23/Sep: Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

well i got it to build esy enough, looks like it tried to boot aswell (tho since i changed vmsplit i dont expect it to load anything

Great, looking forward to your froyo port soon!

How long did the streak version take, was it CM or Plain Froyo?

Guest Stephen Hyde

well if you look at when i started on it i think it took a few weeks start to finish, now need to work out what the format of the boot img on sf is - any ideas anyone

and plain vanilla at min

Edited by Stephen Hyde

well if you look at when i started on it i think it took a few weeks start to finish, now need to work out what the format of the boot img on sf is - any ideas anyone

and plain vanilla at min

You may encounter problems in that the panel and board source files are missing.

Great if you want to build for Mooncake, of course.

Guest Stephen Hyde

well at min its not booting :P any idea on the EXACT specso n device (ie what tocuhscreen etc it has as i may have the drivers in my other kernel source

well at min its not booting :P any idea on the EXACT specso n device (ie what tocuhscreen etc it has as i may have the drivers in my other kernel source

Assuming your other source is also ZTE, you should be able to just search for their .config flags. Unfortunately, when I searched for these, I turned up nothing. Other than someone doing a teardown, we're pretty short on exact details.

lol its not zte but its still .29

Then I fear you're going to have trouble before the ZTE kernel is released. There wasn't that much special in their kernel, it's just these platform-specific files that are key to the whole shabang.

I suppose at a push you could try using the Desire's display config, and try cutting down the Legend's board file, but it's a bit risky, and with ZTE supposedly working on the re-release, it might not be worth the hassle.

Guest orionthehunter

Kernel ?

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but it does say Eclair Kernel.zip from the ZTE website (ZTE-BLADE open source code for Android Eclair).

Sorry in advanced if I am completely wrong .

Guest Sebastian404
Kernel ?

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but it does say Eclair Kernel.zip from the ZTE website (ZTE-BLADE open source code for Android Eclair).

did you notice on that page where it says :

We're so sorry to tell you that there are something wrong with this source code.We are working to fix the code now.Please visit this address some days later for the correct code.Thanks!

Thats what we are waiting for...

Guest jdtanner
Kernel ?

That is the source code that isn't working :P Correct website though!

I think we should start emailing them again as its been a week since there's been any news,

If someone who has already spoke to ZTE asks again if theres any ETA on the source?

Guest El Nino9

Hello All,

everyone keeps trying to get the source code from zte, but i emailed orange instead.

the only mistake i made is i put in a 2 part question, i got a reply from 1 so i think i wont get a reply for the kernel source.

use http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/...g-us/payg-email to contact orange

or if that fails http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/...tacting-us/payg

even though this product is a zte under all this it has been branded by orange, so orange should have responsibility, considering they have also added their things in the build may have the source themselves.

so like tmobile did for the pulse even though huawei built the device, well atleast the info can be found on tmobile's site.

so i will email them tonight again to say under the GNU GPL agreement blah blah blah and ask for the source once again

i suggest other people do this too

Guest kallt_kaffe

Seriously... What's taking them so long. The only thing that stops me from buying this phone is the absence of a working kernel source. No source = No fun

Guest jimmy2x2x

Keep up the pressure, keep asking them about it

use multiple names/email accounts if you have them handy!

I enquired via [email protected]

They respond with a stock set of questions, complete that, then they respond again with a noticed that they will contact the relevant department. I am awaiting further communication at this point.

Keep up the pressure, keep asking them about it

use multiple names/email accounts if you have them handy!

I enquired via [email protected]

They respond with a stock set of questions, complete that, then they respond again with a noticed that they will contact the relevant department. I am awaiting further communication at this point.

Just sent a email off, Hope they notice it and release it so we can get some OC kernel and custom ROMs :)

Thanks

Many of us have already approached Orange via email to receive the response that they have no information regarding the Kernel source.

Maybe they don't know that they are violating copyright laws just like ZTE.

GPL clearly states that if you are distributing code, then you must provide sources. Orange distributes code by selling phones.

Maybe they don't know that they are violating copyright laws just like ZTE.

GPL clearly states that if you are distributing code, then you must provide sources. Orange distributes code by selling phones.

Trouble with gpl is there are far fewer organizations to enforce Than There are willing to break. They get a free ride and don't live up to their obligations. With zte at least they made a pathetic shallow attempt to release code, there are other companies who Would claim the code on their hardware. Is trade secret

Guest Matty-p
Trouble with gpl is there are far fewer organizations to enforce Than There are willing to break. They get a free ride and don't live up to their obligations. With zte at least they made a pathetic shallow attempt to release code, there are other companies who Would claim the code on their hardware. Is trade secret

So very true prahaps one of us should email both the head legal guyz or managers at orange and zte with full reeferan es to the licence terns how they are bieng broken in a legal fformat thretaning to contact [email protected] who will pursue the issue legally with them if the matter is not resolved very promptly! :)