23/Sep: Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kallt_kaffe

Don't forget to mention that even Huawei has released working kernel sources for their phones by now making them (ZTE) look bad in comparison. :)

it is quite annoying that they couldn't release the kernal source.

and, what is so difficule about it? get onto the pc, zip the folder, put it online. simple...

they are so incompetent...

Guest blauwal26
Interesting: http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/New...20Andr%E2%80%A6

"We're so sorry to tell you that there are something wrong with this source code.We are working to fix the code now.Please visit this address some days later for the correct code.Thanks!"

I'd go as far as saying that looks rather promising! Thanks for everyone who has annoyed them enough!

Interesting: http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/New...20Andr%E2%80%A6

"We're so sorry to tell you that there are something wrong with this source code.We are working to fix the code now.Please visit this address some days later for the correct code.Thanks!"

It'd be VERY FUNNY if they end up realised they don't even have the source code themselves... (only in 1 of the dev's pc, and the pc was just reinstalled...)

I'd go as far as saying that looks rather promising! Thanks for everyone who has annoyed them enough!

It does indeed, and I'd like to echo those thanks.

Out of interest, what kinds of things become possible with a working kernel source that couldn't be done with the stock kernels?

Would this open the door to running Froyo, or would we still be waiting on ZTE to release source for that?

It does indeed, and I'd like to echo those thanks.

Out of interest, what kinds of things become possible with a working kernel source that couldn't be done with the stock kernels?

Would this open the door to running Froyo, or would we still be waiting on ZTE to release source for that?

Froyo has different kernel but I believe it wouldn't be a problem for devs to make it working. I can't wait for overclocking option and also more custom ROMs. Hope they will release it proper kernel soon.

While I would love to think that it was my own long and detailed email that prompted this, I suspect the sheer number of enquiries caught them off guard.

Either way, mission almost accomplished. And bravo ZTE for this rapid response.

While I would love to think that it was my own long and detailed email that prompted this, I suspect the sheer number of enquiries caught them off guard.

Either way, mission almost accomplished. And bravo ZTE for this rapid response.

Thanks to everyone putting effort into this. The update on their site indeed look promising (they looking into fixing the source). But their response, in my opinion is far from rapid though... (better than nothing I guess)

can someone post a draft email, so that i can just fill in my name and send to zte...i know this is me being really lazy but i think if someone does this more people will actually email them and so get a faster response hopefully?

Guest jdtanner
can someone post a draft email, so that i can just fill in my name and send to zte...i know this is me being really lazy but i think if someone does this more people will actually email them and so get a faster response hopefully?

No need imho; the more emails we send, the more peeved off they'll probably get. The message says they are onto it, so lets just see what happens :)

John

Guest jsplace
No need imho; the more emails we send, the more peeved off they'll probably get. The message says they are onto it, so lets just see what happens :)

John

Having dealt on a professional basis with several Chinese electronics firms I would have to disagree wholeheartedly.

Attitudes in the huge Chinese factories are very much a "Deal with whoever shouts the loudest first" and in my honest opinion, if the pressure is removed then the issue will move down their priority list.

Equally, a "form" email is a bad idea too as it just shows that whoever sent it doesn't realy care that much to put any effort in and it will be given far less weight than an original composition.

Edited by jsplace

Having dealt on a professional basis with several Chinese electronics firms I would have to disagree wholeheartedly.

Attitudes in the huge Chinese factories are very much a "Deal with whoever shouts the loudest first" and in my honest opinion, if the pressure is removed then the issue will move down their priority list.

Equally, a "form" email is a bad idea too as it just shows that whoever sent it doesn't realy care that much to put any effort in and it will be given far less weight than an original composition.

I agree with you regards to the "Deal with whoever shouts the loudest first" thing... Once you stopped, it is assumed that you don't care anymore... that's my opinion...

Guest jdtanner

Well, I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you as well :P Having dealt with several of the larger Chinese manufacturers, I've found that once they are onto a job, they usually complete it pretty quickly (although, not always to a satisfactory level).

On the standard letter thing, I do agree.

John

Guest jsplace
Well, I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you as well :P Having dealt with several of the larger Chinese manufacturers, I've found that once they are onto a job, they usually complete it pretty quickly (although, not always to a satisfactory level).

On the standard letter thing, I do agree.

John

If they have not yet been paid then I agree with you.....

But....

Having spent many months working with some of these guys in China, Taiwan, India and Korea over the last 12 years (Remaining nameless because I still work with them) it has invariably been a case of get a job done as soon as possible until the money comes in and then you are forgotten about until an issue arises. Working for my firm as a troubleshooter I have lost count of the amount of flights I have gotten on just to have a representative of my company "On the ground" applying pressure, just because time was an issue.

You would be amazed at the difference in response from their support teams!

We now have a team of 5 people employed specifically for this purpose with another 3 in the UK keeping up pressure from this side of the world.

Its a business model that has been running in the Far East for just about forever and we are starting to see it adopted in many many other countries now as competition hots up, the global economy is suffering and at the end of the day all the consumer cares about is price.

Guest jdtanner
If they have not yet been paid then I agree with you.....

But....

Having spent many months working with some of these guys in China, Taiwan, India and Korea over the last 12 years (Remaining nameless because I still work with them) it has invariably been a case of get a job done as soon as possible until the money comes in and then you are forgotten about until an issue arises. Working for my firm as a troubleshooter I have lost count of the amount of flights I have gotten on just to have a representative of my company "On the ground" applying pressure, just because time was an issue.

You would be amazed at the difference in response from their support teams!

We now have a team of 5 people employed specifically for this purpose with another 3 in the UK keeping up pressure from this side of the world.

Its a business model that has been running in the Far East for just about forever and we are starting to see it adopted in many many other countries now as competition hots up, the global economy is suffering and at the end of the day all the consumer cares about is price.

I think we agree that in the far east, money talks...and not a lot else. Fingers crossed that they will cough up the source for the kernel (isn't that a lin from The Matrix), but as I've already applied my pressure by email, and this has seemingly had a response, then I think I'll let it lie for the moment. Of course, I could just be suffering from a case of post hoc, ergo propter hoc :P

anyone got any logs etc of what is the matter with current kernel - i fancy a challenge :P

There were a number of issues, you are best just downloading it, copying the config from your sf and building yourself, the issues from memory were

various new config options in addition to what was in the actual config for the sf

a duplicate definition of the swap macro (easily commented out)

the need to add or remove paranoid android networking or something similar

no platform defined in the image if you eventually get it to compile.

it's basically the source for another phone, there's also no default configs for our model, but there are defaults for a couple of other zte devices

I posted some of the issues and fixes in one of the kernel source threads