anyone got it working on XP?

Guest rjm2k

My SF isn't recognised by xp, can someone who has it working please look in device manager and post the driver details for their phone please, i think it shows up as ZTE HSUSB device.

Thanks

Guest TheTwiddler
looks like the same thing happens with the racer, will try the insructions in here http://android.modaco.com/content-page/315...r-link/page/20/ when i get more time

I'm new here, but have a fair bit of Unix/Linux experience and have been waiting soooo long to get my hands on an affordable and capable Android phone.

I saw the San Francisco mentioned on The Register (www.theregister.co.uk) and with a bit of googling I ended up here, where (mostly) you guys seemed to be drooling over it.

I must say, so far I'm VERY impressed for the money.

Anyway, the real reason for posting is that I have go the drivers loaded on my WinXP box and have been able to successfully run adb shell in a command window to log in to the SF O/S and have a look around so I assume at this point that that is enough to confirm the drivers work OK.

I've got the R3 USB Drivers (http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html) and added the following lines to my C:\Android\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf file at the end of both the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section as follows:

[Google.NTx86]

;

;Orange San Francisco

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_19D2&PID_1354&MI_00

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_19D2&PID_1354&MI_02

;

[Google.NTamd64]

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

Following the posts elsewhere to manually install the drivers gives me Android ADB Interface and Android Composite ADB Interface entries in Device Manager under Android Phone.

Hope this helps. :lol:

Edited by TheTwiddler

I'm new here, but have a fair bit of Unix/Linux experience and have been waiting soooo long to get my hands on an affordable and capable Android phone.

I saw the San Francisco mentioned on The Register (www.theregister.co.uk) and with a bit of googling I ended up here, where (mostly) you guys seemed to be drooling over it.

Anyway, the real reason for posting is that I have go the drivers loaded on my WinXP box and have been able to successfully run adb shell in a command window to log in to the SF O/S and have a look around so I assume at this point that that is enough to confirm the drivers work OK.

I've got the R3 USB Drivers (http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html) and added the following lines to my C:\Android\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf file at the end of both the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section as follows:

[Google.NTx86]

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

[Google.NTamd64]

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

Following the posts elsewhere to manually install the drivers gives me Android ADB Interface and Android Composite ADB Interface entries in Device Manager under Android Phone.

Hope this helps. :lol:

It gets near to installing the driver, then falls over saying:

"The driver installation file for this device is missing a secondary entry"

I assume ive not kept the syntax right for the inf files. Any chance pasting the lines above within the context of the inf file so I can see where ive gone wrong?

Guest TheTwiddler
It gets near to installing the driver, then falls over saying:

"The driver installation file for this device is missing a secondary entry"

I assume ive not kept the syntax right for the inf files. Any chance pasting the lines above within the context of the inf file so I can see where ive gone wrong?

I'm learning as I go here myself, and I've just discovered that if you want to flash the device to root it

(see this post by Paul Superboot Root + MCRi)

then another entry for the SF is required in the C:\Android\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf file.

I've pasted the entire modified [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections below so give this a try.

[Google.NTx86]

; HTC Dream

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01

%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF

; HTC Magic

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C03&MI_01

;

;Moto Sholes

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB&MI_01

;

;Google NexusOne

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02&MI_01

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E11

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E12&MI_01

;

;Orange San Francisco

%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

;

[Google.NTamd64]

; HTC Dream

; HTC Magic

;

;Moto Sholes

;

;Google NexusOne

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

Edited by TheTwiddler

Your a star! Will try that out later today, have to hit the sack now.

EDIT: Couldnt resist a last try, but still no joy.

Im just confused by where I insert all of the modded section above. For instance, you have a section dealing with the HTC Dream that appears in the original inf above the section saying [Google.NTamd64], but in yours its rearranged. Totally confused and tired basically. I think i'll give in for the moment until there is a hard and fast solution.... or until I can persuade a mate to let me use his win 7 laptop. :lol:

Edited by finnboy

Maybe a silly question, but I'm a noobie, and am sat here waiting for my SF to arrive!!

So these phones are not recognized by Windows (I've got XP)? And you have to do some hacking to sort it out?

Do I need to sort this out before I can root and install custom roms?

Guest eyespy (aka Steve)
Maybe a silly question, but I'm a noobie, and am sat here waiting for my SF to arrive!!

So these phones are not recognized by Windows (I've got XP)? And you have to do some hacking to sort it out?

Do I need to sort this out before I can root and install custom roms?

Yes,

You'll be able to connect the phone as a mass storage device but for anything else you'll need the WindowsXP drivers which seem to be eluding everyone at the mo.

Guest C++ Developer
You'll be able to connect the phone as a mass storage device but for anything else you'll need the WindowsXP drivers which seem to be eluding everyone at the mo.

I'm not even getting it to recognise it's mass storage devices on my XP pro

EDIT: I hadn't noticed the handset was prompting a question about connecting to the USB, it wasn't automatically seeing the new drive/s, as I had expected, and needed to be manually prompted to mount the drive/s.

Only 1 drive appears though. I'd have expected at least the mobile's internal memory and the MicroSD to appear, making 2 drives?

Next problem. I'm seeing these folders

data/com.cooliris.media/local-album-cache

data/com.cooliris.media/local-image-thumbs

data/com.cooliris.media/local-meta-cache

data/com.cooliris.media/local-skip-cache

data/com.cooliris.media/local-video-skip-cache

data/com.cooliris.media/local-video-thumbs

data/com.cooliris.media/picassa-thumbs

Where, or in which subfolder would I put some mp3 music?

Edited by C++ Developer

Guest ambisingh

has anyone got the win xp drivers yet or got the phone working on it so you can root it as with my it mounts to the pc but says can not find ZTE HSUSB Device

Thanks

Guest TheTwiddler
has anyone got the win xp drivers yet or got the phone working on it so you can root it as with my it mounts to the pc but says can not find ZTE HSUSB Device

Thanks

The way I did it:

1. Go here USB Driver For Windows/Android Developers and follow the instructions to download and install the Android 2.2 SDK

2. Then follow the same instructions to use the Android SDK and AVD Manager tool that is included with the Android SDK to upgrade the USB Driver Package. When you have done that you should have a folder named C:\Android\usb_driver or similar, depending on where you chose to install the SDK. In this folder should be a file named android_winusb.inf. Copy it to android_winusb.inf.saved or similar in case you stuff up the original.

3. Open the android_winusb.inf file in Notepad. It should have the following on line 8 if you have done the same as me: DriverVer = 08/11/2009,2.0.0010.00002.

4. Edit the file and add the following lines under both the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section then save the file.

;Orange San Francisco

After editing, the relevant sections of my android_winusb.inf file looks like this ( I have included the sections either side for context)

[Manufacturer]

%ProviderName% = Google, NTx86, NTamd64

[Google.NTx86]

; HTC Dream

; HTC Magic

;

;Moto Sholes

;

;Google NexusOne

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

[Google.NTamd64]

; HTC Dream

; HTC Magic

;

;Moto Sholes

;

;Google NexusOne

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

[uSB_Install]

Include = winusb.inf

Needs = WINUSB.NT

5. Power on the SF handset and connect to PC via USB. The USB Mass Storage device should mount OK (as E:\ or whatever), though it will probably just be named "Removable Device"

6. The Hardware Update Wizard should fire up automatically. If not, go into Device manager and there should be two yellow exclamation marks for the driverless ADB Devices. Right click one of them and select "Update Driver" to start the Hardware Update Wizard.

7. In the Hardware Update Wizard select "No, not this time" and click Next.

8. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click Next

9. Select the "Search for the driver in these locations" radio button, uncheck the "Search removeable media" checkbox and check the "Include this location" checkbox. Browse or type the folder where android_winusb.inf lives, eg C:\Android\usb_driver, and click Next to install the driver.

10. Repeat from 6 above for the other driverless ADB device.

NOTE: You will need to repeat steps 6 to 9 above if you wish to root your SF, as when you power on with the Vol+ button held in and the Android piccy appears on the SF screen, you will need to install the Android BootLoader device before proceeding.

Enjoy.

The way I did it:

1. Go here USB Driver For Windows/Android Developers and follow the instructions to download and install the Android 2.2 SDK

2. Then follow the same instructions to use the Android SDK and AVD Manager tool that is included with the Android SDK to upgrade the USB Driver Package. When you have done that you should have a folder named C:\Android\usb_driver or similar, depending on where you chose to install the SDK. In this folder should be a file named android_winusb.inf. Copy it to android_winusb.inf.saved or similar in case you stuff up the original.

3. Open the android_winusb.inf file in Notepad. It should have the following on line 8 if you have done the same as me: DriverVer = 08/11/2009,2.0.0010.00002.

4. Edit the file and add the following lines under both the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section then save the file.

;Orange San Francisco

After editing, the relevant sections of my android_winusb.inf file looks like this ( I have included the sections either side for context)

[Manufacturer]

%ProviderName% = Google, NTx86, NTamd64

[Google.NTx86]

; HTC Dream

; HTC Magic

;

;Moto Sholes

;

;Google NexusOne

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

[Google.NTamd64]

; HTC Dream

; HTC Magic

;

;Moto Sholes

;

;Google NexusOne

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

[uSB_Install]

Include = winusb.inf

Needs = WINUSB.NT

5. Power on the SF handset and connect to PC via USB. The USB Mass Storage device should mount OK (as E:\ or whatever), though it will probably just be named "Removable Device"

6. The Hardware Update Wizard should fire up automatically. If not, go into Device manager and there should be two yellow exclamation marks for the driverless ADB Devices. Right click one of them and select "Update Driver" to start the Hardware Update Wizard.

7. In the Hardware Update Wizard select "No, not this time" and click Next.

8. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click Next

9. Select the "Search for the driver in these locations" radio button, uncheck the "Search removeable media" checkbox and check the "Include this location" checkbox. Browse or type the folder where android_winusb.inf lives, eg C:\Android\usb_driver, and click Next to install the driver.

10. Repeat from 6 above for the other driverless ADB device.

NOTE: You will need to repeat steps 6 to 9 above if you wish to root your SF, as when you power on with the Vol+ button held in and the Android piccy appears on the SF screen, you will need to install the Android BootLoader device before proceeding.

Enjoy.

Followed this but when i do adb devices i get not devices returned. Any ideas?

Guest TheTwiddler
Followed this but when i do adb devices i get not devices returned. Any ideas?

Wierd! Worked OK for me even though I was only marginally certain what I was doing!

Some thoughts -

- Is SF set to USB Debugging mode? Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging = On

- Do you still have yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager when SF is connected via USB?

- Are your Device Ids different somehow? Right click on device in Device Manager, select Properties, select Details tab, select Hardware Ids and compare with the values I used

Regards

Edited by TheTwiddler

Guest piercy
Wierd! Worked OK for me even though I was only marginally certain what I was doing!

Some thoughts -

- Is SF set to USB Debugging mode? Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging = On

- Do you still have yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager when SF is connected via USB?

- Are your Device Ids different somehow? Right click on device in Device Manager, select Properties, select Details tab, select Hardware Ids and compare with the values I used

Regards

Scratch the below, just went to get a screenshot of cmd and its bloody working. Maybe it was the restart since yesterday which fixed it lol. (have you tired turning it off an on again? - IT crowd). Anyways it works! thank you for your time!

Thought id answer everything with screenshots so you know im not being a noob B) but in response to all questions yes that is how it all is. Also, here is the android_winusb.inf file contents :lol:

http://paste.rikkus.info/246001

3.png

4.png

5.png

Edited by piercy

Guest TheTwiddler

Scratch the below, just went to get a screenshot of cmd and its bloody working. Maybe it was the restart since yesterday which fixed it lol. (have you tired turning it off an on again? - IT crowd). Anyways it works! thank you for your time!

Excellent! I was starting to worry that everyone would think I just made it all up!!!

:lol: So I guess you've got it rooted and unlocked by now and are well on your way to developing your first international best-seller app ...

Guest muddyfox470

[Google.NTx86]

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

[Google.NTamd64]

;

;Orange San Francisco

;

Hope this helps. :)

Sorry to bump. But top man, thanks for the info :)