[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest yee_har
It's impossible to know what the widget could be. I didn't have this issue myself but it sounds like you added a widget to the screen then upgraded your ROM. This would have used the current settings of your phone but doesn't always reload the widget information properly. Just delete it, it'll be fine.

I did wonder (old self select widget). Thanks.

Guest m_w_clarke
Hi,

Everything seems to have gone smoothly to r3 for me, thanks. I have one oddity and I'm not sure if it's right, if I click on the Internet icon it still takes me to the orangeworld web page and all the default orange pages are there still and I can't see how to delete them. Is this something I've done wrong, or were they left behind on purpose?

Change the hompage.

Once in "Internet" Press Menu, More, and Set Homepage

:-)

Downloading at 10-15 KB/s which is literally painful. :)

Why don't you invest some money from the subscriptions into better servers?

Waiting 60 minutes for something which should take 30 seconds :).

Most definitely not a problem with my connection as I've tried on both my 20Mb/s home connection and our 1Gb/s Uni connection.

It's a load balanced 4 server farm, so there's obviously some sort of connectivity issue on the download...

P

Guest glossywhite
Any chance of the pre-bake for r4 being released soon? Because it's been saying released soon for the past 4-5 days or so... :)

It's a marketing thing, whereby premium members get the best stuff, first. It's called milking the cash cow, dude! :)

Guest glossywhite
It's a marketing thing, whereby premium members get the best stuff, first. It's called milking the cash cow, dude! :)

Hi. Could you expand on "shortly"? A bus company can say "shortly" and mean ten mins, or it could mean "shortly" in the context of "we are releasing a new product, shortly" from a marketing campaign, meaning weeks...

Thank you :)

OMG seriously? :)

Is single handedly creating the whole SanFran scene and all the bits that go with it not enough for a little patience? :)

It's ironic, because all the time i'm helping San Fran users the Desire users are upset, all the time i'm helping the G2 users the San Fran users are upset etc. etc...

:D

P

Guest glossywhite
OMG seriously? :)

Is single handedly creating the whole SanFran scene and all the bits that go with it not enough for a little patience? :)

It's ironic, because all the time i'm helping San Fran users the Desire users are upset, all the time i'm helping the G2 users the San Fran users are upset etc. etc...

P

I didn't mean that to come across as impatient, and I appreciate WHY it takes donations to keep it running. I was simply explaining the cold, hard facts of the situation to the poster. Business is business, and there's no pretending you don't need the money - I was not assuming you do it all at your own expense :)

Guest kevwright

Trying to download these ROMs Paul, but it gets to 28mb and stops downloading?

Tried it with r3, and r4 through the kitchen, and tried Chrome and Safari, not sure what else I can try?

Are these mirrored anywhere?

Kev

UPDATE: Sorted now, must have been my end.

Edited by kevwright

Sorry for silly question but i cant seem to find it..where is the post with the step by step instructions and youtube video on how to root/install custom ROM?

Also I see r4 is out for 'kitchen', im assuming thats only for premium members etc, will it be out for normal members any time soon?

Guest glossywhite
Sorry for silly question but i cant seem to find it..where is the post with the step by step instructions and youtube video on how to root/install custom ROM?

Also I see r4 is out for 'kitchen', im assuming thats only for premium members etc, will it be out for normal members any time soon?

It would appear not, as yet...

Guest flash2004
OMG seriously? :D

Is single handedly creating the whole SanFran scene and all the bits that go with it not enough for a little patience? :D

P

We need 2 pauls now :)

Jokes aside, we appreciate all your hard work. Dont know what we would do without you. TBH, I bought the SF because of modaco and you :)

Keep up the good work !! Dont let the pessimism of a few users upset you :)

Guest Blasphemous

I'm sorry to 'rant' but I found those last few posts totally uncalled for and thankless.

Hi. Could you expand on "shortly"? A bus company can say "shortly" and mean ten mins, or it could mean "shortly" in the context of "we are releasing a new product, shortly" from a marketing campaign, meaning weeks...

Thank you :)

I didn't mean that to come across as impatient, and I appreciate WHY it takes donations to keep it running. I was simply explaining the cold, hard facts of the situation to the poster. Business is business, and there's no pretending you don't need the money - I was not assuming you do it all at your own expense :)

You don't mean to come across as impatient? What is it that leads you to believe that Paul needs to provide ANY time scale to ANY member be it paying or non-paying?

You can pay money and get something today or you can keep your money and wait for whatever it is you want to become free.

You seem to grasp the concept of this site being run as a 'business' (it pays for the site after all), but, in my opinion, some of the examples you use to communicate your understanding of this come across as thankless and somewhat supercilious. Case in point: 'Milking the Cash Cow'! That comes across (to me), that Paul is 'milking' his members and that the members haven't the intelligence to realise this. Now that may NOT be what you're trying to communicate but it is certainly a provocative statement.

I am not a 'paying' member of this site. If things were different (financially), at home at the minute then I certainly would be but I would not consider my payment to being 'milked'.

Edited by Blasphemous

Guest jdtanner
We need 2 pauls now :)

Jokes aside, we appreciate all your hard work. Dont know what we would do without you. TBH, I bought the SF because of modaco and you :)

Keep up the good work !! Dont let the pessimism of a few users upset you :)

I also bought the SF because of all of your hard work! I've stumped up a tenner to support the site; I've easily had 10x that amount of enjoyment and use out of it so far :D

John

off topic, but, i wanted to show my gratitude to paul for this rom, therefore i subscribed with an ad-free account - which i may upgrade in the future. i'm also going to donate to fibblesan and bigbear for the work they did on the pulse. as you were gentlemen. thanks very much for the great effort you've put into this rom, paul, fantastic work. loving the automatic a2sd implementation.

Edited by aidanj

Guest TheTwiddler
off topic, but, i wanted to show my gratitude to paul for this rom, therefore i subscribed with an ad-free account - which i may upgrade in the future. i'm also going to donate to fibblesan and bigbear for the work they did on the pulse. as you were gentlemen. thanks very much for the great effort you've put into this rom, paul, fantastic work. loving the automatic a2sd implementation.

I haven't had this much fun for a tenner since .... err ... better not go into that. The wife might find out. :)

Guest Simon O

That's exactly why I paid for the ad-free account too. Paul puts a lot of time and effort into this website and without him we would probably still not have a fully working recovery image, root solution, custom roms etc.

And thanks for the kind words about the Pulse work. Any donations I'm receiving are being passed to BigBearMDC to get a SanFrancisco of his own. Some awesome developers are joining the SanFran party and we have good times ahead!

Guest legolamb

Why shouldn't people who contribute get enhanced or preferential service? The fact that Paul is considering releasing his ROM for free would suggest his motives are far from milking the cash cow!!

I wouldnt blame him for keeping it to contributors only with comments like yours, this site and paul's efforts are the reason I have this phone and rather than hassle him I'd just like to thank him for the time and effort he has put into this.

Edited by legolamb

Guest Gibbo501

I tell you what then, you have three options:

1) Buy a subscription

2) Build your own ROM from scratch

3) Pester Orange for a custom ROM

These guys are spending a lot of their own time and energy getting these custom ROMs right and out. I think a sub is a small price to pay to expand your phone (which you've already got for a bargain price).

I've not subscribed yet (I certainly will when I'm ready to put on a custom ROM) but I've done my bit by answering any questions I can and contributed to the Wiki.

Sadly, with some members its just take take take, and with others its not reading threads before asking common questions.

Edited by Gibbo501