Samsung Galaxy S can make video calls

Guest peekofai

Guest peekofai

I've just seen my mate do a video call with Samsung Galaxy S (UK)

This is NOT using an app like Qik or Fring.

He selected the number from his contacts list and clicked on Video Call.

I was previously led to believe Android does not currently support video calling?

I wonder how samsung implemented this and whether it can be done on other Devices with front-facing cameras

Its not that its unsupported, its just that no one does it. Why? I dont know, maybe the networks dislike it, i dont know. Is he calling other IP connected devices or any video capable phone? It could just be an IP video call thats integrated into the dialer. Is he getting billed for the call by the network?

Guest peekofai

no he's calling another non-android phone using the person's phone number.

i work for a telco and we wanted to make sure that the video calling charges are correct.

the network is rating the call as a video call and not a data call so it's definitely not over IP

Guest RedSlug
no he's calling another non-android phone using the person's phone number.

i work for a telco and we wanted to make sure that the video calling charges are correct.

the network is rating the call as a video call and not a data call so it's definitely not over IP

What was the other phone?

Guest peekofai

I've just tested it myself.

This time I made a video call from my old Samsung i600 to the Galaxy S and he picked up showing his mug.

If this is possible, I'm going to have a go at creating my first Android App.

Assuming Samsung havent written this from scratch and google actually has an implementation for it in android

Guest mrmrmrmr
I've just tested it myself.

This time I made a video call from my old Samsung i600 to the Galaxy S and he picked up showing his mug.

If this is possible, I'm going to have a go at creating my first Android App.

Assuming Samsung havent written this from scratch and google actually has an implementation for it in android

If you can write that application which will make and answer 3g calls, I am willing to pay around 30$ for it :huh:

This may be the first application that I pay over 5$ ;)

Guest llecaroz

Unassigned enhencement request existing in the android reporting issues database: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2664

Still unassigned :huh:

Alternative app being able to generate 3G standard video calls until the android issue above will be written: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/19/video-c...4g-and-dell-st/

(It says that Fring uses the standard 3G video system not any other particular/specific connection system...) did not tried it yet.

Edited by llecaroz

Guest mrmrmrmr

I have fring installed and I call my friends with video but that is over IP not 3G network.

after your post I searched on the application and couldn't find any optionto call a pure GSM number with video.

Samsung seems to have a solution on Galaxy S. that is what we should focus on.

I have fring installed and I call my friends with video but that is over IP not 3G network.

after your post I searched on the application and couldn't find any optionto call a pure GSM number with video.

Samsung seems to have a solution on Galaxy S. that is what we should focus on.

it can do it. Just need the proper software. But I can't see the point, the network is normally charging you 50-60p/minute and the picture quality is rubbish.

Guest popetodd
That's not correct. My carrier charges same amount for video call as with the voice call.

I would expect that to be the case as well, the carrier has no way of distinguishing what you are doing when making a voice call (even if you piggy back video on it) and would just charge you on your connection minutes.

That said, who cares if you can use your phone minutes? The best you are going to get over a voice line is 56k per second so the video quality would be absolute rubbish anyway!

This whole argument is akin to bitching that your new laptop doesn't have a V.92 modem built into it, good job peeps! :huh:

Guest mrmrmrmr

3g video calls are well defined in H324 specs. They use a very low bandwidth voice codec together with h264 video codec.

It fits into 64Kbits bandwidth of the 3G connection.

Of course the resolution is very low but it's enough to view on a mobile device.

This is a well defined specification which is used on many mobile carriers of Europe.

This is not a place to discuss if it has piggyback video or not.

The question is, why Samsung Galaxy S users have this feature and Dell Streak customers do not have...

Guest popetodd

Sure thing, except this whole thread is about NOT using 3G and piggy backing on the phone call itself and why doesn't the Streak do that.

A 3G call would be a data call and would NOT use the callers minutes nor would it involve the carriers voice network in the transaction.

No big deal as Fring does that already.

Edited by popetodd

Guest peekofai
Sure thing, except this whole thread is about NOT using 3G and piggy backing on the phone call itself and why doesn't the Streak do that.

A 3G call would be a data call and would NOT use the callers minutes nor would it involve the carriers voice network in the transaction.

No big deal as Fring does that already.

I'd suggest you make it a point to know what you're talking about before you start talking.

The network knows when you're making a video call. And we can charge accordingly. You find need a data bolton to even make a video call

The thread is about using an already existing standard that's is supported on many networks as opposed to a 36 data call which requires the recruitment if the call having some specific software installed.

Guest mrmrmrmr

popetold,

I assume you really know too little about "real" 3g video calls which are not running on IP. In any case, you are not interested at all about this issue.

Why do you bother giving comments on this issue ?

We (who really needs 3g video calls over the carrier) are trying to discuss why we don't have this feature and how we can get it.

If you want to make comments, I have 2 suggestions to you:

1. Find yourself 2 phones and a carrier which supports 3g video calls (such as a Nokia E71), make a "video" call from one phone to the other one without installing any software like Fring.

2. Read a little about H324. For example : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.324

For your referance:

H.324 is an ITU-T recommendation for voice, video and data transmission over regular analog phone lines. It uses a regular 33,600 bit/s modem for transmission, the H.263 codec for video encoding and G.723.1 for audio.

Guest peekofai

what an idiot. "i dont want it, so dont discuss it".

there are many threads on here that you may be interested in... i suggest one on what color wallpaper you have.

that's simple enough to get you started.

Back on point...

I'm going to try to rip the dialer from the Galaxy S once I get my hands on one of my own.

At worst i expect it to Force Close but you neever know...

• 3 months later...

Yeah... Video call on 3G network is very useful as someone doesnt have to have internet data plan to receive call.. Last time when I use Nokia or Windows Mobile with 3G video call, I can simply video call my parents, family and friends as long as they are in 3G coverage. Bt now after using Android I have to get another party to install video application to make call and they have to be connected to wifi or pay internet data.. Sigh.. I thought the technology will be more advance but it doesnt seems to be like that. Not sure they are exploring this or not seems everybody more focus on the video call over IP as an alternative for this.

popetold,

I assume you really know too little about "real" 3g video calls which are not running on IP. In any case, you are not interested at all about this issue.

Why do you bother giving comments on this issue ?

We (who really needs 3g video calls over the carrier) are trying to discuss why we don't have this feature and how we can get it.

If you want to make comments, I have 2 suggestions to you:

1. Find yourself 2 phones and a carrier which supports 3g video calls (such as a Nokia E71), make a "video" call from one phone to the other one without installing any software like Fring.

2. Read a little about H324. For example : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.324

For your referance:

H.324 is an ITU-T recommendation for voice, video and data transmission over regular analog phone lines. It uses a regular 33,600 bit/s modem for transmission, the H.263 codec for video encoding and G.723.1 for audio.