Update! What update??

Guest Speedy

I've got the DK update, an frankly i do not see much of a change. Maybe a slight improvement in battery life.

However from what i heard the update is not complete at all. There are still things to be fixed with this danish update, including the danish T9 which is very unreliable.

My bet is that O and MS just quickly gathered a bunch of translators to do the danish update because a lot of danes got pissed off due to unkept promises made by O. They promissed us the update in november i think and we just not got this thing they call an update. Its full of bugs (as mentioned by anders_g) and does not have the dkT9 which is basically all i want from an update. How much time do they need to create a dkT9? It has taken them almost half a year now.

Sorry to lay this on you guys, i am just tired of yelling at orange customer support, seem like they do not care.

I know these updates take time, but I really think its about time they got their act together and forcussed on making the SPV more reliable for both danes as well as you guys from the uk.

well that lightened the load,

-=speedy=-

I can confirm that too ... its a load faster .... never seen my phone that fast before. Additional things I noticed :

- No "Unknown" phonecalls so far

- No hanging when going into the Inbox so far

- better reception bars (wonder if its the reception itself or just those bars)

- battery life slightly better as already mentioned

Guest awarner [MVP]

Don't forget the extra software as well.

Battery life only slightly better???

I was charging every day now it's every 2 1/2 to 3 days ;)

Also there are workarounds for the two main bugs that have been reported.

What about the UK Update? I am getting more fed up with the phone day by day with all it's bugs. I don't know how long i will be able to put up with it, all i want is a phone that is usable and doesn't hang and crash on the simplest of tasks. :)

Alot of problems occur when we stretch these things too their absolute limits, for example.

Imagine using a 3mb ring tone in stero sound with no compression well i might expect it to hang when it rings.

Using an orange home screen (no idea why but it seems to stretch the spv alot) I suggest to everyone that they use homescreens with only microsoft plugins.

Using a background image which is 600kb+

Playing Slurp/Tennis Addict/Rebound one after the other for about 3hrs a day, a little excessive but you get the point, SPV is no gameboy (excuse the irony emulator an all)!

Using internet explorer for 3hrs a day w/o restart (even win98 used to hang up with internet overuse).

Sending more than 10 MMS's (the MMS software is dire).

Their are loads more but its midnight and i can't be arsed!

My phone runs beautifully and the last time i had a hang up was christmas eve (apart from DK update hang when text comes through, but ill excuse that since i can still key lock using device lock instead and that is THE ONLY time since christmas eve)!

DJ Hope

Guest Richie M

I haven't got the DK update, but would like to pick up on something DJ Hope (& Monolithix) touched on, i''ve created my own homw screen that doesn't use a background image and phone seems much faster and with fewer lock ups.

Okay, maybe battery life is better then.

However do you guys really think that it is fair that we have to wait over half a year to get a dkt9? that should have been the first thing in the update. I know you guys from uk prob dont care but could you imagine it?

Hi there-

a little question regarding the update: I#ve deleted the orange update entry in my application list - how can I get the update without this thingy?

Cheers, Lutz

Guest awarner [MVP]

The DK update was via activsync so deleting the orange update should make no difference,

as the uk update should be the same due to the size of the file.

Guest awarner [MVP]

There is a link to the Danish site and the update

I'll try a search and post it here again.

You dont need a step by step really the app does it all for you.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Ok here update is

http://orange.dk/spv/update

Remeber to read here

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic...light=dk+update

and here

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic...light=dk+update

remember there are two bugs, one is if you change you profile you may have a ringtone volume problem

and the other is if your phone is locked and you get an sms you may not be able to unlock without taking the battery out.

The fix for the sms is to use the auto lock feature in settingssecurity

this stops the bug from happening.

Have fun

Ashley

Guest paulend

i went into an orange shop today to ask about the update, and the guy said "yea its out, it came out a couple of days ago!" he said have you checked the update feature on ur phone? i thought mmmmmm, i dont think its gonna be on it, and it wasnt obviously (it would be goin mad on here if it was :!: :) ) i wish that orange staff were more informed :!: :lol: cos im gettin impatient!!! :evil: ;)

Hi there,

I just want to confirm that everything worked out perfectly and I am now updated and de-certifyed. Big thank you to awarner - like always the most helpful postings in town...

Cheers, Lutz

Hi Ashley & Co,

now I am in deep trouble: I am stucked in the headset-profile and cant get out of it anymore. Removing batery didn't fix it and anything else too. What can I do now?

Thanks for your help,

Lutz

Ashley,

I owe you a beer - whenever you are around munich please call me! The homescreen changing fixed the problem. I'll never use the headset again :-)....

Cheers, Lutz

Spoke to someone briefly today who seemed important.

The Orange update for the UK will be out within the next week or so. He had it on his phone, and was happy that it was as good as the DK update.

I spoke to someone on 156 today and asked about the software update.

Orange say they don't know, and the best place to find out is on the Modaco.com/smartphone forum !! :)

I presume that was not an official piece of advice, but that is exactly what I was told.