Gmail update failing to install (with MoDaCo Froyo, r8)

Guest dbdkmezz

Guest Raivis R.
I managed to remove Gmail and install the new Gmail 2.3 apk but now in the Gmail app all I see is "Your email will appear shortly"

Problem is it has been saying that for the last 2 hours so I feel something isn't working properly.

Any ideas anyone ?

press menu hw button and then refresh

Guest badgerarc

Removing Gmail via ADB and installing from the market worked fine for me, but removing maps.apk won't let me download the new maps from the market. Are there other components i should have removed that work alongside maps?

Guest moveandfire
Removing Gmail via ADB and installing from the market worked fine for me, but removing maps.apk won't let me download the new maps from the market. Are there other components i should have removed that work alongside maps?

I've posted a solution which worked for me here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi.../lost-maps-app/

I am trying to remove gmail.apk through adb, but i keep getting the message that gmail.apk is not in /system/app. When i check this with file explorer the file is in the given dir.

These are my steps:

- reboot in recovery (Clockworkmod recovery v2.5.0.7)

adb shell

mount /system

rm /system/app/gmail.apk

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I am trying to remove gmail.apk through adb, but i keep getting the message that gmail.apk is not in /system/app. When i check this with file explorer the file is in the given dir.

These are my steps:

- reboot in recovery (Clockworkmod recovery v2.5.0.7)

adb shell

mount /system

rm /system/app/gmail.apk

I think it is Gmail.apk and not gmail.apk.

Hence you will need to type:

rm /system/app/Gmail.apk

Regards,

Kiran

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nikki Locke
Reboot phone into recovery and connect to usb cable from PC.

adb shell mount /system

adb shell

pull /system/app/Gmail.apk C:\Gmail.apk

reboot
I used pull to keep the old .apk on the C drive as a backup. Once phone is booted, install from Market. You might need to remove the Gmail.odex file if there is one also, I run an odexed ROM but there wasn't one there for me. So there most likely won't be.
That didn't work for me.
adb shell mount /system

adb shell

pull /system/app/Gmail.apk C:\Gmail.apk

/sbin/sh: pull: not found
Instead, I tried
adb shell mount /system

adb pull /system/app/Gmail.apk

adb reboot
However, this did not seem to make a difference to my ability to update Gmail from the marketplace. Then I tried using Titanium Backup to uninstall Gmail. Still couldn't update from the marketplace. Then I tried installing the pulled Gmail.apk to the device, using
adb install Gmail.apk

1775 KB/s (1621428 bytes in 0.892s)

/bin/sh: pm: not found

Then I downloaded the Gmail.apk file as suggested in a later comment to this thread, and pushed it to /system/app.

Again, this made no difference.

I haven't even started trying to get Maps to update.

Could you please repeat the instructions slowly and carefully, for the hard of understanding?

Guest Nikki Locke

OK, I think I've got Gmail sorted. This is what I did this time:

adb shell mount /system

adb shell rm /system/app/Gmail.apk

adb reboot
On rebooting, went to market and installed it - it worked. However, I'm stuck on maps - I tried the same thing:
adb shell mount /system

adb shell rm /system/app/Maps.apk

adb reboot

On rebooting, tried to install maps, got "Installation error Unknown reason -8".

:-(

Guest Nikki Locke

I tried pushing Maps.apk back onto the phone, in /system/app. Now I am in a pickle - the apk file is there, but I cannot run Maps (the system does not think it is installed), and I cannot install Maps from the Marketplace.

Sigh!

I tried pushing Maps.apk back onto the phone, in /system/app. Now I am in a pickle - the apk file is there, but I cannot run Maps (the system does not think it is installed), and I cannot install Maps from the Marketplace.

Sigh!

I had this problem with footprints.

1. Go to the file you've pushed via adb and run it (Use root explorer or something similar).

2. When the phone offers to install the file install it and you'l get an error.

3. Reboot and check if Maps work.

This method worked for my problem so it doesn't hurt to try.

• 3 months later...
OK, I think I've got Gmail sorted. This is what I did this time:

adb shell mount /system

adb shell rm /system/app/Gmail.apk

adb reboot

On rebooting, went to market and installed it - it worked.

I was having the same problem using r9 ROM, followed Nikki Locke's instructions above & worked perfectly.....thanks Nikki :D

For anyone who is a novice to ADB, what it is & how to use it, I found the following link pretty good;

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-i...all-it-android/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elad ichai
As reported on the google mobile blog here:

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/09/u...-market_21.html

Google are now be updating the gmail app independently from releases of android.

However I can't get the new version to install, it downloads but then comes back saying "installation unsuccessful". By the way, I'm running r8 of the MoDaCo Froyo rom.

Anyone else having this problem? Any thoughts on how to fix it? (Do you think re-flashing with a version of r8 without gmail backed in will work?)

Thanks

Paul

have the same problem the old gmail wont work eather.. dobt know what to do...