07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest beady_uk

Does anyone know how to get the boot animation to change. ive tried dropping it in data/local/ and system/resource/ but still no luck. also cant drop any mp3 boot sound in. The UOT kitchen flash files with boot animation also doesnt change it. I know this has been mentioned but i thought someone might have found a solution.

Cheers

Guest Tymmy Dee
Does anyone know how to get the boot animation to change. ive tried dropping it in data/local/ and system/resource/ but still no luck. also cant drop any mp3 boot sound in. The UOT kitchen flash files with boot animation also doesnt change it. I know this has been mentioned but i thought someone might have found a solution.

Cheers

Try /system/media

:rolleyes:

Hello all,

i just installed the r9 custom rom with app2sd. And now i have huge problems with the internal storage. After i installed the rom i have only 64mb internal storage free. I havenĀ“t installed any apps. Is this normal ?

I wiped anything i can wipe before and format every partition.

An if i install any applikation most of the memory will be used from the internal storage. There are 10MB less from the App2SD Storage but allready more then 35MB less from the internal storage.

With the r5 custom rom i could installed much more apps and had still more available internal storage and i never needed to push them to the SD-Card with the new froyo option.

Is there anything i missed or i probaly do wrong ?

Greetings,

NRGizzer

you have to reboot after the first boot, did you do that? if not, then wipe again, reflash the rom, wait for your system to load up then make a reboot. after that you can star to install/restore your apps.

Guest logicalextreme

Happy page 100!

My internal storage has been getting pretty bad, whether I wipe and use Titanium or not. It's on about 20MB at the moment but the phone's quicker than ever, so no probs there.

Guest NRGizzer
you have to reboot after the first boot, did you do that? if not, then wipe again, reflash the rom, wait for your system to load up then make a reboot. after that you can star to install/restore your apps.

Ok, i just tried this. ItĀ“s a little bit better then before. I tracked the storage usage:

Quick System installed:

ASD: 832

Int: 83,87

Google Maps updated:

ASD: 827

Int: 80.63

Navigon and astro File Manager installed:

ASD: 819

Int: 65.10

Touchdown and Reckless Racing installed:

ASD: 815

Int: 59.67

Angry Birds installed:

A2D: 815

Int: 57.47

Allready there ist more internal storage per installation used then app2sd storage.

Is this ok ?

Greetings,

NRGizzer

Guest Arty Marty
Tried Apps2SD+?

Totally agree here, Apps2SD+ puts everything almost on the SD card, its brilliant, I cant see why you would actually use the plain Apps2SD to be honest...

Guest NRGizzer
Ok, i just tried this. ItĀ“s a little bit better then before. I tracked the storage usage:

Quick System installed:

ASD: 832

Int: 83,87

Google Maps updated:

ASD: 827

Int: 80.63

Navigon and astro File Manager installed:

ASD: 819

Int: 65.10

Touchdown and Reckless Racing installed:

ASD: 815

Int: 59.67

Angry Birds installed:

A2D: 815

Int: 57.47

Allready there ist more internal storage per installation used then app2sd storage.

Is this ok ?

Greetings,

NRGizzer

Additional Info: I just checked per Script that APP2SD is working without Dalvik Cache. Maybe that is the reason ???

If yes, how can i get dalvik cache back to work at app2sd ?

Greetings,

NRGizzer

EDIT: Ok, after research now i know that there is a difference between app2sd and app2sd+. I have to install app2sd+ and there dalvik cache will also be moved to SD-Card.

Edited by NRGizzer

Guest shokka9

no but it looks coolio....seems to be implemented in a lot of ROMs across 14 devices (quoted from the original post @ xda).

Might try this later....aswell as the USB unbrick thing. I lost my USB connectivity too :huh: it happened on my Hero long time ago, due to flashing custom Eclair ROMs.

My Desire is sat on my desk at home, doing nothing, only just got it out of the drawer that its been sat in for a week at the weekend.

Hope it all works good, but i not bothered either way!

:rolleyes:

Hi there,

First post so I've been pretty much a lurker so far - still coming from the days of XDA2 ;-) .

Happily paid my contribution to test things on my Desire as the stock rom was giving me headaches when it comes to ActiveSync with Exchange servers...

I tried various R9 builds to circumvent the issues I'll describe later. If you feel this question is not close enough to OS level, please stop reading and tell me I should create a new thread.

Original Problem:

With stock OTA ROM (FroYo, unbranded Desire, Europe), ActiveSync does not work proprely:

- emails get pushed OK

- contacts don't synchronize *fully* (despite a serious cleanup). Socket connection timeout message.

- agenda doesn't synchronize (despite cleanup of open ended events, removal of birthdays etc.). I always end up with a socket connection timeout.

- Corporate Directory Search works.

Test 1: R9 with HTC Apps

Rosie and HTC mail embedded + Google apps - mail (not gmail) etc.

Results: Same as Original problem. That ROM uses the HTC activesync backend.

Test2: R9 without HTC

No Rosie, no HTC mail, messages etc.

- emails pushed OK

- contacts pushed OK

- agenda sync OK.

That's lovely so far. Unfortunately the use of the Google backend blocks my access to the Corporate Directory:

- A search on the Google contacts doesn't allow me to search the Corp directory (or have I missed something?).

- A search in HTC People gives me the choice to get to the Corp Directory, but because the HTC activesync backend is missing, choosing to search the Corp Directory crashed the HTC People (very expectedly...)

Now my simple question:

Has anyone succeeded in R9 to find the right combination that allows to use *all* Exchange sync features:

- emails

- contacts

- agenda

- Corp Directory

EDIT> Test 3 did the trick:

- Keep all HTC *apps* except Rosie (I prefer ADW Launcher, but that's a matter of personal choice)

- Remove all HTC widgets if you removed Rosie but install the Android lock screen

- include Android eMail app and what you think you need.

- Do not include Android Contacts (I use HTC People because it can query the Corporate Directory)

The actual trick is to use the right backend with the right app:

- @ first boot, do not put any account info. Do you usual config (Time & Date, ADW Launcher look & feel etc).

- do a reboot (faster the 2nd time)

- add you gmail account and check that it syncs what you want it to sync.

- Once gmail sync is OK, start the Android email app. it will take you through the creation of your exchange account. Check that it syncs emails, contacts and calendar.

- You will see all your emails in the eMail app, and all your contacts (in HTC People) and appointments.

- Once it is stable, create a Microsoft Exchange Activesync account. Please pay attention to the next point.

- At the last screen of the activsync creation, your are given the choice of what you want to synchronize. UNTICK everything (emails, calendar, contacts).

Android apps (calendar, email) need the Corporate account.

HTC people uses Android contacts database, however, it uses the MS Exchange activesync account to access the Corporate Directory.

But you do not want to create a double entry point and risk serious duplication by synchronizing all through both the Corporate account and the Activesunc account ;-)

Hope this can help others to get a solid MS Exchange synchronization experience.

Cordially,

Hal

Edited by Hal06

Anybody seen a problem where when you install this r9 rom with the A2SD+, the rom installs and then reboots and then goes past the htc boot screen (NO quietly brilliant is displayed) then it goes to an animated android logo wihch just says the word "Android" and just stays there.

I have had no problem installing all the other roms from r6/r7/r8, i have completely wiped including ext partition. I just cannot get past this animated android boot logo.

Things I have already tried which have not helped.

Completely wiping sd card and repartitioning using latest AmonRA (also tried clockworkmod from within the app), the sdcard is partitioned using standard setting swap=0, ext=-512mb, rest fat32.

tried another sdcard using same method as above, no luck.

Before flashing full wipe/factory reset performed including data/cache/davlik/ext.

It must be something in this R9 my phone just does not like.

Options i am selecting are as follows

Google Applications

Gallery 3D

Live Wallpapers

Messaging

Maps / Street View

News and Weather

Voice Dialler

Voice Search

YouTube

HTC Applications

App Sharing installed to /system partition

Calculator installed to /system partition

Car Panel installed to /system partition

Flashlight installed to /system partition

FM Radio installed to /system partition

Lock Screen installed to /system partition

Mail installed to /system partition

News / RSS installed to /system partition

Sense / Rosie installed to /system partition

SIM Toolkit installed to /system partition

Voice Recorder installed to /system partition

Weather installed to /system partition

World Clock installed to /system partition

Modified Applications

none

HTC Sense Widgets (You must include Sense / Rosie to use these widgets)

Battery Widget installed to /data partition

Coin Flip Widget installed to /data partition

Fortune Cookie Widget installed to /data partition

Quick Recorder installed to /data partition

Tip Calculator Widget installed to /data partition

Third Party Applications

Facebook installed to /system partition

MoDaCo Additions

AdFree installed to /data partition

ASE + Scripts installed to /data partition

Spare Parts installed to /data partition

Titanium Backup installed to /data partition

WaveSecure installed to /system partition

WiFi Status Indicator installed to /data partition

Boot Options

Disable Boot Sound

Trackpad Wake Options (select only one!)

Trackpad Wake with Power

WiFi Options (select only one!)

Standard WiFi

Expert Options

A2SD+

Disable IPv6

Disable perflock

I have searched this thread and others and have not come up with a solution, there are reports that it is down to the ext partition but i have recreated this from scrathc with my original sd card and with another card and still this rom does not boot. I can load other roms fine that i have downloaded from modaco previously like the r7 and r8 all have app2sd+ selected and pretty much the same options selected. Not quite sure what has changed in this rom but something is not right with it on my phone.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by zomig

Guest megaspel
There's a saying in my country: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Free things are always open to criticism. I don't want to start slinging s*** or anything, I just want to know how to get apps2sd+ working. and moving the dalvik-cache and whatnot. I keep getting "low disk space" errors, which seem really silly since I have a couple of GB on my SD ext.

EDIT: Moved the Dalvik cache. Is there any other advantages Apps2SD+ offers over regular a2sd?

Edited by megaspel

Hi Zomig,

From my little experience, you have to be pretty patient with the *first* boot as it takes a solid 5' to actually get past the animated screen.

Cheers,

Hal

Anybody seen a problem where when you install this r9 rom with the A2SD+, the rom installs and then reboots and then goes past the htc boot screen (NO quietly brilliant is displayed) then it goes to an animated android logo wihch just says the word "Android" and just stays there.

I have had no problem installing all the other roms from r6/r7/r8, i have completely wiped including ext partition. I just cannot get past this animated android boot logo.

Hi Zomig,

From my little experience, you have to be pretty patient with the *first* boot as it takes a solid 5' to actually get past the animated screen.

Cheers,

Hal

So yours boots up displays the white background with the htc logo then goes past this to a black back ground and the word "Android" which is animated and then from this point the phone will take around 5 minutes to then move on from the first boot ?

I have not seen this before, i have seen it when it just sits on the White Back ground and HTC logo but i can also normally see the "Quietly Brilliant" on the screen as well. In my case this is not getting that far, all the previous roms have never shown this screen before so do you know if this is something new that was brought in on r9 ?

I might give it another go and just leave it for 10 minutes, i have given up on the number of times i have now flashed this and variations of the same rom with different options selected.

Guest logicalextreme
I have not seen this before, i have seen it when it just sits on the White Back ground and HTC logo but i can also normally see the "Quietly Brilliant" on the screen as well. In my case this is not getting that far, all the previous roms have never shown this screen before so do you know if this is something new that was brought in on r9 ?

Yes, think of that Android screen as your new "Quietly Brilliant" screen. When people talk about the bootscreen that's the one they mean -- from what I've seen (including bricking my phone to some extent) I think that the first HTC screen that comes up with the vibration is one of the lowest-level parts of the phone. I guess it's a pretty frontend for the bootloader itself (think BIOS POST screen on a PC) whereas the bootscreen itself is more like your OS splash.

Guest logicalextreme
I might give it another go and just leave it for 10 minutes, i have given up on the number of times i have now flashed this and variations of the same rom with different options selected.

And yes, do leave it for a while. I've had it take less than a minute and I've had it take 10-15 minutes (seemingly). If it's really not having it, reflash the same ROM and try again, leaving for ~15 minutes. If this doesn't work, get your bootloader up and plug the phone into your PC; then check that the phone is still recognised as an Android or ADB device. If it's not there may be a problem. If it is you can try again with a ROM that you know works.

Guest Arty Marty
How can I install Apps2SD+ using only the prebakes?

Seems kinda shitty to only include A2SD in the prebakes imo.

Well if you donate $10 to reward Paul for the hundreds of hours he has invested in this, then you can choose it yourself...

.... or you can spend hundreds of hours and learn to make your own rom. Personally, my time is more valuable, so I donated $10 to paul. Just a thought... :rolleyes:

Guest afiorillo
[...] I keep getting "low disk space" errors, which seem really silly since I have a couple of GB on my SD ext. [...]

The "low disk space" errors have nothing to do with ext partition free space, but they do have with internal (NAND) device memory.

You don't need to make a "couple of GB" big ext partition on your sdcard, 512 MB will be enough for any power installers out there.

And yes, do leave it for a while. I've had it take less than a minute and I've had it take 10-15 minutes (seemingly). If it's really not having it, reflash the same ROM and try again, leaving for ~15 minutes. If this doesn't work, get your bootloader up and plug the phone into your PC; then check that the phone is still recognised as an Android or ADB device. If it's not there may be a problem. If it is you can try again with a ROM that you know works.

Just tried this over the top of r8 and left it for about 6 minutes and it booted. Cant beleive i missed this as it could of saved me a lot of time. Thanks for the input, i will probably do a clean install as it appears I am getting duplicate widgets on my home screens for some reasons. Not an issue as i usually install from scratch but thought i would test before i wipe it again for the 50th time.

Thanks for your help anyway.