07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dglockitt
Agree, there is no need to put down other ROMs and by extension other ROM developers.

I don't remember seeing Paul advertise regular updates but I could be wrong of course. I subscribed because his work allowed me to root my Desire and I though I should reward/pay for his efforts. If this phone wasn't rooted by Paul shortly after I purchased it I would have been inclined to sell it. I have also donated to DeFrost as it is the best Sense-less ROM IMHO. Seriously, bitching about $10/year is petty at best.

HTC Desire is still a "young" phone (less than a year) and even HTC has been good at updating it to Froyo and some bug fixing OTAs. I'd like to think there will be at least one or two more official OTAs before HTC EOLs it. That means we have many more ROMs to look forward to from Paul and others at XDA.

What would you say were the main advantages of rooting this phone (apart from getting to try other ROMS), cause although I have rooted myself and tried out a couple of ROMs, I can't think of anything I do with my phone on a day to day basis that I could not have done with stock?

Guest volatile_ink

Here are a couple of reasons: Apps that require root access, Apps2SD, custom roms, custom kernels, features not available to stock users which are in custom kernels and roms, S-OFF, Amon-Ra recovery, custom boot screens, custom splash screens, custom bootloaders, fastboot, adb shell, latest updates before anyone else, full access to the phone's file system, custom icon sets, not having to conform to the standards and having to do what an Orwellian company (i.e. Apple/Micro$oft and so on) dictates you do... Need I go on?

You may not find things to do on a day-2-day basis, but just having the phone rooted and knowing you can do stuff that Joe/Jane Average can't do either due to a lack of access or lack of knowledge is reason in itself.

Happy rooting and welcome to Android :P

Guest Shadow75
Here are a couple of reasons: Apps that require root access, Apps2SD, custom roms, custom kernels, features not available to stock users which are in custom kernels and roms, S-OFF, Amon-Ra recovery, custom boot screens, custom splash screens, custom bootloaders, fastboot, adb shell, latest updates before anyone else, full access to the phone's file system, custom icon sets, not having to conform to the standards and having to do what an Orwellian company (i.e. Apple/Micro$oft and so on) dictates you do... Need I go on?

You may not find things to do on a day-2-day basis, but just having the phone rooted and knowing you can do stuff that Joe/Jane Average can't do either due to a lack of access or lack of knowledge is reason in itself.

:D Well said there! I think personally Paul is doing a great job with building all these ROM's to make life so much easier for everyone and a make more use of your own individual and very personal ROM.

Some people are too quick to judge and put other people down which is so wrong. They have no right when they know that Paul is working his arse off trying to improve things for all android users not just the Desire.

People are just goin to have to be more patient and stop their whinging and get on with their lives. They should be happy with Paul's work as I am, and personally I think he is doin great. I am sure he gets lots of questions everyday asking him all sorts. But he has other ROM's he is building not just for the Desire.

It really annoys me seeing comments from people asking when the next update is, and also comparing one ROM against another ROM is just petit.

Let's be more patient people as the Desire has not been out long and I am sure there will much more to come in time.

If people think they can do better then design a ROM themselves, or leave it to the professionals as that's what I feel is best. Everyone has their own opinion, but let's please keep the negativity out of here and if you have an issue read more, and learn, and ask other members politely and you will get a positive response I am sure.

We are all here to help each other at the end of the day.

Sorry for the rant guys, I just don't like to see negative comments here. If they don't like what they see they should go elsewhere that makes them happy.

For the majority of people on here I see people are very happy with Paul's ROM's. I don't think people realise how much hard work goes into building it. Nothing is perfect, things can only get better that's what I say.

Well all I can say for myself is that I am very happy with Paul's ROM :D

The guy is doin his best, let him work and make the best ROM he can, and most of all be patient!!!

Guest Arty Marty

Firstly :

For God's sake can you all shut the fu*k up.

I log on here to read the comments about fixes and tweaks. I did not pay 10 bucks to read all your whining sh*t.

Start a new thread if you must continue bitching and moaning, and do it there.

Can anyone tell me if there is much of a difference between titanium and backup pro ( by reware) as I allready paid for the latter. Reason is I want to reflash. To clean up. Seems to keep phone running smoothly if you do that every 3 months or so. And should I use r8 or r9.

Warmly, Marty

add setcpu freq, adfree adblocker, cifs (mount windows shares), undervolt ... things like juice defender ...

Guest DiscoHero
What would you say were the main advantages of rooting this phone (apart from getting to try other ROMS), cause although I have rooted myself and tried out a couple of ROMs, I can't think of anything I do with my phone on a day to day basis that I could not have done with stock?

- Without APP2SD+ my Desire was constantly complaining about being low on memory.

- I am using MCR R9 as close to "stock" as possible but I have stripped all HTC added stuff and my phone runs faster/smoother, more battery life as fewer things autostart

- As I found out after using DeFrost my phone can handle 850Mv and remain stable. I was getting insane battery life with Defrost 850mV, governors and SetCPU. I miss it as I don't get more than a day with MCR even with UV and SetCPU profiles.

- Trackpad wake only. Dramatically reduced my accidental unlock when putting in or taking out of pockets.

- WiFi patch that allows it to maintain transfer speed when screen off. Essential when using Skype.

I had a chance to use a stock Froyo Desire when helping a friend's father set up his and was surprised (as they were) how much faster and smoother my Desire is. My battery life is also much better than his.

Otherwise, you are right my Desire is not much different from stock except for the under the hood stuff.

Yeah you are wrong. From the first post in this thread:

"This topic is for the WIP (work in progress) r9 release of my Desire ROM.

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared."

To me that just says what it is ... WIP roms are Work In Progress hence may have bugs and aren't stable hence WIP ROMs may be updated frequently to fix above-mentioned problems.

Guest logicalextreme
Hello,

Thanks for all your help to let you know I sorted it myself by doin the following:

So thanks anyway for all your help and input :D

Glad to hear it! I thought that not baking Maps in might get your Maps working and updating via the Market, but I honestly didn't expecting the APN renaming to be fixed at the same time. That's just plain weird!

Guest Ondra81
I was getting insane battery life with Defrost 850mV, governors and SetCPU. I miss it as I don't get more than a day with MCR even with UV and SetCPU profiles.

Sounds really cool for me, can you please tell me which DeFrost rom have you used, and what is "insane battery life"? My average is 1 day of heavy use, looking for possibility to extend it.

Thanks

Guest DiscoHero
Sounds really cool for me, can you please tell me which DeFrost rom have you used, and what is "insane battery life"? My average is 1 day of heavy use, looking for possibility to extend it.

Thanks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690477

Wow, it is up to 5.6. Perhaps, I should give it another try. I can't remember what version I used last (probably around 3.x). Haven't used it since MCR R8 as the latest DeFrost around that time was rather unstable for me and I had to roll back a version if I remember correctly. Could have been a new radio too. Who knows.

Keep in mind it is a Sense-less ROM so you wont have a working FM Radio and anything Sense related.

I usually unplug my phone at 7.30am and don't plug it back in until 2am. With Stock Desire ROM getting 16+ hours is pretty much mission impossible (for me at least). MCR R9 w/ UV kernel and SetCPU profiles makes it with 15-20% left on a good day ... with DeFrost 850mV and SetCPU I used to end the day with 40% unusually. I saw some people report 30+ hours with DeFrost but their usage patterns must be very different from mine.

DeFrost is a very nice ROM with its own app that allows download of new ROM versions and kernel variations OTA. It's own section in Settings (like Cyanogen) for various settings and tweaks.

Guest Shadow75
Glad to hear it! I thought that not baking Maps in might get your Maps working and updating via the Market, but I honestly didn't expecting the APN renaming to be fixed at the same time. That's just plain weird!

Well guess what? The APN has failed again!! Oh fun, got to laugh to keep sane ha ha. I will keep searching but not sure what app to look for that might be affecting it.

Yeah my Maps is working great thanks.

Do you have any idea what may be causing the APN to fail? I will be doing some reading later and try to find out what I can do. Maybe all I need to do is uninstall an app that's messing with the APN. I have checked everything else and I am stumped to be honest.

Any help is apprciated with many thanks :P

Guest logicalextreme
Well guess what? The APN has failed again!! Oh fun, got to laugh to keep sane ha ha. I will keep searching but not sure what app to look for that might be affecting it.

Yeah my Maps is working great thanks.

Do you have any idea what may be causing the APN to fail? I will be doing some reading later and try to find out what I can do. Maybe all I need to do is uninstall an app that's messing with the APN. I have checked everything else and I am stumped to be honest.

Any help is apprciated with many thanks :D

Ack! Offhand, the only applications I know that I have that affect the APs' states are Power Control Plus (the widgets offer the ability to switch the AP off directly in the "classic" way or rename them in the Froyo way), Extended Controls (not sure if this renames them or not) and JuiceDefender/UltimateJuice (I suspect this uses renaming but am not sure).

Outside that I'd say any network-focused or control-focused applications are the ones you should look at first, even if they claim to only interface with the WiFi connection. I'll play around with the applications I have in a minute and let you know if I find anything similar.

Alternatively if you can find a way to dump a list of applications on your phone (there's probably a way to output to a text file, via adb or a root-y application) you could attach it to a post or PM.

Guest badgerarc

Just though i would mention, but I was using R9 wip when abroad last week, so while roaming every so often the Sense GUI would crash and restart. When back home and not roaming all is fine...

Guest logicalextreme

Okay, as far as I can tell it's none of the applications I've mentioned. Extended Controls doesn't seem to rename the APN, and neither does JuiceDefender. Power Control Plus prefixes the AP's hostname with siriusapplications.disabled. ... the search continues.

EDIT:

Perhaps the WSP is for WiSyncPlus (a battery saving App that mucks about with your APN's?)

http://www.gearsoft.mobi/products/product/3

Sure you're not using this?

This Russian thread seems to support JCB_Digger's excellent detective work.

Edited by logicalextreme

I

21/Sep 22:30 BST

Updated Gmail to version 2.3.

A Month???

no Update!!!

why

???

He has graced us with a sentence or two in that time saying that he's been busy working on getting the camera working with the sense HD Rom. IF somehow that's the case and Paul manages to pull the rabbit out the hat and create the full sense HD Rom with a working camera, it will be worth the wait.

Guest logicalextreme

Could somebody from the UK using r9 go to a purchasable app on the Market and go through to the "Confirm Payment" screen and tell me which currency appears please? I used to be charged in GBP for any purchase, now I'm being charged in the native currency for the application despite the application list showing the price in GBP. I noticed just after I hit "Purchase" so I'm expecting a charge from Capital One despite cancelling the transaction straight away. Is this a Google thing or the ROM? I suspect Google and am definitely not amused.

Guest Zarch1972
Could somebody from the UK using r9 go to a purchasable app on the Market and go through to the "Confirm Payment" screen and tell me which currency appears please? I used to be charged in GBP for any purchase, now I'm being charged in the native currency for the application despite the application list showing the price in GBP. I noticed just after I hit "Purchase" so I'm expecting a charge from Capital One despite cancelling the transaction straight away. Is this a Google thing or the ROM? I suspect Google and am definitely not amused.

LE, my apps all show in pounds and pence when searching, with non-native UK apps appearing with a ~ next to the price. (i think??!)

I chose a ~ app and the market did a $ to £ conversion, but looked like it would have gone ahead in $ if I would have progressed as it says "Approx £0.62, You will be charged $0.99"...... but from memory, i'm not sure if this has always been the case??

Hope this helps.

PS. i'm on R9

Edited by Zarch1972

Guest logicalextreme
LE, my apps all show in pounds and pence when searching, with non-native UK apps appearing with a ~ next to the price. (i think??!)

I chose a ~ app and the market did a $ to £ conversion, but looked like it would have gone ahead in $ if I would have progressed as it says "Approx £0.62, You will be charged $0.99"...... but from memory, i'm not sure if this has always been the case??

Hope this helps.

PS. i'm on R9

Cheers! Sounds the same as mine. But I know for a fact that I used to be charged in pounds...before the ~ started appearing on the earlier screens. I wouldn't have minded but I only had my credit card saved in Google Checkout, which I suspect charges for such things as paying in foreign currency, leaving the house and breathing. Ack!

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this is Google. It's not a problem for me in the future because I can use my debit card without charges, but I can see some other people on the net are getting charged more than the app price because of the currency issues.

EDIT:

Looks like if you cancel and refund a purchase quickly enough, the charge never comes through from Checkout to your card. I did it with an application last month (about an hour after installing) and it's not on my credit card statement; neither is last night's.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest seaders

for logistical reasons, I'd think that it would make a lot of sense for the checkout procedure to only go through after the 24 hours when you can get a refund. if not, the hundreds/thousands/millions of times when it does happen, they'd get charged for the cost transaction and the cancel transaction, which really wouldn't make business sense. now, I'd say the payment details are stored and only processed after that period.