J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
I'm from Ecuador, and I'm using your ROM. For me this is the best ROM. I've never saw a FC compared with the several I always got using FLB's ROMs. Right now I'm using J-Mod 1.3. Great work John, and I hope soon we can have apps2sd 2.7.5 finally added.

Regards,

Don't forget v1.4 is available for download now!

I'm determined to get 2.7.5.1 Final installed but it's going to take a while to do that as I stll have stuff to learn.

Guest visibleman

Really like J-Mod and have been using it for a while. It certainly seems to be a lot less bloated and overall a fair amount quicker than some of the ROMs and have yet to have any major issues. Quick question though, i'm currently running 1.2 - is it worth updating it to 1.4?

Guest JohnPorter
Really like J-Mod and have been using it for a while. It certainly seems to be a lot less bloated and overall a fair amount quicker than some of the ROMs and have yet to have any major issues. Quick question though, i'm currently running 1.2 - is it worth updating it to 1.4?

1.4 has the Swap Enabled Kernel and Swap turned on using A2SD Swap. Also it now is more "Vanilla", using the Stock Vanilla Launcher, Contacts and Looks. I'm running 1.4 and I must say that I am impressed with the speed and stability, although some may say that's a biased opinion as I'm the author.

I would say yes, it's worth upgrading.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest superfremo
Facebook is on the /data parition so it's easily removed. Setting -> Application -> Manage Applications, tap Facebook and then tap 'Uninstall'

thanks!!! I will install right now this rom! :)

Guest __Untitled

Hi John,

I have two questions for you about the ROM 1.4

1) I like black theme, so can I replace the /system/framework with the one in FLB 1.7?

2) I wanna remove some pre-installed apps, so is it safe to remove the following apps using root explorer?

/data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

/data/app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager.apk

/data/app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk

/data/app/Facebook_1.3.2.apk

/system/app/AlarmClock.apk

/system/app/AndroidTerm.apk

/system/app/Calculator.apk

/system/app/Email.apk

/system/app/EmotionClockWidget.apk

/system/app/Gallery.apk

/system/app/HTMLViewer.apk

/system/app/HuaweiSyncClient.apk

/system/app/HWDrmApp.apk

/system/app/HWTheme_Work.apk

/system/app/LatinIME.apk

/system/app/Music.apk

/system/app/MyBookmarks.apk

/system/app/MyCalendar.apk

/system/app/MyEvent.apk

/system/app/NotePad.apk

/system/app/NotificationReminder.apk

/system/app/ProjectMenuAct.apk

/system/app/SecurityResult.apk

/system/app/SoundRecorder.apk

/system/app/StaticPhotoFrame.apk

/system/app/Street.apk

/system/app/TouchPal.apk

/system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk

/system/app/YouTube.apk

/system/app/SetupWizard.apk

/system/app/SetupWizardEx.apk

Thanks.

Guest JohnPorter
Hi John,

I have two questions for you about the ROM 1.4

1) I like black theme, so can I replace the /system/framework with the one in FLB 1.7? - replace with the framework-res.apk from FLB

2) I wanna remove some pre-installed apps, so is it safe to remove the following apps using root explorer?

/data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps.apk - This is Google Maps - delete if you which

/data/app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager.apk - YES

/data/app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk - YES

/data/app/Facebook_1.3.2.apk - YES

/system/app/AlarmClock.apk - yes

/system/app/AndroidTerm.apk - yes

/system/app/Calculator.apk - yes

/system/app/Email.apk - at your own risk - believe is tied in with the system / setup wizard

/system/app/EmotionClockWidget.apk - yes

/system/app/Gallery.apk - yes

/system/app/HTMLViewer.apk - yes

/system/app/HuaweiSyncClient.apk ¬

/system/app/HWDrmApp.apk ¬

/system/app/HWTheme_Work.apk ¬

/system/app/LatinIME.apk --- at your own risk, not sure what these files are for

/system/app/Music.apk - yes

/system/app/MyBookmarks.apk - yes

/system/app/MyCalendar.apk - yes

/system/app/MyEvent.apk - yes

/system/app/NotePad.apk - yes

/system/app/NotificationReminder.apk - not sure, at your own risk

/system/app/ProjectMenuAct.apk - not sure, at your own risk

/system/app/SecurityResult.apk - not sure, at your own risk

/system/app/SoundRecorder.apk - yes

/system/app/StaticPhotoFrame.apk - yes

/system/app/Street.apk - yes

/system/app/TouchPal.apk - if you want to use the android keyboard or an alternative - yes

/system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk - not sure what this does - at your own risk

/system/app/YouTube.apk - yes

/system/app/SetupWizard.apk - at your own risk

/system/app/SetupWizardEx.apk - at your own risk

Thanks.

Guest __Untitled

My update-script:

delete DATA:app/com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

delete DATA:app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager.apk

delete DATA:app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk

delete DATA:app/Facebook_1.3.2.apk

copy_dir PACKAGE:data/app DATA:app

it does not remove any apps from my U8220, and no apps in the my package copied to /data/app folder, any idea?

Edited by __Untitled

Guest JohnPorter
My update-script:

delete DATA:app/com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

delete DATA:app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager.apk

delete DATA:app/com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus.apk

delete DATA:app/Facebook_1.3.2.apk

copy_dir PACKAGE:data/app DATA:app

it does not remove any apps from my U8220, and no apps in the my package copied to /data/app folder, any idea?

Just unzip the original zip file, manually delete the apks and add your own, re-sign and flash to your phone. Am sorry not fully affay with the update script.....

Guest __Untitled

so can it be fixed if I add set_perm 1000 1000 0771 DATA:app after the copy_dir? or before delete.

I tried to update the original zip file, and re-sign it, but after I flash the zip into my phone, it stop at boot animation, and cannot enter the system, not sure why.

Guest JohnPorter
so can it be fixed if I add set_perm 1000 1000 0771 DATA:app after the copy_dir? or before delete.

I tried to update the original zip file, and re-sign it, but after I flash the zip into my phone, it stop at boot animation, and cannot enter the system, not sure why.

Am afraid it's going to be trial and error with the update script. I'm still learning myself about that so at the moment I can't say whether it would work or not.

Is it at the J-MOD anitmation it gets stuck at or the Android logo? On first boot after the flash it does take a while to boot....

Are you wiping before you flash?

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest __Untitled
Am afraid it's going to be trial and error with the update script. I'm still learning myself about that so at the moment I can't say whether it would work or not.

Is it at the J-MOD anitmation it gets stuck at or the Android logo? On first boot after the flash it does take a while to boot....

stuck at the J-MOD anitmation, actually I replaced the anitmation with another one

yes, I am using clockworkmod recovery, and I select wipe data / factory reset before I flash the ROM

Guest JohnPorter

stuck at the J-MOD anitmation, actually I replaced the anitmation with another one

yes, I am using clockworkmod recovery, and I select wipe data / factory reset before I flash the ROM

How long do you wait?

Does the boot animation loop?

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest NetShadow

Only to say WOW.

Today I have decide that finally I need swap, and after playing with the custom roms provided on this forum I finally installed J-mod 1.4 and I must say WOW. Now I can not recognize my phone it is working like crazy now I can finally feel the android experience. Just keep the good work.

Guest JohnPorter
Maybe, I can try again if I got time, thank you.

Are you trying to create your own ROM for yourself or to release back to the community? If you want this just for yourself and you don't want to go through it all, then perhaps I could create a ROM for you?

Guest __Untitled
Are you trying to create your own ROM for yourself or to release back to the community? If you want this just for yourself and you don't want to go through it all, then perhaps I could create a ROM for you?

how nice you are for helping me so far. Thank you so much for your warm heart.

Actually, what I want is a simple, fast, robust and minimal android 2.1 system on my U8220 with black theme (Espresso MOD?) and without known issues.

The reason why I remove a lot pre-installed apps is that some of them are unuseful, some are blocked by the famous Great Firewall, and others I have replacement, such as openalarm, Lithium music player, Better terminal pro etc.

Guest JohnPorter
how nice you are for helping me so far. Thank you so much for your warm heart.

Actually, what I want is a simple, fast, robust and minimal android 2.1 system on my U8220 with black theme (Espresso MOD?) and without known issues.

The reason why I remove a lot pre-installed apps is that some of them are unuseful, some are blocked by the famous Great Firewall, and others I have replacement, such as openalarm, Lithium music player, Better terminal pro etc.

OK, let me know what you want to do and I'll try to help as much as I can.

Could somone be kind enough to post a couple screen shots of J-MOD please.

I might try this out, but would like to see the visuals before doing this.

Thankyou

Guest JohnPorter

I will get some upload tonight for you, but this looks like Stock Android, has the Stock Launcher, Stock Framework (or close to it anyway) and the Stock Contacts installed.

I will get some upload tonight for you, but this looks like Stock Android, has the Stock Launcher, Stock Framework (or close to it anyway) and the Stock Contacts installed.

Thanks John