Verizon releasing new update

Guest tyrelsackett

Guest the sandman
You just run the program and plug the phone in, then uncheck the box it says to uncheck. Which step are you getting hung up on?

i followed all the steps carefully. i've done this before with the other update and had no problems. when i uncheck "allow usb connection". the phone is supposed to restart and start the update, but my phone just locks up and the upgrade tools stops responding. even tried a hard reset.

tryin it on my desktop now, laptop might be the problem

desktop computer having problems recognizing that WMDC is installed for some reason. too tired for this i got school in the morning, will try to update my phone again tomorrow

EDIT: I'm not sure what i did exactly, but i finally got it to update using the kitchen that xlightwaverx posted here http://www.modaco.com/content/verizon-sams...ith-dg21-stock/. i guess i made my own rom? lol not sure, but it worked. thanks a lot xlightwaverx for posting that or else i wouldve never gotten the update!

Edited by the sandman

Guest blankend

Downloaded and keep getting not a valid win32 application! Have downloaded several times and cant get it to start. Looked forward to updating all day and no luck,

Edited by blankend

Hmm didn't expect many new features or anything but hopefully there will be performance improvements, I heard that it's not 6.5.x? Why not samsung..?

Downloading it not but I'm not going to mess with it until friday, need my phone fully functioning with it's current rom for tomorow.

Edited by bmt10

Guest Fogfire

Some Notes:

yes is works on Win 7 64 bit (not a given since there are drivers installed for the flash.. appears the instructions are wrong at least about Win 7 and 64 bit)

diabled firewall (behind NAT so no big deal) and Virus then just ran the updated and it was done in just under 5 minutes.

Too tired to start putting back all my stuff... so I spent some time playing with the stock touch Wiz etc.

So far not seeting much that is really interesting..

Widgets Store appears busted... fails to install new widgets, says try again.. then tells you it is installed.. but they don't show up so you can't even delete them. That's ok I am going back to SPB in the morning anyway.

Didn't even update the the version of Swype that the swipe site is pushing.. pretty lame.. I was just getting to like Swype but found a thread about other options that was started when they had the swype cabs pulled. (Never let the attorneys make your markeitng decicsions.. a New company should value early adopters and infuencers like people on these boards.. it may be the only thing that keeps the relivant in a year.. already say a company that seems to be doing it better)

Can't tell if the Media player is new.. it still seems to find videos outside of a My Videos.

One has to winder if the main reason for this is an update of mostly VZ stuff... since they still have old Opera and haven't even updated the WM version.. sigh

Any chance this thing can run WM7 so they might be skipping the update we expected?

Pretty disapointed.. looks like I will be using something cooked very soon :P

One has to winder if the main reason for this is an update of mostly VZ stuff... since they still have old Opera and haven't even updated the WM version.. sigh

Any chance this thing can run WM7 so they might be skipping the update we expected?

No, MS decided to dictate exactly how the phones for WP7 are made(but not to pay for the manufacturing naturally) and no current windows mobile phones meets their requirements, only one even comes close. Not that I would take their version of the iphone os even if I had the option.

Anyone aware of an issue with office mobile 2010? My phone got way laggy when I installed it. It's better now that I've uninstalled it.

Edit: Re-installed with a cab and it seems fine. Weird.

Edited by Snow02

Man, if 6.5.x builds can retain the smoothness of this release, I'll be stoked. Everything runs better, and while the total ram is still 140 MB (still crap), the ram management appears to be better as I have more available.

It appears Opera 10 no longer eats as much memory with every open and close. Running titanium I'm settling in around 68 MB through the first half of the day so far, where I would normally be at about 45 MB by now.

If 6.5.x ports lose some performance, I'd be willing to switch back to this 6.5 permanently if I could get a lightened version of this ROM so I had more device storage.

I contacted Samsung about not being able to download widgets. They said re-download the upgrade and hard reset after the upgrade completes. I had to flash back to DC23 before I could run the new update again. After the re-upgrade was complete, the widgets still would not install. I just got off the phone with Verizon and the guy didn't have a clue what to do, so he's sending me a new phone. Neither Samsung nor Verizon have a clue about this upgrade or how to fix the problem with the widgets. The Verizon guy couldn't even tell me if the new phone will ship with the upgrade.

Edited by Corki2

Guest Fogfire
I contacted Samsung about not being able to download widgets. They said re-download the upgrade and hard reset after the upgrade completes. I had to flash back to DC23 before I could run the new update again. After the re-upgrade was complete, the widgets still would not install. I just got off the phone with Verizon and the guy didn't have a clue what to do, so he's sending me a new phone. Neither Samsung nor Verizon have a clue about this upgrade or how to fix the problem with the widgets. The Verizon guy couldn't even tell me if the new phone will ship with the upgrade.

Ouch that is going to cost them if they keep shipping phones for what appears to be a bug in the system.

Ouch that is going to cost them if they keep shipping phones for what appears to be a bug in the system.

That's exactly what I thought when I got off the phone with him, but I sure wasn't going to argue with him. If he wants to ship me a new phone, who am I to argue? It could get expensive for them to handle it this way though. When I first called them, both Samsung and Verizon seemed not to care about the problem, each blaming the other and telling me to call the other. I told Verizon it's not my problem to deal with. They sold me a phone with an interface I can't use and it's one of the key selling points for the phone, so I think they need to get me fixed and quit passing the buck. He finally transfered me to the tech guy who decided I needed a new phone.

I wonder if anyone besides us has experienced issues with the widget store?

They would have to use it first.. We might be it..:P

True. I wasn't fond of it when it took a few seconds to swipe from page to page, but this is pretty responsive now and not much of a lag. No more of a lag than Mobile Shell or Ninja's Nonsense (great ROM, by the way). I've found Titanium to be about the most responsive interface, but I like having everything visible on my today screen, so I thought I'd give this a try. I'll probably be flashing once the guys get the ROMS up and running with this update. I flashed from Ninja's Nonsense thinking this upgrade was going to be radical. Oh well..

I also got an email about my "new" phone. Of course, it's a refurb. How silly of me not to realize that. So they aren't losing much by sending me a replacement after all.

Edited by Corki2

Guest the sandman

I'm having a problem with the widget store too. Keeps telling me that the download failed and to try again later. What a shame, I was actually considering using samsung widgets but what's the point if I cant download new widgets

Try removing the MIT drivers from the system. I uninstalled the CMDA drivers as well, and let Windows handle it from there. Once I rebooted, without the flashing drivers, the update commenced. Don't worry, I'm releasing a DG21 Stock Working Kitchen here in about 10 minutes that has all the required drivers, and stock kitchen, even Octans 2.14.

We all have a brand new starting point.

X

Thanks for the tip I had that same problem, but there's no need to uninstall the CDMA driver just the MIT.

Update for anyone interested. I got the replacement phone today and had to upgraded it myself (I expected that), I then did a hard reset and VOILA.... still cannot download widgets. :P I didn't expect it to work. I will call Verizon again. I will say Verizon got the replacement to me quick since I only called them yesterday. Now if only the thing would work right, I'd be all set!

Update #2 I just got off the phone with Verizon and Samsung together. The lady at Samsung is upgrading her Omnia i920 to DG21 then will see if she can install widgets. The Verizon guy said it's obvious that the problem is in the upgrade software but we have to let Samsung realize that they have a problem before they can fix it.

Edited by Corki2

...it's obvious that the problem is in the upgrade software but we have to let Samsung realize that they have a problem before they can fix it.

How stupid this? Why should VZW HAVE to spend time sending you a phone, then make MULTIPLE calls for them to think "Hey maybe this guy is telling us the truth, and we should look into the matter."

I got a call back from the Samsung lady saying she couldn't test the widget store because her phone isn't activated. She's going on vacation next week and will leave notes in case someone else handles it while she's gone. Yeah, right! I think the issue is in the registry. The widgets download to the phone, they just don't install. I think there's an incorrect installation path or something. Oh well. I'll post back if something gets resolved. If not, I told the Verizon guy to send me a Droid 2 and I'll quit buggin 'em! :P

I got a call back from the Samsung lady saying she couldn't test the widget store because her phone isn't activated. She's going on vacation next week and will leave notes in case someone else handles it while she's gone. Yeah, right! I think the issue is in the registry. The widgets download to the phone, they just don't install. I think there's an incorrect installation path or something. Oh well. I'll post back if something gets resolved. If not, I told the Verizon guy to send me a Droid 2 and I'll quit buggin 'em! :P

you said that? did you bite?

you said that? did you bite?

If you mean "did HE bite", then kinda. He said if they can't get it resolved, they will exchange it for a different phone. I am eligible for the Droid 2 for $99.00 now anyway, but I told him I don't way to pay anything, but I want something comparable to the O2. From what I understand, the Droid 2 is more suited than Droid X for professional folks who need a mobile office. So we'll see. I'm not sure if I would even switch to Droid. I've been looking at it, but I don't like not being able to modify things like I can with WM. I really just want my O2 to work like it's suppose to.

On the other hand, if you meant did "I" bite. I 'spose sometimes I do!

If you mean "did HE bite", then kinda. He said if they can't get it resolved, they will exchange it for a different phone. I am eligible for the Droid 2 for $99.00 now anyway, but I told him I don't way to pay anything, but I want something comparable to the O2. From what I understand, the Droid 2 is more suited than Droid X for professional folks who need a mobile office. So we'll see. I'm not sure if I would even switch to Droid. I've been looking at it, but I don't like not being able to modify things like I can with WM. I really just want my O2 to work like it's suppose to.

On the other hand, if you meant did "I" bite. I 'spose sometimes I do!

yeah I meant him...

Also did it work BEFORE the update? And if so if "I" fix it would stay with O2? I don't want to do Samsung's job (as they get paid for it), but if I am able I'd be willing.

yeah I meant him...

Also did it work BEFORE the update? And if so if "I" fix it would stay with O2? I don't want to do Samsung's job (as they get paid for it), but if I am able I'd be willing.

Yes, it worked on DC23, but they were the old widgets. None of the new ones were there. With DG21 I see that the new widgets are downloading to the phone, they just aren't installing. I really appreciate your offer to try to fix it. I will probably keep my O2 regardless. However, I imagine you are probably pretty busy updating your ROMS to DG21, so I wouldn't ask you to divert your time to this (most folks don't use them anyway). But maybe someday if you're ever bored... :) Meanwhile maybe Samsung can figure out how to activate their O2 and test the widgets and finally get with the team that put the upgrade together and get it fixed. I am going to email my Verizon guy and suggest they he take it to the next level at Samsung instead of waiting for the lady to get back from vacation. This just doesn't seem to be to be the type of issue that should be put on the back burner as far as Samsung is concerned, especially with Droid 2 looming. The update that is supposed to breath some life back into the O2 is making them appear to be idiots, since the "Benefits of Software Update" touts "Improved Samsung Widget Plus" :P

Yes, it worked on DC23, but they were the old widgets. None of the new ones were there. With DG21 I see that the new widgets are downloading to the phone, they just aren't installing. I really appreciate your offer to try to fix it. I will probably keep my O2 regardless. However, I imagine you are probably pretty busy updating your ROMS to DG21, so I wouldn't ask you to divert your time to this (most folks don't use them anyway). But maybe someday if you're ever bored... :) Meanwhile maybe Samsung can figure out how to activate their O2 and test the widgets and finally get with the team that put the upgrade together and get it fixed. I am going to email my Verizon guy and suggest they he take it to the next level at Samsung instead of waiting for the lady to get back from vacation. This just doesn't seem to be to be the type of issue that should be put on the back burner as far as Samsung is concerned, especially with Droid 2 looming. The update that is supposed to breath some life back into the O2 is making them appear to be idiots, since the "Benefits of Software Update" touts "Improved Samsung Widget Plus" :P

sounds good, when I get to updating my ZeroStock rom, I'll take a quick look at it. If its an easy fix I'll post it, otherwise I'll wait till you get more info from the "verizon guy" and samsung "support"

Guest xlightwaverx

Im sure any of our roms would work flawlessly after this update. I am using stock right now until I can grow a hatred for it again so once I start flashin, I'll remember to never go back.

But it is running fairly smooth for stock.

X

With this firmware would it be possible to install a DC23 ROM on to it? Or would I have to install DC23 to use those ROMs? Thanks!