19/Aug - Streak 2.1 downloads / how-tos (ROM / Superboot / Recovery)

Guest PaulOBrien

This topic is the place to find everything you need to upgrade your streak to version 2.1! I've successfully updated both an O2 streak and a direct-from-Dell-UK red streak. :D

ALL FILES BELOW ARE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Enjoy! :D

P

ROM download

About

This is the main Android 2.1 ROM download. ;)

Download

• Build 8105 (intended for O2 devices, can be applied to generic UK devices using the guide below) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 398c9b72837bf042c76562b5ec9bf96c
  • Build 8023 (intended for O2 devices, can be applied to generic UK devices using the guide below) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 0035768dcfbe73d7598a3f78a5899f37
  • Build 6941 (intended for O2 devices, can be applied to generic UK devices using the guide below) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 69632bb5b1c8e5bc4ffc2333f2a38998
    • Stock recovery (build 4399) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 1211852b3cea6f3610931f99d477ff5e
      • Download the pkg file above and copy it to your microSD card named 'update.pkg'.
      • ONLY if you have flashed a custom recovery image OR if you are using a non O2 supplied device (e.g. from Dell directly), you need to revert to a stock recovery image by carrying out the following steps:
        • Download the stock recovery image above and extract to a directory
        • Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)
        • WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'
        • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'
        • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

• Power on your device with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons pressed. This will give you a menu, where the second option is 'Apply update.pkg from SD card' Select this option (using volume keys and camera button to select).
        • When this process completes, your upgrade is done!

About

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK by ChainsDD). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

Download

Before download, you should check your device's 'about' screen to determine which build number you are running. Although the Superboot may work on other builds than that for which it was designed, I cannot guarantee that!

• r1 for build 6941 - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: c4e7708d4c78e5b3d6d85aeff3a1356b
          • How to install

[*]Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

[*]Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

[*]WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

[*]MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

[*]LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

[*]That's it, you're done!

Recovery images

About

The custom recovery allows you to do all sorts of lovely things such as installing ROM update zips (for custom ROMs), wiping various parts of the device, backing up, restoring and much more.

Download

[*]Koush's recovery 2.0.5.1 repack for 2.1 devices - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 948e19055762737366dd0347c0e1b734

[*]Stock recovery (as shipped with build 6941) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 2fecd8e5266da024af4c3a26939ae6a8

How to install

[*]Download the recovery image zip file above and extract to a directory

[*]Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

[*]WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

[*]MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'

[*]LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

[*]That's it, you're done!

To enter recovery mode, turn your device on with 'volume down' and 'volume up' both pressed.

Update: The stock 2.1 build has a built in mechanism that is overwriting the stock recovery image. To disable this, with your device booted and rooted, enter the following at a command prompt (in the directory where you extracted the zip above) before re-flashing the recovery image using the instructions above:

su
                  mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system && rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh && mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system
                  exit
                  exit
                  adb-windows shell (or adb-linux shell or adb-mac shell)

Guest bostonguy

Paul (or any other smart guys),

First i want to thank you (and all the helpful folks) here for all the help you guys provide to us phone modders/hackers. You guys are awesome and really do a great job helping us all get these things done up right.

(there, feel sufficiently buttered up?)

:D

So I'm going to ask a couple very noob type questions, that I'm sure if I read deeply enough here and on other sites (XDA comes to mind) I'd figure out for myself, but I'm going to ask anyway. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask for "simple" tutorial-like questions

I'm a Windows guy. I've been in the PC support/engineering business for what seems like a lifetime (because it has been lol) and been hacking/flashing phone ROM's (G1 way back when, lots of HTC WinMo's, etc) for a while now. I also just successfully flashed my new AT&T Streak to 2.1 (using your and others guides here - thanks again) but need something clarified for me if you could.

As a way to understand how this all fits together, can you help me understand what the "recovery images" are exactly, and how they function/compare to say a Windows PC boot/OS?

In other words, as I understand it, the recovery images are part of the "pre-boot" process sort of like the BIOS in PC, which launches/boots the real OS (or the hard drive in my comparison) actual ROM image. So a custom recovery image is like an enhanced BIOS that let's you better manipulate to some degree, the boot process, flash the new (or custom/modified) ROM's (hard drives) much easier, etc? Also when you do flash the recovery image it doesn't wipe your ROM/OS (hard drive) image at all.

I'll then go out on a limb (if I'm wrong so far it's going to be a pretty skinny branch lol) and say that apps like ROM Manager (in the Android Market) somehow "communicate or flag" the appropriate (already installed) custom recovery image (ClockworkMod) to stage/launch actual OS ROM flashes from within the OS (Android in this case) GUI.

Is that a pretty good understanding of what the heck I've been doing for the past few years?

:D

It's a credit to all you smart modders that I (and likely a few others) have been able to do what I've done without understanding completely how it all fits together.

Thanks again for all your help to date, have fun with your new Streak, I know I am.

-Joel

Guest gingernator

I just saw the same issue I'm afraid. Booted into custom recovery, rebooted and went into recovery again and was presented with the stock recovery

I just saw the same issue I'm afraid. Booted into custom recovery, rebooted and went into recovery again and was presented with the stock recovery

Using the custom recovery posted here? Strange I'm not seeing that on mine! :D

P

bostonguy, the best way to visaulize the recovery image is that when you turn on your streak, there are two completely independent boot scenarios. One is where it does a standard boot and boots the OS, the other is where it boots what is effectively a 'mini OS' known as the recovery image. The two exist completely independently. This means that no matter what you do to the system, you should always be able to get to the recovery image (hence it's name) and do stuff. :D

P

P

I've not used the superboot first.. as I used the universal androot to root it.

do you think it may be that?

while I'm thinking about it, Paul do you know a fingerprint that will work for enabling all the uk apps in marketplace? looks like the verizon one works in the US, but the 2.1 streak one doesn't play too nicely just yet.

Edited by fards

Guest gingernator

P

Yep, had a confirmation the download was complete via fastboot as well??

I've not used the superboot first.. as I used the universal androot to root it.

do you think it may be that?

while I'm thinking about it, Paul do you know a fingerprint that will work for enabling all the uk apps in marketplace? looks like the verizon one works in the US, but the 2.1 streak one doesn't play too nicely just yet.

No, it won't be related to the root method. I'm testing on my non-O2 device, maybe i'll try on my O2 one.

I'd recommend the Nexus One ERE27 one, i've always found it to be the most reliable for these things...

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.1-update1/ERE27/24178:user/release-keys

This is what i'm using in my forthcoming 2.1 MCR.

P

Guest bostonguy
bostonguy, the best way to visaulize the recovery image is that when you turn on your streak, there are two completely independent boot scenarios. One is where it does a standard boot and boots the OS, the other is where it boots what is effectively a 'mini OS' known as the recovery image. The two exist completely independently. This means that no matter what you do to the system, you should always be able to get to the recovery image (hence it's name) and do stuff. :D

P

Thanks man, that helps me a lot.

No, it won't be related to the root method. I'm testing on my non-O2 device, maybe i'll try on my O2 one.

I'd recommend the Nexus One ERE27 one, i've always found it to be the most reliable for these things...

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.1-update1/ERE27/24178:user/release-keys

P

okies will have a play with that..

I was trying a desire, didn't even think about passion/nexus, obviously makes much more sense..

OK, re: the recovery overwrite problem, do the following from a command prompt...

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system && rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh && mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system
exit
exit[/code]

...and you should be set (testing myself now!)

P

Guest Loconinja

I successfully installed 2.1 on my Dell-supplied unlocked Streak without flashing an O2 ROM first after flashing back the stock recovery. I have had no problems with 2.1 at all.

Guest gingernator
Confirmed, that fixes the issue (added to first post).

P

Worked for me, couldn't get adb to work for some reason so I used Terminal Emulator.

Thanks Paul

I've renamed and moved the install-recovery.sh to a folder on the sdcard,

that way I've got a dead-easy way return to stock recovery, in case a new update.pkg appears when I'm nowhere near a computer :D

Guest parcsalooc
I've renamed and moved the install-recovery.sh to a folder on the sdcard,

that way I've got a dead-easy way return to stock recovery, in case a new update.pkg appears when I'm nowhere near a computer :D

How soon Paul?? I am dying over here LOL!!!

Guest payneardo

P

okies will have a play with that..

I was trying a desire, didn't even think about passion/nexus, obviously makes much more sense..

sorry for posting on this thread but how do I change this ??. I have market enabler installed ??

and yes I am a newbie just learning the ropes.. :D

Cheers