a downgrade or a wipe because I was coming from a 2.73xxxx whatever and it happened smoothly.

Edited by sean singh

Guest toxic-hero

the last sentence says it all. wipe! reflash!

i'm a little bit sick of people asking for help but they haven't even wipe before flashing 2.1. it was written at least 1000 times everywhere on this forum: wipe before you flash 2.1 on 1.5 unless you want troubles. it's also smart to read all the instructions from the page where you've downloaded your rom.

i hope this would help you.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest sean singh
the last sentence says it all. wipe! reflash!

i'm a little bit sick of people asking for help but they haven't even wipe before flashing 2.1. it was written at least 1000 times everywhere on this forum: wipe before you flash 2.1 on 1.5 unless you want troubles. it's also smart to read all the instructions from the page where you've downloaded your rom.

i hope this would help you.

Thanks Toxic,

The reason I didn't wipe was because it was written explicitly and clearly in the instructions on the modaco page where I downloaded the ROM from that if I was running the version i was running, I did not need a wipe.

And moreover i used it for 2 weeks without a problem.

Anyway, while waiting for a reply I did wipe the phone and re-flashed with the same ROM but it didn't do me any good. When I was flashing it again I got the following message in the recovery console -

E:can't symlink /system/xbin/[

E:Failure at line 14:

symlink busybox SYSTEM:xbin/[

Installation aborted.

I tried to flash another ROM but still got almost the same.

Now I cannot boot into my system and cannot do a nandroid restore (because it says MD5 did not match)

Do you have any suggestions for me buddy ?

Thanks,

Sean.

Guest worcester4x4

I had a similar issue after flashing r5.

I resolved it by wiping the phone, I didn't need to reflash afterwards, it worked ok immediately.

Guest sean singh

UPDATE:

I tried a wipe again and flashing with a stock rom, just to see if it works, tried rooting it with HTC Generic 2.73.405.66 but got a similar error and installation aborted.

E:Can't symlink /system/bin/bugreport

E:Failure at line 4:

symlink dumpstate SYSTEM:bin/bugreport

Installation aborted.

I have a nandroid backup but cannot restore it because it checks for MD5 and says MD5 mismatch.

Paul, can you please help me . . . looks like I have rendered my phone useless through no fault of mine . . . all i did was reboot it when it was running so smoothly on the r5 rom . . .

Is there any solution for this ??

Please I'll be very grateful . . . i don't want to even think of a possibility of having to take this phone to HTC after rooting it . . . out here in India they won't entertain me . . .

Anyone please suggest some way . . . any way . . .

Thanks,

Sean.

UPDATE:

I tried a wipe again and flashing with a stock rom, just to see if it works, tried rooting it with HTC Generic 2.73.405.66 but got a similar error and installation aborted.

E:Can't symlink /system/bin/bugreport

E:Failure at line 4:

symlink dumpstate SYSTEM:bin/bugreport

Installation aborted.

I have a nandroid backup but cannot restore it because it checks for MD5 and says MD5 mismatch.

Paul, can you please help me . . . looks like I have rendered my phone useless through no fault of mine . . . all i did was reboot it when it was running so smoothly on the r5 rom . . .

Is there any solution for this ??

Please I'll be very grateful . . . i don't want to even think of a possibility of having to take this phone to HTC after rooting it . . . out here in India they won't entertain me . . .

Anyone please suggest some way . . . any way . . .

Thanks,

Sean.

Use your provider's RUU to flash the phone to a stock ROM for 1.5 and then root and install r5 to your phone.

Guest sean singh
Use your provider's RUU to flash the phone to a stock ROM for 1.5 and then root and install r5 to your phone.

Thanks Fyremoon,

Is that possible ?

Can you please tell me how to do that ? I rooted and flashed the r5 going by the guide step by step . . . basically I dont know how and where to get my provider's RUU (what is a RUU) and how to flash it to a stock rom.

Please tell me how to do this if you don't mind buddy.

Thanks,

Sean.

Guest sean singh

Hi Fyremoon,

I found this - RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2_73_405_5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver_exe

Is this the provider's RUU you spoke about ?

Also is it possible to run this exe from my PC while the phone is connected by USB EVEN IF I cannot boot into my phone ? My phone does not go beyond the splash screen now . . .

Thanks,

Sean.

Guest sean singh

Just what I thought . . . since my Hero cannot boot now . . . the PC cannot recognize it connected through USB . . . I tried connecting it while in recovery console . . . but it is not recognized . . . so i cannot use the "RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe" RUU . . .

Any suggestions please ?

Guest toxic-hero
Just what I thought . . . since my Hero cannot boot now . . . the PC cannot recognize it connected through USB . . . I tried connecting it while in recovery console . . . but it is not recognized . . . so i cannot use the "RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe" RUU . . .

Any suggestions please ?

did you use apps2sd? have you also wiped .ext partition?

Guest sean singh

Toxic,

I never used app2sd and hence I could never wipe the EXT partition because it always used to say . . . "couldnt find app2sd partition, skipping SD-EXT partition format"

Guest toxic-hero

i don't have any clue about what could be the reason to your issue but if i experienced this i would try two more things:

1. i would backup the data on my sd card to computer and than format it. than i'd flash the rom again.

and if this wouldn't work...

2. i would find a working nandroid backup of some hero rom (could be 2.1 or 1.5) somewhere on the net (i'd search xda forums), put it on my sd card and restore it. just be careful with this one, you have to trust the source of nandroid backup!!!

Guest sean singh

3 days and still sitting with a phone that doesnt boot and keeps looping forever . . .

cant change the crappy clockworkmod recovery because cant downgrade even using goldcard (tried 4 different RUUs, 5 different sdcards, 2 different ways of making goldcards and 3 different OSs but no use) obviously cant use flashrec . . .

cant restore nandroid backups because it keeps throwing MD5 mismatch . . .

cant flash another rom over it because it keeps throwing the 'cant symlink' error . . .

all thats left functional of my hero is a recovery console that is useless . . .

cant go forward cant go back cant use the phone and exhausted and frustrated if staying up anymore on forums because no one seems to know (including myself) what caused this and whats the solution . . .

Wish I had never rooted . . . at least I would have a phone that I could use to make calls, check emails and text messages . . . LOL

I can hear everyone here already saying there is always a warning that you could brick your phone before starting to root . . .

but if you read my post you will know that this happened without any apparent reason, randomly and if it can happen to me . . . . . .

when i bought my hero a few months back . . . it was USD 760 . . . hate to see it die like this . . .

Edited by sean singh

Guest sean singh
have you try what i suggested?

Yes buddy I did.

1. i would backup the data on my sd card to computer and than format it. than i'd flash the rom again.

Many times . . . no go . . .

2. i would find a working nandroid backup of some hero rom (could be 2.1 or 1.5) somewhere on the net (i'd search xda forums), put it on my sd card and restore it. just be careful with this one, you have to trust the source of nandroid backup!!!

couldn't find any . . .

Guest sean singh

I did it.

Got the latest RA hero 1.6.2 recovery installed.

Got a new shiny VillainROM 12.0.0 installed . . . its smooth as silk and fast.

Got nand backups which have a good md5sum (checked).

BTW Clockworkmod recovery is a crappy piece of software . . . before doing this just for fun I made 5 new backups . . . nandroid in clockworkmod generated wrong md5sums for each one of them.

Anyway, I was able to sort out all the issues . . . as always because of a hunch . . . and because of trying things on my own . . . . only regret is I wasted 3 days stumbling in the dark for something as frivolous as getting a phone to work again. Normally I would have been glad to pay someone to do it for me but it wasn't possible this time. But nevertheless found a very elegant, quick and a simple zen solution. Not to mention the experience in rooting HTC hero's . . . :)

If anyone has any similar problem, of the kind I faced, send me an IM or contact me on my email seansing at gmail and I will be glad to help you anyway I can. But I'm not sharing it here. Although i can . . . but I don't want to.

I don't like the attitude of people here towards newbies.

Sean.