Bricked! only fastboot comms work, no adb, recovery/bootloader menus and stock RUUs not installing

Guest popepope

Guest popepope

Would appreciate your help on the following issue (amoled display):

- phone doesnt boot up, it is stuck to a screen showing htc in the middle and 4 small triangles in the corners; if I unplug the pc cable it goes to a RUU menu

- no access to recovery or bootloader menus (by holding power + vol down/back)

- installing stock RUUs dont work; there is a 110 error saying that the RUU is not complete (tried 5-6 RUUs, both 2.1 and 2.2). there is a progress bar on the phone's screen that is normally green, but turns red when the radio is being written (as per the install wizard on the pc) and there is another triangle showing up at the end of the progress bar

- fastboot oem boot restarts the phone, but then it gets stuck to the white screen having htc in the middle (like when you start up the phone and after this quietly brilliant shows under htc, for me it doesnt go beyond this initial point)

- fastboot reboot-bootloader restarts the phone into the same 4triangles screen with htc in the middle

- adb doesnt work as it doesnt show my device

- any power + vol down/back combination brings the phone to the 4triangles screen

- if I run the stock RUU after fastboot oem boot (white screen with htc in the middle) there is a menu showing up on top of the white screen showing up the progress (1-bootloader, 2-radio_v2, 3-radio, then system, recovery, user data, etc.); bootloader is updated ok but then it gets stuck when updating radio_v2 and doesnt move further from that point)

- after the RUU install fails, I plug out the pc cable and see the RUU menu; depending on the RUU that I try to flash the hboot version changes up and even goes down after, but the firmware (what the RUU installer "sees" on the phone) and radio (seen on the RUU menu) remains the same: 1.21.405.1 and 4.06xx; the date on the RUU menu also changes depending on the RUU that I try to flash

Any suggestions to get my desire unbricked?

Bit of a background to the problem:

- rooted (unlockr) and was having Paul's r3 rom (2.1)

- updated the radio to 5.10xx

- got into silly restarts when using gps and thought to reflash a new rom and went for Paul's r8

- restarts were there also when using the phone normally

- thought to re-do all the rooting, wiping out everything from the phone, etc; so having r8 as the rom (pre-baked version) I started the rooting process with creating again the goldcard, etc etc

- error message at some point saying partition update fail (following the steps from theunlockr as I did the first time when rooting) and then the phone got to this triangles screen with htc in the middle

- strange though that this screen is different than the one when I first rooted when there was just one big triangle in the middle

Thanks a ton guys!

Guest popepope

here is also the cmd log after running fastboot oem boot:

D:\AndroidSDK\tools>fastboot oem boot

... INFOsetup_tag addr=0xA0000100 cmdline add=0x8E

07D944

INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK

INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0

INFOTAG:hwid 0x0

INFOTAG:skuid 0x21F04

INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0

INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0

INFODevice CID is not super CID

INFOCID is HTC__032

INFOsetting->cid::HTC__032

INFOserial number: HT05XPL08419

INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1

INFOcommand line length =430

INFOactive commandline: board_bravo.disable_uart3=0 board_bravo.

INFOusb_h2w_sw=0 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 boa

INFOrd_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.e

INFOmmc=false androidboot.baseband=4.06.00.02_2 androidboot.cid

INFO=HTC__032 androidboot.carrier=HTC-EastEurope androidboot.mid

INFO=PB9920000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=norma

INFOl androidboot.serialno=HT05XPL08419 androidboot.bootloader=0

INFO.80.0000 no_console_suspend=1

INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc

INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery

INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot

INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system

INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=cache

INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=userdata

INFOpartition number=6

INFOValid partition num=6

INFOmpu_nand_acpu_rw A1E 1000

INFOjump_to_kernel: machine_id(2457), tags_addr(0x20000100), ker

INFOnel_addr(0x20008000)

INFO-------------------hboot boot time:122798 msec

FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

finished. total time: 101.781s

I thought it might help the troubleshooting...

Guest popepope
If you can use the fastboot coomand, did you try this one?

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...d-b0rked-fixed/

further play with the phone...

I tried fastboot update update.zip and here is the log:

D:\AndroidSDK\tools>fastboot update r8modaco.zip

archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'

archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'

error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt

I added android-info.txt from another pack to the r8modaco.zip archive and then got the log below complaining about the signature

D:\AndroidSDK\tools>fastboot update update.zip

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'

archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'

archive does not contain 'system.sig'

--------------------------------------------

Bootloader Version...: 0.80.0000

Baseband Version.....: 4.06.00.02_2

Serial Number........: HT05XPL08419

--------------------------------------------

sending 'boot' (2414 KB)... OKAY [ 0.422s]

writing 'boot'... INFOsignature checking...

FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)

finished. total time: 0.703s

But again, to your point about following that thread, the fastboot command only works in cmd, I cant access the fastboot menu on the phone as any combination of power + vol down/back doesnt work.

I might need to use in cmd fastboot update (for zips) or fastboot flash (for imgs) but I dont have either a zip or img file that will somehow bypass the checks on signature, etc.

Here is actually where I look for some professional help from you guys that actually know how to write code for this as I dont have this knowledge.

The only noob hunch that I have at the moment is to run a RUU file that has a radio version of 5.10xx included. This is because that was the radio version that I had before trying to root again (Paul's r8 pre-baked) and the whole mess. I know that the phone shows a 4.06xx radio version, but this is why it's just a gut feel :lol:

Looking forwards to further help, maybe a customized update.zip or .img file that will be written using fastboot in cmd without errors like I get now. Somehow the phone seems confused, as running several RUUs is changing the bootloader version, also up to 0.83 or even 0.92 and gets it back down to 0.80 again depending on the RUU that I use, but firmware and radio remains the same...

Guest popepope
You have to use an "official" update.... Otherwise it will fail...

Did you try the rom linked in the thread?

probably yes, but just to make sure, what rom are you referring to?

Guest popepope

tried to run this RUU that I believe has a bootloader version of 0.75 and didnt work, error 140 (bootloader version error): RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.exe

so I guess the bootloader cant go below 0.80, it goes up from it and back to it, but not below 0.80 based on the RUU that I try to flash.

thought it might help...

tried to run this RUU that I believe has a bootloader version of 0.75 and didnt work, error 140 (bootloader version error): RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.15.405.4_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_122704.exe

so I guess the bootloader cant go below 0.80, it goes up from it and back to it, but not below 0.80 based on the RUU that I try to flash.

thought it might help...

Don't know if there's a 0.80 test rom out there.... But at least you got so far as it came with another error... The rom has to been signed by HTC...

Guest popepope
Don't know if there's a 0.80 test rom out there.... But at least you got so far as it came with another error... The rom has to been signed by HTC...

well, doesnt really count as progress, this error shows when I try to flash a RUU.exe file with a bootloader version below 0.80xx

if I try to flash a RUU.exe that's newer than that one, I get the good old 110 error as before.

the problem is that I lost adb connectivity with the phone and only having fastboot in cmd doesnt get me anywhere, or probably I dont know the trick to it :lol:

WARNING, this PB99IMG must do downgrade to Android 2.1 and unroot your device.

1. Download http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/PB99..._signed_txt.zip
  2. Rename PB99IMG_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_
    igned_txt.zip to PB99IMG.zip
  3. fastboot update PB99IMG.zip
fastboot update isn't for flash custom ROM, only PB99IMG from HTC with HTC signature.

If this also fail, copy the PB99IMG.zip to SD and start on HBOOT mode for autoflash it.

Update_red.png

Update2_red.png

Edited by Shawe

Guest tatey2457
WARNING, this PB99IMG must do downgrade to Android 2.1 and unroot your device.
  1. Download http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/PB99..._signed_txt.zip
  2. Rename PB99IMG_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_
    igned_txt.zip to PB99IMG.zip
  3. fastboot update PB99IMG.zip
fastboot update isn't for flash custom ROM, only PB99IMG from HTC with HTC signature.

If this also fail, copy the PB99IMG.zip to SD and start on HBOOT mode for autoflash it.

Update_red.png

Update2_red.png

If you read his first post it says he can't access fastboot menu...

download the RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe rom from here (has the .80 hboot I believe)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667

make a goldcard and then try to flash it

Edited by tatey2457

Guest popepope

the link for that PBxxxx.zip file doesnt work...can you please indicate another download location...just to try in cmd fastboot update pbxxxx.zip...maybe it works

about that RUU.exe I already tried that together with some other RUUs but I get error 110 file open error and there is a progress bar on the phone (normally green through the process) that turns red when the radio is being written, then goes back green, but the overall process fails.

Guest popepope
the link for that PBxxxx.zip file doesnt work...can you please indicate another download location...just to try in cmd fastboot update pbxxxx.zip...maybe it works

about that RUU.exe I already tried that together with some other RUUs but I get error 110 file open error and there is a progress bar on the phone (normally green through the process) that turns red when the radio is being written, then goes back green, but the overall process fails.

update...I tried flashing a pb99img.zip file also, but again it doesnt work bringing up the same error like when I tried to root it in the first place, 51: partition update fail, again when the radio is being written.

nobody has any thoughts on what else to try here?

Guest popepope
Doesn't sound good but I don't know about fastboot so hopefully you can fix it.

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/ has 3 different pb99imgs you might want to try.

that doesnt do the trick either...

anybody knows what is this suppose to mean during the update process? INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

this is the troublesome part when updating with a RUU..... .exe file. if i am able to understand what does this line do then I can narrow the problem a bit.

thanks!

Guest bluemaki

anybody knows what is this suppose to mean during the update process? INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

this is the troublesome part when updating with a RUU..... .exe file. if i am able to understand what does this line do then I can narrow the problem a bit.

thanks!

I have the same problem as yours . I've been looking for solution since last week and I found nothing that helps ! I'll send for the warranty on next Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest popepope

From the ones that sent the phone to a service location, nobody knows what was the problem, what exactly did the service folks do in order to fix it; I mean what part they changed or something like that?

You're pretty much bricked, the reason fastboot isn't working for most zips is that fastboot can only flash signed HTC files (unless you have the S-OFF HBOOT, but I doubt you have from the time stamp of your original post).

The fact the official update zips are not working, I can't see what else you can do :)

thanks!

I believe that's a progress %, for example:

INFOstart image[boot] unzipping & flushing...

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,0

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,40

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,85

INFO[RUU]UZ,boot,100

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,45

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,90

INFO[RUU]WP,boot,100

The boot.img is unzipped from the PB99.IMG, then the write to partition happens.

Looks like the radio isn't fully being written to its partition.

Edited by Mekerz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest jivemaster

I have encountered this exact issue recently and noticed this thread. The OP has the exact same issue as me. Did anybody manage to work it out?

• 2 years later...
Guest conectarenet

Good afternoon. I have a big problem. I did root the HTC Hero (GSM) but we did not do and s-off. After several days of relatively normal thing to have restarted it starts but hangs with HTC logo screen and that.

combination works "vol-+ power". the combination "vol + + power" vibrates 3 times, and both green LED lights. combination "home + power" red triangle screen. followed by combination "vol + + power" is the "android system recovery <2e>".

I tried by renaming rom.zip in update.zip, heroboot.zip, etc.. I install the firmware manually, does not work. I tried RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe pc, RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_3.32.405.1_R_Radio_63.18.55.06P_6 .35.15.11_release_signed.exe, RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE-AFK_3.39.421.3_Radio_63.18.55.06P_6.35.15.14_relea se_signed.exe etc., all give various error.

Phone features:

F: \ adt-bundle-x86-windows-20130729 \ sdk> fastboot oem boot

(Bootloader) setup_tag addr = 0xA0000100 cmdline add = 0x8F084058

(Bootloader) TAG: Ramdisk OK

(Bootloader) TAG: smi ok, size = 32

(Bootloader) TAG: 0x1 hwid

(Bootloader) TAG: 0x20800 skuid

(Bootloader) TAG: hero panel = 0x3

(Bootloader) TAG: engineerid = 0x3

(Bootloader) Device CID is not super CID

(Bootloader) CID is HTC__032

(Bootloader) setting.cid :: HTC__032

(Bootloader) serial number: HT9CRL900044

(Bootloader) commandline from head: no_console_suspend = 1 console = null

(Bootloader) command line length = 361

(Bootloader) active commandline: board_hero.disable_uart3 = 0 board_hero.us

(Bootloader) board_hero.disable_sdcard b_h2w_sw = 0 = 0 = 32 androidbo smisize

(Bootloader) ot.baseband = 6.35.15.11 androidboot.cid = HTC__032 androidboot.

(Bootloader) carrier = HTC-EastEurope androidboot.mid = HERO10000 androidboot

(Bootloader). Keycaps = qwerty androidboot.mode = normal androidboot.serialno

(Bootloader) = HT9CRL900044 androidboot.bootloader = 1.76.0013 no_console_su

(Bootloader) spend = 1 console = null

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion [0]. Name = misc

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [1] name = recovery

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [2] name = boot

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [3] name = system

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [4] name = cache

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [5] name = UserData

(Bootloader) partition number = 6

(Bootloader) Valid partition num = 6

(Bootloader) 0

(Bootloader) 0

(Bootloader) 69,466,957

(Bootloader) 69,784,520

(Bootloader) 69,007,473

(Bootloader) 7473

fimware 2.1-update1

baseband

63.18.15.06pu_6.35.15.11

kernel

6.2.29-7527f009

htc-kernel @ and18-2 # 1

build

Cl345049 3.36.405.2 release-keys

software

Browser

webkit 3.1

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and root after using the phone in HBOOT menu, prints:

*** UNLOCKED ***

HERO CVT SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-1.76.0013 (HERO10000)

Micropores-010F

PANEL-SYN0104 touc

RADIO-6.35.15.11

Jan 9 2012,15:39:56

anyone has solutions and proposals? I searched the internet similar problems without result

Guest conectarenet

Good afternoon. I have a big problem. I did root the HTC Hero (GSM) but we did not do and s-off. After several days of relatively normal thing to have restarted it starts but hangs with HTC logo screen and that.

combination works "vol-+ power". the combination "vol + + power" vibrates 3 times, and both green LED lights. combination "home + power" red triangle screen. followed by combination "vol + + power" is the "android system recovery <2e>".

I tried by renaming rom.zip in update.zip, heroboot.zip, etc.. I install the firmware manually, does not work. I tried RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe pc, RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_3.32.405.1_R_Radio_63.18.55.06P_6 .35.15.11_release_signed.exe, RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE-AFK_3.39.421.3_Radio_63.18.55.06P_6.35.15.14_relea se_signed.exe etc., all give various error.

Phone features:

F: \ adt-bundle-x86-windows-20130729 \ sdk> fastboot oem boot

(Bootloader) setup_tag addr = 0xA0000100 cmdline add = 0x8F084058

(Bootloader) TAG: Ramdisk OK

(Bootloader) TAG: smi ok, size = 32

(Bootloader) TAG: 0x1 hwid

(Bootloader) TAG: 0x20800 skuid

(Bootloader) TAG: hero panel = 0x3

(Bootloader) TAG: engineerid = 0x3

(Bootloader) Device CID is not super CID

(Bootloader) CID is HTC__032

(Bootloader) setting.cid :: HTC__032

(Bootloader) serial number: HT9CRL900044

(Bootloader) commandline from head: no_console_suspend = 1 console = null

(Bootloader) command line length = 361

(Bootloader) active commandline: board_hero.disable_uart3 = 0 board_hero.us

(Bootloader) board_hero.disable_sdcard b_h2w_sw = 0 = 0 = 32 androidbo smisize

(Bootloader) ot.baseband = 6.35.15.11 androidboot.cid = HTC__032 androidboot.

(Bootloader) carrier = HTC-EastEurope androidboot.mid = HERO10000 androidboot

(Bootloader). Keycaps = qwerty androidboot.mode = normal androidboot.serialno

(Bootloader) = HT9CRL900044 androidboot.bootloader = 1.76.0013 no_console_su

(Bootloader) spend = 1 console = null

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion [0]. Name = misc

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [1] name = recovery

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [2] name = boot

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [3] name = system

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [4] name = cache

(Bootloader) aARM_Partion. [5] name = UserData

(Bootloader) partition number = 6

(Bootloader) Valid partition num = 6

(Bootloader) 0

(Bootloader) 0

(Bootloader) 69,466,957

(Bootloader) 69,784,520

(Bootloader) 69,007,473

(Bootloader) 7473

fimware 2.1-update1

baseband

63.18.15.06pu_6.35.15.11

kernel

6.2.29-7527f009

htc-kernel @ and18-2 # 1

build

Cl345049 3.36.405.2 release-keys

software

Browser

webkit 3.1

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and root after using the phone in HBOOT menu, prints:

*** UNLOCKED ***

HERO CVT SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-1.76.0013 (HERO10000)

Micropores-010F

PANEL-SYN0104 touc

RADIO-6.35.15.11

Jan 9 2012,15:39:56

anyone has solutions and proposals? I searched the internet similar problems without result