MCR r8 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Nsonic101
If anyone wants SuperCircle battery D + coloured icons for this rom, feel free to use mine :-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/415026198/fram...08-19-12_02.zip

MD5: 5DAD2EDC0C955B2A77714D294F793843

I don't have an account so this is only available to the first 10 downloaders. If someone wants to re-share, feel free.

David_P

where do you put the framework folder after downloading it? thanks..

Guest 2wheels
It this 'Quick Settings' by Sergej Shafarenka?

I just installed this one and couldn't find any option to shut off just 3G. There is an option to turn off APN. However, that turns off 2G as well.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Kiran

It's in the widget section, under 'Settings' not Quick Settings( my mistake).

Guest woti17
Yes, it is confirmed. When I flashed this new ROM without wipe, the Google maps app was missing, so there were problems with Google syncing (there was google account missing and it was not possible to manually add it so Market, GMail, Calendar, Phonebook were not able to sync.

When I flashed after wipe everything seems to be OK. That's why wipe is needed.

no it isn't

the google account is also not working if i change my sim-card, then maps, market, gmail won't work

just a re-enter of the google account password does the magic, no wipe required at all

before i wiped, i would have tried to remove google maps manually or delete the data of the google apps rather then to wipe all and everything, and flashed again, but that's me and i don't know what you exactly did that maps didn't get flashed to the rom

maybe you just opted for google maps AND google maps mod (brut) together, this is not a good idea

Guest meilechl
I updated ROMs every few days since R5 and have always had good results both in usability and in battery life. However since I flashed the latest R8 I have three problems:

1. I keep losing signal. it doesn't say 'emergency calls only' but the bars are all dark. Only when I use the network 1(calls or data) does the signal return.

2. The battery life is suddenly terrible.

3. Minor, but annoying nonetheless, when I type it doesn't automatically capitalise the first word after a full stop.

I have a suspicion that it's the new radio which caused all this. Is there any way to roll back to the one before?

Anyone? BTW I tried a full wipe and the problems are still there.

Edited by meilechl

Whenever i reboot, the Google maps disappeared or being uninstalled. Even through i reinstall it again and again through the market, it's the same result - disappeared. Any ideas? I haven't wiped anything from r5 and used market enabler.

Guest choccy
yes, but if you install further apps (from market), they go to sd-ext (the ext2/ext3 part of the sd card), if you use A2SD+

if you bake-in more apps in the kitchen they eat up your 73mb left in rom

both (apps in sdcard and in rom) the eat together your RAM

Problem with that is that not all the apps will go to the SD card, so I have only very limited space available?

It's in the widget section, under 'Settings' not Quick Settings( my mistake).

That doesn't switch between 2g/3g as many of us are looking for.

It just disables the data connection.

Baking a new ROM but Delia was giving me trouble (downloads would freeze) so I baked using Gordon instead.

However, choosing exactly the same files, the ROM size was ~1mb bigger using Gordon.

Paul - Are they not in sync?

Guest @safDroid

Hi Modaco,

Thanks for your good work for Desire ROMS :-)

FYI - I used to have an iPhone 3GS now I purchased a new HTC Desire...

I'm wondering about the A2SD/A2SD+ solution... I have the following partition: (I delete the non relevant lines)

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/block/mtdblock3 250.0M 173.9M 76.1M 70% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5 147.6M 117.3M 30.4M 79% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 40.0M 1.1M 38.9M 3% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 1.5G 245.3M 1.1G 17% /system/sd

/dev/block/vold/179:1 13.3G 6.6G 6.8G 49% /mnt/sdcard

/dev/block/vold/179:1 13.3G 6.6G 6.8G 49% /mnt/secure/asec

I notice that the "/data/data" directory (under the "/data" partition of course) does not have a symbolic link which means my internal memory is still only 150M... so why I need the "/system/sd" for if it doesn't free an "internal" free space?

I'll really want to understand this once and for all... what are the risks to make this manual symbolic link? why you don't implement in your ROMS? anything i'm not aware of?

The whole "internal storage" solution of Android looks really strange for me... I'll appreciate your reply.

http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/A2SD

Guest 2wheels
That doesn't switch between 2g/3g as many of us are looking for.

It just disables the data connection.

Well, it switches off H/3g for me, but anyway, if you go to Appbrain and type 2g/3g , there is an app for that. I stopped using it because of what I've previously mentioned.

Guest woti17
Hi Modaco,

I notice that the "/data/data" directory (under the "/data" partition of course) does not have a symbolic link which means my internal memory is still only 150M... so why I need the "/system/sd" for if it doesn't free an "internal" free space?

I'll really want to understand this once and for all... what are the risks to make this manual symbolic link? why you don't implement in your ROMS? anything i'm not aware of?

The whole "internal storage" solution of Android looks really strange for me... I'll appreciate your reply.

http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/A2SD

as far i see /data/data has no apps at all, there are prefs, db's .... data

/sd-ext (the ext3 partition) has only the mount point in /system/sd and /data/app /data/dalivik-cache are symlinks to /system/sd/app and /system/sd/dalvik-cache - therefore your market apps are on the /sd-ext (ext3, if you use A2SD+),

but for the filesystem its in /data/app

so the numbers with df -kh don't show all of the picture

Edited by woti17

I did ask this question before in the previous thread but didn't get it answered.

Does anybody know if I can flash R8 with APP2SD+ over the previously installed R8 with APP2SD?

I am hoping this would free me some space

Thanks

Guest sleaztek
so all is well and working fine....only pinch to zoom on the browser dosnt work....

any idea someone????

sorry rebooted all fine....hehehehe....

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I did ask this question before in the previous thread but didn't get it answered.

Does anybody know if I can flash R8 with APP2SD+ over the previously installed R8 with APP2SD?

I am hoping this would free me some space

Thanks

I don't see any reason why you can't.

For R8 with A2SD+, all you need is a partitioned SD Card with EXT3 partition.

As long as you have that in place, you should be able to flash the R8 ROM with A2SD+.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Well, it switches off H/3g for me, but anyway, if you go to Appbrain and type 2g/3g , there is an app for that. I stopped using it because of what I've previously mentioned.

Yes, you wouldn't get 3G/H with that switched off. But do you get a G/E (2G) data connection at all with that switched off?

My guess is that you don't. Hence, you effectively don't have any data connection turned on. Is that the case?

Also, reading about 2G-3G I understand that it isn't possible to switch off just 3G on Android - OS Limitation.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest 2wheels
Yes, you wouldn't get 3G/H with that switched off. But do you get a G/E (2G) data connection at all with that switched off?

My guess is that you don't. Hence, you effectively don't have any data connection turned on. Is that the case?

Also, reading about 2G-3G I understand that it isn't possible to switch off just 3G on Android - OS Limitation.

Regards,

Kiran

Kiran,

L0L,yes you're right, I have no data connection, but for me it saves a lot of battery life, and a quick touch and I'm back online again. If you look on the Market there are one or two apps that do claim to switch between 2g and 3g, I think I have used the one by Curvefish...have a look.

Regards-2wheels

I don't see any reason why you can't.

For R8 with A2SD+, all you need is a partitioned SD Card with EXT3 partition.

As long as you have that in place, you should be able to flash the R8 ROM with A2SD+.

Regards,

Kiran

Thanks, have the card partitioned already so will try it later

I have attatched super circle battery mod version A for this r8 ROM if anyone wants it.

Paul, in regards to things like expresso bar, where it flashes on a new rosie.apk, what changes of yours will that essentially undo? I.e. in your ROMs, what have you changed inside of rosie.apk.

Thanks for this, rounds off R8 a treat IMO

Kiran,

L0L,yes you're right, I have no data connection, but for me it saves a lot of battery life, and a quick touch and I'm back online again. If you look on the Market there are one or two apps that do claim to switch between 2g and 3g, I think I have used the one by Curvefish...have a look.

Regards-2wheels

As someone stated earlier, there are no apps or widgets out there that can toggle 2G/3G directly (cyanogens mod being the exception).

Android won't allow it.

I dont know if i'm alone with this problem, but i'm having a problem with the internet browsing.

On wifi it works perfectly i can surf the web, but when i'm on my cell network, i can go on the market, use facebook app but the browser acting like there was no internet

Maybe someone resolved that problem please let me know

Guest Von Ropen

Hello, I have installed last r8 and I discovered that htc messaging app does not sync images of my contacts. I receive sms from my contacts but cannot see the picture of them on messaging. It is strange because if I install choumsms it let me see the pictures. Any idea folks?

Guest meilechl
I dont know if i'm alone with this problem, but i'm having a problem with the internet browsing.

On wifi it works perfectly i can surf the web, but when i'm on my cell network, i can go on the market, use facebook app but the browser acting like there was no internet

I once had it when one of the settings in APN wasn't correct. Try checking that.

Guest beady_uk

I once had it when one of the settings in APN wasn't correct. Try checking that.

I had this exact same problem and that was the cause. I am on o2 and the APN setting was ment to be 193.XXX.XXX.XXX and i had put in 192.XXX.XXX.XXX Took me ages to figure it out cos i could access the market and i ran a speedtest.net which worked so i was puzzled! :huh:

So i would check your APN settings first.

Edited by beady_uk