[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pakatus

well...no avail.

1 - Cant create a EXT partition on clockwork mod...it returns me an error all the time :)

2 - Created a gParted ext partition, before the fat32, still no programs are installed in ext...and free space contemplates the ext partiton instead of the fat32 0_o

3 - Created a gParted ext partion, after the fat32 (as i did in pulse), all works well...but internal memory is being used...not the ext partition one.

Last resort: sdParted....doing it today :)

anyone had all this issues to use ext2?

Guest Gibbo501
well...no avail.

1 - Cant create a EXT partition on clockwork mod...it returns me an error all the time :)

2 - Created a gParted ext partition, before the fat32, still no programs are installed in ext...and free space contemplates the ext partiton instead of the fat32 0_o

3 - Created a gParted ext partion, after the fat32 (as i did in pulse), all works well...but internal memory is being used...not the ext partition one.

Last resort: sdParted....doing it today :)

anyone had all this issues to use ext2?

According to Villainron:

Partition your SD card FIRST, the partitioning tools within the ClockworkMod recovery are currently BROKEN.

Backup whatever data you wish to keep from the card.

Use your Linux distro (OR GParted Live) to partition your SD card.

First partition MUST be FAT32, size will usually be the size of your SD card LESS the size of your EXT2

Last partition MUST be EXT2, size will be what you decide is best. I personally use 512MB

Both partitions MUST be primary partitions.

DO NOT FORMAT THE EXT PARTITION TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN EXT2. THE ZTE BLADE KERNEL DOES NOT SUPPORT EXT3 OR 4

Edited by Gibbo501

Guest glossywhite
I tell you what then, you have three options:

1) Buy a subscription

2) Build your own ROM from scratch

3) Pester Orange for a custom ROM

These guys are spending a lot of their own time and energy getting these custom ROMs right and out. I think a sub is a small price to pay to expand your phone (which you've already got for a bargain price).

I've not subscribed yet (I certainly will when I'm ready to put on a custom ROM) but I've done my bit by answering any questions I can and contributed to the Wiki.

Sadly, with some members its just take take take, and with others its not reading threads before asking common questions.

self righteous, much?

Guest glossywhite
dickhead ,lots :P

I see you're one of these types who thinks that teenage profanity and a self referential Smiley makes them sound clever? Do you have the level of intellect needed to string together a sensible reply?

The over usage of profanity has the reverse of the desired effect; it makes you come across as an illiterate buffoon, whilst conveying zero insult to the recipient. Swearing IS big and clever... if you're 12, aspiring to the behaviour of a 16 year old.

Guest Gibbo501
self righteous, much?

Nope, just trying to contribute to the forum in a positive way, rather than the negative way you're doing.

If you don't like the way this forum is run, find another. You're not going to get far making accusations of profiteering against the owner!

I'm just surprised someone who'd been on here as long as you is behaving like a noob.

Especially after seeing this thread:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...being-a-moaner/

Pretentious? Moi? :P

Edited by Gibbo501

Guest glossywhite
Nope, just trying to contribute to the forum in a positive way, rather than the negative way you're doing.

If you don't like the way this forum is run, find another. You're not going to get far making accusations of profiteering against the owner!

I'm just surprised someone who'd been on here as long as you is behaving like a noob.

Pretentious? Moi? :P

Sure are a defensive bunch, ever since I made a light hearted comment about funding... and I don't recall having said that it was a BAD thing to do...

Hmmmm

Edited by glossywhite

Guest JingleManSweep
Sure are a defensive bunch, ever since I made a light hearted comment about funding...

You also made reference to all the custom ROM developers as "hobbyists" and "amateurs". You do have a way of winding people up. If I didn't know better, I'd say you are just trolling this community. Just be careful, as you may need the forums help in future.

Guest glossywhite
You also made reference to all the custom ROM developers as "hobbyists" and "amateurs". You do have a way of winding people up. If I didn't know better, I'd say you are just trolling this community. Just be careful, as you may need the forums help in future.

Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist, and would you care to point me to where I mentioned the word "amateurs"?

You seem to be on the defence regarding hobbies - do you think the whole Linux community was started by paid professionals? One might suggest you Google "Linus Torvalds", and enlighten yourself as to his motives for writing the Linux kernel. A hobby, essentially, as it is for MANY software devs. A hobby is a passion, and it's bewildering that you imply that one should somehow feel insulted by this moniker.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest JingleManSweep
what makes us think that a few people tinkering on their home computers, can make the phone perform better than it does straight from the factory?

Well, they did. Ask the SF (and Pulse) users on this forum. I also own a Pulse and the ROM developers made that device perform way better than it did from the factory. You already felt the need to apologise for that statement, as well as softening your rant about Paul here at MoDaCo "milking the cash cow" because he's taken a little over two weeks in releasing a custom ROM to non-paying members.

And you keep referring to Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman like you are some kind of open source king. Most of the advanced forum users here have been using Linux (and other open source technologies) for years (I've been using it since Redhat 9 days), and most of us know that Stallman created the GNU toolkit which merged with Linus' kernel to become GNU/Linux. Oh, and that Van Rossum developed Python and Gosling developed Java. Oooh, and that Debian was named after its creator and his wife, and that the Linux "dd" command actually stands for "carbon copy", but "cc" was already used for the native C compiler. Yawn!

I've really had enough of your trolling attitude, and by the sounds of it, so have many of the other forum users here. If you have nothing positive to contribute and refuse to channel any complaints/issues you may have via the correct channels, then no wonder people react to you like they are doing. If you want to carry on acting like a child, go right ahead.

Feel free to construct a witty, clever retort and post it back here. You won't get any further response from me because it is a waste of my time.

Guest glossywhite
Well, they did. Ask the SF (and Pulse) users on this forum. I also own a Pulse and the ROM developers made that device perform way better than it did from the factory. You already felt the need to apologise for that statement, as well as softening your rant about Paul here at MoDaCo "milking the cash cow" because he's taken a little over two weeks in releasing a custom ROM to non-paying members.

And you keep referring to Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman like you are some kind of open source king. Most of the advanced forum users here have been using Linux (and other open source technologies) for years (I've been using it since Redhat 9 days), and most of us know that Stallman created the GNU toolkit which merged with Linus' kernel to become GNU/Linux. Oh, and that Van Rossum developed Python and Gosling developed Java. Oooh, and that Debian was named after its creator and his wife, and that the Linux "dd" command actually stands for "carbon copy", but "cc" was already used for the native C compiler. Yawn!

I've really had enough of your trolling attitude, and by the sounds of it, so have many of the other forum users here. If you have nothing positive to contribute and refuse to channel any complaints/issues you may have via the correct channels, then no wonder people react to you like they are doing. If you want to carry on acting like a child, go right ahead.

Feel free to construct a witty, clever retort and post it back here. You won't get any further response from me because it is a waste of my time.

It would appear that you just wasted your time, already. Too late! :P

I still cannot see the word "amateurs"... so that's a lie.

Ironic that you imply that I wish to be thought of as some kind of Linux "King", but then continue to attempt to, subvsersively, "out-King" me, by packing in as much GNU/Linux/OSS trivia into one sentence as you possibly can, trying to pass it off in a nonchalant way. :D

The reason I mentioned HOBBIES was the fact that you have implied that being a hobbyist is a bad thing. I was referring you to an example which is someone you could identify with, what with this being a LINUX BASED os, and all that. I have ZERO desire to prove to a bunch of strangers what I know or don't know - if I knew it all, I wouldn't be on a forum. I don't know it all by ANY means! I couldn't care less what I know or don't - what I do know is valuable to me, but I have MUCH to learn, yet, as we all do.

Did I hit your competitive geek nerve? :D Let's get this into perspective - this is just a forum... you need to chill a little.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest JingleManSweep
anyway know if this phone supports push email?

Yes (in some respects). If you use the standard Gmail application with a Gmail account, then the email is pushed to you. It has recently been converted to use Google's "Cloud To Device Messaging" (C2DM) system. This is the same system that "Chrome To Phone" uses. More information at: http://code.google.com/android/c2dm/index.html

The normal Email application allows the configuration of POP3 or IMAP accounts. These are not "push email" and require your phone to poll the server.

Guest rickywyatt
Changelog

r4

• Updated Android Market (2.2 features)
  • Optional A2SD
  • Updated Sound Recorder
  • Updated framework-res and Launcher (remove Orange default wallpaper)
  • Component updates
    • Hardware acceleration enabled
    • Hugely expanded APN list
    • Core app updates (Maps etc.)
    • MoDaCo Boot Logo
    • Minor WiFi changes
    • A few other minor tweaks and changes to juice up performance and maximise compatability

• Added Genie Widget
      • Removed duplicate directory (a relic from my testing)
      • r1

[*]Initial Release

hi paul are you planing to over clock the cpu?

Not sure if anyone can help, buuuut.

Installed clockwork mod, and the r3 superboot and now this r4 ROM. But when I use recovery to try and partition my sd card to use A2SD, it gives me an error, telling me to check my phone's temp log file or something.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Guest BigBearMDC

Oh my, please stop this guys. Insulting others is not what this community is meant to be used for (although you're trying your best to hide your insults).

Best regards,

BB

Guest Gerson2k
Not sure if anyone can help, buuuut.

Installed clockwork mod, and the r3 superboot and now this r4 ROM. But when I use recovery to try and partition my sd card to use A2SD, it gives me an error, telling me to check my phone's temp log file or something.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

The clockwork mod recovery SD patition tool isn't working.

I'd recommend using GParted.

Guest ritterkeks

Hello there and thanks for cooking.

Will try to flash your de-orangeated rom today.

I come from the WM Section and have to say, I am amazed how much you get for the price.

Although I already had some disappointment:

-(of course its a bit laggy... )

-bought a bluetooth a2dp headset along with the SF and the connection is VERY bad :/ any idea how to tweak bluetooth settings to make the connection more stable?

-atm I don't have internet access at home so I used wireless / USB tethering with my HTC Kaiser. Now I wanted to do alike with the SF, but even if I rooted it to use these apps, there seems to be missing support for tethering in the kernel. -> "No netfilter"

-and finally I of course wanted to try "Smart Alarm Clock" ("sleep cycle"), now that I have a device with a g-sensor. But sadly the program cant access the g-sensor when the SF is turned off, alike many other more popular phones. -> android firmware bug

I hope that we will be able to get this fixed, by bringing newer kernel and firmware to the SF...

Any way I can help you with ROM development?

Where can I find a start in getting into the systems innards?

--ritterkeks

Guest mrchris
thanks paul, im currently on r3, is there anyway i can upgrade to r4 without losing all my settings?

Hi, I updated from r3 to r4 this morning and all settings have remained in place