Car charger not charging Streak

Guest vinokirk

Guest mmmputch
I just got a USB extension cable and spliced it to short the data cables. Works great and I can use it with multiple car/wall charging devices I had already purchased for other devices.

Could you please post a how to for this? It sounds like a great idea.

Guest mark2881

Now I have come across 2100ma chargers from Belkin and Griffin.

Do you think it is the power that is important or the shorting of the pins?

I am worried about blowing my bike electrics or killing the phone.

Thanks for your help!

Guest adzman808
Now I have come across 2100ma chargers from Belkin and Griffin.

Do you think it is the power that is important or the shorting of the pins?

I am worried about blowing my bike electrics or killing the phone.

Thanks for your help!

i don't know...

but i THINK (THINK) that the streak is designed to auto detect what its plugged into - so when we use a charger with too low current the streak thinks "oh this must be a data connection"

but shorting the pins you're telling the streak - this aint data, so charge

bikes run heated grips n stuff & my mate has a fag lighter on his bike & these will surpase the charging of a usb device, so the bike electrics should be fine

also you wouldn't have to short the pins on a 2100ma charger as the output of the charger would be sufficent to put the streak into charge mode

(i've got a bike as well btw)

erm you know that the streak wont love the vibes of a bike & the risk of water ingress right....?

Guest mark2881

Thanks so much!

I'm begining to understand the problem better now.

The streak will be cushioned in the top box for protectection.

I prefer the sat nav directions through the helmut, i don't want to be distacted by the display.

So far I have sat nav and music running fine in the helmut.

Incoming calls are my only problem at the moment.

I have to manualy switch to bluetooth on the phone, even when using autoanswer.

I am hoping 2.2 will fix this.

If you are a gadget man into bikes, I highly reccomend a bluetooth helmut.

I bought 2, the wife became a passanger instead of cargo.

Thanks again for all your help,

Mark

Guest adzman808
Thanks so much!

I'm begining to understand the problem better now.

The streak will be cushioned in the top box for protectection.

I prefer the sat nav directions through the helmut, i don't want to be distacted by the display.

So far I have sat nav and music running fine in the helmut.

Incoming calls are my only problem at the moment.

I have to manualy switch to bluetooth on the phone, even when using autoanswer.

I am hoping 2.2 will fix this.

If you are a gadget man into bikes, I highly reccomend a bluetooth helmut.

I bought 2, the wife became a passanger instead of cargo.

Thanks again for all your help,

Mark

no worries mate

i'm more of a biker man into gadgets B)

my bike has a single seat conversion, i ban myself from music or sat nav or anyhting which distracts me whilst riding & i wear ear plugs!

you're set up sounds sweet, i don't often ride somewhere where i dont know where i'm going

some of my mates have tom-tom bike sat nav & a fully functioning cig lighter wired up to a lil' sports bike battery, so i think you'll have no issues on the bike electrics

anything else i can help with, just post or pm

ride safe

cheers

Adam

Guest mark2881

I finally got a solution.

I bought a Griffin micro Powerjolt rated 2.1A.

This failed as well, so power is not the main issue,

I chopped and spliced a cheap USB cable, shorting the two data cables.

This worked with both the Motormonkey(700ma) and the Powerjolt.

I don't have a full understanding, but it seems the phone looks to communicate when it has an open data connection.

Many thanks again.

Mark

Edited by mark2881

• 4 weeks later...
Guest filotti
just took apart my cheapie usb car-charger and popped a blob of solder across the middle pins, works great, charges up quickly!

Me too, but first I looked up the datasheet for the voltage regulator and I made sure it was rated for at least 1000mA (it was).

• 5 weeks later...
Since the 2.2 upgrade my chargers now work without any mods, including my 600ma MotorMonkey.

Old bump but I thought I'd add to this. I had the AT&T locked Streak. Couldn't charge. Had a standard dual USB universal car charger and a single 1000mA one that I got from office depot. None of it worked. Anyhow, decided to root the 1.6 and make the jump to 2.2 myself, since it was inevitable that the AT&T 2.2 was going to remove tethering/everything cool. After a long night of upgrading and changing basebands, I finally flashed the Official Dell Stock 2.2 Froyo release for the unlocked Dell Streaks in the US. Decided to see if it was firmware or hardware that determined the proprietary "handshaking" for USB Car chargers and viola! It works like a charm, and charged quickly! Looks like AT&T/Dell had just written USB charging rules into their locked firmwares so they could also be one of the few distributors that could sell a working car charger. Anyhow, I am currently running baseband 31800-US on the 12821 build of Froyo if anyone were inclined to upgrade. Perhaps it was just the 1.6 that had this problem and the official AT&T 2.2 will fix this but I tend to be skeptical.

It's definitely unique to see a company like Dell sell different versions of the phone (US-unlocked, AT&T branded, EU-unlocked) and the kinds of code changes that are done to it by different parties to translate to $$. Hope this helps!

Edited by braluk

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Deinehoelle
I bought a generic charger off ebay, supossedly meant to work with the Streak, which theoretically it does.

But rather than charging the phone it just seems to keep it at the level it was at when it was plugged in.

For example:

I plugged the Streak in before a two hour journey using Sat Nav on the phone, it was at 54%, when I got to my destination and unplugged the phone the battery was at 55%.

I was wondering if i could apply the 'shorting two pins' trick.

How excactly is this done? Could I just open the cable and say short the black+the blue wire for example?

This not a big deal 1k ohm resistor between the middle pins of th usb port you could not miss it. The cabels have no specific color so if you are able to open the charger take a look there.