J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Pulse Custom ROM

Current Version: v1.0 Release Date: 15.08.2010

I would like to introduce you all to Pulse Custom ROM. After using Flibblesan's FLB-MOD for a while and genuinely been interested in creating ROMs I decided to have a go at creating my own ROM that suits my own needs. This ROM has been built to suit my needs so it may not include apps you want or need, so please bear that in mind. I have decided to release this back to the community where I have learnt so much.

The ROM is based on Community Custom ROM r2a created Flibblesan.

Before I give details of the ROM, I want to give credit to the people who deserve it:

Credit goes to Flibblesan for the work on Community Custom ROM and FLB MOD.

Credit also goes to Ogiogi for the work done on the Expresso MOD v1.2.

Credit goes to dogde-167 and flip360 for the work done on the Expresso Themed Stock Android Launcher.

Requirements:

You must have updated your device to the T-Mobile UK Android 2.1 officially first, with ClockworkMod Recovery installed second.

Initial Version:

• Based on Community Custom ROM Version r2a
  • Canvas launcher replaced with Android Stock Launcher (Expresso Themed version)
  • Huawei Dialer & Contacts added
  • Expresso v1.2 Theme added as default
  • Documents to Go & RoadSync removed
  • SIM Toolkit removed

Download: Here

home.pngdialer.pngappdrawer_open.png

i need help,uk official 2.1 have file"dload" in your custom rom is "boot.img" i dont know what to do. sorry if question is stupid,plesae help,thanks

Guest JohnPorter

@tunat:

Have you installed the Recovery Option after you updated to UK 2.1?

The ROM is about to be re-named and re-uploaded so not sure if you want to wait for the new version before upgrading to this ROM

If not, then you need to do that. Click here to download Clockwork Recovery.

1.Connect the USB cable to your PC and the opposite end to your U8220 and install the drivers. Once this is complete, move onto the next step.

2.Re-boot your phone into "FastBoot" mode. Do this by turning off your phone, then press and hold the {VOLUME DOWN} and {END CALL} buttons together and turn your phone on. You should be presented with a blue screen if this was successful. If not, repeat the process till you are.

3.On your PC extract the contents of the archive you downloaded containing the Recovery Option and browse to that location.

4.Double-click on "install-recovery-windows.bat". You will a command window open which will eventually ask you to press any key to continue. Check the screen output to make sure that the line beginning with "writing....." ends with "OKAY" If that is present, you have successfully installed the recovery option.

5.Re-boot your device. Unfortunately you can't use the power button to turn the device off, you have to remove the back cover and remove the battery and re-insert it again. Your phone should now reboot normally.

6.Re-boot your phone into "Recovery Mode" mode. There are two methods of doing this depending on how your device is configured. If you have "Quick Boot" installed, the launch that application and select "Recovery". If not, turn your device off, then press and hold the {MENU} and {END CALL} buttons together and turn your phone on.

7.Select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" from the menu, you will be asked to confirm this action.

8.Select "Advanced" option and then select "Wipe Dalvik Cache", again you will be asked to confirm this action.

9.Navigate back to the main menu and select "Partitions Menu" and then select "Mount USB Storage".

10.On your PC, browse to the location you downloaded the ROM to and copy file to your device. Do NOT extract the files.

11.On your device, select "Unmount" and navigate back to the main menu.

12.Select "Install Zip from SDCARD" and then select "Choose Zip from SCDCARD".

13.Navigate to and select the file you've just copied over. Unless you have renamed it, this should be called j-modvx.x.zip, where x.x is the version number. You will be asked if you want to continue.

14.After the flashing of the file, reboot your device by selecting "Reboot System Now".

See this guide for the basics of installing custom ROMs to your mobile.

Edited by JohnPorter

@tunat:

Have you installed the Recovery Option after you updated to UK 2.1?

The ROM is about to be re-named and re-uploaded so not sure if you want to wait for the new version before upgrading to this ROM

If not, then you need to do that. Click here to download Clockwork Recovery.

1.Connect the USB cable to your PC and the opposite end to your U8220 and install the drivers. Once this is complete, move onto the next step.

2.Re-boot your phone into "FastBoot" mode. Do this by turning off your phone, then press and hold the {VOLUME DOWN} and {END CALL} buttons together and turn your phone on. You should be presented with a blue screen if this was successful. If not, repeat the process till you are.

3.On your PC extract the contents of the archive you downloaded containing the Recovery Option and browse to that location.

4.Double-click on "install-recovery-windows.bat". You will a command window open which will eventually ask you to press any key to continue. Check the screen output to make sure that the line beginning with "writing....." ends with "OKAY" If that is present, you have successfully installed the recovery option.

5.Re-boot your device. Unfortunately you can't use the power button to turn the device off, you have to remove the back cover and remove the battery and re-insert it again. Your phone should now reboot normally.

6.Re-boot your phone into "Recovery Mode" mode. There are two methods of doing this depending on how your device is configured. If you have "Quick Boot" installed, the launch that application and select "Recovery". If not, turn your device off, then press and hold the {MENU} and {END CALL} buttons together and turn your phone on.

7.Select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" from the menu, you will be asked to confirm this action.

8.Select "Advanced" option and then select "Wipe Dalvik Cache", again you will be asked to confirm this action.

9.Navigate back to the main menu and select "Partitions Menu" and then select "Mount USB Storage".

10.On your PC, browse to the location you downloaded the ROM to and copy file to your device. Do NOT extract the files.

11.On your device, select "Unmount" and navigate back to the main menu.

12.Select "Install Zip from SDCARD" and then select "Choose Zip from SCDCARD".

13.Navigate to and select the file you've just copied over. Unless you have renamed it, this should be called pulsecustomromvx.x.zip, where x is the version number. You will be asked if you want to continue.

14.After the flashing of the file, reboot your device by selecting "Reboot System Now".

See this guide for the basics of installing custom ROMs to your mobile.

ok thanks i tried

Guest JohnPorter

Decided on J-MOD. Currently re-branding now. Will update thread in a short while, need to test it first.

ROM renamed to J-MOD. See first post.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest muddyfox470

Hey John,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I have yet to try it but just a couple of questions to clarify before I try it out, if you don't mind.

• Which FLB mod did you use as a basis, I was amazed to find it had evolved to 1.31 recently!
  • You don't use LauncherPro, I recollect you writing, but is it a simple affair to change?
  • Does the ROM include the Apps2SD application, or will this need to be installed independently?
  • The requirement to have the UK 2.1 installation, does this reduce the ROM size by 10mb hence making a little more available for storage? I'm a little confused on this point.

I'm looking forward to using yours as it's nice to take it back to basics, keep it fast then add what you want.

Guest DanWilson
Hey John,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I have yet to try it but just a couple of questions to clarify before I try it out, if you don't mind.

• Which FLB mod did you use as a basis, I was amazed to find it had evolved to 1.31 recently!
  • You don't use LauncherPro, I recollect you writing, but is it a simple affair to change?
  • Does the ROM include the Apps2SD application, or will this need to be installed independently?
  • The requirement to have the UK 2.1 installation, does this reduce the ROM size by 10mb hence making a little more available for storage? I'm a little confused on this point.

I'm looking forward to using yours as it's nice to take it back to basics, keep it fast then add what you want.

1. I believe he used Community Custom ROM r2a created by Flibblesan.

2. Yes, just install it from the market, hold home, select Remember (I can't remember the exact words) and LauncherPro.

3. It should do, since it's based on the Community ROM.

4. The official UK ROM reduces the /system partition by 10MB (Meaning less system apps) and put that 10MB in the /data partition (For your market apps) This ROM will be compatible with the Hungarian Update and the Tre update (as well as other 2.1 UPDATAs).

Hope I helped

Guest JohnPorter
Hey John,

Well DanWilson answered the questions for me. I do plan additional add-ons later on to allow people to install an alternative launcher. But I want to do some more work on the ROM first.

It does use Apps2SD!

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
Excellent! I was hoping somebody would work with the UK 2.1 ROM and make something nice. Good luck :D

Thanks Flibblesan, I created this for myself originally, but then had a thought to release to the community where I've learnt so much from. You did great work on the Community Custom ROM, which this one is based on.

Well DanWilson answered the questions for me. I do plan additional add-ons later on to allow people to install an alternative launcher. But I want to do some more work on the ROM first.

It does use Apps2SD!

me again

apps2sd dont work (i have partioned sd card ext2 or3,dont remeber,with partition manager),files store on phone memory,can you help me again?

Guest Daz555
me again

apps2sd dont work (i have partioned sd card ext2 or3,dont remeber,with partition manager),files store on phone memory,can you help me again?

Describe how you set up the partitions. Also how have you confirmed that a2sd is not working?

Guest JohnPorter
me again

This could be one of two reasons.

The first one been that Apps2SD is working but because the Dalvik Cache is still using the internal memory of the phone. This will be the case if you have a Class 2 SD Card as these are not fast enough to have the Dalvik Cache on. If you install apps in this scenario then your phone memory will continue to decrease.

The secound reason is like you said it doesn't work but we need to find out if this is the case.

I'm not sure how to use ADB to check this, so download a terminal emulator from the Market and launch this and then enter the following 2 commands:

su {enter}

a2sd check {enter}

A lot of text should be outputed to your screen, something like below, look for the lines in bold and report back to what it says.

a2sd check

Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 update 1

[ ] Mounting /system as read-write

[ ] Mounting /data as read-write

[ ] Starting A2SD in check mode

[ ] Running A2SD Check Program.

[ ] Searching for Mount Point...

[!] Mount point found..no further action required.

[ ] Checking for ext partition

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0

[*] Ext partition found and already mounted.

[ ] Checking A2SD links.

A2SD Status Report

===============================================================

Apps - [*] Linked to SD Card.

[*] File .noa2sd not found.

[*] Programs run from SD card

To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove

Private Apps - [*] Linked to SD Card.

[*] Private Programs run from SD card

Dalvik Cache - [*] Linked to SD Card.

[*] File .dalvikcache found.

[*] Dalvik runs from SD card

To run from internal storage, type a2sd nocache

Swap - [!] Partition not present.

[!] Swap does not start.

ZipAlign - [*] Running at boot.

Property Patch - Property found.

cm.filesystem.ready or dc.filesystem.ready

[*] Boot image init.rc patched.

---------------

John

Edited by JohnPorter

Describe how you set up the partitions. Also how have you confirmed that a2sd is not working?

in partition manager - 4gb fat32 sd card,make partition of 500mb in ext2

now i have 3300mb fat32 and 500mb ext2

i install copilot (for test) and after installing phone memory gone down for 7-8-mb(from49mb to 41mb),sd card memory remaining the same

i install custom rom 2.1 yesterday from john porter(j-mod)in post say "It does use Apps2SD!"

This could be one of two reasons.

The first one been that Apps2SD is working but because the Dalvik Cache is still using the internal memory of the phone. This will be the case if you have a Class 2 SD Card as these are not fast enough to have the Dalvik Cache on. If you install apps in this scenario then your phone memory will continue to decrease.

The secound reason is like you said it doesn't work but we need to find out if this is the case.

I'm not sure how to use ADB to check this, so download a terminal emulator from the Market and launch this and then enter the following 2 commands:

su {enter}

a2sd check {enter}

A lot of text should be outputed to your screen, something like below, look for the lines in bold and report back to what it says.

a2sd check

Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 update 1

[ ] Mounting /system as read-write

[ ] Mounting /data as read-write

[ ] Starting A2SD in check mode

[ ] Running A2SD Check Program.

[ ] Searching for Mount Point...

[!] Mount point found..no further action required.

[ ] Checking for ext partition

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0

[*] Ext partition found and already mounted.

[ ] Checking A2SD links.

A2SD Status Report

===============================================================

Apps - [*] Linked to SD Card.

[*] Programs run from SD card

Private Apps - [*] Linked to SD Card.

[*] Private Programs run from SD card

Dalvik Cache - [*] Linked to SD Card.

[*] File .dalvikcache found.

[*] Dalvik runs from SD card

To run from internal storage, type a2sd nocache

Swap - [!] Partition not present.

[!] Swap does not start.

ZipAlign - [*] Running at boot.

Property Patch - Property found.

cm.filesystem.ready or dc.filesystem.ready

[*] Boot image init.rc patched.

---------------

John

thanks im going to try

Guest JohnPorter
in partition manager - 4gb fat32 sd card,make partition of 500mb in ext2

now i have 3300mb fat32 and 500mb ext2

i install copilot (for test) and after installing phone memory gone down for 7-8-mb(from49mb to 41mb),sd card memory remaining the same

i install custom rom 2.1 yesterday from john porter(j-mod)in post say "It does use Apps2SD!"

That will always stay the same....the phone doesn't show how space is used on the ext partition only the FAT32 Partition.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
pulseo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OK, the characters are missing, but that to me still says Apps2SD is still working and it's like I said, Dalvik Cache is still using the Internal Memory.

If you look at the lines:

[]Programs run from SD Card

To run from internal memory type a2sd remove

[]Private Programs run from SD Card 

These are the lines that indicate to me that it is working.

Another thing you can do to check that I do is install eStrongs File Explorer or Root Explorer and browse to /system/sd/app, if there are apps in there then assume it's working.

If my memory serves me right, CoPilot is strange in that I think it stores the App on the card but the data using the internal memory, don't quote me on this, I'm sure someone will confirm this.

OK, the characters are missing, but that to me still says Apps2SD is still working and it's like I said, Dalvik Cache is still using the Internal Memory.

If you look at the lines:

[]Programs run from SD Card

[]Private Programs run from SD Card 

These are the lines that indicate to me that it is working.

Another thing you can do to check that I do is install eStrongs File Explorer or Root Explorer and browse to /system/sd/app, if there are apps in there then assume it's working.

If my memory serves me right, CoPilot is strange in that I think it stores the App on the card but the data using the internal memory, don't quote me on this, I'm sure someone will confirm this.

for testing i insatll facebook(1.97mb), on phone 53,63mb, after install on phone is 52,57mb???

i look in system/sd/app and there is facebook and more others apps,so why i'm loosing mb's in phone?

Edited by tunat

Guest JohnPorter
for testing i insatll facebook(1.97mb), on phone 53,63mb, after install on phone is 52,57mb???

i look in system/sd/app and there is facebook and more others apps,so why i'm loosing mb's in phone?

Because Dalvik Cache is still on the Internal Storage. What class SD Card do you have? If it's Class 4 then you can move the cache to the SD Card as well which would solve your issue. If you have a class 4 SD Card, run a terminal emulator and run the following: (can be done thrugh adb but I'm not sure hpw to do it that way)

su {enter}

a2sd cachesd {enter}

Reboot your phone.

If your SD card is below Class 4 then doing this would slow down your phone possibly making it unusable.

i have that rom

Yes, we know your using this ROM.