J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest twrock
If anyone has any links to material I should be reading then please don't hesitate to post them here.

John, I tried out your ROM and it is quite nice. I like lots of the stock stuff, so this feels good to me. I don't like the music player, mostly because of the horrid, oversized widget. So I pushed a different one on there with a simple 4x1 widget. YMMV.

I had the same problem as tunat with the terminal emulator not working and needing to use the other. I pushed some other stuff on to it as well, but that was all personal preference, and probably nothing you (or 99.v9% of the rest of the people here) would be interested in.

I like the choice of stock Launcher over Canvas (way overblown). I might replace it with ADW, but only if it is just as quick. I like the choice of Contacts/Dialer too.

But my biggest complaint so far is the Launcher reloading issue. Did you try to make any adjustments to that? If not, you can consider it. You can read about it here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1298152. I made the change myself, and so far, I'm very happy with the outcome.

Apps2SD and cache2SD are working well. I started with the Tre ROM, not the UK ROM, and apparently no issues there either.

Guest JohnPorter
John, I tried out your ROM and it is quite nice. I like lots of the stock stuff, so this feels good to me. I don't like the music player, mostly because of the horrid, oversized widget. So I pushed a different one on there with a simple 4x1 widget. YMMV.

I had the same problem as tunat with the terminal emulator not working and needing to use the other. I pushed some other stuff on to it as well, but that was all personal preference, and probably nothing you (or 99.v9% of the rest of the people here) would be interested in.

I like the choice of stock Launcher over Canvas (way overblown). I might replace it with ADW, but only if it is just as quick. I like the choice of Contacts/Dialer too.

But my biggest complaint so far is the Launcher reloading issue. Did you try to make any adjustments to that? If not, you can consider it. You can read about it here: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1298152. I made the change myself, and so far, I'm very happy with the outcome.

Apps2SD and cache2SD are working well. I started with the Tre ROM, not the UK ROM, and apparently no issues there either.

I will look at the Launcher reloading issue. v1.1 is coming over the next couple of days which will solve the terminal emulator issue.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter

Can't find local.prop in data/local? all thats there is resolv.conf, there is a local.prop in system/cust/t-mobile/uk and system/cust/hw/default which one do I use?

Guest Simon O
Can't find local.prop in data/local? all thats there is resolv.conf, there is a local.prop in system/cust/t-mobile/uk and system/cust/hw/default which one do I use?

Edit all the local.prop files contained in /system/cust/ with the same fix.

Guest twrock
Edit all the local.prop files contained in /system/cust/ with the same fix.

Curiosity here. Since I never could get to the local.prop file, I put it into build.prop. Seems to work just fine there. Any reason to do it any different?

Guest Simon O
Curiosity here. Since I never could get to the local.prop file, I put it into build.prop. Seems to work just fine there. Any reason to do it any different?

Probably not. I didn't know it could be added to build.prop

Guest JohnPorter

Probably not. I didn't know it could be added to build.prop

I've added it to the all the local.prop's in system/cust as flibblesan suggested, now do I included it in build.prop too?

Going to test this tonight and tomorrow, if this works then I'll release the update tomorrow evening.

Guest twrock
I've added it to the all the local.prop's in system/cust as flibblesan suggested, now do I included it in build.prop too?

I doubt it, but I'm just guessing at this point. You'll know if it "sticks" if you issue the command

getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ

and it returns the value of 1.

Fibblesan, bounty123 was the one who suggested it could go into build.prop as an alternate. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing here, but I can follow instructions if they are detailed enough. :D

Just my "feeling" at the moment, but my phone does seem to work smoother and quicker with the stock launcher. The "extras" of ADW or LauncherPro are nice, but I can do without those if it is quicker and smoother. As always, YMMV.

I've been running J-Mod for most of the day and I've done a lot of "modding" of it myself. Seems to be working pretty nice for me still. Maybe the CCR is a nice starting point to build other ROMs. I was going to start from that as well to see what I could build to fit my own preferences, but starting with what John has done saved me some time and made it easier. I think I'll take some time tomorrow to learn how to replace the boot animation. T-Mo pink is not my cup of tea. :D

Edited by twrock

Guest JohnPorter
I doubt it, but I'm just guessing at this point. You'll know if it "sticks" if you issue the command

getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ

and it returns the value of 1.

Fibblesan, bounty123 was the one who suggested it could go into build.prop as an alternate. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing here, but I can follow instructions if they are detailed enough. :D

Just my "feeling" at the moment, but my phone does seem to work smoother and quicker with the stock launcher. The "extras" of ADW or LauncherPro are nice, but I can do without those if it is quicker and smoother. As always, YMMV.

I've been running J-Mod for most of the day and I've done a lot of "modding" of it myself. Seems to be working pretty nice for me still. Maybe the CCR is a nice starting point to build other ROMs. I was going to start from that as well to see what I could build to fit my own preferences, but starting with what John has done saved me some time and made it easier. I think I'll take some time tomorrow to learn how to replace the boot animation. T-Mo pink is not my cup of tea. :D

Next version of J-MOD has it's own boot animation. If you want to let me know what mods you've done then maybe I can include some of them into this ROM. Obviously I'm not going add all the apps that people use.

Guest JohnPorter

I'm getting a bit confused. I haven't had time to test the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ flag as yet because I am at work, although I compiled a new version during my lunch.

As suggested by flibblesan, I added the line to the local.prop in system/cust/t-mobile and system/hw/default, twrock has added it to his build.prop file. However, I've run the following:

getprop rs.HOME_APP_ADJ

and get the value 4 returned, does this mean it's already been set somewhere or if it's not in any of the config files it's automatically set to 4?

Doing a search on google, some say this setting is in init.rc?

last two days non stop fc!!!(j-mod)

i think bicose gps...i dont know...i install sygenic and work beautiful 45seconds with gps on.if gps is turned off, work 2 minuts then fc...

everything go fc,if gps on-off,wi-fi on-off..

i cant use phone for 5minutes - fc!

why......?????!!!!

(fc started before install sygenic,1-2 time in one day)

Edited by tunat

Guest JohnPorter
last two days non stop fc!!!(j-mod)

i think bicose gps...i dont know...i install sygenic and work beautiful 45seconds with gps on.if gps is turned off, work 2 minuts then fc...

everything go fc,if gps on-off,wi-fi on-off..

i cant use phone for 5minutes - fc!

why......?????!!!!

(fc started before install sygenic,1-2 time in one day)

I will need time to investigate this, I've used this rom since 10th August with no FCs or anything appearing to be wrong. What software have you installed within the last two days?

Guest twrock
I'm getting a bit confused. I haven't had time to test the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ flag as yet because I am at work, although I compiled a new version during my lunch.

As suggested by flibblesan, I added the line to the local.prop in system/cust/t-mobile and system/hw/default, twrock has added it to his build.prop file. However, I've run the following:

getprop rs.HOME_APP_ADJ

and get the value 4 returned, does this mean it's already been set somewhere or if it's not in any of the config files it's automatically set to 4?

Doing a search on google, some say this setting is in init.rc?

I might not be understanding you, so if this doesn't make sense, that's the likely reason. :D :D

If you do not tweak this setting by adding the line to one of the appropriate settings files, it is preset to 4. (That means that launcher will get dumped out of memory fairly quickly if the system is looking to regain some memory to do something else.) I believe you will need to reboot after adding that line, or it won't get set to 1. (I believe 1 is the most persistent setting short of "never dump this app", which is the 0 setting.)

All I know is that it works to put it into build.prop. And I can easily copy my build.prop, edit it, and push it back into ROM, without jumping through the hoops of figuring out how to get at the stuff in the data partition (which seems at least a little more complicated to me at this point). So that's where I do it. It might not be the "correct" spot, but it's what I got to work back on 1.5, so I did it again in 2.1 and got the same results.

At least for me, the results are dramatic! I don't know how much negative affect it has on the rest of the system to make the launcher that persistent, but it seems worth it to me. I hate having to wait for launcher to reload. Maybe that is also why I think the stock launcher is the most stable. Maybe it is just small enough to avoid getting pushed out of RAM as often as the "bigger" launchers. But I'm just guessing at all of this. IANAHacker. ;)

As always, YMMV.

(Sorry if I missed the meaning of your question.)

Oh, and regarding my "mods", almost all of those have to do with specific apps that I prefer some other version of and also the addition of Chinese language handwriting recognition added to it. So they aren't the kinds of things that you'd want to change about your ROM, since most of what you are doing is because you prefer those things for your own phone, and I just prefer something else. (Isn't opensource great?!!!)

Edited by twrock

Guest JohnPorter
I might not be understanding you, so if this doesn't make sense, that's the likely reason. :D :D

If you do not tweak this setting by adding the line to one of the appropriate settings files, it is preset to 4. (That means that launcher will get dumped out of memory fairly quickly if the system is looking to regain some memory to do something else.) I believe you will need to reboot after adding that line, or it won't get set to 1. (I believe 1 is the most persistent setting short of "never dump this app", which is the 0 setting.)

All I know is that it works to put it into build.prop. And I can easily copy my build.prop, edit it, and push it back into ROM, without jumping through the hoops of figuring out how to get at the stuff in the data partition (which seems at least a little more complicated to me at this point). So that's where I do it. It might not be the "correct" spot, but it's what I got to work back on 1.5, so I did it again in 2.1 and got the same results.

At least for me, the results are dramatic! I don't know how much negative affect it has on the rest of the system to make the launcher that persistent, but it seems worth it to me. I hate having to wait for launcher to reload. Maybe that is also why I think the stock launcher is the most stable. Maybe it is just small enough to avoid getting pushed out of RAM as often as the "bigger" launchers. But I'm just guessing at all of this. IANAHacker. ;)

As always, YMMV.

(Sorry if I missed the meaning of your question.)

Oh, and regarding my "mods", almost all of those have to do with specific apps that I prefer some other version of and also the addition of Chinese language handwriting recognition added to it. So they aren't the kinds of things that you'd want to change about your ROM, since most of what you are doing is because you prefer those things for your own phone, and I just prefer something else. (Isn't opensource great?!!!)

I now have it enabled in v1.1 which is one my phone at moment and seems to be working fine and a lil bit snappier than what it was before. I'm going to test till tomorrow evening, if everything is still okay then I will upload the newer version.

Guest flip360

hello JP, i kinda unpacked your rom, replaced some apk`s and deleted some , repacked the whole thing and suprisingly it works rock solid without any fc`s (i was getting a keyboard fc on flb 1.4.1 and general laginess). Also the free RAM is somewhere in the 40Mb mark. I am using LauncherPro, Genie Widget and Digital Clock by Maize. If there is anything i can help with please let me know,

cheers

Edited by flip360

Guest JohnPorter
hello JP, i kinda unpacked your rom, replaced some apk`s and deleted some , repacked the whole thing and suprisingly it works rock solid without any fc`s (i was getting a keyboard fc on flb 1.4.1 and general laginess). Also the free RAM is somewhere in the 40Mb mark. I am using LauncherPro, Genie Widget and Digital Clock by Maize. If there is anything i can help with please let me know,

cheers

Cool, thanks for the comments.

Guest twrock
v1.1 Released. See first post.

Thanks for the update. I installed it with wiping cache only. (Actually, I first moved cache back to the internal memory, then wiped cache before upgrading.) That way I saved all my installed apps, etc.

Looks like the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 tweak did not work. I'm getting the value 4 returned when I check. You might want to see if you get the same results.

Otherwise, still looks stable to me. Now, on to my other tweaks....... :huh:

I'm thinking the CCR rom really is a good place to start with building other custom roms. I'm not sure if there really is any memory management differences from other stock roms, but it seems to be the most stable one I've used yet.

Guest JohnPorter
Thanks for the update. I installed it with wiping cache only. (Actually, I first moved cache back to the internal memory, then wiped cache before upgrading.) That way I saved all my installed apps, etc.

Looks like the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 tweak did not work. I'm getting the value 4 returned when I check. You might want to see if you get the same results.

Otherwise, still looks stable to me. Now, on to my other tweaks....... :huh:

I'm thinking the CCR rom really is a good place to start with building other custom roms. I'm not sure if there really is any memory management differences from other stock roms, but it seems to be the most stable one I've used yet.

I'm getting the value 1 returned here. It's set in the local.prop file, I'll add it to the build.prop file and test it again. Will post another update later if I get the time.

Guest twrock
I'm getting the value 1 returned here. It's set in the local.prop file, I'll add it to the build.prop file and test it again. Will post another update later if I get the time.

Maybe because I didn't wipe everything? Hmm, that doesn't make sense since I had it set at 1. :huh: Oh well, I know how to work with it either way.

Guest JohnPorter

I couldn't agree more. J-MOD has been nothing but stable on my pulse, apart from the first attempt at getting the terminal emulater working not been right, never had a fc or anything like that.

Community Custom ROM is stable and J-MOD is because of that too. But saying that I've not had any issues with the versions of FLB-MOD I've used in that past either

Guest muddyfox470

John,

I am currently on FLB 1.41 still with the SWE T-Mobile 2.1 update. How do I upgrade to UK 2.1 first before getting yours on my pulse, thats the only that has been stopping me from tearing this apart and seeing how stable it really is :huh:

Does yours implement A2SD as well?

Regards,

EDIT: Just managed to get it updating now, before it wouldnt recognise the package, will be on J-MOD 1.1 soon ;)

Edited by muddyfox470

Guest JohnPorter
John,

I am currently on FLB 1.41 still with the SWE T-Mobile 2.1 update. How do I upgrade to UK 2.1 first before getting yours on my pulse, thats the only that has been stopping me from tearing this apart and seeing how stable it really is :huh:

Does yours implement A2SD as well?

Regards,

EDIT: Just managed to get it updating now, before it wouldnt recognise the package, will be on J-MOD 1.1 soon ;)

Yes, it does implement Apps2SD.

You would need to obtain a copy of the offical UK 2.1 update, unfortunately T-Mobile have removed this from their website for some reason at the moment, Ill upload it to my dropbox and post a link in the first post. twrock has got it working with the TRE update so you could give that a go.

Guest JohnPorter

Link to download T-Mobile UK 2.1 Update added to the first post.

Doh! Missed mt 100th Post! :huh:

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest twrock

I have never installed the UK update, and I can use this ROM. I started with the Swedish Tre ROM as my base 2.1 update, and this rom (and every other modified ROM I've tried) works just fine. As always, YMMV.