How do I remove or change a digital signature?

Guest tedkord

The topic title says it all. I've hex edited the CM Internet Sharing app to install directly onto our device without needing a registry change (I think), but the file is digitally signed, so I can't install it (I changed the internals of the .cab slightly, so the hash changed)

I've done some looking online, but I can't find a decisive answer on changing an existing signature, or removing it completely. Any help is appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, how do you cab up programs? Maybe if I extract the .cab, make the changes then re-cab it it will work? What programs are you using to create cabs (I don't have Visual Studio).

The topic title says it all. I've hex edited the CM Internet Sharing app to install directly onto our device without needing a registry change (I think), but the file is digitally signed, so I can't install it (I changed the internals of the .cab slightly, so the hash changed)

I've done some looking online, but I can't find a decisive answer on changing an existing signature, or removing it completely. Any help is appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, how do you cab up programs? Maybe if I extract the .cab, make the changes then re-cab it it will work? What programs are you using to create cabs (I don't have Visual Studio).

wince cab manager... google it

Guest xlightwaverx

These ROMS should be signature free when it comes to credentials. There shouldn't be a problem running anything and you definitely should not be getting a "this application is not digitally signed" error. At least on the "cooked" ones unless people started changing sh*t and didn't tell me. It happens :lol:

Thanks. Im gonna look for it now

These ROMS should be signature free when it comes to credentials. There shouldn't be a problem running anything and you definitely should not be getting a "this application is not digitally signed" error. At least on the "cooked" ones unless people started changing sh*t and didn't tell me. It happens :lol:

nothing has changed, he is simply trying to make a change to an existing cab. There are some cabs that WON'T install no matter if you have security disabled.

Well, I'm back to your lite rom as going to the base rom didn't solve my problem with the backlight timer under battery power always resetting to 15 seconds. And my modified cab definitely wouldn't install due to the digital signature.

I'm at work tonight so I haven't had a chance to dl the cab manager and check it out. Will it also handle the dig sig issue?

Edited by tedkord

AMD,

Thanks for the WinCE Cab Manager suggestion. This not only solved my digital signature problem, but I was also able to simply change the reg entry in question directly in Cab Manager, then just resave the cab file. It installed, and seems to work. Just to be sure (since I already had it installed and manually changed the reg setting), I'm going to wait to install it after my next fresh flash.

Are there any freeware cab makers? I'm really not going to sneak a $100 purchase for something like this past the wife... In the meantime, I have 30 days to experiment!

Now, I want to figure out how to change your Lite DG21 ROM to RC 23569 (No other changes).

Have you tried unsigner? Works for dll files. Not sure for cabs.

Edit: Nevermind, saw CE manager did the trick.

And if you need to reinstall after the trial, uninstall the program, then in your windows registry delete every instance pointing to that program. Reinstall and you'll have another 30 days. Usually you can search for the company name, or something in the name specific to just that program that every registry entry should have (like a file folder, etc.).

Edited by Somnia2