[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Is it possible to install the governors without the scaling script to be able to use them in setCpu?

It will be possible but not now as I'm roaming ... A quick hack is to install the power update then use root explorer to delete 98* scripts from /system/etc/init.d . Take care i can not check right now if setcpu can detect and load new governors. It is better to delete 98mod01... only - this way new governors are loaded during init

Edited by Sub501

Guest Nemesii

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly does the RIL do? I understand I should only install it if I have the 32.47 etc radio but I'm not really clear on its purpose.

Guest snapilica
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly does the RIL do? I understand I should only install it if I have the 32.47 etc radio but I'm not really clear on its purpose.

You can read post #14 of this thread.

Anyway as a sidenote, 24h since last unplugged and my battery is at 75%, which is amazing.

Edited by snapilica

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Nope, it's 2 different mods (that's why they are on two posts separate (the third one being reserved for CIFS i belive)). Radio was essential for the RIL mod to work. RIL has nothing to do with the battery saving mods.

For the battery saving mods you need signed_power_update (with signed_perflock_update depending on the case) or custom_zip if you wish to bake and not flash.

For the RIL mod you need the specific radio.

Thanks for the clarification and apologies for the noob question that follows.

But, what exactly does an RIL Mod do? Why is it required? What happens if I flash just the radio and not the RIL?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest CaspaTheGhost
Hello everybody,

Just let me know how is your battery life after installing those mods.

Cheers

Hey mate, installed both to the custom R8 ROM I've been running for a while (perflock disabled and new radio)... Checked using aLogcat and is working so have uninstalled Setcpu...

Phone is currently on 72%, that's after coming off the charger at 91% 3hrs 20 ago...

WiFi always on, connected for 30 mins at home, had 10mins of calls, exchange and gmail on push, 15mins browsing via 3G/H including posting this!

I'll see how it goes...

Also have autokiller installed and running, but no other power/task manager/battery type programs...

Guest snapilica
Thanks for the clarification and apologies for the noob question that follows.

But, what exactly does an RIL Mod do? Why is it required? What happens if I flash just the radio and not the RIL?

Regards,

Kiran

Again read my short explanation in post #14. RIL is sort of like the "driver" for the radio that's being used by the OS.

Each ROM has it own RIL drivers associated with the radio that the ROM shipped with. Usually when you use a new radio it's a good idea to use the RIL from it too as it may improve the performance of that radio. You didn't need a RIL up until now because you used radios that were shipped with the official 2.09 ROM, but this latest radio is from 2.14 (i think) CHT (or HK i dunno exactly) ROM. So what the OP did is based on the files from this post and made a diff to add the ones that needed to be for MCR ROM (as the one from the XDA post is for OpenDesire).

You don't NEED to use the RILs for the new radio to work as the existing RIL driver can communicate with the radio just fine, but some say that using the updated RIL improves GPS lock time or improves 720p camera. It's all subjective and only you can be the judge if it improves something or not. So far with this RIL mod nobody complained about any bugs so it's safe to try it (with the XDA mod for OpenDesire though people were complaining the phone lost signal after a few minutes of booting up, this does not happen with this the MCR mod).

It will be possible but not now as I'm roaming ... A quick hack is to install the power update then use root explorer to delete 98* scripts from /system/etc/init.d . Take care i can not check right now if setcpu can detect and load new governors. It is better to delete 98mod01... only - this way new governors are loaded during init

I've deleted the 98mod01, but looks like I need to keep the other script cause setCPU wont detect the governors without it.

Guest Kiran J. Holla

Hi All,

Just flashed the Power Saver Governors mod successfully using ClockworkMod Recovery.

Have rebooted the phone and have noticed the following lines in LogCat.

*** awake ***: switching CPU frequency governor ....

*** sleeping ***: switching CPU frequency governor ....

Hence, I am assuming that the new governors are installed and working.

I have also installed SetCPU with the profiles I had mentioned earlier. The only change I made was to edit each profile and change the Governor used in each of them from OnDemand to Interactive.

With the earlier setup (just SetCPU without the additional governors) my battery would usually last me about 12 hours (8 AM to 8 PM) with my kind of usage (3G/H always on and Seesmic, GMail, Exchange Email, Some other mail accounts, all updating every 2 hours; intermittent calls)

I will run the new setup over a couple of days and report back how the battery performs.

@snapilica, do you think running SetCPU in conjunction with the Power Saver mod can cause any issues? Please advise.

Regards,

Kiran

Hi All,

Just flashed the Power Saver Governors mod successfully using ClockworkMod Recovery.

Have rebooted the phone and have noticed the following lines in LogCat.

*** awake ***: switching CPU frequency governor ....

*** sleeping ***: switching CPU frequency governor ....

Hence, I am assuming that the new governors are installed and working.

I have also installed SetCPU with the profiles I had mentioned earlier. The only change I made was to edit each profile and change the Governor used in each of them from OnDemand to Interactive.

With the earlier setup (just SetCPU without the additional governors) my battery would usually last me about 12 hours (8 AM to 8 PM) with my kind of usage (3G/H always on and Seesmic, GMail, Exchange Email, Some other mail accounts, all updating every 2 hours; intermittent calls)

I will run the new setup over a couple of days and report back how the battery performs.

@snapilica, do you think running SetCPU in conjunction with the Power Saver mod can cause any issues? Please advise.

Regards,

Kiran

Good question, will also be very interested in the answer, I'm guessing SetCPU may clash with the script as they will both be changing the governor, but you've changed the awake profiles to interactive, so I'm assuming that will be ok?

Will wait to install the mod until someone answers your question :P

Guest snapilica
Good question, will also be very interested in the answer, I'm guessing SetCPU may clash with the script as they will both be changing the governor, but you've changed the awake profiles to interactive, so I'm assuming that will be ok?

Will wait to install the mod until someone answers your question :P

Well I don't know exactly what the outcome would be because i don't know how SetCPU manages the profiles. It might clash with the governor switching script as both would interact based on screen state.

I guess one can install them both and check logcat to see what's happening.

But when Sub returns in the country i guess it won't be hard to make up a script to use only with SetCPU.

As for me i don't feel the need for SetCPU, as my battery life in wonderfull without it, and the ideea to keep an app always on to set the policy doesn't go well with me.

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Well I don't know exactly what the outcome would be because i don't know how SetCPU manages the profiles. It might clash with the governor switching script as both would interact based on screen state.

I guess one can install them both and check logcat to see what's happening.

But when Sub returns in the country i guess it won't be hard to make up a script to use only with SetCPU.

As for me i don't feel the need for SetCPU, as my battery life in wonderfull without it, and the ideea to keep an app always on to set the policy doesn't go well with me.

OK. In that case, I guess the only option for me is to check battery life with SetCPU and without SetCPU.

Will take me longer than I had anticipated. But I will run it in each mode for a couple of days and post back if I observe anything useful.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest lubo777
Hello everybody,

Just let me know how is your battery life after installing those mods.

Cheers

Hey mate, installed both to the custom R8 ROM I've been running for a while (perflock disabled and new radio)... Checked using aLogcat and is working so have uninstalled Setcpu...

Phone is currently on 72%, that's after coming off the charger at 91% 3hrs 20 ago...

WiFi always on, connected for 30 mins at home, had 10mins of calls, exchange and gmail on push, 15mins browsing via 3G/H including posting this!

I'll see how it goes...

Also have autokiller installed and running, but no other power/task manager/battery type programs...

Anyway as a sidenote, 24h since last unplugged and my battery is at 75%, which is amazing.

snapilica, are you using WiFi or 3G ??? :P

If I have WiFi allways ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid) and phone sleeping ~ 90 - 95% of the time I have this results:

~ 3-4 % battery per hour

If I have WiFi allways ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid), display switched OFF BUT the phone is out of my home / office WiFi ( It's looking for WiFi AP) I have this results:

~ 9 % battery per hour (the same results as CaspaTheGhost ?) :)

If WiFi is switched OFF I have:

~ 1% battery per hour (the same results as snapilica?)

:(

All results are comming from Battery Graph

Edited by lubo777

Regards,

Kiran

Issues? I cannot say it is an issue but it will be better to have only one power management policy (init.d or setcpu, you know a car with 2 steering wheels is... ).

When the screen is switched on or off the init.d script will switch to interactive or powersave governor. Then it is up to SetCPU to apply it's profile according to internal algorithm. Now you have to check if SetCPU is smart enough to detect that another process changed the active governor. A possible scenario:

1. You have a set CPU profile which will switch to ondemand when battery is <40% for example

2. Your battery is at 43%

3. Your screen is off

4. Your battery is at 38% now, then SetCPU will activate the profile described above. Now the active governor is ondemand.

5. You switch the screen on, then init.d script will switch the active governor to interactive

6. Now you have to check if SetCPU detects that the active governor has been changed and re-apply the above profile .

Edited by Sub501

Guest snapilica

If I have WiFi allways ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid) and phone sleeping ~ 90 - 95% of the time I have this results:

~ 3-4 % battery per hour

If I have WiFi allways ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid), display switched OFF BUT the phone is out of my home / office WiFi ( It's looking for WiFi AP) I have this results:

I have 3G always on, I never switch it off. My battery does down for about 5% overnight (8h) and goes up to around 2-3% per hour during tue day. I usually get around 2days with a charge with 3G always on and some browsing, a bit of GPS, some gaming, 30 min per day of talking through bluetooth handsfree and another 30 mins without bluetooth.

I'm hoping for more than 2 days. Lets see...

Guest CaspaTheGhost

I'll see how it goes...

Phone came off the charger at 100% at 03:30, its now at 82% at 14:30... This is with WiFi turned off... Phone up time is 13hrs40 and awake time is 1hr20... So 18% drop in 11hrs which is 1.64% an hour...

Excellent stuff, deems to be working well!

Guest The Virus 2013

Thanks for this mod!!! This is amazing.

Normally at this hour after a night of charge, I'm at 65% left. Today with the mod, 91%!

Good job guys, thanks a lot.

I have to agree with everyone here, I am on 3UK which is a drain on the battery as it uses 3G connectivity primirily, and would struggle get about a day and a bit with moderate to heavy use, after my last charge I have had on wifi on for a few hours something I never really did in the past and I must admit the 2 day mark is a short time away with over 24% battery left.... great job!!

Edited by jfran

Guest lubo777

If I have WiFi always ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid) and phone sleeping ~ 90 - 95% of the time I have this results:

~ 3-4 % battery per hour

If I have WiFi always ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid), display switched OFF BUT the phone is out of my home / office WiFi ( It's looking for WiFi AP) I have this results:

using r8 + the power MOD + Calibrating my Desire Battery using the instructions from here I have much beter results today ...

I have WiFi always ON with VoIP telephony (SIPDroid is registering to the VoIP server each minute ...) and phone sleeping ~ 90 - 95% of the time.

The results:

~ 1 % battery per hour ... for 3 hours my battery is gone from 96% to 93%

battery_graph_20100915_small.png

Edited by lubo777

Guest Nemesii
some say that using the updated RIL improves GPS lock time or improves 720p camera.

This is what I meant when I asked what the RIL does. I understand it is a driver, but

default.acdb

default_france.acdb

fw_bcm4329_apsta.bin

AudioBTID.csv

libgps.so

libhtc_ril.so

liboemcamera.so

means nothing to me :/

Hy everybody.

Trying to flash "signed_power_update.zip" from recovery, with no success.

I'm using Amon_RA Recovery V1.7.0.1-R5-SLCD, and get the following errors :

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

I:Update location: SDCARD:signed_power_update.zip

Opening update package...

I:Update file path: /sdcard/signed_power_update.zip

I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys

Verifying update package...

W:Can't verify META-INF/CERT.RSA

E:No signature (8 files)

E:Verification failed

Installation aborted.