[OLED] 04/Oct r3: Superboot Root + MCRi

Guest PaulOBrien

The Blade can be rooted two ways - either by using my Superboot boot image (recommended), or using Universal Androot from this post.

Using the Superboot method will install Superuser binary and APK version 2.3.6.1. This bootloader also provides additional 'safety net' functionality while it is installed.

Step by step install instructions

• Download r3 Superboot for ZTE Blade - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 03105bbbf5120535c8921075822a1b67
  • Download fastboot if you do not have it already.
  • Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.
  • Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume up' held. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen.
  • Plug the phone into the PC.
  • Extract the fastboot zip file.
  • From a command prompt (at the directory containing these new files!) run 'fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img' (subsituting 'fastboot-mac' or 'sudo fastboot-linux' as required)
  • When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot-windows reboot' (again substituting 'fastboot-mac' or 'sudo fastboot-linux' as required)
  • Done!

Wanna see how easy the Superboot and MCRi flash is? I recorded a video for your viewing pleasure.

The video is available embedded here and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28U0t5RZz8, now in HD! :)

P

Note: From Superboot r3 onwards, the 'Orange Square' is replaced by the Android dude and the ROM install is now completed using the 'ClockworkMod Recovery' so be aware there will be a slight difference with the video process. :(

Changelog

r3
    • Reverted 'Orange' logo to Android logo (from V880 dump)
    • MCRi will now check for .gz.gz files on /sdcard and rename them appopriately (n00b friendly)
    • MCRi will now run-parts from /system/etc/init.d if found (adding possibility of A2SD, CacheDalvikCache etc. etc.)

• Resolved issue with missing /system/xbin dir
      • r1

[*]Initial release

Guest amardilo
I successfully rooted by Blade using Universal Androot from this post.

I used version 1.6.2 Beta 5, ignore the warning about being 'already rooted'. :lol:

P

That sounds good. Think this might be might first Android phone. Once it's rooted do you know if a stock Android 2.2 release be put onto it (and easily)?

Guest amardilo
amardilo - in theory, since we have the kernel source it should be possible to do a AOSP build pretty easily...

P

Thanks for all the updates.

I think I'll have to pick this up when it's available online. I would love Android 2.2 to be on there running stuff like Flash and Android market (I know the later isn't only part of 2.2 but they are the main 2 reason I would like to get an Android phone).

Was rooting the phone difficult? I've never rooted a phone before and would love to try out this kind of stuff.

Thanks for all the updates.

I think I'll have to pick this up when it's available online. I would love Android 2.2 to be on there running stuff like Flash and Android market (I know the later isn't only part of 2.2 but they are the main 2 reason I would like to get an Android phone).

Was rooting the phone difficult? I've never rooted a phone before and would love to try out this kind of stuff.

Afraid because of the cpu on the blade it will never run flash, even when its upgraded to 2.2.

Guest amardilo
Afraid because of the cpu on the blade it will never run flash, even when its upgraded to 2.2.

Oh well. I hear that 2.2 should be quicker than 2.1 so that might be good.

I think I'll stick with leaving the current install of 2.1. If I root the phone are there any issues when Orange/ZTE release a 2.2 upgrade?

Guest Nik Louch

Tried this with:

Superuser for android 2.2 - 2.2

Unticked soft root

Unticked generate log

It came up with "already rooted" and I proceeded anyway

It gave me "Failed! No ~~~ Fu goo ~~~"

----------

Weird: worked second time

Edited by Nik Louch

Guest blackmath

I used version 1.6.2 Beta 5, ignore the warning about being 'already rooted'. :lol:

P

Thanks, can finally get rid of the orange apps I don't want.

edit:

worked for me

Edited by blackmath

P

Great thanks.Went smoothly enough for a total noob to android.Also installed Sdk.But cant seem to find windows 7 drivers for the blade.

Guest moonmonkey

hi all.

im just a noob, got the phone on friday.

im really not sure how to root.

do you download supeboot root + mcri to pc then transfer over to phone via usb ?

an idiot proof walkthru would be very appreciated.

cheers

Guest JingleManSweep

I got my Blade yesterday. I've been following Paul's progress and am trying to compile all the snippets, guides and tips that Paul (and other MoDaCo members).

You can find it on the Android Guide website: http://www.androidguide.co.uk/device/zte-b...e-san-francisco

(Paul, is this okay? I've copied your rooting guide to my site but have provided full credit to yourself and MoDaCo. Let me know if you want me to remove anything.)

Great thanks.Went smoothly enough for a total noob to android.Also installed Sdk.But cant seem to find windows 7 drivers for the blade.

Drivers posted in blade forum by me.....

Drivers posted in blade forum by me.....

Yes thanks for that.What i should have said is that when i plug my phone in to my pc and use device manager to update the drivers it just doesnt recognise them.Not sure what im doing wrong.USB in debug mode,mount or dont mount,tried both.(win 7 64).

I'm having a problem, after trying to run fastboot, i get an error saying that adbwinapi.dll is missing. I do have android sdk fully installed along with the modded driver for the blade too (driver working) Have done a brief seach to download the dll, but the only link i could find wasn't working, any idea's please?