19/Aug - Streak 2.1 downloads / how-tos (ROM / Superboot / Recovery)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BigHeadDog
managed to solve the android problem in pc. now doing the upgrading. pls bless me lol...

finally managed to upgrade to 2.1. thanks paul and i love ya lol...

Guest BigHeadDog
Does this turn a Dell 00 model into a 21 model? In other words, when Dell release the 2.2 update will I be able to do it OTA?

im also having the 00 model and finally upgraded it to 21 model...

Guest andycqos
It effectively does, yeah.

P

Which bit? :D

Presumably, you mean it turns it into a 21 model.

So I would have to wait for an O2 release of 2.2? Is there a Dell stock recovery version out there to, effectively, switch it back to 00?

sorry for posting on this thread but how do I change this ??. I have market enabler installed ??

and yes I am a newbie just learning the ropes.. :D

Cheers

You can change the text by grabbing build.prop from your /system folder using adb pull edit it on your PC. Then use adb push to put it back again

Personally I use rootexplorer (paid app), obviously need to be rooted, and can mount system folder as r/w then edit it internally as a text file, using rootexplorer. afterwards mount r/o

Rootexplorer automatically creates a backup file which I tend to move to the sdcard..

Guest payneardo
You can change the text by grabbing build.prop from your /system folder using adb pull edit it on your PC. Then use adb push to put it back again

Personally I use rootexplorer (paid app), obviously need to be rooted, and can mount system folder as r/w then edit it internally as a text file, using rootexplorer. afterwards mount r/o

Rootexplorer automatically creates a backup file which I tend to move to the sdcard..

Cheers just gave at go with root explorer much appreciated for the help :D

Will have to have another look as still missing apps from market :D such as google earth.. ??

I just edited the one (fingerprint) line saved and mounted back as RO. Cleared the cache for the market & gave a reboot.

Edited by payneardo

Guest spences10
I've renamed and moved the install-recovery.sh to a folder on the sdcard,

that way I've got a dead-easy way return to stock recovery, in case a new update.pkg appears when I'm nowhere near a computer :D

Hi fards,

Have you renamed the file extension or the actual file? Just wondering as I want to do the same, I still have a stock recovery for the exact same reason.

I have just put the 'install-recovery.sh' file into a folder on my sd card.

Thanks.

Guest STILLSPRINTIN
Update: The stock 2.1 build has a built in mechanism that is overwriting the stock recovery image. To disable this, with your device booted and rooted, enter the following at a command prompt (in the directory where you extracted the zip above) before re-flashing the recovery image using the instructions above:

adb-windows shell (or adb-linux shell or adb-mac shell)

su

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system && rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh && mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

exit

exit

Paul, or anyone who has successfully completed this, when you mention: enter the following at a command prompt (in the directory where you extracted the zip above). If I save the 2.0.5.1 repack for 2.1 to my c drive, do I just run cmd and enter: cd c:\2.5.0.1-streak-clockworkrecovery\ and then enter the update commands you posted to get this to work?

Edited by Paul

Hi fards,

Have you renamed the file extension or the actual file? Just wondering as I want to do the same, I still have a stock recovery for the exact same reason.

I have just put the 'install-recovery.sh' file into a folder on my sd card.

Thanks.

I just called it stock_21_install-recovery.sh so I'd know what it was..

Edited by fards

Guest spences10
I just called it stock_21_install-recovery.sh so I'd know what it was..

Ok, thanks. So now I can flash Clockwork Mod recovery via the flash_image command in terminal emulator right?

Also vibration has stopped working on my streak now, if I reflash 2.1 do you think it will clear it up?

[EDIT] Q: If I want to re-flash 2.1 can I just do it via the conventional .pkg file on the sdcard using the stock recovery that came with the 2.1 update?

Edited by spences10

Guest smokku

There is something wrong with this leaked 2.1 system.

With 1.6 I was way over 60% battery after one day of use. Yesterday I installed 2.1 and with full battery my Streak died over night.

Could it be the animated wallpaper fault?

Guest miker71

I can confirm I got my 00 (SIM unlocked) model upgraded to the "O2" 2.1 version thanks to the tutorial (thanks Paul!)

I am liking this device a lot so far (even 1.6 seemed ok, but y'know how it is), and apart from Dell's status bar overlay (which isn't particularly objectionable or anything) I don't think they've dicked around too much with the standard AOSP (which I like!)

For a moment I did think Google Mail was missing when I pressed the icon on the homescreen and it said app not installed - turns out there seems to be two gmail icons listed in the apps list, and the second works ok. I'm guessing this might clear up after a reboot.

I also had the issue where I couldn't sign in with my googlemail account until I turned off WiFi and used carrier data only (which it accurately got as Vodafone internet/web rather than Vodafone Live/WAP like every other phone).

Now for some rooting around ....

Guest BigHeadDog

With 1.6 I was way over 60% battery after one day of use. Yesterday I installed 2.1 and with full battery my Streak died over night.

Which animated wallpaper?

Guest BigHeadDog

Which animated wallpaper?

Guest payneardo

Sorry to ask again but has anybody had any joy with the market issues missing "protected" apps. I have edited the Fingerprint in build.prop and reset back to ro but still seeing the same stuff and missing google earth, logmein etc.. Have I missed anything. I have also cleared my market cache and the dalvik cache too.

Many thanks

Payneardo

Edited by payneardo

Guest miker71
2 Gmail icons? That's odd!

P

Seems to have cleared itself up, no reboot required.

Other observations:

I really really want to disable the haptic feedback on the capacitive buttons - but that doesn't seem possible.

"Bluetooth Share" seems to be consuming power even though I don't have bluetooth enabled.

It's the loudest phone I've ever owned (the other half had a Nokia that was louder but it was about an inch thick).

No problems with the GPS - in fact as a SatNav it's great because of the larger screen and general loudness.

Old habits die hard, and I like to use the phone in portrait - so I've installed ADW launcher - but Google Gesture Search will only launch in Landscape! The Horror! I'm guessing Landscape is a system-wide default, hopefully not hardcoded with the build (ie can edit a conf somewhere or something, maybe). Either that, or Google Gesture Search needs to autorotate or allow explicit option for orientation rather than relying on default ...

Overall, very pleased with this device. I hope it gets some momentum with the development community.

Guest pretenderep

hi!

Since I upgraded my streak following Paul's instructions (it was at first a unbranded french streak), there's no data networks anymore (edge or 3G). I tried to reflash the phone several times, but there's still the same problem...

Any idea?

solved

Edited by pretenderep

Guest spences10
Ok, thanks. So now I can flash Clockwork Mod recovery via the flash_image command in terminal emulator right?

Also vibration has stopped working on my streak now, if I reflash 2.1 do you think it will clear it up?

[EDIT] Q: If I want to re-flash 2.1 can I just do it via the conventional .pkg file on the sdcard using the stock recovery that came with the 2.1 update?

@Paul - can I flash the 2.1 .pkg again over my exisitng 2.1? it's just the vibration on my device had dissapeared and I wan to know if it is a hardware fault.

Thanks.

Guest Green750one

Mmmmm......I reapplied the stock recovery and then the 2.1 update as per instructions. All seemed OK, but now I cant get the thing to boot in fastboot or recovery mode. holding cam button it just sits there with black screen. Holding both vol buttons just boots normally.

cant get into market - wont connect to google account saying I dont have network although I am connected via wireless

very frustrating. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Update: Ha. used search and found that the button combo works slightly differently in 2.1 - press power until front panel buttons light then hols camera and release power. Was worried for a bit but all ok now!

Edited by Green750one

Guest Fone_Fanatic

any one successfully applied this to an At&t streak?

I ordered mine yesterday and should have it by wednesday.

this will probably be the first thing i do to it!

Guest popetodd
any one successfully applied this to an At&t streak?

I ordered mine yesterday and should have it by wednesday.

this will probably be the first thing i do to it!

It has been done BUT if you do it you will then have an O2 Streak and no way back to baseband 31 or 00 depending on which you started with.

Many are not pleased about this so think hard before converting.

Guest !SMAN!

I don't think it's the wallpaper, but i've been killing just about every app i can, and i don't have wifi or bluetooth turned on, yet my phone only gets 8 - 10 hours of standby on this 2.1 build.